http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:52:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea open stress test  (Read 15604 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 21, 2008, 07:20:52 PM

But even though that is what intrigues me most, I am most interested in how ship combat plays out.  Has anyone played the starfleet command series for the pc?  (those older games by Taldren).  Is the ship combat similar to that in execution?  If it is, it will be tough for me to stay away.

Yes. Tongue

Edit : Hang loose...I'm bored at the office today, so I'll write up some basics on the game and how it plays out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:36:24 PM by Booner » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 21, 2008, 06:19:04 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 21, 2008, 05:38:12 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on January 21, 2008, 03:33:38 PM

Weekend is over... any reports?

Some of you guys don't post on OO or QT3, so surely you're saving your comments for this thread, right!?

I got sucked in by various forum effects, not that I wasn't anticipating it, but Tabula Rasa was holding my attention, that is until NC Soft managed to screw up my billing...so I gave this a try.  Performance issues aside (I am playing on an older rig and there seems to be a nasty memory leak, although the most recent patch supposedly addressed some memory leaks), so I had a few hard crashes this weekend.  Anyways, I am having an absolute blast.  The economy looks to be very deep and there is just something satisfying about overtaking a french merchant ship that is carrying a much larger and more veteran crew than I am, thanks to me having much more manueverability.  I am not very far in yet, only lvl 12 but have loved every minute so far.  Oh and back to performance... other than the memory leak I am playing at 1600x1200 and the game looks great.  I am on a plain jane P4 3.2 ghz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia AGP GeForce 7800 GS.

So are you done with TR?
I'm not that enthralled with TR...Only lv 14, but somethings missing for me.
I know they're different settings, but would you say Pirates is better implemented than TR?

For the time being, yeah I am done with TR.  NC Soft charged me before my 30 days was even up, and charged me for 6 months instead of one.  I had to fight them on it, and finally got the charges credited back, but I cancelled at that point, but may go back now and again.

It is really tough to make any direct comparisons between PotBS and anything else.  The economy, is much like eves, completely player driven.  The ship to ship combat can be very strategic, and it isn't always the biggest ship wins.  I should have destroyed this NPC pirate, but he had the wind and better manueverability, he destroyed me.  The grond combat is meh at best but I don't mind it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »

Since pretty much everyone whose comments I read agrees that the player combat is 'meh' at best, maybe that is what FLS will address first.  That wouldn't be so bad.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »

Alrighty then, here is some basic stuff on PotBS as seen by myself.

After choosing a server...

Character Creation:
You will not have a great selection of faces to choose from, yet the clothing options are vast. Styles, color, trim...hats, vests, shirts, belts, beards, earrings, etc. etc.

Choose a career and nation. Naval Officer (all I've played), Freetrader, and Privateer are all nationals. Pirates on the other hand are just pirates. No nation, no career to speak of other than being a friggin' pirate. smile

Jump in!

Basic Gameplay:
You'll enter into a running tutorial when you start out. This will give you the start of the major storyline, plus get you started on Swashbuckling, Ship to Ship combat, and Boarding.

Once done, you'll be in your starting city where you'll pick up your first missions. Typical MMO set-up with missions, though there are many more than I expected. Your journal will be packed full of stuff to do. There is some variety between land and sea missions. As a Naval Officer...mucho sea battles. Missions are instanced, for better or worse. As you level, you'll need to hit trainers for new skills. You'll alternate between Swashbuckling and Ship skills each level. The skill trees are not very deep, but it is wide.

When it comes up...complete the economy tutorial! It's a must if you want to make big cash in the long run. Not only will it explain the economy, but you'll finish it with some structures that will allow you to produce some basic items.

As you progress through a towns missions, they will eventually require you to travel across the Open Sea to a new town. Open sea is also where PvP and general PvE will occur. Many ships sailing around in miniature. If you see something worth attacking, sail close enough and engage. You'll be instanced into the fight, you also can send up a signal flare that will allow allies to join in....though I've rarely seen it done.

Ship Combat:
You be instanced into the battle. Ship battles are nice in the fact that a smartly-sailed 'lesser' craft can best a 'stronger' craft.

Ship stats include what you'd expect: Number of Cannon, Strength Ratings for the side, bow, stern and sails, Max speed, Acceleration, Maneuverabilty, Number of Crew, blah blah blah. You have various types of cannon shot. Some for blasting through armor, some for the sails and masts some from killing crew.

You'll have various skills that come into play but cost morale. Some buffing skills will give you faster reload times, better range, better defense, more speed, you'll also have debuffing shots that'll disable the opponents rudder for X amount of time, make them more vulnerable to boarding, so on and so on. You'll also have ship outfitting that'll improve your ship stats.

That said, the buffs/debuffs are fairly minor, only a few percentage points one way or another. Using the wind to your advantage, your vessels strengths, your smarts, and outsailing your opponent is just as, if not more important.

Boarding and Swashbuckling:
Once you board a ship, it's you and 6 crew vs the opposing captain and 6 crew. How many of the crew you killed, and had killed of your own, will determine how many waves of reinforcements each side has. If you are out of waves and dead...you lose. 

Swashbuckling in general is fairly bland. Beat down your opponents balance with special skills, then strike for damage with special skills. I'm not sure what exactly FLS can do to drastically improve it at this point other than a revamp.

Economy:
This page is much better at explaining it that I could ever do.  nod

Like the rest of the game, it's casual enough that you can get into it, but not so much that you don't have to think about it.

Anyways...that's the idea of it. Nothing groundbreaking, but I find it a fun diversion from the normal. Oh yeah...it's very solo friendly in the early goings. I can't comment about later, but through level 17 I've only had one mission where a group was required.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »

Level 13 pirate, having some fun.  Especially when Kato and I group up together and wander around sinking and boarding anything that isn't big enough to splat us. 

Just set up a Draughtsmen's office, going for a master draughtsmen's office next and then getting the supplies to build a weapons factory.  That is my extremely haphazard plan for the moment.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on January 21, 2008, 10:51:54 PM

Level 13 pirate, having some fun.  Especially when Kato and I group up together and wander around sinking and boarding anything that isn't big enough to splat us. 

Just set up a Draughtsmen's office, going for a master draughtsmen's office next and then getting the supplies to build a weapons factory.  That is my extremely haphazard plan for the moment.

Having a blast so far grouping with JarrordHK and others with my "fabulous" pirate.  Just gettting started on the economy side of things, it has a slight learning curve but seems really deep and engaging.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 01:32:44 AM »

Since combat is "instanced", is there any type of gamespeed slider that the player can tweak to adjust how fast it rolls along?

I know it's a dumb question, but in looking at videos, some of those ships seem to move ridiculously fast, and I can't imagine how that is unless there is some type of player control over it.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 22, 2008, 01:32:44 AM

Since combat is "instanced", is there any type of gamespeed slider that the player can tweak to adjust how fast it rolls along?

I know it's a dumb question, but in looking at videos, some of those ships seem to move ridiculously fast, and I can't imagine how that is unless there is some type of player control over it.

In Open Sea the ships do indeed move quickly, once combat starts and you are taken into the instance it is much slower.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:36 AM »

Just because.  icon_wink

Lt. John MacMhuirich in Jenny Bay after delivering some prisoners to the magistrate.

Blistering broadsides from the HMS Diemus crippling a pirate vessel.

Boarding action.

Victory! Setting course to my next port.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 05:16:09 AM »

Aha, so that's what the game looks like if you don't have a 4-5 year computer smile

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »

What server(s) are you guys on?

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »

Morgan server, pirate faction for me.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

Morgan, pirate.

Yarr.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

Ahoy! Join us at Morgan! Pirate faction!!!  ninja2

Semper Fidelis

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »

Got a new code, but haven't been able to enter it yet.... want to pirate!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:51 PM »

Can you still get a code?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »

Why the fuck am I so tempted by this?

gellar
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

The code is for the release.  The pre-boarding party is over now.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »

N/A
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:20:11 PM by Booner » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »

I completely and utterly caved.

I'm in.   icon_confused

LD

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 01:59:14 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 21, 2008, 07:20:52 PM

But even though that is what intrigues me most, I am most interested in how ship combat plays out.  Has anyone played the starfleet command series for the pc?  (those older games by Taldren).  Is the ship combat similar to that in execution?  If it is, it will be tough for me to stay away.

Similar, yes. I loved it at first. As I passed the honeymoon and saw how much less depth and complexity it had, though... meh.

If they revamp the ship combat in the future to be more tactical, deep, and (much as I hate the word being tossed around too often) realistic, I would revisit the game.

I genuinely hope those who get into this enjoy it and keep it afloat, because that increases the odds they'll continue beefing it up over time, and maybe it'll get closer to the game I wanted.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »

THE THREE AMIGOS
JarrodHK on the left, I'm in the Middle, and thats Harkonis on the right

The 3 of us ganging up on "helpless" civilians on the seas

Semper Fidelis

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »

You guys look like fashion designers... paranoid
Not that thats a bad thing....

Where do you keep your purse? slywink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »

I got to play for about 2 hours last night.  I need to play more before I post any real impressions other than to say that no amount of warning could have prepared me for how awful the ship boarding combat seems to be.

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »

Anyone with a station account, please log into burningsea.com and go to the user content area.  We have a couple items there that need a total of 25 good votes to get passed to the review committee and put in the game.  They are HH Logo and HH Sail.  I'd like to get them in the game so our ships and jackets can have our logo on them.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 23, 2008, 01:36:16 PM

I got to play for about 2 hours last night.  I need to play more before I post any real impressions other than to say that no amount of warning could have prepared me for how awful the ship boarding combat seems to be.

Really it is, it's a huge blemish in an otherwise truly engrossing game.  It's growing on me more and more as I setup the supply chain and we have several people working together.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 23, 2008, 01:38:07 PM

Really it is, it's a huge blemish in an otherwise truly engrossing game.  It's growing on me more and more as I setup the supply chain and we have several people working together.

I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with that part of the game in order to get involved with this.

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »

I am so frustrated with boarding combat, I'm now going through official forum posts to try and find ways to make it tolerable.
Has anyone tried this?  Does it make things less of a total clusterfuck?

Quote:
If you're tired of your crew running around aimlessly, give them the command to 'hold the line', or even to 'push'. Or, as has been mentioned, 'attack my target'. Heck, you're the captain, why fight? Start the battle, have them hold the line at the stairs then stand on the poop deck shooting whomever you please.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 23, 2008, 01:37:25 PM

Anyone with a station account, please log into burningsea.com and go to the user content area.  We have a couple items there that need a total of 25 good votes to get passed to the review committee and put in the game.  They are HH Logo and HH Sail.  I'd like to get them in the game so our ships and jackets can have our logo on them.

Any chance we can get a direct link to the page with those on it?  I can't find them.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »

Most boarding combat for me is over in about 5 seconds, I hit Push, then fire my gun at the captain, hit the 'Attack my target' then hit the attack to lower their balance and finally an attack or two for damage.  Sometimes I don't make it to the balance attack before the captain is dead.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=uc/viewItem&item_id=20105

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=uc/viewItem&item_id=20103
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 23, 2008, 05:51:46 PM

So I just rate them both 5 stars and that's it?  What exactly do you need for them to get cleared?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

I found this article today, which was encouraging:

December dev article on avatar combat

The summary: 
So where do we go from here? Obviously well be making further tuning changes to the skills as the game goes forward. Hopefully those changes will all be minor: a point of extra damage here, an increase in proc rate there, with the goal of creating skills that are useful for a variety of play styles.

Beyond those tuning changes, we want to move Swashbuckling combat towards a more tactical system. We want you to feel more like a ship captain, leading a small contingent of your crew into combat, and less like a solo adventurer. In order to accomplish this we need to put some fairly significant work into our avatar AIs, and various support systems for a landing party. This will be a major project well start after launch and in the weeks ahead well describe more of where were going with Swashbuckling.

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »

Weird, if it were my game I would've taken the opposite direction: A more refined, intense, and strategic 1 on 1 dueling experience with the rest of the crew in the fight being more of a visual representation of how well the player's duel is doing.  It doesn't feel as piratey to sit your avatar back and play a RTS game with the troops.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2008, 05:41:47 AM »

Well that's where the tactics come in, and I suppose it's also an area where you can get more character diversity.

Some players will go heavy into the tactics route as soon as the option becomes available to them, pumping character points into crew and officer boosting abilities so that his crew become the main fighters and he just supports (think support class in other MMOs) and orders them into positions.  Whereas some will make their captains killing machines, where their crew becomes fodder to keep the enemy crew busy until he can cleave a bloody swath to the enemy captain and cut him down.

Right now, it just sounds like there isn't much going on with ground combat at all.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

When they did the first beta stress test they even stated that they were not happy with the avatar combat.  It got a bit smoother than it was but I dont think the Dev's are that happy with it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »

Played a bit more last night.  I have so many thoughts running around in my head regarding this game, both positive and negative.

It is fun being in a group with players that I know, which is on the Morgan Server as a member of Hark's pirate gang.  But in discovering the Economy tutorial last night, I believe this is where I am going to find my longterm enjoyment.  I am definately making a Freetrader on another server tonight to mess around with this class.

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 24, 2008, 01:30:19 PM

Played a bit more last night.  I have so many thoughts running around in my head regarding this game, both positive and negative.

It is fun being in a group with players that I know, which is on the Morgan Server as a member of Hark's pirate gang.  But in discovering the Economy tutorial last night, I believe this is where I am going to find my longterm enjoyment.  I am definately making a Freetrader on another server tonight to mess around with this class.

You can do most of the economic stuff with a pirate, you just can't build the top tier of any of the branches. Freetrader skills are based around getting added discounts or bonuses to economic things and being able to build the top of each tree.  I'm huge into the economy and that's my main focus in the game but I think I prefer the pirate skillset and combat skills as well, in particular the good stealth combined with kite skills to allow me to run my goods undisturbed so I can not fear for my goods.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 03:35:55 PM »

<sigh> stupid forum effect and pirates.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »

Freetraders get skills that boost speed/manueverability and to prevent grapples.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: