http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perpetual Entertainment cancels Star Trek: Online (sorta)  (Read 2837 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »

Now this really doesn't make too much sense overall, but I'll let WarCry talk about it:

P2 Entertainment - formerly Perpetual Entertainment - has ceased development on Star Trek Online, according to multiple sources at the San Francisco based developer. The news does not, however, mean that the game is canceled. The license, as well as the game's content - but not the code - have been transferred to another Bay Area development studio where work will continue. It is not entirely clear at this time what this means for the individual developers who worked on the project at P2.

As a company, P2 Entertainment will continue on with their profitable Perpetual Platform, which has been licensed to industry leaders like BioWare, and refocus their core business on the casual games market.

Without the code, whoever takes over Star Trek Online will be faced with a lot of work to complete the project, which means that fans may have longer to wait for a completed Star Trek Online.

P2 Entertainment had no comment on the story.

So wait...the license has been transfered, but NOT the code? That just insta-delayed the game for 2 to 3 years at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »

This is for the best-the screens and ideas from that "casual" idea looked so so so bad.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »

Welcome to yesterday Tim.  Pssh....Mr. Go on vacation and don't read the front page. slywink

This is pretty much the death knell for the game - switching devs hasn't worked out well for anyone I can think of.  *cough Starcraft: Ghost cough*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »

Perpetual is just a complete financial mess (I can't even tell you the last game they successfully shipped, I really don't know). While it's tragic for the Star Trek MMO (assuming all the various news scuttlebutt is true), Gods & Heroes was much closer to being a shipping game. Is it more tragic to be close to something ready to release, and having it slip into a black hole; or is it more tragic to be nowhere near shipping, and suddenly have the rug yanked out from under you?  crybaby

I'm an ST fanboy and I would be perfectly happy for the property to fall into NCSoft's or SOE's hands, even if it ended up being a relatively cookie-cutter MMO. For all their faults, those publishers at least actually get their games to launch so you at least have *something* to play, something to... embrace.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Actually I could easily see Tabula Rasa's engine morphing into a Star Trek MMO. Replace wormholes with "beam me up," throw out the firearms, integrate some space travel etc. I don't see it happening, I just don't think you need to reinvent an engine (which often takes years and too much money to create) from scratch to have a fun Star Trek MMO.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:59:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 17, 2008, 06:50:56 PM

Welcome to yesterday Tim.  Pssh....Mr. Go on vacation and don't read the front page. slywink

This is pretty much the death knell for the game - switching devs hasn't worked out well for anyone I can think of.  *cough Starcraft: Ghost cough*

Was'nt LotRO moved around? Its ok..nothingspecial but it did'nt totally suck smile Least from the beta.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

LOTRO sort of rose from the ruins of Middle Earth Online (which Microsoft, who seems to have permanent cold feet about MMOs but not about making malfunctioning consoles or bloated operating systems  Roll Eyes, canceled when Turbine was working with MS).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »

How do you do a Star Trek MMO?  Do you land on a planet and collect 300 tribbles to get your redshirt +1 versus phasors set to stun?

I don't even get it.  Was the plan to have it be mostly starship combat, ala Starfleet Battles?  Or was it going to be a lot of holodeck stuff?  I think a Stargate MMO makes a lot more sense.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 04:37:24 AM »

Looks like maybe Cryptic got the STO license...

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/80669

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:39:00 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

I like the interface!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 18, 2008, 12:24:40 PM

I like the interface!

Wooooow that looks awful. Running around a planet killing Gorn/insert species here/like a generic Everquest clone is absolutely the antithesis of Star Trek. Awesome.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

Is that guy's name really Elephant?  I think the Red Shirt needs to die.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 18, 2008, 12:46:41 PM

I like the interface!

Wooooow that looks awful. Running around a planet killing Gorn/insert species here/like a generic Everquest clone is absolutely the antithesis of Star Trek. Awesome.

Exactly.  Which is why the game will not do well in my opinion.  Much more starship combat, much less shoot Gorn with phasors needed.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 18, 2008, 01:08:36 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 18, 2008, 12:46:41 PM

I like the interface!

Exactly.  Which is why the game will not do well in my opinion.  Much more starship combat, much less shoot Gorn with phasors needed.

*nod*  I don't think anyone said "Hey...I wanna go on AWAY missions!"  - all of us would rather pilot a starship.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 17, 2008, 06:50:56 PM

I miss it once and you go yell at me.  crybaby Tongue

That said - just give me ship to ship combat and lots of ground shooting (but I want a true FPS on the ground - none of this 'stand 5 feet from each other and trade blows crap' like in most MMOs) and I'll be a very happy subscriber. Tabula Rasa makes a decent start for the ground combat.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 17, 2008, 07:33:28 PM

How do you do a Star Trek MMO? 

you explore strange new worlds, seek out new civilizations and boldly go where every man has gone before: the Paris Hilton.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

You explore strange new worlds, seek out new civilizations and boldly go where every man has gone before: the Paris Hilton. and have sex with every color of woman in the universe while speaking...in...broken....and...halting speech!

Fixed that up for ya.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

I could see away team missions being quite fun as long as there's variety, there's some mining of Trek lore and inter-space politics, and the game took advantage of all that back story and history available in the series. All you have to do is go back through all the classic and TNG and Deep Space Nine episodes to see there can be so much more than just "blast 10 groks with my phaser to complete the Grok Hunt Quest." It would just take a developer with a little imagination. But who knows? Maybe you'd have to start with something basic and work from there. I still think that beats letting the license rot.

I love Trek, but somehow the idea of sitting behing a console on the bridge tapping blinking buttons and watching things happen in detached form on a big monitor doesn't excite me (it excited me when watching on TV cause they edit the scenes to make them look exciting). And while I bought ST: Bridge Commander (pity poor Larry Holland these days), I didn't find micro-managing a starship as much fun as I hoped it would be.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »

I find that screenshot right pretty.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

I think Cryptic is just looking for people.
They're knee deep in Marvel.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 18, 2008, 07:26:44 PM

I find that screenshot right pretty.

It looks like utter crap man frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 05:48:01 PM »

Kohnke settled its lawsuit with Perpetual
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=postmessage&boardid=1&id=0&threadid=84449

Although, given that Perpetual seems to be like the Titanic and Hindenburg rolled together, perhaps they realized there was no money to be gotten from a sinking company.  Roll Eyes

As far as Cryptic, the jump in speculation logic was that Marvel Universe appears to be dead (Microsoft won't even comment about the game much less hype it, or so news sites say). I think it was telling that when a bunch of news sites speculated MU was kaput, I didn't see a bunch of PR flaks from MS coming down off the mountain to say "no no no! We're still working on it!" Maybe I missed something but it seemed like the only response was crickets chirping.  Tongue

Although Cryptic had other unannounced projects, the speculation was maybe they might be interested in another established IP, though I don't think Jack Emmert is a trekkie per se.

I would more think they'd look for another comics company whose characters they could work on (Dark Horse? Image?). I think DC had a separate MMO project with someone else lined up though I haven't heard anything more on that in ages either.

If in fact MU is dead, then Cryptic selling off the CoX franchise (and letting virtually the entire CoX team move over to NCSoft) doesn't really look so smart. icon_confused I would be happy if Statesman, er, the artist formerly known as Statesman, showed up here and said, "You are WRONG, garbanzo beans breath! Marvel Universe is going to ROCK YOUR WORLD!" I don't see that happening...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:51:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »

Add another few companies to the pile who learned that MMOGs are not the path to fame and fortune.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »

Hey Star Trek Games (supposedly they were involved with the game a bit) is beginning a pretty cool inside look at the dead project now that it appears that Perpetual will have to totally liquidate. One of the strange things is that Bioware was apparently licensing Perpetual's engine -- or at least some sort of technology from them -- for its upcoming MMO project so it'll be curious to see what their technology's fate will be. Who knows, perhaps the Perpetual engine/tech will fall into public domain and we'll soon see fans making their own MMOs and even filing for bankruptcy on their own!  Tongue

This is the first entry (a photo of the MMO design document's cover):
http://startrek-games.com/startrekforum/showthread.php?p=116567
Starting today with this announcement and on each proceeding Wednesday we will publish a portion of the book for all to see. You'll have the first inside look at the games design, storyline, character progression and more. Every Wednesday until the entire book is published.

Prepare to be amazed (or maybe aghast) at what you learn. You'll find out why Mad Doc Software, in creating Star Trek Legacy (a game I served as a developer on), actually butted heads with Perpetual regarding the MMO. Loads of never before revealed information awaits
Interesting. I'd love to see someone do something like this for Perpetual's other canceled MMO Gods and Heroes.

Blue's News mentioned this, it was kind of buried between various other items and caught my eye.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:38:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

Not quite time to start a new STO thread just yet, but the scuttlebutt is Cryptic's "27 days and counting" countdown at their site is a countdown to their announcing themselves as the new Star Trek Online developer:
http://www.crypticstudios.com/index.php

The countdown is a little square image in the middle, under games.

Mentioned at Blues:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=88979
And Shack:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53389

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

Very cool. Now if they'd just make it sorta like how Eve Online plays... biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »

I was excited about STO for a while before realizing what a Hindenburg Meets the Titantic disaster Perpetual was (taking this and Gods & Heroes down in flames).

But yeah, the question was whether the game was going to be "WoW with Phasers" - with Tribbles instead of rats -- or if you were going to command your own starship full of other players or an AI crew, etc.

All I knew was that I would be an ideal "Red Shirt," since I spend so much time in mmo's getting killed.  icon_razz

Eve of course being the notable exception, the mmog world hasn't been too kind to vehicular or space-type MMOs. I can't even really name all that many (Auto Assault, Earth and Beyond, various smaller ones). I just think it's harder to get attached to an inanimate object than it is to an avatar of some sort.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:49:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 05:37:22 AM »

Heh, the document won't be posted. There's been drama going on apparently where lawyers contacted someone on the site after they found out what was going to be posted, and also someone from the now defunct Perpetual chimed in about not wanting the document online. So there you go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: