http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 18924 times)
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »

I've been giving this one a shot. At first my impression was 'So it's basically Guild Wars 2 with crappier combat.' But as of level 15 I have to say... holy hell, do they pack content in. This seems like another case of an MMO that's gone around and picked the absolute best of the best parts of various other MMOs and crammed them all into their own title in a way that works well.

That said, I am sick of english accents. Can't complain too much about that - last time Kingdom of Amalur tried something different and I ended up hating those even worse.
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »

I have a Guardian Fighter up to lv-24. I've been doing the dungeon runs, questing(main story)and foundry missions. After playing a few foundry made missions, It really is hit or miss at this point. But the potential for fun quests is huge. Played yours Tilt, not blowing smoke up.....but you are head and shoulders better than most of the ones I've tried.

But my main beef so far are the dungeon runs. They play out like everyone's on blow and suffer from ADD. Running from mob to mob, room to room, never setting up, never needing me, the tank, to server my purpose. No one talking, no one stopping to pick up a lot of the drops...And it feels like the groups are rushing around seeing who will get tops in the results at the end. I dislike the dungeon play so much I'm done with them till a developer decides to make Dungeons more like D&D, than duke nukem.

The game has potential, but I think I will grow tired of the instancing long before I exhaust all the content.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2013, 01:57:55 AM »

Hey Tilt, I played A Hidden Blade and when it ended I wanted to know the rest of the story. Then I came back here and saw that there is a sequel - maybe you should put a note in the quest that the story continues, because otherwise it's just a mystery.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 04, 2013, 12:38:15 AM

I have a Guardian Fighter up to lv-24. I've been doing the dungeon runs, questing(main story)and foundry missions. After playing a few foundry made missions, It really is hit or miss at this point. But the potential for fun quests is huge. Played yours Tilt, not blowing smoke up.....but you are head and shoulders better than most of the ones I've tried.

Thanks! smile There are some gems out there, but they can be hard to find, and they often have other issues due to the author's limited experience with the Foundry and Neverwinter's game balance. For example, I played an awesome little Foundry quest yesterday that was very well written and had plenty of great detail, but I had to drop it after a few fights. The author fell into a very typical trap of making things WAY too difficult. For some reason most authors don't seem to trust Cryptic's balance that they have set up in the Foundry. When authors see an encounter group designated as Hard, they think it's not hard enough and add a couple of other encounters on top of it. What they don't realize is that such a setup becomes impossible for solo players at high levels. Enemies that were easy to fight at level 10 are now very challenging at level 34. I hope this is something they learn with experience, because a lot of quests with fantastic potential are held back by this.

At least the author with the well-written quest I dropped made a new version of it upon my request. It's not out yet, but I'm looking forward to playing it when it is. The quest's name is "A Quiet Afternoon", for the record.

I'm a bit surprised that my quests are being received so well, to tell you the truth. I made these quests for a niche audience (the one that actually reads quest text), but you can see for yourself how popular they have become. I'm steadily climbing in rating, and if it continues like this I might go from the number 2 spot to number 1. smile

Quote from: Teggy on May 04, 2013, 01:57:55 AM

Hey Tilt, I played A Hidden Blade and when it ended I wanted to know the rest of the story. Then I came back here and saw that there is a sequel - maybe you should put a note in the quest that the story continues, because otherwise it's just a mystery.

I actually added "Act 1" and "Act 2", plus some information about the campaign to both quests yesterday. The problem is that when you submit a quest for featuring (which I did with A Hidden Blade, but not The Lanaar Legacy yet), you lock down the current copy of the quest. When Cryptic features it, only that copy is shown and the author can no longer change it. This means that the version of A Hidden Blade you find if you scroll down to my campaign is more up to date than the one you see in the Featured list. I hadn't thought of adding chapter numbers before featuring because I didn't think being featured would separate the quest so completely from the campaign. *shrug* Live and learn.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:42:38 AM by TiLT » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »

I can't find any of you.    Sucks playing alone (with nobody to bounce questions off of).

I also am not sure how I feel about pay to play?   I got a purple box to drop with goodies in it, and I learn that I have to pay cash money to unlock it?    I kinda like my games to have everyone open to me even if I have to pay a lump sum to open it all.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »

I'm lvl 28 now and the Nightmare Lockbox is the only pay to play thing I've seen. And really in the end that's mostly cosmetic (e.g. different mount).
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 04, 2013, 05:47:07 PM

I'm lvl 28 now and the Nightmare Lockbox is the only pay to play thing I've seen. And really in the end that's mostly cosmetic (e.g. different mount).

What is your @ account in game so I can add you?

mine is @nomadrt
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

Hey Tilt - do you know of any way to put a trap door in a room that leads to another map? They have things like this out in the world, but it looks like all the transitions that go down in the foundry are massive holes in the ground.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »

So can you find valuble/rare items in this game without paying money?    In other words, do you have the chance to find rare stuff just by playing normally without transactions?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »

I'm on.  Stromos Tharbane (Guardian) on Mindflayer.

Impressed so far...reminds me a lot of NWN.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:27:37 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »

Is there a way to acquire additional bags without paying $10 for the 24 slot bag?

I'm only level 8 but the lack of bag space is already frustrating.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on May 04, 2013, 07:09:05 PM

Is there a way to acquire additional bags without paying $10 for the 24 slot bag?

I'm only level 8 but the lack of bag space is already frustrating.

You get two free bags as part of the storyline. One very early on, and another as you get closer to level 30.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 04, 2013, 06:06:48 PM

Hey Tilt - do you know of any way to put a trap door in a room that leads to another map? They have things like this out in the world, but it looks like all the transitions that go down in the foundry are massive holes in the ground.

There should be trap door detail objects that you can place, and then you can turn them into map transitions through the story panel. I'm not sure I see what the challenge is here, unless you're trying to do this in a completely wrong way to begin with. Tongue Remember, all map transitions must be part of the story!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 04, 2013, 07:16:47 PM

There should be trap door detail objects that you can place, and then you can turn them into map transitions through the story panel. I'm not sure I see what the challenge is here, unless you're trying to do this in a completely wrong way to begin with. Tongue Remember, all map transitions must be part of the story!

I just couldn't find a trap door detail object - I'll look again.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 04, 2013, 07:25:26 PM

I've seen them used in other quests, so I know they're there. They might not have the name you expect though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2013, 02:50:44 AM »

I know it's still in beta, but a 4-hour server maintenance that starts at 9:00pm on a Saturday?  C'mon now...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2013, 03:06:59 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 04, 2013, 07:34:40 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 04, 2013, 07:25:26 PM

I've seen them used in other quests, so I know they're there. They might not have the name you expect though.

I still can't seem to find it... I even saw the one I'd like on a storyline quest I did - It's a rectangular plate set in the ground and one half is propped open. Oh well, for now I just used the giant opening and worked it into the story. Might actually be better that way. I couldn't figure out a way to make it inactive until something is completed (it is a transport, not an item). It doesn't actually lead to another map either, just another part of the same map.

I'm having fun playing with the editor. I'm curious to what degree you can duplicate things they do in the actual game.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2013, 02:50:44 AM

I know it's still in beta, but a 4-hour server maintenance that starts at 9:00pm on a Saturday?  C'mon now...

Seriously....  They couldn't wait until Mon morning for this??
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2013, 05:11:04 AM »

It's not beta. Calling it beta is a lie. NW has launched.

And I'm guessing that the only reason they took things down at pretty much weekend primetime (for some places) is because they were getting some caution signs on the hardware replacements they put in the other day. And they didn't want things to explode again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 05, 2013, 04:25:46 AM

Seriously....  They couldn't wait until Mon morning for this??

The Foundry servers got extremely unstable yesterday, to the point where people couldn't save whatever they were doing and no quests or reviews would show up in the quest browser for players. I suspect any downtime was because of that.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

So......Guild?  Are we building one?  Are we all joining The Wanderers?   What are we doing?  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

I'm in a large guild that was created by inviting stream viewers of one of the top Smite teams.  Bloodsworn is the name I believe.  Can't go 10 feet without seeing a member.  Good pve and pvp presence.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »

Yeah, if a bunch of people go a guild I'll join. Just send me info. I am lazy.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »

Just got to level 10, really having fun.  Tilt, I just played your "Hidden Blade" quest.  Nice work man, that was lots of fun.  Haven't done any others to compare it to, but I'm sure it's up there in quality.  I keep seeing notices about "skirmishes".  Are these instances that require a party?  RvR stuff?  Not even sure where to find them, so I'm a bit fuzzy on what they are.

Is there an auction house that you can sell items for gold, or is it all those Astral Diamonds?  Also, am I the only one confused by the number of currencies available?  Zen, Diamonds, Seals, Bounties, and a couple others I'm sure I haven't encountered yet.  Haven't been able to wrap my brain around all of them yet.

Quote from: Azhag on May 05, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

Yeah, if a bunch of people go a guild I'll join. Just send me info. I am lazy.

Same here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:04:00 PM by Gratch » Logged

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »

The screen that pops up when you first log on (or if you hit L) has the skirmishes, PvP, Dungeons, etc for Queue.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »

We finally got The Wanderers guild up!!!  Thanks to all involved for their patience.

Please post your @acctname here if you can't find someone to invite you.  Seems like shard you started on doesn't matter (as people have mentioned).  Teggy joined us without incident even though he rolled on a different shard.

Presently these people can invite:

@rittch68
@1Cortilian1
@Phalcan554
@kublaiex
@carverllewis

I've only unlocked the first tier of Guild Bank (it takes crystals) but if it looks like we need more, I'm sure we can work something out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:41:24 PM by rittchard » Logged
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »

@Azhag2

Quote from: rittchard on May 05, 2013, 10:44:30 PM

We finally got The Wanderers guild up!!!  Thanks to all involved for their patience.

Please post your @acctname here if you can't find someone to invite you.  Seems like shard you started on doesn't matter (as people have mentioned).  Teggy joined us without incident even though he rolled on a different shard.

@rittch68
@1Cortilian1
@Phalcan554

I've only unlocked the first tier of Guild Bank (it takes crystals) but if it looks like we need more, I'm sure we can work something out.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 05, 2013, 09:25:20 PM

The screen that pops up when you first log on (or if you hit L) has the skirmishes, PvP, Dungeons, etc for Queue.

You can also hit K and it will show you all the stuff you are eligible to queue for.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 05, 2013, 10:44:30 PM

We finally got The Wanderers guild up!!!  Thanks to all involved for their patience.

Please post your @acctname here if you can't find someone to invite you.  Seems like shard you started on doesn't matter (as people have mentioned).  Teggy joined us without incident even though he rolled on a different shard.

@rittch68
@1Cortilian1
@Phalcan554

Rittchard gave me invite powers to, and I promise that at least I won't make you dance Gangnam Style while wearing nothing but a banana hammock biggrin

Shivra@carverllewis

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:14 PM »

@skinypupy9

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:14 AM »

Anyone know how you get you founders pack items?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:01 AM »

They come as you level up. I forget when for what, but it'll come via mail. E.g. you get mount at lvl 20. Companion and weapons earlier.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:32 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 01, 2013, 06:50:34 AM

Quote from: Punisher on May 01, 2013, 06:38:02 AM

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2013, 07:48:52 AM

The Open Beta becomes available to everyone today, 8 hours from the time of writing. I'm looking forward to impressions from the non-Founder crowd. smile

Just so this is clear, there will be no more character wipes. So even though this is called a beta, it's actually just a soft launch for the game.

Are you sure? I tried looking for info on this but couldn't find it.. i thought there was one more wipe then the headstart stuff starts?
Played for a few hours tonight after I got in... I don't usually do that for too many games... I will probably pickup a founders pack... Definitely the $60 one, but will give some thought towards the $200 one.... Got to think about if the benefits are really worth it to me...

Isn't it too late by now to get the founders packs? I think so, and yes, no more character wipes.
FYI. i bought a founders pack today, so they are still available...
Also, on their extended FAQ it says there will be a wipe prior to headstart...Did headstart already happen?
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297581&viewfull=1#post297581
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2013, 02:54:39 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 06, 2013, 02:50:01 AM

They come as you level up. I forget when for what, but it'll come via mail. E.g. you get mount at lvl 20. Companion and weapons earlier.
oh. i thought this gave you early access to the items, so you didn't have to wait to level up...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »

Someone invite me to the guild! @TiLT42

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 02:53:32 AM

Also, on their extended FAQ it says there will be a wipe prior to headstart...Did headstart already happen?

Headstart was the 5-day period before open beta, so it's already over. There will be no more wipes.

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 02:54:39 AM

oh. i thought this gave you early access to the items, so you didn't have to wait to level up...

You get access to all your Founders items as soon as you reach Protector's Enclave, I believe. You should get two mails containing all your items, even the ones you can't use until level 20 (the mount). The rest of your items can be obtained from an NPC not far from Sergeant Knox. Go through the underpass close to him and you'll see the NPC there.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 06, 2013, 04:46:21 AM

Someone invite me to the guild! @TiLT42

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 02:53:32 AM

Headstart was the 5-day period before open beta, so it's already over. There will be no more wipes.

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 02:54:39 AM

You get access to all your Founders items as soon as you reach Protector's Enclave, I believe. You should get two mails containing all your items, even the ones you can't use until level 20 (the mount). The rest of your items can be obtained from an NPC not far from Sergeant Knox. Go through the underpass close to him and you'll see the NPC there.

I tried going to the founder vendor and he doesn't have anything for me, nor did I get any emails about the stuff. I'm L18... Is there something i need to do in my account like the Zen transfer first? Is there maybe a delay between buying the founder stuff and having it activate? (been about 5-6 hours now..)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 06:33:59 AM

I tried going to the founder vendor and he doesn't have anything for me, nor did I get any emails about the stuff. I'm L18... Is there something i need to do in my account like the Zen transfer first? Is there maybe a delay between buying the founder stuff and having it activate? (been about 5-6 hours now..)

Sounds like something isn't working right. I'd try looking at the Neverwinter forums to see if other people have the same problem, and then sending a support request to Cryptic. You're losing out by not being able to train your pet from early levels.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »

Disregard... 5 minutes after my post here, I got the email and my items were activated... Maybe they are watching this forum..  ninja

do you happen to know where I can buy more bags? running out of room of stuff I am keeping and bank is getting full too.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on May 06, 2013, 07:08:55 AM

Disregard... 5 minutes after my post here, I got the email and my items were activated... Maybe they are watching this forum..  ninja

do you happen to know where I can buy more bags? running out of room of stuff I am keeping and bank is getting full too.

You get a bag around lvl 10 as far as I remember, so that you have two - Then you get another close to lvl 30. If you want more bags, you have to either pay Zen for it through the Zen store, or purchase some of the bags for the insane prices at the AH (Astral diamonds)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »

If you don't mind spending some Zen or AD, a single Greater Bag of Holding makes a huge difference.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: