http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 23418 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »

The Foundry beta ended tonight, so now I have to wait until next weekend myself. At least I'll have time for other projects during that time. slywink After over a month of 24/7 access to the game, this break will feel weird.

Managed to publish the second part of my campaign, The Lanaar Legacy, before the end. It should be available from day 1. Was surprised at just how long it ended up. After four plays, the average playtime is 62 minutes! At least I know I must have done something right when one of the first posts in my announcement thread in the beta forum was from one of the devs going "oooh definitely have to try this one". biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 19, 2013, 04:58:14 AM

At least I know I must have done something right when one of the first posts in my announcement thread in the beta forum was from one of the devs going "oooh definitely have to try this one". biggrin

Yeah, that's quite a positive comment, no? Congratulations. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

finally gave in to the dark side and grabbed a founders pack.  c'mon open beta!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »

Long but good preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AGKI6Crfw&list=UUGhs9S33RAeT5DEuKTO4Oew

I had the exact same impressions from the beta as this guy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »

so, haven't dug into the official forums for an answer but I'm assuming the open beta starts around 1pm 12pm EST tomorrow since that is when the countdown on the game launcher will hit 5 days left.  I did read in the FAQ that the current founder packs will be going away when it starts:

Will the Founder's Packs be available after headstart?

The current Founder’s pack offers are for a limited time. When Open Beta begins, the Founder’s Packs, as they currently exist, will no longer be available. We will have many of the items available, of course, but pricing and certain exclusive item availability will change. So act now!

so if you're debating getting one just remember time is supposedly running out.

[edit] just saw their news post clarifying the start times.  they had a funny pic with it too:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:22:04 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

From the email they've sent out:

If you are a Hero of the North, you will be able to play Neverwinter starting April 25th at 9am Pacific.

If you are a Guardian of Neverwinter, you will be able to play Neverwinter starting April 27th at 9am Pacific.

Everyone else will be able to play Neverwinter starting on April 30th at 9am Pacific.

I'll be part of the April 25th crowd even though I'm just on the Guardian of Neverwinter level. Foundry beta participation has its perks. smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »

I'll be starting a (very casual) Wanderers guild once the game gets going, so of course as usual you are all welcome to join up.  Guild website is at:

www.the-wanderers-guild.com

If there's enough interest and a need, we'll set up a dedicated sub-forum for the guild so that info isn't all packed into a single thread.

Either way, hope to see some of you in game really soon!!  I'm really looking forward to it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

I'd probably spend 90% of my time in the Foundry, and the remaining 10% playing solo, so I can't imagine how I would be useful in a guild. Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

Today is the day. Just 9 more hours until the floodgates open for the first Founders and the Foundry authors. smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »

Ack, there are multiple shards!  I just picked Mindflayer, no particular reason.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Didn't think shards matter in this game.  It's supposed to be all instanced.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »

I read where they did 3 shards for the start to reduce stress/lag etc. and later will combine them into one after things smooth out

bob
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »

OK I hope so, I hate all that server crap.  I made my first character and ran the tutorial before work but I can always remake if the shard thing is an issue:

Rittchard Exsulum @ rittch68  (cleric)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

picked Mindflayer as well.

Shivra @ carverllewis

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »

I'm at the Dragon shard.

Thorfin Battlebeard@TiLT42
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »

I can't get in until the 27th but I will say their customer support is (surprisingly) top notch.  I had a problem where an empty STO account got linked to my perfect world account.  Around 4 hours I had that removed, my regular STO account linked and my Neverwinter pack added back to my account.  And that's using their email/ticket system.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2013, 04:51:51 AM »

created a Trickster Rogue and a Big Weapons Dude so far, liking the rogue the best as the big dude (Avros Kittenslayer) seems to take forever to kill stuff with his big sword.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2013, 08:12:14 AM »

I'm up to level 12 with my dwarven Guardian Fighter so far. Yeah, I'm a slow player. I love how you can do crafting even while not playing the game by visiting the Neverwinter Gateway website. Lets me improve my character even while at work. smile

The weapon you get from the Founder's pack is incredibly overpowered btw, but that's just fine. I already played through the early content in the closed betas, so anything that lets me get past it quickly so I can get to the new content is appreciated.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »

Quote from: Bcarle on April 25, 2013, 04:24:42 PM

I read where they did 3 shards for the start to reduce stress/lag etc. and later will combine them into one after things smooth out

Correct. It's a strange thing for Cryptic to do, but I can see their reasoning. Just a question of how long it'll take before the merger happens.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 26, 2013, 03:06:44 PM

Quote from: Bcarle on April 25, 2013, 04:24:42 PM

Correct. It's a strange thing for Cryptic to do, but I can see their reasoning. Just a question of how long it'll take before the merger happens.

I suspect it's just a precaution. The beta weekends and the launch so far have all been very smooth and free of lag and other server issues, so I don't think there will be any major problems once the floodgates open for real. Still, it's better for them to be safe than sorry.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »

Has anyone heard about future class additions? Five seem a bit shallow for a MMO. Or are the D&D 4e rules prohibitive in that area?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

Agreed on the founders weapon. I actually stopped using it until I started seeing weapons that were about one tier below it damage wise. I figure I'll use it with any alts though.

I hit level 11 last night, finished up Blacklake which was were I stopped playing in the beta. Probably could have gotten farther but I have a history paper that is giving me trouble so my heart wasn't quite in the game.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 26, 2013, 03:25:51 PM

Has anyone heard about future class additions? Five seem a bit shallow for a MMO. Or are the D&D 4e rules prohibitive in that area?

They will be adding more over time.  Warlock is almost ready but they didn't want to rush it in for launch.  Archer is next.  A class in Neverwinter is not equivalent to a class in D&D 4e.  A class in Neverwinter is a combination of class and package in 4e so that means there would potentially be more classes possible in Neverwinter.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2013, 03:51:37 AM »

Tilt I finally got to play part one of your adventure.  I really liked it, except I got stuck in one portion that might have been a game glitch, I'm not sure. 

It's the part by the waterfall where you find the blob of stuff with the first note telling you he's moving to higher ground.  For whatever reason it wouldn't trigger the first few times I examined.  I ended up going all over the map looking for something else but finally came back and somehow it triggered.  Really odd, the yellow sparkly thing and the blue circle on the map would make it seem like it could be somewhere up above (higher ground).   

The out of game crafting is a great touch, this game is filled with little things like that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »

just hit 20; the spider mount is nice.  no more slow going for me!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

rittchard, that sounds like something that is completely outside of my control. Are you saying that you interacted with the rock, got the appropriate dialog tree, finished it successfully, and the quest never updated?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 25, 2013, 05:11:50 PM

Shivra @ carverllewis

Didn't you get the Founders Pack? I bought it and supposedly I can log-in for the first time today. Although I think its a couple of hours away for that.
Just curious, but you probably gave in and clicked, Hero of the North....OR?................

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 27, 2013, 02:32:44 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 25, 2013, 05:11:50 PM

Shivra @ carverllewis

Didn't you get the Founders Pack? I bought it and supposedly I can log-in for the first time today. Although I think its a couple of hours away for that.
Just curious, but you probably gave in and clicked, Hero of the North....OR?................

yeah, went Hero.  it was only 200 bucks so I figured why not?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

If any of you folks could capture some video at 720p I'd gladly include it in my video preview.  smile 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »

Mindflayer

Claurana@Azhag2
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »

Mindlayer

@kublaiex

I don't think you need to specify character name, I think account name will add all characters.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »

My dwarven guardian fighter is now up to level 24, with platesmithing at level 7 and leadership at level 3. Lots of fun. smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »

I am on Mindflayer, but have no clue what my account name is.  I log in to the game with my email address.

How do I find my account name?

Also how do I start crafting?  I am up to level 10 so far.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 28, 2013, 11:36:04 AM

Also how do I start crafting?  I am up to level 10 so far.

You'll begin crafting around level 11 or so. You get a quest about it as soon as you qualify.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 28, 2013, 11:36:04 AM

I am on Mindflayer, but have no clue what my account name is.  I log in to the game with my email address.

How do I find my account name?

After you hit login, in that launcher window it says "Welcome <your account name>".
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »

So wow there are some really bad quests on the Foundry.

I just did one, something along the line of "The Queen of Whispers"...First there were two doorways that if you turned in to them, you fell through the world and died.  I can forgive that, perhaps the tool is a bit finicky in building the map.  But otherwise it was like the author just went through and found monsters he thought were cool, and put them in a linear path of hallways to fight through.  Why exactly were there kobolds, intellect devourers, mind flayers, werewolves and bandits all in the same area, it just made no sense at all.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »

Enjoyed yours so far Tilt. Ran into one bug where the Golrug or whomever knocked me over a fence and I had to do /killme to get back. Only annoyed by your design where one side would be blocked so I'd have to walk back around, but enjoying the story.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2013, 02:36:06 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 28, 2013, 10:56:46 PM

So wow there are some really bad quests on the Foundry.

I just did one, something along the line of "The Queen of Whispers"...First there were two doorways that if you turned in to them, you fell through the world and died.  I can forgive that, perhaps the tool is a bit finicky in building the map.  But otherwise it was like the author just went through and found monsters he thought were cool, and put them in a linear path of hallways to fight through.  Why exactly were there kobolds, intellect devourers, mind flayers, werewolves and bandits all in the same area, it just made no sense at all.

Did one called "Blood and Sand".  I killed a bunch of gladiators with names like Crixus and Crassus, etc. al.  The best part?  I got to the end and couldn't open the cages to 'finish' this horribly unimaginative mission. 

The only part I'm not liking so far?  I've got 4 characters I'm trying out and ALL of them get the distinct pleasure of playing the EXACT SAME CONTENT.  Bleh.  Guess SWTOR spoiled me that way....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2013, 04:39:49 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 28, 2013, 11:08:51 PM

Enjoyed yours so far Tilt. Ran into one bug where the Golrug or whomever knocked me over a fence and I had to do /killme to get back. Only annoyed by your design where one side would be blocked so I'd have to walk back around, but enjoying the story.

Hmmm, you ended up between the walls and the orc fences? Golhrog never used any such attacks during my playtesting, but that's because I was limited to level 10 characters. I guess I should add some invisible walls to make sure the player can't get behind those. Thanks!

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 29, 2013, 02:36:06 AM

Did one called "Blood and Sand".  I killed a bunch of gladiators with names like Crixus and Crassus, etc. al.  The best part?  I got to the end and couldn't open the cages to 'finish' this horribly unimaginative mission.

To be fair, that quest is a homage to Spartacus and the author makes no secret of it.

The only part I'm not liking so far?  I've got 4 characters I'm trying out and ALL of them get the distinct pleasure of playing the EXACT SAME CONTENT.  Bleh.  Guess SWTOR spoiled me that way....

There are actually a bunch of sidequests that are unique to your class and race that start appearing around level 10 or so, but the majority of the content is indeed the same. That's something the Foundry helps with. I would recommend digging a little deeper in the list of Foundry quests. What you're seeing is that the ones that are there are being sorted by an "adjusted rating". I don't have the exact numbers, but I think this rating matches 50% of the average rating at the beginning, and then as you approach 50-100 ratings it gradually increases until it reaches the actual average. This will probably be less of a problem over time, but right now when everything is new, this means that the quests at the top are having a much higher adjusted rating than the ones at the bottom, even if the latter might be better reviewed. Look at the star ratings. My campaign has almost 4.5 in actual average rating, but the adjusted rating is currently 3.8. It started out at 2.6 or something like that. I'm climbing fast up the lists now since people are suddenly starting to play it in droves.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »

Not playing until the 30th, because....not worth the $$ to me (and I'm cheap).  I'm ambivalent though, due to overall burnout on MMOs in general and a bad taste after DDO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: