http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:08:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 23590 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »

I didn't see a topic for this in the recent pages so I thought I'd start a fresh one.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/about

I''m not sure how this one almost completely escaped me (I did have some vague notions of its existence), but I happened to get an email and decided at the last second to go for a founder's pack and try it out. They are having a total of 3 beta weekends before release, the first of which ended yesterday.

It's an interesting and fun mix of a bunch of games most of us have played, and from what I can tell, feels like a fairly successful implementation. Certainly there are influences from DDO and the D&D universe, though more of it is in lore than gameplay. Cryptic (CoH, Champions Online, Star Trek Online) is the developer, but having been bought by Perfect World (formally all F2P Asian MMOs), you can clearly see the influence. There's a lot more of the immediate rewards (e.g. a gift box every 5 levels) and really easy to jump into features intact. From an engine standpoint it reminds me the most of LOTRO, particularly the fonts they use and the overall look. But from gameplay you can clearly feel the influence of CoH/CO, though it's wrapped in a way that isn't that obvious. There are open quest areas as well as instances, very similar to the CoH setup but without the disjointed feel. Combat feels more action oriented than a traditional MMO so that's good.

Combat is a mix of skill/traditional.  WASD to move, mouse controls a cursor/pointer to aim, and your primary attacks are on left and right buttons for an action-game type of feel.  Skill loadout is similar to other recent games where you can only choose one from a selection for each slot with only limited slots available.  The game slowly unlocks more slots as you level, so for primary combat you'll only be using about 5-ish skills.

Best features I saw were a fairly simple easy to join universal queue for mini-raid missions and dungeons. And what looks like a really solid implementation of user made content for dungeons a la Neverwinter Nights and the mission creation tools for CoH/CoV. So essentially you have a mix of Neverwinter Nights, DDO, LOTRO and CoH plus misc Asian MMOs for good measure.

In any case I think it will be well worth checking out at release given it is going to be F2P. If you want an earlier look you'll have to get into the next beta(s) in March.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »

Definitely interested. Definitely annoyed as someone who bought Torchlight 2 through Perfect World and was promised beta access that the beta to date was pay to play :-P
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:07 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 11, 2013, 07:25:24 PM

...what looks like a really solid implementation of user made content for dungeons a la Neverwinter Nights and the mission creation tools for CoH/CoV.

That is what has me the most interested.
And I watched a video of the thief in action, and it actually appears he had some "weight" to his attacks, which is nice.  I'll keep an eye on it as well.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

Pretty interested in this after watching Total Biscuit's video.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 12, 2013, 07:28:26 PM

Pretty interested in this after watching Total Biscuit's video.

Yeah thanks to that video my pocket is a bit lighter, it convinced me to get the $59.99 founders package.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »

What I think will ultimately make this game a success is how well they implement their grouping interface, as well as how well they stay focused on their core competency of providing solid dungeon delving fun.  Giving the community ability to generate content is a brilliant idea as it saves them from constantly needing to come up with new stuff to please the hardcore.  From what I saw, the grouping interface had some issues but could be a real winner.  A window would show you various options (a dungeon, a raid, etc) and approx time for completion of each, and you could choose to join the queue for any of them.  Once it was ready you'd get transported into the instance and away you go, similar to how many games work PvP battlegrounds.  Using a similar system for PvE is an obvious idea, but hardly anyone has chosen to implement it.  This keeps the focus of their game fairly well set on the dungeoning experience.  There's plenty of solo content as well but there's much less focus on single player than in recent MMOs, which I think is a good thing.

I came away really impressed from the few hours I spent, aside from needing a few more classes, the game seemed pretty much ready for release.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:03 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 13, 2013, 12:48:14 AM

I came away really impressed from the few hours I spent, aside from needing a few more classes, the game seemed pretty much ready for release.

Yeah, it really needs more classes (launching with just 5?) and races (no Dragonborn in a 4e game?), but beyond that NW is very solid and a lot of fun. And with the Foundry...oh boy. The players will go nuts with it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »

This game has my interest. The Foundry alone should give me hours and hours of entertainment (as a creator). I might fork out some money for one of the Founder's Packs to get beta access. Does that let me try the Foundry as well, or do I have to get the most expensive Founder Pack or reach level 15 during one beta weekend?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 13, 2013, 01:39:33 PM

This game has my interest. The Foundry alone should give me hours and hours of entertainment (as a creator). I might fork out some money for one of the Founder's Packs to get beta access. Does that let me try the Foundry as well, or do I have to get the most expensive Founder Pack or reach level 15 during one beta weekend?

In the first beta (last weekend) Foundry access was disabled for creation. But you could still play a few adventures that the closed beta testers (those who have been testing before that weekend and are still testing now) made.

Do not pay Cryptic money strictly for beta access. Only give them money if you want the extra goodies it comes with. IMHO, NW will launch very soon after the third beta test that the pack offers (so early April).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 13, 2013, 08:43:21 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 13, 2013, 01:39:33 PM

In the first beta (last weekend) Foundry access was disabled for creation. But you could still play a few adventures that the closed beta testers (those who have been testing before that weekend and are still testing now) made.

Do not pay Cryptic money strictly for beta access. Only give them money if you want the extra goodies it comes with. IMHO, NW will launch very soon after the third beta test that the pack offers (so early April).

Eh, too late. I got the $59 pack. Tongue

Realize that I'm a longtime fan of Neverwinter Nights, having spent a criminal amount of time in the editors for those games. I was even awarded with a NWN Hall of Fame position for the module I actually released. smile Getting into the game even just a few days earlier to get a head start on content creation is worth a lot to someone like me if I want to get my creations noticed.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 13, 2013, 09:33:04 PM

Realize that I'm a longtime fan of Neverwinter Nights, having spent a criminal amount of time in the editors for those games. I was even awarded with a NWN Hall of Fame position for the module I actually released. smile Getting into the game even just a few days earlier to get a head start on content creation is worth a lot to someone like me if I want to get my creations noticed.

That's awesome TiLT.  Being a creator as well, I know how much effort it takes.  Looking forward to playing your stuff!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 14, 2013, 01:22:38 PM

That's awesome TiLT.  Being a creator as well, I know how much effort it takes.  Looking forward to playing your stuff!

Thanks! I'll make sure to advertise my creations in this thread once we get that far. smile

Actually, I'm wondering if the developers maybe have a special team of beta testers for the Foundry so that there's a reasonable amount of user-generated content already at launch. If so, my NWN history and HoF module should help me get my foot in the door. Now if only I knew who to contact about such a request...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 14, 2013, 01:27:34 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on February 14, 2013, 01:22:38 PM

Thanks! I'll make sure to advertise my creations in this thread once we get that far. smile

Actually, I'm wondering if the developers maybe have a special team of beta testers for the Foundry so that there's a reasonable amount of user-generated content already at launch. If so, my NWN history and HoF module should help me get my foot in the door. Now if only I knew who to contact about such a request...

In the first beta it looked like there were already quite a few modules ready to play.  I recall some were quite intimidating in terms of projected length.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:33 AM »

I should never sell games and raise money, as it makes me do something like getting the $59 founder's pack. Now I won't feel any need to spend money once I'm in game though at least. Already have mount, companion, and in game money. Always the nemesis of the pure F2P player.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

Played in the first beta weekend, focusing primarily on the rogue class. It is very fun. I got up to level 22 and it is a dps machine. As others have mentioned, the attacks have "weight". I played the cleric to around level 10 and while I like their healing mechanics (HoTs mostly), it felt slightly underpowered and I'm not sure I like their ranged damage implementation. I expect a cleric to wade in and smash things, rather than fling bolts of energy. I ran the fighter through the tutorial area and the first sewer instance and it seemed pretty good - more damage than the cleric and a taunt skill early. I didn't get far enough to test out their block abilities.

My biggest beef is that there is really only a thin veneer of D&D in this game from the standpoint of mechanics. DDO is much more slavish in following 3.5 rules than Neverwinter is at following 4e. The lore is there, at least. Whether it's D&D enough or not, I definitely had fun, and I'll play the beta weekends and be there at launch. Hopefully they make the mage class and the second fighter class available in the upcoming beta weekends. And I saw a post elsewhere that a data-miner found references to a ranger and a second mage class already in the files, so more classes then the first 5 should pop up relatively soon after launch.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »

Just a reminder, beta weekend starting Friday afternoon through Sunday.  If there are 5 of us we can try to get a guild up!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »

Post your character names so we can find each other?

Rittchard@rittch68 - Mage
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:02:23 AM by rittchard » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:10 AM »

Don't forget - you need your full charactername@accountname in order to find someone in a Cryptic title. They use this awesome feature where everyone's name is exactly like that, so you can have 15 Rittchards (for example) standing next to each other.

Also apparently there's another thread over in the Console / PC Gaming section.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 03:08:30 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 09, 2013, 02:48:10 AM

Also apparently there's another thread over in the Console / PC Gaming section.

yeah, that's from when this was supposed to be a single player game.  I asked for it to be moved but I guess the request was missed.

anyways, Jenn Lighttouch@carverllewis, Halfling Rogue of Stabbety Doom!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »

Got a Guardian Fighter up to level 15 today, and it was fun. Tried three different Foundry missions, all of which had problems of various kinds (grammar, lack of sound/music, poor variety, easy difficulty, etc.), which just made me all the more frustrated that I can't get into the Foundry to produce something myself. The game definitely has a different approach than regular MMOs. In particular, you don't heal automatically in Neverwinter. Instead you heal by campfires or by drinking potions. Most battles don't put you at risk of dying, just like in regular D&D, but they consume your resources, also just like D&D. It's more of a "how far can I get without having to use my precious potions and Daily powers" instead of "how many mobs can I pull without dying" situation. Not that potions are precious at low levels, but they definitely got more useful once I got to around level 13-14. Where earlier I always ended up ahead in potions after every quest, after that point I had less potions after a quest than before.

The story quests are somewhat typical for MMOs, but are over far quicker. You'll often get asked to "kill 15 orcs" or "gather 5 crates" and such things, but you don't have to walk far to get to where you need to be, and you can often accomplish your goals in just 2-3 battles, all of which pass quickly. The real meat of this game will be in the Foundry missions. This is where the real stories and interesting quest objectives will show up. Of the three Foundry quests I played, one was a straightforward but enjoyable dungeon crawl, one was a lore-focused mission with lots of interactive objects, and one was a bar fight tournament (and the best of the bunch). The variety in mission types we are going to see will be huge!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »

FYI, from Neverwinter's Facebook page:

Did you know our Beta Weekend is not under NDA? If you've got a cool picture or are live streaming your dungeon delve, send us a tweet @NeverwinterGame on Twitter:

Don't forget to use these tags: #Neverwinter #BetaWeekend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »

So, uh... I'm a Foundry Beta tester now. smile

Expect to see some of my quests during the next beta weekend, or at least at launch. I can't really say much more since I'm under NDA, but I can talk about the quests I make once I get to that point, seen from a player's perspective. I just can't talk about the Foundry itself or alpha gameplay.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 03:28:27 AM »

This p(review) is based on about 20 hours of fairly casual play over 2 beta weekends.  I played the "devoted cleric" to around level 10 and then the "control mage" to around 20.  All things considered, this has been one of the best beta experiences I've had in terms of playability, and as I think about it, Neverwinter is probably the most fun F2P MMO I've ever played.  It also stands up pretty well against the latest crop of MMOs, taking an idea or two from a lot of different games but ultimately finding its own niche using an old favorite license (D&D).

Sometimes less is more, and I think that's why the designers have been perhaps more successful than other more ambitious projects, though of course only time will tell if they can be successful with the F2P model.  The game is focused almost old fashioned-ly on adventuring in a relatively small area based on D&D lore.  A lot of gamers will probably be familiar with it (I played the games but dont' remember much) so seeing it come alive in a new way will probably be a thrill for some.  But Cryptic has done more than just make good use of a license, they've put their stamp on the combat and overall feel of the game.  Like their superhero games, they start you off with a couple limited abilities, but you immediately feel pretty kickass.  And like those games, they use a mix of instances and open areas to funnel the population around while still making the world feel more vibrant and in motion than many other MMOs.  Combat is 3rd person with skills on timers (traditional MMORPG) combined with aiming and clicking, dodging and blocking (non-traditional).  It's much faster paced than most other fantasy games, and particularly in "boss" battles really makes you feel like you're in the heat of a tough battle and have to make the right moves to win.  It's kind of twitch-based, but not so much so that someone like me who doesn't generally fare well in FPS games will have a problem.  You definitely feel much more involved in the combat, and that's a really big plus in this genre.  While it's not too far from some other games (including Cryptic's own games), it's certainly the first time (for better or worse) you'll experience D&D lore with this kind of combat.

Character "building" has been dumbed down, which generally would upset me, but here it works well enough.  It's a blend between traditional MMORPG systems and what we got in Diablo 3, mixed with the D&D ruleset.  There are quite a few races to choose from, but I believe only 5 pre-specialized classes will be available at release, i.e. it's not a generic wizard you get to mold, but a "control wizard" that's more or less meant to be a CC character from the getgo.  As you level up, you gain access to new spells/skills, but like D3, you have a limited number of active "slots" to put them in so you have to pick and choose which to have loaded up.  There aren't as many choices as in D3, but other choices you make in your character will likely influence which you bring to the table.  As you level further you will get attribute points (every 10 levels) and feat points (every level) to gain some degree of customization.  Speaking of which, they seem to have got the levelling reward system down very nicely thus far.  You get something new skill-wise every level, plus feat points.  Every 5 levels a magical box gives you some nice bonus items.  At 10 and 20 you get more attributes.  At 16 you get a "companion" (a combat pet that really helps out, not as advanced as SWTOR but a little more sophisticated than D3) and at 20 you get a mount.  They keep these breadcrumbs flowing and that keeps the game feeling very well paced.  This seems to be influenced largely by the Asian MMO (Perfect World who owns Cryptic) F2P market - I think they understand that because the game is free, there's no need to hold back (time-wise) on many of the rewards.  The more fun you are having, the more you are likely to stay longer, and thus the more likely you might purchase some other "extras" like skins or pets or whatever.  I really like this type of model as there's no pretense that they aren't trying to get your money, but also they don't feel like they need to artificially keep you playing longer to get your monthly fees.

One of my biggest pet peeves with many of the latest MMORPGs is how focused they are on the single player storyline.  To me itís completely counter-intuitive to focus on single player content in a game that youíve designed to be not just multiplayer, but ďmassivelyĒ multiplayer.  I know a lot of people disagree with me on this but what Iíve seen is this sort of design naturally detracts from players grouping together, which gradually breaks the social ties in the game until a guild is nothing more than a chat channel or an empty wasteland.  Neverwinter doesnít dump the single player content; in fact it seems to have a full storyline for you to enjoy completely single player.  But what it adds on top of that are specific instances that can be shared easily with strangers (or your own friends I presume) in the same way that recent games queue you up for PvP/Battlegrounds.  Itís such a simple thing, but itís a superb feature to mix into the general gameplay.  At any moment I can queue up for a group instance, get ported to the location, and then get ported back to where I was after weíre done.  They even give an estimate to how long it will take to complete a particular dungeon, itís fantastic.  Iím not exactly sure how it works if you are in your own party, but from what I can tell it would just auto fill in remaining spots similar to League of Legends.  This is kind of a side comment, but I often wonder why LoL continues to be so successful at keeping me coming back, and I think at least partially itís because it is so flexible in terms of allowing you to play by yourself or with any number of other players (in small group numbers).  Add in that thereís no monthly fee and you have a winning system, one with solo content, and flexible grouping with friends and/or strangers.  All simple ideas, but extremely powerful when implemented correctly. 

The key feature that may be the ďmake or breakĒ for the game is the Foundry Ė the system that allows players to make their own adventures/campaigns.  While I havenít seen the tools yet, I did try out 3 different player made scenarios of varying length and quality.  From what I can tell, itís a very robust system that will offer storytellers a great way to shine, and offer players a never ending amount of fresh content to explore.  On paper at least this is absolutely an awesome feature.  Foundry quests are woven directly into the main world locations, as well as accessible from separate menus.  Some NPCs will even direct you to foundry content.  As the content can be outside the main city, it seems like there are very few limitations to what you can creatively achieve if you're willing to put in the time.  Either way they feel like they are direct parts of the game world (like side quests essentially) and can be every bit as immersive as the real gameís quests.  While none of the 3 I played were all that exciting, given that the game is still in beta I was thoroughly impressed.  One in particular was the first part of many intended parts, and did a nice job creating atmosphere and setting the stage.  They used drow assassins to surprise you in combat, and both indoor and outdoor locations.  It appears content is scaled to your level, as are rewards.  I'm really curious to see how much control you have over the modules; presumably you won't be able to make cheesy freebie modules to boost your characters the way you could in the original Neverwinter games.

One last minor thing, someone mentioned to me the game was "unplayable" because the graphics were too bad.  I'm not really sure what they were expecting but aside from the character models being kind of mediocre, I found the graphics were fine, particularly in conjunction with good spell effects.  Add to that the capability to allow for user-made content and I think all around it's a very solid, very impressive engine.  Couple of screenshots follow.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »

Thanks for the writeup ritt - it was a good read. 
Gratz on the Foundry beta access tilt!

LD

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »

Good write up.  I am very intrigued.  I don't have the gaming to really justify MMORPGs anymore but this seems like it could be geared to my more casual playtime nowadays. 

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »

My first quest is almost complete, and should be playable in the upcoming beta weekend. It's quite different from most other content in the game, including other Foundry content, so I'm excited to see what people think about it. It features a lot of dialogue and open-ended interactions. At one point you don't even get the sparkly trail to your next objective, and must instead figure out what to do and how to do it (with multiple ways to progress). It's not much, but here are the two first screenshots from the quest:

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

So how was the Foundry system to use in comparison to similar tools in past games Tilt?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on March 19, 2013, 11:00:32 AM

So how was the Foundry system to use in comparison to similar tools in past games Tilt?

I wish I could talk about it, but I can't. I'm under NDA in a very, very small group of testers. The only thing I can talk about is the quests I've made, and I can show as many screenshots of them as I want as long as I don't show the Foundry UI.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on March 19, 2013, 11:00:32 AM

From videos released by the devs, it looks really simple to use. And really powerful as well, too. Six months old now, but I doubt they've changed too much:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

BTW, Tilt, will you be allowed to give the name of your mission for this weekend's 'final' (maybe) beta test?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 19, 2013, 01:30:21 PM

BTW, Tilt, will you be allowed to give the name of your mission for this weekend's 'final' (maybe) beta test?

The campaign is called "From the Shadows", and the quest is called "A Hidden Blade". Cheesy yes, but this is not just D&D, but Forgotten Realms as well. Clichť and cheese is expected at all times to fit in. slywink Actually, my quests will be somewhat down to earth compared to most D&D quests. This also means my screenshots tend to be a little more boring than others since I don't focus on dramatic architecture. I mean, most of my quest takes place inside a simple inn and the forest right outside.

I can't guarantee that it'll actually be in the beta, but I'm trying my hardest. I've only got a few things to tweak tonight, and if external testing goes well, it'll get published in time.

Here's the quest synopsis:

Your employer has received a letter from his trusted agent, warning him of danger and telling him to come south of the city, to the Lucky Arrow inn, and meet in person. Suspecting a trap, you are sent in your employer's stead. It soon becomes clear that someone, or something, is hunting the agent, but who... and why?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:43:02 PM by TiLT » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »

Tilt, I think you need to add CeeKay into your quest!!  Really hope it makes to beta, keep us posted!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »

Just published the quest to alpha, so unless there are major problems, it should be there for the beta.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

Looking forward to trying it out, TiLT.

LD

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:44 AM »

What're the recommended levels? Or do you come in at a certain level regardless of your characters?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 06:16:24 AM »

Foundry quests automatically scale to your level, so you don't have to worry about that.

The first four alpha reviews for my quest are in, and they're all 5 stars. Looking good! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 19, 2013, 09:49:18 PM

Looking forward to trying it out, TiLT.

ditto.  patching up for this weekend right now.  really really really resisting the urge to go Hero of the North too....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:46:28 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »

Hmmm.... I'm not really liking the game so far.  I also am hesitant to be a negative voice, as I have not played very long.  I finished the tutorial, tooled around the city for a couple quests, tried out the first part of TiLT's adventure - and my first impressions of the game on the whole are poor. 

The controls seem sluggish, the graphics look washed out (at top settings), the combat is average to poor when I compare it to GW2 or TERA, and the overall presentation is just blah.  That being said, I really can't stand coming into threads and being the only negative nancy - so I think I'll leave it at that.  It's almost like I'm missing something.  I will try it again later this weekend; maybe my entire perspective will change.

icon_neutral

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

TiLT - I loved the quest. Turned out to be a lot of fun and it has a lot of little things to help draw you into the story and such. Well done!

Now go make the sequel. biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »

Thanks! smile

I'm getting a bit frustrated at the ratings right now. The simpler quests are continually getting top ratings and almost no 1-star ratings, while I'm getting one trash review after another between the good ones. In case any of you think the trash reviews are deserved, let me copy the text from all the 1-stars I've received so far, with my comments after:

"wwww" - Really now? I guess I need to improve that part then.
"Thief skills required for completion" - Read: Player can't solve a "puzzle" that requires talking to two people.
"boring and not intuitive - very poor design" - What can I say? The guy probably got a panic attack as soon as his quest trail disappeared (on purpose, I might add). Also probably thinks reading is something his grandparents might have liked.
"sux, sry dude" - At least he's polite about it.

The rating system needs work so that stuff like that can be filtered out. I even warn these people in the quest description that I'll let them off the leash and have them think for themselves. *sigh!* Even with a whole bunch of 4 and 5-star reviews, my quest currently has an average of 3 (and the campaign 2.5) thanks to these jokers.

Btw, I'm getting some rewards from the Foundry system. I received a nifty cloak and title ("Foundry Apprentice") after about 10 people had rated my quest, which was nice. Looking forward to seeing what else I'll get over time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:29:01 PM by TiLT » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »

The problem with the Foundry is that you have idiots playing and reviewing the thing.

Unless it's something extremely simple (see: Bar Fight), and doesn't require any intelligence to play (again, see Bar Fight) as you never leave the start room, you're going to have such idiots reviewing your work and mucking up your score. Especially right now as it's in beta and all.

People just want to get all uber and amazing and max level and then complain on the boards about how bad the game is and how they 'beat' it in 10 hours or whatever just because they ran Bar Fight over and over and over again.

tl:dr - people are stupid.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: