http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO - State of the game  (Read 51612 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »

I finally get to wield... Simbi!  icon_cool


I latched onto a pretty good 3-person PUG (my 50 guardian, a 53 LM and a 52 Minstrel), we tried our best on the Drakes thing but the darned Ravenating whatever drakes that patrol all over the place just got the better of us. We made so much progress, and it was frustrating to have two of the Rave drakes just take a bizarre patrol pattern right on top of us.



"Smile, you son of a..." This time I was at least smart enough to visit a bard and reslot the guardian trait that ups all your resistances quite a bit. Cause this happened a lot...

Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »

Quote from: Jag on August 10, 2009, 09:14:14 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 10, 2009, 04:29:32 PM

Quote from: Jag on August 10, 2009, 03:21:47 PM

ANYWAY. I have Tal Bruinen too, which I avoided because it's a pain. I'll check out Angmar (I have some quests pointing me there, so I should take the hint), Forochel and Eregion (not sure where that is?)

You really want to do at least one particular quest in Tal Bruinen. You'll know which one it is once you do it. smile

Which one? The 3 trolls?

No, the one that features a character from the books. It involves the guy living in the small hut just south of the ruins with the horse master. As I said, you'll know it when you've done it.
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »

There's only one word to describe that Tal Bruinen quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Spoiler for Hiden:
precious   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I guess my gold armor looks fine in the right lighting, time of day.

Question: Can you buy the legendary tome books? I don't know who the Guardian should get those from. Those are the books to earn some of the legendary traits from. My increasingly outdated strategy guide says they're from an "Elven Guardian" or something but gives no clue on where.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:33:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 11, 2009, 12:31:26 PM

There's only one word to describe that Tal Bruinen quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Spoiler for Hiden:
precious   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I guess my gold armor looks fine in the right lighting, time of day.

Question: Can you buy the legendary tome books? I don't know who the Guardian should get those from. Those are the books to earn some of the legendary traits from. My increasingly outdated strategy guide says they're from an "Elven Guardian" or something but gives no clue on where.

Yes you can buy them. They typically drop from humanoid creatures lvl 40 and above, but your best bet is to buy them, because once you have them you still have to collect 8 missing pages from each of them.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 11, 2009, 12:31:26 PM

There's only one word to describe that Tal Bruinen quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Spoiler for Hiden:
precious   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Yes, that's the quest I'm thinking of. As I said, once you've played it, you'll know what it is. smile
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 11, 2009, 01:33:49 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 11, 2009, 12:31:26 PM

There's only one word to describe that Tal Bruinen quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Spoiler for Hiden:
precious   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Yes, that's the quest I'm thinking of. As I said, once you've played it, you'll know what it is. smile


I'll have to check it out when I get back into town. I was racing a Kinship Rk/Minstrel duo to 40 and won last night (I get a free house biggrin) so now I can slow down a bit.
Logged
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 201


View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:58 AM »

If you have characters at or near 60 and would like some nice ixp runes, check out the new bounty quests from a dwarf in Esteldin. There are 5 quests offered, 3 solo (sig mob) and 2 are small group (EM mob). The quest rewards are general ixp plus runestones with 60,000 or more ixp. Yes 60,000 ixp for a level 60 sig mob. And, they are repeatable, daily (although I"m not sure if there is a 3-time maximum like the bounty quests in Barrow Downs).

The target mobs are all over the map, so if you're a hunter it helps. One in the Shire, one in Forochel, one in Trollshaws, one in Fields of Fornost, and one in Misty Mountains. A very surprised level 11 RK in Rushock Bog watched me kill a level 60 sig wolf tonight.  icon_lol




Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on August 12, 2009, 06:06:58 AM

If you have characters at or near 60 and would like some nice ixp runes, check out the new bounty quests from a dwarf in Esteldin. There are 5 quests offered, 3 solo (sig mob) and 2 are small group (EM mob). The quest rewards are general ixp plus runestones with 60,000 or more ixp. Yes 60,000 ixp for a level 60 sig mob. And, they are repeatable, daily (although I"m not sure if there is a 3-time maximum like the bounty quests in Barrow Downs).

The target mobs are all over the map, so if you're a hunter it helps. One in the Shire, one in Forochel, one in Trollshaws, one in Fields of Fornost, and one in Misty Mountains. A very surprised level 11 RK in Rushock Bog watched me kill a level 60 sig wolf tonight.  icon_lol






Nice I didnt know about those, where is the Dwarf in Esteldin?
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »

There's a thread at official forums about the new bounty quests if anyone needs more info:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3939559#post3939559

I haven't seen loc coordinates for the Esteldin Dwarf, but I don't seem to recall there being too many dwarves there. He has a quest ring over his head, they say, and you only see it if you're a level 60 character, fwiw.

The bounty stuff was introduced in yesterday's update, though I don't recall seeing it detailed in the splash-login screen (I read about here and at official forums).

I'm really not into the whole Raid scene (unless kinship really needs my contribution on a given day), and I tend to just lose interest in my character once it hits the level cap (I'm maybe too focused on the Sense of Progression in MMOs). My Aussie-heavy kin pretty much unraveled once everybody got a couple characters to the level cap and didn't feel like working on new characters. But I could see digging my 60 hunter out of mothballs to check out the bounty stuff a bit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:13:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 12, 2009, 01:09:26 PM

There's a thread at official forums about the new bounty quests if anyone needs more info:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3939559#post3939559

I haven't seen loc coordinates for the Esteldin Dwarf, but I don't seem to recall there being too many dwarves there. He has a quest ring over his head, they say, and you only see it if you're a level 60 character, fwiw.

The bounty stuff was introduced in yesterday's update, though I don't recall seeing it detailed in the splash-login screen (I read about here and at official forums).

I'm really not into the whole Raid scene (unless kinship really needs my contribution on a given day), and I tend to just lose interest in my character once it hits the level cap (I'm maybe too focused on the Sense of Progression in MMOs). My Aussie-heavy kin pretty much unraveled once everybody got a couple characters to the level cap and didn't feel like working on new characters. But I could see digging my 60 hunter out of mothballs to check out the bounty stuff a bit.

Blackjack, do yourself a favor and try to at least run some instances with the kin, collecting the radience gear, lvling lengendary weapons, collecting elite jewelry and unlocking all the traits is arguably more fun than the grind to 60. Also the turtle raid takes about 30 mins if we beat it the first time out, so it's not a ton of time. I think of after 60 not so much as a leveling fest, instead it becomes a quest to perfect your character and really become a good player at your class. I think I'm a fairly good Warden, but I know there are Wardens out there who are much better than me, and my toon has been 60 for several months now. I get jealous when I see an unbuffed Ward with over 5000 Hit points and I struggle to put together 4200.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:24:54 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 201


View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 12, 2009, 12:59:41 PM

Quote from: Barrakketh on August 12, 2009, 06:06:58 AM

If you have characters at or near 60 and would like some nice ixp runes, check out the new bounty quests from a dwarf in Esteldin. There are 5 quests offered, 3 solo (sig mob) and 2 are small group (EM mob). The quest rewards are general ixp plus runestones with 60,000 or more ixp. Yes 60,000 ixp for a level 60 sig mob. And, they are repeatable, daily (although I"m not sure if there is a 3-time maximum like the bounty quests in Barrow Downs).

The target mobs are all over the map, so if you're a hunter it helps. One in the Shire, one in Forochel, one in Trollshaws, one in Fields of Fornost, and one in Misty Mountains. A very surprised level 11 RK in Rushock Bog watched me kill a level 60 sig wolf tonight.  icon_lol






Nice I didnt know about those, where is the Dwarf in Esteldin?

The dwarf is right near the stable master, the other side of the pillars, facing east.

His ring may only light up for level 60's, but a level 59 guildie was able to get the quests and complete them.
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »

I think to some extent the 3-person quests here and there are more to my liking even if some of the Eregion ones feel borderline unfair. My Flight of Drakes team the other day ended disastrously but I liked the way our PUG adapted to a messy start and worked together. I learned a lot from the experience that'll help next time I try it, though I don't feel like I've memorized it. I'll just know when to chase, and when to wait.  icon_smile

I've done the Turtle stuff with my old Aussie-focused kin once or twice. I know the loot/rewards is uber, but I just find it more fun to battle stuff like Drakes or Giants, than giant Turtle Wax mascots.  icon_razz
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 13, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

If anyone on Elendilmir (Elindilmir?) is interested in mindlessly bludgeoning hillmen and wargs in a couple spots in Angmar, let me know (you'd probably want to be in the high 40s to 50 or so). I'm trying to finish up a couple of important deeds (the Hillmen one that gives the Strength of Morale trait [the 2200hp health-restorer]; the Warg one that gives a decent Fellowship HP increase).

I have to work through about 97 hillmen and maybe 70 wargs at this point, and it's tedious as heck solo.  icon_razz I probably won't be on tonight until about 9 p.m. EST-ish. My guardian's at 51 so I'm trying to work the hillmen about Himbar (other locations, I run into too many grey-cons that don't count towards deed completion). There's a hilly area far east of Gabilshur-whatever (dwarve camp, SE Angmar) that's crawling with the wargies I need, but the hillmen-deed is something I'm more eager to get.

Normally I work through the Hillmen deed in those hills east of Esteldin (which are crawling with Hillmen) but I got carried away with Forochel and Eregion, and by the time I realized it, I'd outleveled that paradise hunting area (all greys now).
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 13, 2009, 05:40:53 PM

If anyone on Elendilmir (Elindilmir?) is interested in mindlessly bludgeoning hillmen and wargs in a couple spots in Angmar, let me know (you'd probably want to be in the high 40s to 50 or so). I'm trying to finish up a couple of important deeds (the Hillmen one that gives the Strength of Morale trait [the 2200hp health-restorer]; the Warg one that gives a decent Fellowship HP increase).

I have to work through about 97 hillmen and maybe 70 wargs at this point, and it's tedious as heck solo.  icon_razz I probably won't be on tonight until about 9 p.m. EST-ish. My guardian's at 51 so I'm trying to work the hillmen about Himbar (other locations, I run into too many grey-cons that don't count towards deed completion). There's a hilly area far east of Gabilshur-whatever (dwarve camp, SE Angmar) that's crawling with the wargies I need, but the hillmen-deed is something I'm more eager to get.

Normally I work through the Hillmen deed in those hills east of Esteldin (which are crawling with Hillmen) but I got carried away with Forochel and Eregion, and by the time I realized it, I'd outleveled that paradise hunting area (all greys now).

I was able to do the Hillmen quest in the Eastern part of the North Downs. It was a brease there because they are all 30's or so. Anyway I should be on tonight so I might be able to help you for a bit.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 201


View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »

Looks like Turbine is working hard at cushioning the whole Radiance gear gating that was brought in with Moria.

See dev Amlug's blog post from today:

http://my.lotro.com/amlug/

My main is 60 but sports zero Radiance gear so far. I can see getting some when this goes live.

Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2009, 04:44:06 AM »

I sure hope Turbine has learned from the Radiance gear fiasco for their next expansion. Grinding instances for the gear needed to play the instances you really want to play just isn't fun.
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »

Another welcome back week:

Quote
Welcome Back Week!
 Return to LOTRO from August 18th through August 24th and play for free, with a +25% XP bonus** for everyone! Plus - with LOTRO's Endless Summer Savings, you can upgrade your account today and pay only $9.99 per month* for hundreds of hours of sizzling adventure. So chill out, slay evil and save money!

http://www.lotro.com/news/377-welcomeback
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 18, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

I finally finished the Hillmen the other day in Himbar in Angmar. I tried to explain to someone in-game that you DON'T get credit for the deed if the targets con "grey" to you (I tried bashing some grey hillmen in Angmar, and they don't change the deed counter). I just never got around to working on it until 50 or so (on my other two Mains I was wise enough to beat up on the Lone Lands Hillmen much earlier).

I'd like to get pages 16, 17 for "The Best Defence" (it's a nice shield bashing legendary trait), but they just won't drop from the Gabilshur (sp?) dwarves in MM, though 2 other pages did. Only Page 39 ever seems available in the auction house. I've checked numerous databases about it, but I'm really stumped.

My Guardian's to 53 now. If I ever reach 60 I'll try to be better about participating in the end-game stuff. I haven't played my Hunter in many months now so I don't know how useful I'd be with Georic. His hotkey setup is like a Sudoko puzzle.  confused

I still have a couple of free trials for this btw, if anyone ever needs one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:33:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Cragmyre
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 682



View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »

Quote
I finally finished the Hillmen the other day in Himbar in Angmar. I tried to explain to someone in-game that you DON'T get credit for the deed if the targets con "grey" to you (I tried bashing some grey hillmen in Angmar, and they don't change the deed counter). I just never got around to working on it until 50 or so (on my other two Mains I was wise enough to beat up on the Lone Lands Hillmen much earlier).

You get credit for deeds if you kill greys.  I've done quite a few deeds that way.
Logged

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on August 18, 2009, 07:36:32 PM

Quote
I finally finished the Hillmen the other day in Himbar in Angmar. I tried to explain to someone in-game that you DON'T get credit for the deed if the targets con "grey" to you (I tried bashing some grey hillmen in Angmar, and they don't change the deed counter). I just never got around to working on it until 50 or so (on my other two Mains I was wise enough to beat up on the Lone Lands Hillmen much earlier).

You get credit for deeds if you kill greys.  I've done quite a few deeds that way.

I think it might depend upon the deed.
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »

As long as we're all agreed.  icon_razz I dunno; all I know is I saw an in-game loading screen tip that said "Killing grey mobs will not advance a "kill-count deed", and when I whacked grey hillmen in Angmar last week it didn't appear to advance the deed (the counter didn't change). It could all be an optical halluciation, they may well have changed it but forgotten to fix the loading screen tip, but the deed is DONE and I no longer care at this point.  icon_biggrin It was probably better for me to go ahead and have some fun in Himbar.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:03:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 18, 2009, 07:29:53 PM

I finally finished the Hillmen the other day in Himbar in Angmar. I tried to explain to someone in-game that you DON'T get credit for the deed if the targets con "grey" to you (I tried bashing some grey hillmen in Angmar, and they don't change the deed counter). I just never got around to working on it until 50 or so (on my other two Mains I was wise enough to beat up on the Lone Lands Hillmen much earlier).

I'd like to get pages 16, 17 for "The Best Defence" (it's a nice shield bashing legendary trait), but they just won't drop from the Gabilshur (sp?) dwarves in MM, though 2 other pages did. Only Page 39 ever seems available in the auction house. I've checked numerous databases about it, but I'm really stumped.

My Guardian's to 53 now. If I ever reach 60 I'll try to be better about participating in the end-game stuff. I haven't played my Hunter in many months now so I don't know how useful I'd be with Georic. His hotkey setup is like a Sudoko puzzle.  confused

I still have a couple of free trials for this btw, if anyone ever needs one.


I farmed all of my pages inside of Giblin Town. I know this works for Wards, not sure about guards.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »

I'll try that at some point. Most of the databases claim the dwarves in Gabilshur have four key pages, but I've seen the stray comments post that claimed to get them off goblin drops elsewhere in MM (probably including Goblin Town).
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 18, 2009, 08:58:50 PM

As long as we're all agreed.  icon_razz I dunno; all I know is I saw an in-game loading screen tip that said "Killing grey mobs will not advance a "kill-count deed", and when I whacked grey hillmen in Angmar last week it didn't appear to advance the deed (the counter didn't change). It could all be an optical halluciation, they may well have changed it but forgotten to fix the loading screen tip, but the deed is DONE and I no longer care at this point.  icon_biggrin It was probably better for me to go ahead and have some fun in Himbar.

The way I think it works is that kill deeds in general don't count grey mobs. However, if you're asked to kill mobs in a specific region (such as "kill 50 neekerbreekers in Bree-lands"), you'll get credit for killing greys.
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

Hey I got to participate in an anonymous LOTRO Features Survey for subscribers. I think the part where you had to divvy up 100 points among your favorite features to rank them was a little too mathematical for my tiny brain.  drool

And no, I mentioned nothing in my answers about killing greys for traits.  icon_smile
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

I saw a loading screen hint earlier while playing that said that offensive skills that count towards a deed or trait do not count when used on grey mobs. 

Also, the bonus 25% exp started yesterday and also stacks with rest xp.  I've managed to get my hunter to 32 but I don't think I'm going to have much time to play through this weekend.  Too bad as I always seem to miss these bonus weekends.
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

Aw, they would do that while I'm busy in Champions. Maybe that's by design. icon_smile

I'm happy to report though that the "typical MMO controls" option in CO felt very similar to LOTRO's, so I don't forsee any awkwardness bouncing between the two games if I end up doing that. I had major issues trying to switch between COH and WoW back around WoW's launch -- mainly, WoW uses mouse look a little bit differently (It's been years, I can't remember, and maybe now they have more control options) and I couldn't get comfortable switching. So I dumped WoW after my free month and stuck with COH.
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 983



View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 18, 2009, 09:31:26 PM

The way I think it works is that kill deeds in general don't count grey mobs. However, if you're asked to kill mobs in a specific region (such as "kill 50 neekerbreekers in Bree-lands"), you'll get credit for killing greys.
My understanding is weapon/skill deeds don't advance on grey mobs, but kill deeds do.  In other words, if you've got a deed that says kill 120 trolls in the trollshaws, you can kill them for credit even if you're level 60.  (I know this works, because I did it as 60).  On the other hand, if you've got a deed that says, use the Darkness before Dawn skill 100 times, these don't count unless the mob you're using it on is at least green.
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: August 20, 2009, 04:48:42 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on August 19, 2009, 11:15:22 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 18, 2009, 09:31:26 PM

The way I think it works is that kill deeds in general don't count grey mobs. However, if you're asked to kill mobs in a specific region (such as "kill 50 neekerbreekers in Bree-lands"), you'll get credit for killing greys.
My understanding is weapon/skill deeds don't advance on grey mobs, but kill deeds do.  In other words, if you've got a deed that says kill 120 trolls in the trollshaws, you can kill them for credit even if you're level 60.  (I know this works, because I did it as 60).  On the other hand, if you've got a deed that says, use the Darkness before Dawn skill 100 times, these don't count unless the mob you're using it on is at least green.

Well, it would seem that you're wrong if Blackjack's experiences are correct. His kill deed that doesn't specify a region to kill creatures in doesn't advance on grey mobs.
Logged
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 20, 2009, 02:31:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 19, 2009, 03:08:25 PM

Hey I got to participate in an anonymous LOTRO Features Survey for subscribers. I think the part where you had to divvy up 100 points among your favorite features to rank them was a little too mathematical for my tiny brain.  drool

I had the same survey to participate in. smile I gave a few suggestions during the survey, including adding functionality to player housing, perhaps build some quests into utilizing your housing.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10886



View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 20, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

I think I complimented their volume and variety of zones and just asked that they (I put it more politely) stop filling up zones with "Go kill 20 things and bring me some guts" quests. The epic story and occasional stray solo instance stuff I love, and anything that gets me wrapped up more in story and lore instead of mechanics, grinding and such, I enjoy. I know they have deadlines, and budget considerations, and what not -- it's far easier for me to snap my fingers and say "give us more interesting quests!" than it probably is for them to implement it in a reasonable amount of time. But hey, it's my "focus" thoughts.  icon_smile

If I could trust that Champions would add as many new zones and content as LOTRO has in 2 years (Evindem, Forochel, that area in the Trollshaws I never remember the name of, Eregion, Moria etc. -- and there's still fans clamoring for more "outdoor" content because they got tired of Moria's gloominess), I would have more confidence in CO. I do remember after LOTRO's 2007 launch there were a fair number who dropped out, citing there weren't enough zones to quest in, not quite enough to do, too much repetition of content when doing one alt or another (once you got past your race's zone). I don't think people can argue it's the case now (at least not to the extent it was in summer 2007), though I see a fair number just wanting the next major update (or expansion) to go back outdoors in focus.
Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »

I complimented the sheer amount of content they've added, and noted that continuing to give me more Middle-Earth to explore on a regular basis just like they've done so far is precisely the way to keep me sticking around. nod

I was a detractor at launch. I'm a complete convert now.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 201


View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »

I asked for more landmass as well, even if it is quest-light. The more to explore the better.

I'm sure they are too busy doing the zones just for the upcoming books (I'm very much looking forward to what we will see of southern Mirkwood), but I'd also like to see places that are eluded to on the map, like Far Downs, Grey Havens/Lindon, South Downs to Tharbad, etc.

It always seems the Turbine team is struggling to keep up to their original content schedule. I wonder how many are working on "live" updates vs those that are doing the next full expansion, vs those that have been hijacked to work on their next project, rumored to be a console MMO.
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »

I'm currently at level 43 on my first run through. My 40 'free days' expire in about a week. I don't think I will be subscribing though even though I have been playing every single day. My biggest gripe is the number of group quests. I really want to do the Epic Quests and many others that require groups, but I just don't have the time or patience in a 1-2 hour gaming session to hang around looking for groups. The fact that my class has no fast travel options (summons, ports) makes it take even longer.

As much as I don't want to compare WoW to LOTRO, WoW was smart when they changed the leveling group quests to solo quests in recognition of the fact that those early areas are just not very populated anymore.
Logged
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:55 PM »

One of the things I noted as a drawback is that, while I love the epic quests for the storyline, I dislike that they require many fellowship-required steps in the questlines. I'm sure this wasn't so bad early in the game's lifespan, but I've been stuck on book 2 of volume one for around ten levels now because anytime I try, I just can't find a fellowship to run the quests with. While I love that there are so many fellowship quests in the game, I don't like having the main storyline require them when it's no longer "current" content.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6620


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 21, 2009, 03:02:04 PM

As much as I don't want to compare WoW to LOTRO, WoW was smart when they changed the leveling group quests to solo quests in recognition of the fact that those early areas are just not very populated anymore.

LOTRO is doing that too. It's already happened with Book 1, and I believe the next patch will do the same thing to Books 2 and 3.
Logged
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 25, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »

I got a lot done...but I also think I'm done. 

My firsts over the past week: my hunter to 37 (highest so far), first horse, first trip to Rivendell, tailoring to artisan level (along with both gathering skills)

The bad...the whole time I was playing I was thinking this is how leveling and mob xp should be...except I was using rest xp and had the 25% bonus.  I spent almost the entire day playing Saturday and went up two levels and that was only using rest xp (I was burning destiny points to keep the rest xp going).  And as a hunter I have almost zero down time and died probably once every two hours.  As much as I really wanted to see Moria and get to the 50-60 zones I'm not going to make it.  It's still a great game and I love playing it but I don't have time to be an "explorer" anymore.  I want to level.  I want to see new zones.  I want to actually get a new skill that I will actually use more than once every 10 levels (hunters not the best choice here since they have almost all of their skills early).  I don't want to play for hours, turn in 15 quests at once and see I went up a whole third of a level.

Oh well, my loss in the end smile
Logged
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 59


View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

Still playing on LLandroval.  I have a warder in the 20's now that I'm enjoying alot.  I just wish I could find an active group of people to fellowship with.  I hit a few PUG's but they only stay around long enough to finish one specific quest then everyone scatters again!   Even WoW had more active grouping...
Logged
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 493

Elitist Ash-hole


View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 18, 2009, 09:05:14 PM

I'll try that at some point. Most of the databases claim the dwarves in Gabilshur have four key pages, but I've seen the stray comments post that claimed to get them off goblin drops elsewhere in MM (probably including Goblin Town).

It's been changed at least once (possibly twice) over the life of the game, which is why the databases are...confused. The way it currently works is that each class has three books.

The pages for one of the books will drop anywhere, anytime and for anyone and can then be sold/purchased on the AH if you like. Because anyone can get them, the drop rates are horrifically low and stashing them on alts/getting them from kinmates/buying them on the AH is usually the best way to get them.

For the other two books, you will only see page drops once you have the particular book and they are all BoA, so no auctioning. Of the eight pages for each of these two books, four are dropped by any humanoid mobs of a high enough level (39+, IIRC) in the Misty Mountains and the other four by similar humanoid mobs in Angmar. Note that the pages get harder to get as you accumulate them: there is a constant (small) percentage chance for any page to drop with each kill, even a page you already have, which means that the more pages you have, the lower the chance of getting a drop of one that you still need (note that pages you already have don't show up in the loot).

FWIW, I did those two books on an over-leveled Hunter (~55ish, IIRC) in about three hours of solid slaughtering, about half of which was trying to get the last couple pages. The Bitter Stair, the evil dwarf keep and Goblin-Town are high-concentration-humanoid areas in the Misty Mountains that are relatively time efficient; in Angmar, the various Iron Crown encampments that are scattered about, including the one in the Ram Duath, are all pretty good.

Quote from: TiLT
Well, it would seem that you're wrong if Blackjack's experiences are correct. His kill deed that doesn't specify a region to kill creatures in doesn't advance on grey mobs.

What I think Blackjack saw was the loading screen that refers to skill deeds, not kill deeds. One letter, big difference. Skill deeds are the ones that give a Trait as a reward (e.g. "Use Quick Thrust 100 times to receive the Trait 'Efficient Thrust'") and they do require that you use the skill on mobs that pose at least a minimal level of challenge to your character (i.e., non-grey).

Kill deeds, on the other hand, are always for increasing the rank of a virtue (e.g. +1 to Empathy), they are always region-specific (270 wolves in Bree-land, for instance) and they do count grey mobs.

Quote from: andon
Still playing on LLandroval.  I have a warder in the 20's now that I'm enjoying alot.  I just wish I could find an active group of people to fellowship with.

I have a Hunter, Asharaeth (57), and Warden, Asharadan (15), on Landroval. I'm usually on in the evenings, EST. Send me a /tell if you want; I can also probably hook you up with an invitation to OO's semi-official Kinship, Eyes of the Watcher. Even the Kin has been a little quiet over the summer months but a few people are still better than none. smile

- Ash
Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3955



View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »

Over on Elendilmir we have a couple of GTers in an active kin. If you want to check that out. I'm thinking I'm going to role a new toon within the next week, and we have several players in their mid to late 20s as well as a bunch of lvl 60s who are willing to help with fellowship quests, just as long as you ask.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.048s, 2q)