http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:48:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea open stress test  (Read 15313 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »

I'm told:
http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3099
Is a good place to find info for new players and the "things you wish you knew when you started playing" sort of stuff, at the official forums.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »

I caved there is just something about being a pirate my first MMO guys be gentle with me.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:01 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on January 25, 2008, 01:51:37 AM

I caved there is just something about being a pirate my first MMO guys be gentle with me.

Sweet!! Join us in the Morgan server, Pirate faction. Send a tell to Harkonis Sparx to join our society. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2008, 02:11:22 AM »

I will as soon as I eat dinner and get installed. thumbsup

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »

Hello sailors!!!  Captain Flamb Oyant of the Morgan server is here to plunder your booty!!!

icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2008, 03:40:04 AM »

Should have known that was you Ceekay smile

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2008, 04:50:55 AM »

Ceekay: LOL

Awesome haha  thumbsup thumbsup

Semper Fidelis

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:17 AM »

I have to say, from all the PC's I've seen so far, I definitely stand out.  I'm kind of underwhelmed by the graphics though, but then again I was mostly in town tonight so that might change.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »

Anyone else considering making a non-pirate guild on another server?  A friend and I want to start out as military officers to begin with, we really want to get into PVP and some of the big fights around contested ports.

All this pirating on Morgan sounds fun, but sometimes you want to break out the big guns, or for others, you want you trade and build up to the highest levels.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2008, 08:00:28 AM

Anyone else considering making a non-pirate guild on another server?  A friend and I want to start out as military officers to begin with, we really want to get into PVP and some of the big fights around contested ports.

All this pirating on Morgan sounds fun, but sometimes you want to break out the big guns, or for others, you want you trade and build up to the highest levels.

While I am enjoying the society, to be honest British Freetrader was my first choice of character. I actually had created one on Morgan and got to lvl 8 before deleting and rerolling pirate to be in the society.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »

I'm not opposed to rolling as a different faction on another server.  I do think most people seem to misunderstand what pirates can and can't do however.  Pirates can do almost everything the other nations can do except permanently capture or lose ports.  They can still contend for them, still fight the huge battles of 25v25 for the ports.  I'm interested in trying out some of the other careers at some point and obviously can't do that as a pirate, but once again most of what they can do is just a different flavor and not a completly new world.  Pirate traders can do a lot of the things Freetraders can except the ability to check markets without being there.   Pirate production is only limited by not being able to make mastercraft (the final tier) of ships. 

A large part of why I decided to go pirate was because of the flexibility combined with the easier access to pvp.  Pvp is also much more forgiving to pirates in general since most of our ships aren't build and paid for. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »

PDF manual
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2008, 08:00:28 AM

I started a french naval officer on guadalupe or however the hell you spell it just to have something different to do when I want something other than plundering. Don't get me wrong I like the plundering, but being an underdog on a low pop server sounds like fun too. Stay the hell away from blackbeard server. That thing is getting hammered.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:35 AM »

What a great time running missions tonight.

A few pics from one particular mission, then a pic of me...

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »

Cool spot there arkon!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on January 26, 2008, 03:18:05 AM

Cool spot there arkon!

Yeah, it is in a mission, the last part of the first chapter of the story mission.  I just had to take screenshots.. made me wish I was named One Eye Willy, or perhaps Chester Copperpot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06:15 AM »

I present to you the new Captain Flamb Oyant!!!!

and his ship, scourge of the 7 seas, bringer of death and destruction, the ill omen of the Caribbean, salty dawgs everywhere say hello to...

THE BUFFY!!!!

so, do we have a guild logo I can slap on her?

Because I can,
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2008, 08:39:01 AM »

Any buddy keys available?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2008, 06:06:15 AM

ROFL

I do say - that'll get you a LOT of second looks. Nicely done. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »

Careful you don't break a finger nail blowing your nose... nod

Not sure you would have lasted very long in the real World of Pirates looking like that..

Oh wait, I heard One Eyed Jack was a little limp in the wrist himself...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »

I got to put some real time into the game this weekend finally.  I have been playing with a good friend of mine, and we got to do a good number of missions together.  I am quite certain that the worst part of this game is the first impression it gives, which in my humble opinion, is just a bit north of atrocious. 

What I am discovering as I play longer though, is that things get better.  Now, I don't think I've reached the advanced stages of the game yet, the part that Farscry attests makes you realize the game is not really that great, so I'm still pretty positive from an impressions standpoint.  IMO, Pirates of the Burning Sea is a ship combat game (much in the spirit of EVE Online) with an avatar wrapper.  The land graphics, land combat, land missions, etc. serve a purpose, and as such, do fine.  But the fact of the matter is, this is a game centering around Societies, their members, their ships, their ports, and the ebb and flow of the world economy and how it affects the 4 factions.  I think I appreciate the game as much for 'what it is not' as I do 'what it is'.  It is not WoW, EQ2, or LotRO on the High Seas, and anyone expecting it to be will probably be somewhat disappointed.  I draw more in common with EVE than anything else, although imo it is more engaging from early on due to the more user-friendly learning curve.  I also think that the economy was built for the long-haul, and trying to assess it this early on is a bit difficult.  I still don't even fully understand the ins-and-outs of it yet, and I've been messing with it some.

I think it has taken me a lot longer to come to the same conclusions so many others have already stated.  The game is more than just taking your little gay-looking avatar around and stabbing people with your sword to collect experience points and gold.  There is certainly more of a "meta-game" here, and now we just wait and see how it develops I suppose.  I'm not sure how much I would say I like the game, other than to positively comment on the fun ship battles and the different take on the economic model. The time period is not something I'm overly familiar with, which could be good or bad I guess.  I will wholeheartily agree with Jarrod's assessment that playing with people is more fun than playing solo though.  Not that playing alone is bad, it's just that fighting other ships with someone is really cool.

The missions I have encountered so far are pretty good, and seem to fit the time period.  Of course I have no idea what sort of things happened in the life of a 1700's captain, but I find it mostly believable I suppose.  I also want to comment on the avatar fighting, because for me, there really are two different kinds.  The first kind is avatar fighting involving boarding a ship.  I don't know enough words in the English language to describe how piss-poor I think this part of the game is, so I won't even bother trying.  The second kind, which involves missions and more one-on-one type of fights, I actually like.  It isn't going to win any awards or anything, but I find it kind of enjoyable as I get more skills that help me skewer my opposing swashbucklers.

The reviews for the game will be interesting to keep tabs on.  I think reviewers could be very tough on this game.  There is quite a bit left to do to polish things up.  On the other hand, it definitely tries to branch out a bit, and it could receive a bunch of grace points for that. 

I would like to hear some updated impressions from people who have gotten up to their low twenties or higher in level, as I'm not there yet.  I wonder if things continue to look up as new ships, armaments, skills, ship attachments, quests, etc... are introduced, or if it instead becomes a repetitive bore to play.  How are things on Morgan developing?  Has contention reached a point where some cool things are happening from a trade/port/national combat aspect yet?  If so, what role do you see the pirates playing in the whole thing?  Hired mercenaries that answer to the highest-bidding nation or simply wildcards that go around mucking things up wherever they can?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:03:43 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2008, 06:06:15 AM

Yellow outfit and pink ship, what you couldn't think of a combination that clashes more than that?

I'm still enjoying it as a mostly solo game, I did do the big group mission out of the newbie port (Red Tide) with the Morgan Pirate crew. 6 of us against 13 NPC ships and then 4 or 5 more after that. Big fun. Oh and I like capturing ships. A lot!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

I bought this over the weekend (had a Best Buy discount coupon). Not sure when I will set sail. smile

Playing
PC
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »

Forums should be up now.  Please let me know asap if they aren't behaving. 

www.harkonis.com
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »

I wanna try this game so bad..
But I am worried that it will end up on my shelf after a month..
.. right next to Lord of the Rings online..
..which is next to Dungeons and Dragons online..
.. which is next to RF Online..
... which is right below City of Heroes..
.. which should be next to FFXI that is not there due to somebody still not returning it to me.. STILL.. *cough*purge*cough*

Gonna eat your face
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on January 28, 2008, 11:45:01 PM

I wanna try this game so bad..
But I am worried that it will end up on my shelf after a month..
.. right next to Lord of the Rings online..
..which is next to Dungeons and Dragons online..
.. which is next to RF Online..
... which is right below City of Heroes..
.. which should be next to FFXI that is not there due to somebody still not returning it to me.. STILL.. *cough*purge*cough*

I felt the same way. I got a 14 day trial from a kind soul here. I didn't like it at all. So thanks to the trial I didn't have to waste money on another "book-end" for my shelf.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:55 AM »

Attempting to configure my new computer... so I hopefully will be on soon.

Probably have to go acquire a new power supply.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2008, 02:27:01 AM »

Ok, ummmmm. Trying to figure if this game is fun or not.

I am a French Navel Officer on the morgan server and I got a quick question. After you fight a battle with your ship, do you have to repair it? If so, how?

Also, what happens if your ship gets sunk?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2008, 04:56:03 AM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on January 30, 2008, 02:27:01 AM

I am a French Navel Officer on the morgan server and I got a quick question. After you fight a battle with your ship, do you have to repair it? If so, how?

it looks like it's automatically repaired from what I've seen.  I haven't gotten sunk yet, but I believe you lose a point of durability from your ship.  If it hits zero durability it goes bye bye.

seeing as you are French, remember that your most important skill is 'Surrender'.  It should be under your ship skills.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2008, 05:52:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2008, 04:56:03 AM

Quote from: Scoop20906 on January 30, 2008, 02:27:01 AM

it looks like it's automatically repaired from what I've seen.  I haven't gotten sunk yet, but I believe you lose a point of durability from your ship.  If it hits zero durability it goes bye bye.

seeing as you are French, remember that your most important skill is 'Surrender'.  It should be under your ship skills.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Semper Fidelis

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »

Damn it.. I keep watching gameplay video's of this game... and it's slowly sucking me in.

Connan keeps getting delayed and Darkfall is in a galaxy far far away.

If I do end up grabbing this game, is there a server that you guys are playing on?

Gonna eat your face
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:03 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on January 30, 2008, 11:37:43 PM

If I do end up grabbing this game, is there a server that you guys are playing on?

We have a 20+ ship pirate society on Morgan that's been fairly active.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »

Gamespy had a pretty enthusiastic review:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/pirates-of-the-burning-sea/849204p1.html
They retain some concerns they had early on about the lack of better tutorials to introduce new players (it seems to throw you into the deep end of the pool quickly, I gather), and the avatar stuff doesn't seem to match the ship stuff in quality (even people I know who lack the game say it needs some work). Other than that, they're pretty crazy about the ship stuff, the "meta game" (where PVE, PVP and combatants and merchants all contribute to something bigger), the quality of the single player quests, and just about everything else. smile
Even better, regardless of level or preferred play style everyone in the game can make a meaningful contribution to their nation. Freetraders who like playing the economic game are needed to produce and deliver the goods that generate unrest. Generating unrest opens up PvP zones outside the port that attracts Pirate-players looking for valuable booty. This in turn pulls in Navy players to protect player-merchants and Privateers hunting Pirate scalps. One of the most extraordinary experiences in the few weeks since the game launched has been watching the discussion in the chat channels move from people just out for themselves to a genuine "patriotism" for their in-game national identities.
I spent some time at least reading the manual, and the ship guide in the game box last night. The manual is OK but sort of screams "buy the official strategy guide if you really need guidance."  icon_neutral It's cool that fans designed the ship models displayed in the ship guide (I think they did so using the ship editor long before the game even hit beta, if I recall).

And from some interviews I've read they do plan to work on avatar animations, and some new camera views for ships so that you can focus in on your ship captain/avatar more readily.

I haven't set sail yet, but the game box is opened, so I'm committed.  icon_smile I'm big on protecting people, so I thinK Navy might be my style.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. Er, assuming I get competent at the ship combat that is. Otherwise, you might see me steering a yacht.  icon_mrgreen
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:56:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »

I'm liking the game, I can see getting into it more as I progress. Trying to save up for a hermes packet boat after losing my spiffy bermuda sloop. Couple more levels and I should be there. And whoever said it was right, you level up by killing pirates in the open see then come back into town and just burn through the missions to get all the money. Seems to have worked well.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2008, 09:15:17 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on February 05, 2008, 07:24:44 PM

Trying to save up for a hermes packet boat after losing my spiffy bermuda sloop. Couple more levels and I should be there.

/giggle

Silly nationals.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2008, 12:06:43 AM »

I'm liking the game, I can see getting into it more as I progress. Trying to save up for a hermes packet boat after losing my spiffy bermuda sloop. Couple more levels and I should be there. And whoever said it was right, you level up by killing pirates in the open see then come back into town and just burn through the missions to get all the money. Seems to have worked well.

Mediator Cutter sir.

Just Hiro will do.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on February 06, 2008, 12:06:43 AM

Mediator Cutter sir.

The Mediator is one fine little vessel.

In fact I sailed mine until level 19, where I stole a Hermes Sleek...which I've sailed through 25 so far. I have a MC Locust I'm working on setting up, I just haven't decided hot to outfit it yet. I tell you though, I'd check to see how close a standard Hermes performs to the Cutter....I've wuv my Hermes!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2008, 05:08:05 AM »

Was reading a Gamesplut interview:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185561.html?tag=latestnews;title;2
Some interesting thoughts on solo vs. grouping (apparently about 80% of the missions are soloable):
There's a temptation to try to ensure your players are always having peak experiences, involved in groups, and attacking difficult challenges. The temptation leads to things like FFXI's mandatory grouping. On the other hand, if you can always solo everything, while you avoid that problem, you never have those peak experiences.

What we're trying to do with our new content--Red Tide, a challenging low-level mission, and the upcoming Bey's Retreat, a very difficult midlevel encounter--is strike a balance between the two. You can level up solo, but at the same time there are these handcrafted, involved, complex pieces of content waiting for you to get a group together and attack them.
So if I'm using a merchant ship and I team up on one of these instances, do I contribute by catapulting crates of spices? Maybe Rum?  drillsergeant

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2008, 05:55:04 AM »

In honor of Mardi Gras!!!!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 06, 2008, 05:08:05 AM

So if I'm using a merchant ship and I team up on one of these instances, do I contribute by catapulting crates of spices? Maybe Rum?  drillsergeant

No, you just keep your pirate companions happy by tossing the crates of rum towards them. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: