http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:11:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MASSIVE CoH nerfs  (Read 1880 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »

I have'nt read them yet but they say there are over 300 angry replies to them..

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3826972&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#3826972

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:31:23 PM »

From my understanding, the nerf is this:

Most attackers use the following 'powerups' for their attacking powers (because it's the best option):
1 Accuracy enhancement
5 Damage enhancements

Now, with the SO powers, you'll start to hit diminishing returns once you put the 3rd Damage Enhancement in your powers.

This is nothing to say about the absolutely 'must have or you're totally gimped' Stamina power, which everybody and their mother put 6 enhancements of the same type in. Now you hit diminishing returns at 3.

Nice way to bork up the powersets, devs.

Or roughly translated - way to pull a Star Wars Galaxies.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 06:53:22 PM »

Aye, it's a startlingly idiotic move.  I'm happy I don't play CoH anymore, else I'd be at NCSoft's gates.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »

Basically, more than 3 SOs of the same type will be nearly worthless.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:43:45 AM »

So they introduce more variety into how you spec the character, and that's a 'nerf'?
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:37:04 AM »

Basically, what they have been doing since the launch of the game is making it more and more impossible to play unless you are part of a team.  This pretty much puts the last nail in being able to solo, as far as I can tell.

Sure, sure.  I hear ya, why play an MMO to play solo?

I don't know why I do.  I just like playing the game.  I don't necessarily want to play with random people I don't know.  My friends don't have as much free time as I do, so I wind up playing these games by myself more often than not.  But I guess that will just have to stop.

I can't really afford to pay 15 bucks a month to play with strangers now anyway, so I guess it is a good thing that they made me not want to.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 02:35:19 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
So they introduce more variety into how you spec the character, and that's a 'nerf'?
That's the propaganda line, yes.  Unfortunately the change would be so horribly devastating to how combat has run for awhile now, it'd really cripple how effective players can be against mobs.  i.e., who gives a fuck about slotting +% to Attack Range when 99% of CoH fights are close-combat brawls?

A way to think of this in a more graspable way, (since CoH is fairly unique in the sub-mechanics it uses), is if Blizzard decided, out of the blue, that Players who invest into one Talent tree would not see returns that grew more and more powerful the more you put into it, but would actually see diminishing returns past a certain point.  In theory, this "introduces more variety" in the sense that you can't just crank your class's best tree and forget about it, but it'd also be a devastating nerf, and actually make characters more vanilla in the long run, since everyone ends up a jack-of-all-trades (with respect to other members of their class).

The way to solve the diversity problem would be to shake up class roles.  Look at how WoW did this -- the main tank in the game, the Warrior, can also be a hell of a DPS machine, if tuned right.  The main healer in the game, the Priest, can also dish out horrific damage, though it's not nearly as efficient or instantaneous as a Mage.  CoH never was built for this diversity -- Tanks were Tanks and nothing else, Defenders were Healers and nothing else, (god helped you if you tried to be anything else as a Defender), Blasters were Burst DPS and nothing else, Scrappers were sustained melee DPS and nothing else, etc.

Thus, why the fuck would you want to 'diversify' something that by its very nature can't be diverse?  What use does a Tank have adding +20% more damage to his pitiful attack?  What use does a Healer have adding +10% range to his heals -- no moron would ever be that far from a Tank in case he actually pulled aggro.

Ultimately, it amounts to a horrible nerf, as you're pigeonholed by your class by default.  Now you can't enhance your class's (very limited) strengths, so you can't even be good at the only thing you're supposed to be doing.

It's a horribly backwards, meaningless choice that won't promote anything close to 'diversity.'  And the doublethink bullshit they feel like spouting about more "variety" is just that -- doublethink bullshit.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:35:01 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Thus, why the fuck would you want to 'diversify' something that by its very nature can't be diverse?  What use does a Tank have adding +20% more damage to his pitiful attack?  What use does a Healer have adding +10% range to his heals -- no moron would ever be that far from a Tank in case he actually pulled aggro.

Ultimately, it amounts to a horrible nerf, as you're pigeonholed by your class by default.  Now you can't enhance your class's (very limited) strengths, so you can't even be good at the only thing you're supposed to be doing.

It's a horribly backwards, meaningless choice that won't promote anything close to 'diversity.'  And the doublethink bullshit they feel like spouting about more "variety" is just that -- doublethink bullshit.

All I have to say is this - Quoted For Truth.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:03:11 PM »

Ya, part of the underlying problem is that while there are a number of different enhancements you can use, most of them aren't very useful. I guess that's what LE is saying. smile Seems like this is rooted in the initial design of the game and enhancement system.

I'm sure that the timing of this is to prepare for PvP also, as it's important to make this change before the new CoV people join up (and therefore they have no concept that they've been 'nerfed').

I'm on the sidelines here but watching with interest.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 01:08:51 AM »

I dont see the huge problem.  If you slot 3 damage and 2 accuracy, you would likely also see your total damage go up (since you will miss less).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I dont see the huge problem.  If you slot 3 damage and 2 accuracy, you would likely also see your total damage go up (since you will miss less).

But most attack powers were slotted 1 accuracy and 5 damage. The difference between 1 SO accuracy and 2 weren't noticable at all, unless you commonly slaughtered purple conned enemies in a giant group.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: