http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 10:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO - State of the game  (Read 50570 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2008, 06:17:26 AM »

Should get my Hunter to 50 pretty soon now. I played far too much last night and throughout today, off and on. Had a lot better luck latching onto pickup groups, including some that for a change stuck together to complete a book, or to help each other knock off a few quests. I love doing that, but a lot of PUGs just are doing one thing and then kaput. But this weekend was different.  icon_smile

I think the festival token/gift stuff is ending this weekend. Got this fairly snazzy orange cosmetic armor via the tokens.

Bought this at auction today. The final parts of the two level 45 class quests still elude me. I was able to buy one component at auction but others either aren't available, or cost several Gold.

By this point, a Hunter can usually pathfind to nearly any zone in the game. If yer short on time, it's tremendously useful (later quests send you all over the place, including into zones you thought you wouldn't need to re-visit), and has made me feel really useful in fellowships as far as shuttling people around. Like a taxi. But I get a kick out of it.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »

I was starting to get worried about leveling after hitting 23 on my hunter and then I ran across Ost Guruth.  Now I went from having 3-4 quests in each (far away) zone to having around 12 just in that general area.  And they are around my level so I'm not getting 6 exp per kill anymore for finishing my old ones Tongue

I still have the same complaints from way back though.  I'm aware a lot of it was put in to soak up gold from the economy but for new lower level characters (my highest is still only 23) it hurts.  Travel at 15s each way when most quests are still only paying 1-4s each hurts.  So do the skills trained that are costing 20-40s each now.  And setting mail prices to be a percentage of the value of the item sent sucks.  I have two bags of items I want to keep to send to a bank alt but can't afford it when it's 2-5s each post.  And my bank and first bank bag are both full.  I can see why people say the house is the much better deal and worth every silver but I'm weeks away from having enough money to afford a house.

I am looking forward to Moria more and more as I continue playing.  Something is different this time around but it's really grabbing me like it hasn't in the past.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »

Eric, acquiring gold picks up dramatically once you hit around 35.  When I re-launched my main recently, who was 39 at the time, I had about 2.5 gold.  9 levels later, I'm at a whopping 9.5 gold.  I'm frugal, so I don't buy much on the AH.  All I did was mine and sell the ingots.  Dwarf-iron, in particular, seems to sell like hotcakes.  And exceptional hides fly off the AH at the tune of 500s per stack of 50, and you'll get at least 250 or so by doing quests.

As for questing, one of my main complaints was the lack of quest "choices" during the 20s and 30s.  I don't know if it's improved or not, but there were a couple of levels where I really started to run dry on quests.  I thought the same thing was happening to me in the 40s, but I just missed some big quest hubs.  Once someone pointed me in the right direction, I was good to go. 

And yes, bag space is a constant problem, espeically once you start accumulating reputation items.

For my own adventures, I went into "Uru" last night - it's somewhere up in Angmar.  It was my first real experience healing a 6 man group and it was pretty neat.  We didn't have time to do all the bosses, but the ones I saw were pretty good and the design was excellent.  Given that I think Minstrels will be a harder-to-find class when Moria launches, it bodes well for my future instance-going that not one person died.  biggrin

I have to say that I think Turbine really hit their stride with level designs and that bodes well for Moria.  I wasn't impressed with many areas initially, but the re-done Angmar and Forochel are really excellent designs.  They have a LOT of quests, some great scenery and the quests themselves are often more interesting.  Some areas are damned annoying (the Peikko cave in Zig is particularly maddening), but most are superb.  Count me in for the MOM expansion...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »

I haven't posted here in a while, but since the last itme, I got my Minstrel up to 50.  Bring on Moria!!!!  I also bought the deluxe house as well.  I am still absolutely in love with this game.  I keep subs to both LOTRO and WAR and I just tend to favor LOTRO so much.  It will get even worse when Moria comes out.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 03, 2008, 01:13:23 PM

I was starting to get worried about leveling after hitting 23 on my hunter and then I ran across Ost Guruth.  Now I went from having 3-4 quests in each (far away) zone to having around 12 just in that general area.  And they are around my level so I'm not getting 6 exp per kill anymore for finishing my old ones Tongue

I still have the same complaints from way back though.  I'm aware a lot of it was put in to soak up gold from the economy but for new lower level characters (my highest is still only 23) it hurts.  Travel at 15s each way when most quests are still only paying 1-4s each hurts.  So do the skills trained that are costing 20-40s each now.  And setting mail prices to be a percentage of the value of the item sent sucks.  I have two bags of items I want to keep to send to a bank alt but can't afford it when it's 2-5s each post.  And my bank and first bank bag are both full.  I can see why people say the house is the much better deal and worth every silver but I'm weeks away from having enough money to afford a house.

I am looking forward to Moria more and more as I continue playing.  Something is different this time around but it's really grabbing me like it hasn't in the past.

Man, if you're using up that much bag/bank space as a level 23 you're keeping way to much junk around.  You should be selling most of what you find imo, and it will help your money problem.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »

I've never bothered with the house stuff, fwiw. My Kinship does have a house with multiple storage chests, and I toss a few things there, but I'd rather not fret about upkeep. What my kin generally likes to do is stock up rare recipes, quest items, pages etc. in hopes kinmates can benefit from it (my kinmates saved me a lot of time and money on my one legendary trait "book," and on some of the class quest stuff that takes you into rougher places).

Moria's moving quest items out of inventory and into their own slots on quest description pages should make a notable difference in inventory space (I probably have a whole bag's worth of quest crap I'm dragging everywhere). I guess I should say, "Moria's launch," because my understanding is the whole game will be updated to handle quest items that way, regardless of if you get the expansion.

People seem to want to pay pretty good money for harvested, untreated wood at the auction house. I never would've been able to afford my mount save for people paying handsome amounts for bundles of 50-wood. So if you're hurting for cash, I would consider forestry and just never pass up any chance to harvest some wood.  icon_smile

And I guess the flipside of expensive skills is you really don't have to get everything.

I got my hunter to roughly 49.8 or so yesterday. Hopefully I should hit 50 this week.  icon_cool My kin has no 50 hunters so I'll feel special.  icon_razz I'm looking forward to Heartseeker, the penultimate L50 skill that can't miss.  ninja2
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:13:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:56 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 03, 2008, 11:11:34 PM

I got my hunter to roughly 49.8 or so yesterday. Hopefully I should hit 50 this week.  icon_cool My kin has no 50 hunters so I'll feel special.  icon_razz I'm looking forward to Heartseeker, the penultimate L50 skill that can't miss.  ninja2

Heartseeker is one of the only special skills belonging to non-captain classes that I know well. The reason is that in good fellowships or raids, Heartseeker is usually used in combination with the captain's Oathbreakers (reduces enemy defenses by 40% or so) legendary trait, dealing truly massive damage to the target as a result.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »

Whats the state of the game concerning "new" subscriptions? Are the lower level areas empty?
Are kinships so settled into their end game mode that they're not taking newcomers?

I loooooved the Tolkien books....Must have read the whole series and silmarillion and the poetry of Tom Bombadill numerous times while I was overseas in the forces, years ago.

When Lotro first came out I was like a kid at Christmas......I thought this is it........how could it not be great?
Well it didn't take long for me to get disappointed with the "world" they created. Felt dead and lifeless...so I quit.

Have things changed much at all? I'm already burned out on Warhammer. It just seemed to fizzle out in T-3 and 4.

Is Rings worth coming back to? I'd be starting over from scratch.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

i quit after my 30-day trial for 1 reason.....i couldn't for the life of me find a group or party to quest with.    during the entire 30 days, i found exactly 1 questing group.    i love the solo aspect of LOTRO, but it's nice for a change of pace to group and i was never able to find one.   the last couple days before my trial ran out i literally spent a couple hours just attempting to find groups and never could.   had i been able to, i have no doubt i'd still be playing today.   i could research kinships, but i'd prefer to group with some peeps here.   however, i started on the RP server and looks like noone here plays there and i really don't want to reroll on another.   too bad, i like the game a ton frown

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 04, 2008, 12:44:41 PM

Whats the state of the game concerning "new" subscriptions? Are the lower level areas empty?
Are kinships so settled into their end game mode that they're not taking newcomers?

I loooooved the Tolkien books....Must have read the whole series and silmarillion and the poetry of Tom Bombadill numerous times while I was overseas in the forces, years ago.

When Lotro first came out I was like a kid at Christmas......I thought this is it........how could it not be great?
Well it didn't take long for me to get disappointed with the "world" they created. Felt dead and lifeless...so I quit.

Have things changed much at all? I'm already burned out on Warhammer. It just seemed to fizzle out in T-3 and 4.

Is Rings worth coming back to? I'd be starting over from scratch.

Both your and Xmann's posts express valid concerns.

First, I'll say that finding groups can be difficult on my server (Windfola) - at least I had a problem with it.  I think there will be a lot more lower level toons in a couple of weeks when the expansion (and 2 new classes) come out.  You might be able to time it to catch the leveling wave that comes with new classes, but you should expect to spend a lot of time soloing at lower levels.

As far as the world goes, I think I really understand what you're talking about.  Some of the lower level zones are downright boring.  I found places like Erid Luin and the Lone-Lands dreadful - it drove me to quit.  I can say that I think Turbine had greatly improved their world-building skills, because the revamped Angmar and Forochel are much better zones.  It gives me high hopes for the expansion.

I'll probably start leveling an alt after the rush in MoM settles down.  No matter what class or starting zone he was in, I'd run him over to The Shire and quest him in and around there because it's the best starting zone.  Then I'm kind of stuck with leveling in Bree and the Lone-Lands, but after that it tends to get better with North Downs and Evendim.  I had heard rumors that they'd lower the leveling requirements on characters (or boost XP gains at lower levels) after the expansion, but I don't know if that's true.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2008, 03:08:39 PM »

I am on Landroval and have not had much of a problem.  I think Landroval (unofficial RP server) is the second most popular server though and it definitely is one of the busiest.  I am 23 and still kicking around Bree, Trestlebridge and the early Lone Lands.  The one time I needed a group in the past few days I had 3 people offer to join in about two minutes.  I've seen three general kinships advertising for new members over the past week and a fourth hobbit burglar only kinship also advertising.  Right now the number of players running around is light but not empty.  I don't go long stretches without seeing anyone but I'm not tripping over people either.  I expect the low level areas to explode when Moria comes out and then die back down when people realize they'd rather level their 50 in Moria than start over (again) with a Warden.

It would be great if they lowered the leveling or xp requirements for 1-30, etc but I've been reading the official forums pretty regularly and haven't seen a hint of that in the past few weeks. 

For the others...it's much more solo friendly now.  And the two new classes are supposed to be excellent solo capable classes.  Not much help for those who want a group everytime but great for someone like me who doesn't play often or during a set time.  I hate spending 20 minutes finding a group when I only have an hour to play.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »

Grouping doesn't seem to really kick in until at earliest mid-20's, other than some barrow-downs questing.  Once you hit near 30 groups seem more plentiful.  One thing I've found is that if you're waiting for a group, you'll wait a long time.  I've been getting the ball rolling myself and have had good groups every day I've played this week because of it.  Don't forget to populate your friends list from good groups too, cause then you can always call on someone even if they're cities away.

So yeah, under 25 expect to solo a lot with some small exceptions.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »

If ya'll hadn't heard, some sort of construction accident (or a terrible driver), crashed into part of Turbine's admin HQ in Boston and took out all their power and Internet. Game data are in separate data centers, but a lot of people still having trouble logging in (and others are OK, so it varies).

Some info here:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=2360775#post2360775

Server pops vary a lot. I know if I complain about Elendilmir, people come out of the woodwork claiming they "never have problems grouping," but my experience has varied wildly from day to day and week to week. And it's easy to say "go find a kinship," I've found it a lot harder to find one that I really like, and that keeps the same weird hours that I do, and that has some semblance of a maturity level (though I've generally found people better behaved in LOTRO than others I've tried).

The one thing I do find is people tend to just want to pick-up group up for one specific thing, and once it's over, boom, everyone leaves and you never team up with any of them again. In City of Heroes, I felt like more people teamed up simply because it was fun and would more often stick together for an extended period of time. Here it seems more like "I have to invite some people because I can't otherwise finish this group quest" and once that's over, boom. I did though find a PUG over the weekend that stuck together for the duration of a series of book chapters, and I really did enjoy that. I wish it happened more often.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:04:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 04, 2008, 10:02:45 PM

The one thing I do find is people tend to just want to pick-up group up for one specific thing, and once it's over, boom, everyone leaves and you never team up with any of them again. In City of Heroes, I felt like more people teamed up simply because it was fun and would more often stick together for an extended period of time. Here it seems more like "I have to invite some people because I can't otherwise finish this group quest" and once that's over, boom. I did though find a PUG over the weekend that stuck together for the duration of a series of book chapters, and I really did enjoy that. I wish it happened more often.

Agreed on groups dumping the second a task is completed.  I have been a part of a few longer lasting groups and have those people now as my go to for questing when they're logged in.  I also agree that finding a good kinship is much easier said than done, as I've been keeping a steady eye out with no luck.  Might see more recruitment when Moria hits though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2008, 05:34:51 AM »

Da, da, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I didn't get a chance to use it yet. I'm such a level-fixated guy, once I hit 50, I felt like "what's the point?" icon_razz A kinmate suggested I not turn in any other completed quests until Moria releases (since you get zero XP at 50 right now). It has a nifty crosshair effect (which appears on the enemy) when you prepare to use it.

Bring on Moria!  icon_cool As I blabbed, my Kinship has gobs of L50 characters in every class except.... Hunters.  icon_smile

Time to work on pushing my Captain to 50, but I miss my Hunter pathfinding skills something awful when I do.

Everything's relative - I've been reading posts from "altholics" on the official forums who have 8, or 16 characters at L50. I can't believe anybody has less of a life than I do, but apparently it's true.  smirk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:37:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2008, 03:01:47 PM »

Gratz matey. I know, the amount of people in Warhammer who reached lv-40 in such a short time astounded me.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 04, 2008, 03:08:39 PM

I am on Landroval and have not had much of a problem.  I think Landroval (unofficial RP server) is the second most popular server though and it definitely is one of the busiest.  I am 23 and still kicking around Bree, Trestlebridge and the early Lone Lands.  The one time I needed a group in the past few days I had 3 people offer to join in about two minutes.  I've seen three general kinships advertising for new members over the past week and a fourth hobbit burglar only kinship also advertising.  Right now the number of players running around is light but not empty.  I don't go long stretches without seeing anyone but I'm not tripping over people either.  I expect the low level areas to explode when Moria comes out and then die back down when people realize they'd rather level their 50 in Moria than start over (again) with a Warden.

I am on Landroval as well and definitely can find groups.  I tend to mostly solo and I couldn't always find groups for my particular quests, but eventually I did.  I also always saw people forming up groups for some quest or another.

As for the world, I think it is full of life and personality.  The story aspects in the game are great and really make the world feel alive to me.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »

Speaking of Landroval, they had a major server "sub-server" problem last night that fubar'd Landroval for a time. They ended up "removing" the defective sub-server from service and presumably are replacing it, and things seemed OK by last night. I couldn't tell from the forum posts if it was related to the fire/power outage problems yesterday.

Landroval issues
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2361866#post2361866

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »

Nov. 6-10 is "Welcome Back Weekend."

Welcome Back Weekend
http://www.lotro.com/news/263-welcomeback
From November 6-10, we're offering free LOTRO access to our former players*! Returning players are invited to patch up, jump in, and start playing on their old characters to get them ready for Moria. And from November 6-17,  there's +25% bonus experience gain on mob kills** for everyone who logs in and plays!

Prepare your characters for the wonder and dread of Moria by taking advantage of these bonus XP days! Tell your friends to log in and play, level your mains and alts, and get ready to Conquer the World Beneath™!

* Offer available only to former players of LOTRO with a paid online subscription in good standing at the time the subscription expired.
** The bonus XP stacks with rest XP as well!
The link has standard and high resolution client download links (if you install from the "launch" DVD, you'll have a ton of updates to do beyond that; the client downloads are presumably Current).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »

I'm giving it a try again this weekend.  After reading this great thread of impressions I'm tempted to go back! What servers are most of you playing on these days?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »

Hope you're not running into the dreaded "login wait ques," which started returning this afternoon.  disgust What I find annoying is the game keeps dumping me out when it should be finally logging me in. It never seems to work on the first "login after waiting".

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

I think the main server here is Landroval.  Brandywine is also popular I think.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2008, 01:44:14 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 08, 2008, 09:32:09 PM

Hope you're not running into the dreaded "login wait ques," which started returning this afternoon.  disgust What I find annoying is the game keeps dumping me out when it should be finally logging me in. It never seems to work on the first "login after waiting".

I'm in queue for Landroval now.  First time in a long time.  Doesn't bode well for the Moria release but it's good to see the people playing again.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »

Quote from: ericb on November 09, 2008, 01:44:14 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 08, 2008, 09:32:09 PM

I'm in queue for Landroval now.  First time in a long time.  Doesn't bode well for the Moria release but it's good to see the people playing again.

it happened the last Welcome Back weekend and once it ended, there were no more queues...now, once Moria launches, maybe that will change.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »

I really don't *want* there to be login ques. I'd like to think Turbine has built in enough capacity that a few people, even a few thousand people returning to grind away at their 25% exp bonuses, isn't going to swamp the login servers because if they in fact don't have that extra capacity, then I can only imagine what an unholy nightmare it's going to be when Moria launches. I guess it depends on how many brand new subscribers Moria draws in.

Then again, with certain Other MMOs launching expansions the same week, maybe there won't be quite the rush of people they were expecting.  icon_neutral Which might actually be better for the game in terms of server stability, and reasonable length login ques.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:10:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 05, 2008, 11:59:09 PM

Nov. 6-10 is "Welcome Back Weekend."

Welcome Back Weekend
http://www.lotro.com/news/263-welcomeback
From November 6-10, we're offering free LOTRO access to our former players*! Returning players are invited to patch up, jump in, and start playing on their old characters to get them ready for Moria. And from November 6-17,  there's +25% bonus experience gain on mob kills** for everyone who logs in and plays!

Prepare your characters for the wonder and dread of Moria by taking advantage of these bonus XP days! Tell your friends to log in and play, level your mains and alts, and get ready to Conquer the World Beneath™!

* Offer available only to former players of LOTRO with a paid online subscription in good standing at the time the subscription expired.
** The bonus XP stacks with rest XP as well!
The link has standard and high resolution client download links (if you install from the "launch" DVD, you'll have a ton of updates to do beyond that; the client downloads are presumably Current).
I did the welcome back thing basically to check it out with my new DX10-capable card. Looked pretty nice. 19 out of 22 quests for my 27 Champ were group only. Reminded me in a hurry why I quit.  icon_lol

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 09, 2008, 05:05:01 PM

Then again, with certain Other MMOs launching expansions the same week, maybe there won't be quite the rush of people they were expecting.  icon_neutral Which might actually be better for the game in terms of server stability, and reasonable length login ques.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WoW's expansion comes out the week before, and EQ2 and LotRO have an expansion the same week. And something tells me that City of Heroes will launch their next Issue the same two weeks.

Yeah, it's MMO madness.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 05, 2008, 11:59:09 PM

I did the welcome back thing basically to check it out with my new DX10-capable card. Looked pretty nice. 19 out of 22 quests for my 27 Champ were group only. Reminded me in a hurry why I quit.  icon_lol

-Randy

If you haven't played in a while then you need to cancel all of your current quests and get the new ones.  I'm at 26.5 on my hunter now and 75% of the quests I've done over the past couple weeks have been solo.  They have added a ton of solo quests in North Downs, Lone Lands and revamped a lot of the older quests as well.  The group quests are still there but you do not need to do them to continue leveling.

EDIT: now 27.5 and moving on.  The only group quest I've done in the past week is finishing book 2 (starting with the elite undead).  I also had a bit of luck in the AH with so many people playing this weekend so my little house is now going to be a reality smile
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:45:05 PM by ericb » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2008, 06:06:17 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on November 09, 2008, 08:03:08 PM

-Randy

This is usually a sign that you've missed a major quest area. Eastern Lone-lands and the North Downs are the big hubs for that level range, and you can even begin to look at the quests in southern Evendim.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:03 PM »

I spent the weekend enjoying the XP boost and pushing my lone Guardian from 22 to 29. While my Kinship has several, only 3 are still actively playing and they're all around 40-50. So I figure at the least, if a kinmate works up one of the two new Moria classes, then I can lend a Guardian hand on their way up.  icon_smile

I'm really not much of a Tank guy in MMOs. I had one in the upper 30s in City of Heroes, and that's about it. But I like the Guardian even if it takes some time to get things down. Some of the more interesting skills I didn't know anything about til now. Including the one that lets you regenerate a bunch of power quickly (varying on the # of enemies near you) and that isn't interruptible (Hunters have an in-combat power-regen skill but it's slow and interruptible), and the one that lets you call in a "wandering tinker" at a campfire site to help you and your fellowship make repairs - I imagine that'll be more useful in the upper zones that have more of those campfires.

I can see though where impatient types and trial players would lose patience around the 20 mark. I felt like I had increasing fun with my Guardian around L25. He'll probably go into mothballs once Moria launches, but at least I've got half the classes covered. I just so far haven't gotten beyond single digits with the other 3 classes. They just haven't "clicked" for me.  But I'm a lifetime subscriber now, so I guess I've got time.  smirk

If anyone's belatedly getting into Guardians like me, a user-created FAQ at forums has been helpful to me in understanding some of the skills I'm considering:
Guardian: A Reference, Guide and FAQ
http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=472152&postcount=1
*It's an ooooooold post (April 2007), and some of it may be out of date, esp. the links.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:10:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »

Turbine is testing a new "social networking site" for LOTRO, called My LOTRO:
http://my.lotro.com/

To look up my L57 archer Georic, make sure to change the drop down menu to "character" (not Player), and then you should be able to see some of my stats 'n stuff (I don't think the full stats are working just yet, from what I can see). It's in beta, so I think they're fiddling with tools to let you show - or not show - as much/as little info on your characters as you're comfortable sharing.

What's kinda neat is when you click the icons in the lower left of the page, you see some things like most recent completed deeds and quests, and what days/times you leveled your character. And you can see that I clearly play way too damn much.  icon_razz

==============
If  you're wondering what Kins can do with the new site (and to some extent individuals), including blogs, here's Turbine's take:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3143361#post3143361
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:58:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:47 PM »

Forum Effect + Gaming ADD = Me thinking of re-subbing.

For the life of me I can't find my box, my disks, or registration key and I can't remember my info to log into Turbine's site to download the game! I may just pick up Moria (has the original game right?) and start fresh with a new character anyway.

Had a Hunter on Landroval at launch...

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:58 PM »

Quote from: BrianE on December 10, 2008, 10:55:47 PM

For the life of me I can't find my box, my disks, or registration key and I can't remember my info to log into Turbine's site to download the game! I may just pick up Moria (has the original game right?) and start fresh with a new character anyway.

If you buy the Moria box it includes the original game, all patches (except the most recent) and 30 days free playing time (if you start over with a new account).  It's the best way to go if you are willing to give up any existing characters since it's only $40 while the expansion alone is $30.

I've been wanting to play but WOTLK is taking all of my time right now.  I'm active for another six months though so I will be coming back in eventually smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:46 PM »

Quote from: BrianE on December 10, 2008, 10:55:47 PM

I'm sure you can probably call Turbine customer service to get your old login stuff e-mailed to you. Even if you've lost everything in sight, they should be able to find you by your e-mail address.

If you didn't get far with your original characters, then I guess just ignoring them and setting up a new account (probably under a different e-mail address, to avoid conflicts in their account system) is dandy. But if you made some good progress before, I would give their customer service a try first. Getting Moria Complete is probably still the way to go - I'm just suggesting some things as a way to keep your original account/characters.  icon_smile

Online, you might try this LOTRO account solutions site:
http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/turbinesupport/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=15&ao=t

There's a subsection on reactivating a canceled account, including if you've lost your password.
http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/lotro.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=111&SearchType=advanced&referrer=&CustID=&rfield=&usertype=&formaction=search&bUseEditor=&IncludeHTML=&gpn=&gpv=&keyword=&match=and&catID1=3&catID2=&catID3=&sortmethod=rel+desc%2C+datemodified&submitbutton=Go

Or you can call 'em: [just note that it's *not* a toll-free number]
Call our Account Management team

Speak live with one of our Account Management Representatives via telephone from 12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. ET Monday - Friday by dialing:

781-407-4020.
There's also a page there to send them an e-mail, which I assume would include questions about reactivating a cancelled account.

Good luck!  icon_smile And I am a "returnee" too. I was in late beta, pre-ordered in summer 2007, had lots of fun with it, but then I faded out into several other MMOs (returned to City of Heroes, played stuff like Hellgate: London, Tabula Rasa and Age of Conan), but I kept wondering why I kept saying "why don't they do this stuff the way Turbine did in LOTRO?" and that led me back, well before Moria's release.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:53:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 10, 2008, 01:18:16 AM

Turbine is testing a new "social networking site" for LOTRO, called My LOTRO:
http://my.lotro.com/

Kupriel reached level 42 on 5/29/2007 - that's sad.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »

Wow, now you can see all the stuff folks are wearing (I couldn't seem to see them the other day).

Interesting, when you hover over legendary stuff (feel free to look up my Georic for examples - has legendary bow and a sword), it lists *all* possible tier legacies. Useful to know.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

That site won't let me log in. I'm trying to use my LoTRO account name and password but it tells me I dont have an active account.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »

When you set up an account, Turbine's system sends an automated e-mail to you with your login and password. Are you sure you don't have that somewhere in Google e-mail, Hotmail, a stray e-mail folder, something like that?

I mean, if you've really managed to lose/erase from existence all evidence you ever had an LOTRO account, then I guess starting a new account from scratch is maybe the best bet afterall. Although I think giving customer service a call might still be worth a try (maybe they can search canceled accounts by e-mail and the last 4 digits of your credit card on file). But if you're not worried about the old characters, I guess I wouldn't worry about that.

Although that page has a brief section on setting up an additional, second account, it's again assuming you can login to your original account. I think that situation's maybe more for husband/wives who are playing separate characters (i.e., they want separate logins so they can play together), but want payment to technically go under one account from a billing perspective (or families that play together etc.).

If you want, I'll try to post your situation (I won't mention your name or anything there, just your situation -- surely someone else there has been in the same boat) at the official forums and see if I can get a response there. Although I have a forum login for the official forums, to this day I've never posted a word there. So it would be a first for me.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:57:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 11, 2008, 04:31:21 PM

That site won't let me log in. I'm trying to use my LoTRO account name and password but it tells me I dont have an active account.

It uses your forum login.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »

Got the complete edition at Gamestop today for 30 bucks, so I'll be starting fresh tonight! What server would you guys suggest? Are most of you on Landroval or elsewhere?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:41:55 PM by BrianE » Logged

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: