http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 06:47:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New WOW Update (12/7, dated as 12/3)  (Read 2193 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2004, 08:10:57 AM »

So the only thing the update says that it changes is the realm selection screens (removing time-zone info) but the patch is over 11 megs and seems to be changing map files and other things.  Any clue what any other changes might be?

The date is also different than what the patch says.  What's up with that?  I've started and restarted the game numerous times over the past few days and weekend, so I'm assuming this is a new patch and not something I missed.  

What the crap?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 01:56:06 PM »

There's a lot of speculation on the offical boards about what else might have changed since there's a whole lot of updating going on with that patch.  Some folks were guessing things like fixes to common places where people were getting stuck and things of that nature.  I suspect some other small fixes may have made their way in as well.

Still, it would've been nice for them to let us know everything the patch did, at least in summary, but it seems pretty much par for the course for MMOs to have incomplete patch notes.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:08:50 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
There's a lot of speculation on the offical boards about what else might have changed since there's a whole lot of updating going on with that patch.  Some folks were guessing things like fixes to common places where people were getting stuck and things of that nature.  I suspect some other small fixes may have made their way in as well.

Still, it would've been nice for them to let us know everything the patch did, at least in summary, but it seems pretty much par for the course for MMOs to have incomplete patch notes.

I don't know. DaoC was always pretty good about telling you exactly what a patch does. Sure, every now and then something would slip through and be implemented but not in the patch notes, but that did not happen a lot.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 03:30:08 PM »

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the patch broke my CosmosUI setup.  And the new one on their site doesn't seem to work with it, either.

i downloaded gypsy and it KIND OF works, but it doesn't allow me to move the hotbars and things to my liking  :cry:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 03:31:38 PM »

It should hepcat.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 03:40:58 PM »

I had to go and get the latest release of Cosmos.  It didnt work right off the bat, and I had to walk a friend through it.  Since it appears they have the patcher working now, just make sure you run cosmos.exe after your WoW client patches itself.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 04:16:57 PM »

Thanks guys, i'll give it a shot tonight.

Booner, i couldn't move the chat window at all.  and the side hotbars were stuck way up on the screen with no handle to grab them by for drag and drop.  it could, of course, simply be that i messed up the installation.   biggrin

in any case, i'll probably go back to cosmos tonight if it's working now.  i had it just the way i liked it and i'm such a creature of habit when it comes to games that it throws me off to mess with my "system".

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 04:17:37 PM »

Cosmos works..Alex linked to his latest version from the wow boards. It has some new features but it also removed Tackle Box .,.my favorite  frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 04:18:53 PM »

I found this temporary fix

after tonights patch, your Mod's will no longer work unless you have downloaded a new version.
but you can fix them yourself with a few minutes time and notepad (or wordpad)

go into the directory where you Mod's are stored (Interface/AddOns)

now you'll have to go into each Mod's directory and look for the .toc file

open up the .toc file with notepad (or wordpad) and change the number 4062 to 4114

exit and save

FIXED!
now just relog in and it should be working

also note that if you have a FramesXML directory in your Interface directory, there may also be .toc files in there too, which also require editting.

this info was found on the official forums Interface area

enjoy

I tried it and it seems to be working.  Keep in mind that if you're running Cosmos, as I am, there are quite a few files that will need to be modified.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 04:23:27 PM »

i had it just the way i liked it and i'm such a creature of habit when it comes to games that it throws me off to mess with my "system".

I know what you mean. When I started up after the patch, I'm sure I sat there with an extremely befuddled look on my face for a minute or too.

What is this crap!!?? :shock:

Oh, just the default UI.  :lol:
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 04:27:56 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Cosmos works..Alex linked to his latest version from the wow boards. It has some new features but it also removed Tackle Box .,.my favorite  frown

No Tackle Box!? frown

That sucks.

Maybe they can get it working again. I hate fishing it it current form due to all the unneeded mouse movements because of the static default interface. They they would just let us move the loot window where we wanted it would not be so bad.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 02:30:18 PM »

Toe, you can auto-loot during fishing just like almost everywhere else...just hold down the shift key while right clicking the bobber.  I can get a pretty good rhythm going using this method.

I suspect Cosmos probably removed the tacklebox (which I've never used) because of the upcoming changes to fishing, which no one knows at this point what that will entail.  There's also been two recent crackdowns on botting, and there may have been some concern that tacklebox might be frowned upon by Bliz.

As for the problem with the UIs, technically the patch didn't break the custom UIs, it's just a natural part of the add-on process.  Bliz intended that the UI developers would need to review their code whenever a patch was released, so they made the UI developers identify the current version number in their files.  Typically getting the UI back up and running is just a matter of making that version number update in the files yourself, or you can always wait the day or two (sometimes as little as an hour) for the UI programmer to make the change.

It looks like Bliz got flooded with support requests because of this behavior, so they're supposedly changing it in the near future so add-ons no longer require the version checking.  There's also going to be some UI on the character select screen to manually enable/disable add-ons and to see which ones are currently installed.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 02:34:38 PM »

It seems Blizzard is handling things better than any other company I've seen.  Bravo.

Wake up.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 12:50:05 AM »

The update has done wonders for my framerate while flying between cities.  It used to be really choppy on my low-end system but now it's fairly smooth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: