http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:36:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO - State of the game  (Read 51532 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »

fwiw, I decided to return to LOTORO, at least for a bit (hopefully longer than I returned to Tabula Rasa icon_razz).

Although I like AoC's combat, lots of the things that I struggle with in that remind me of things I preferred in LOTORO (right down to things like a better search/advertise for teammates system, and to the quest tracker letting you keep multiple quests up on your HUD rather than just one).

It took several hours to get the game fully updated yesterday, but it was painless other than taking that much time.

Alas, gah, the account page won't let me reactivate today. Hopefully a temporary glitch.

And I guess given all the laptops with precious info being lost and stolen these days, it's a little perturbing that Turbine retains your credit card information after you cancel (NCSoft by comparison deletes the info when you cancel).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 04:58:04 PM »

I quit quite a while ago, so it's nice with the newer PC to finally be able to run the high rez textures in DX10 mode.

On my old PC, this scene and the waving flowers brought it to a virtual standstill.  icon_razz

I seem to mistakenly remember having two characters in the 40s but my hunter ran out of gas, and a Captain was my peak.

AoC's quest tracker is, by comparison, a neanderthal club.  disgust

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 17, 2008, 04:58:04 PM

Ah, LotRO - the only game where 'man' and 'woman' are considered races. biggrin

That said - DAMN does the game look pretty with the DX10 stuff turned on. I may have to resub for a month (never really got anywhere when I played) just to see how it now looks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »

Yeah, I can't wait until I upgrade my machine and can crank up the shinies in this game.  I'm so sick of being bare minimum.  frown

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 07:20:32 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 17, 2008, 03:49:55 PM

fwiw, I decided to return to LOTORO, at least for a bit (hopefully longer than I returned to Tabula Rasa icon_razz).

What is this fabled "LOTORO" you keep speaking of? I know of a game called LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), but there's no additional O in there.

Joking aside, I've been continually subscribed to this game since a month after launch. It's the only MMORPG I've ever played that I can return to and rediscover the fun all over again and really enjoy myself. My main character (captain) has been level 50 for quite a while now, but I still have tons of stuff to do with him.

Can't wait until Mines of Moria arrives. smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »

You can see above that back in January, I renewed my subscription.  I canceled a couple of months later after making it to level 42 with said Minstrel.  Again, I just found the game to be lacking *something*.  I think it's the gameworld - it just seems to be static.  The Ring quests were a great idea, but when I can travel to Rivendell and see Frodo and the gang there, they really lose a lot of meaning.  How can I be helping Frodo when he's already safe and sound in Rivendell?  While the graphics and the terrain are nice, they're lacking of any real surprises.  It's neat to climb to the top of Weathertop, but it's really anti-climatic when you just find a few bats flying around.  It's a major achievement to get to Rivendell, but everyone is just standing around.  It's fun to climb up into the Misty Mountains, but there's really nothing up there but a big snowy field.  All in all, the world just seemed to be pretty boring.

Combine that with some rather uninteresting character classes - after trying about 4 or 5, I didn't ever find one that I really liked - with too many similarities amongst mobs (wolves, bears and bats...oh my!), some fairly dull coloring (brown, brown and more brown) to the zones and a lack of good loot drops and I just didn't find the game appealing enough to keep playing.  Others will get past these areas or find a class that "clicks" and they'll love it.  In other words, your mileage may vary. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 19, 2008, 01:29:39 PM

You can see above that back in January, I renewed my subscription.  I canceled a couple of months later after making it to level 42 with said Minstrel.  Again, I just found the game to be lacking *something*.  I think it's the gameworld - it just seems to be static.  The Ring quests were a great idea, but when I can travel to Rivendell and see Frodo and the gang there, they really lose a lot of meaning.  How can I be helping Frodo when he's already safe and sound in Rivendell?  While the graphics and the terrain are nice, they're lacking of any real surprises.  It's neat to climb to the top of Weathertop, but it's really anti-climatic when you just find a few bats flying around.  It's a major achievement to get to Rivendell, but everyone is just standing around.  It's fun to climb up into the Misty Mountains, but there's really nothing up there but a big snowy field.  All in all, the world just seemed to be pretty boring.

Combine that with some rather uninteresting character classes - after trying about 4 or 5, I didn't ever find one that I really liked - with too many similarities amongst mobs (wolves, bears and bats...oh my!), some fairly dull coloring (brown, brown and more brown) to the zones and a lack of good loot drops and I just didn't find the game appealing enough to keep playing.  Others will get past these areas or find a class that "clicks" and they'll love it.  In other words, your mileage may vary. 

Sounds like what you really want to play is a traditional high-fantasy game, which LOTRO isn't. It's not quite low-fantasy either, but there's little to no flashy magic, armor and equipment that leans towards realism, and terrain that matches Tolkien's descriptions. What were you expecting to find at Weathertop anyway, Nazgul? Through a specific quest line, you'll find that a band of orcs eventually take over Weathertop and build an encampment there, which you will assault. At the top, their leader hides a present that should be climatic enough: A huge troll that he lets out of a cage to wreak havoc on you.

I find Turbine's sober attitude towards fantasy is really refreshing, especially after playing WoW (look, I'm a cow! On two feet! Flying on a wyvern! Above volcanic fields inhabited by dozens of dragons! While my zombie friend is right behind me! And he's ready to summon demons to help us out in battle! etc...). LOTRO has a nice balance between wide open areas for exploration (Forochel, the Bree-fields, parts of the Lone-lands) and tightly knit areas where danger and deadly surprises lurk around every corner (Angmar, High Pass) and a mix between those two. Every single area is filled to the brim with content, keeping you busy there for quite a while if you're so inclined. The game is casually oriented (you can easily solo your way to level 50 now without grinding) yet allows for intricate and challenging group content. It's got player housing, a really nice cosmetics system for clothing, the best and most engaging storyline in any MMORPG so far (though it doesn't really open up until the endgame, at which point it becomes truly epic), and best of all, it lets you interact with the characters you know and love (unless you hate LOTR, in which case you should steer well clear of this game) while also contributing to the story.

MMORPGs tend to bore me after a month or two. LOTRO still has me playing and enjoying myself after more than a year.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 19, 2008, 07:20:32 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 17, 2008, 03:49:55 PM

What is this fabled "LOTORO" you keep speaking of? I know of a game called LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), but there's no additional O in there.
Actually, I meant "Lord of the Other Rings Online."

I'll start a new thread for it because you guys obviously aren't part of the LOTORO Beta Test!  saywhat icon_lol

The two classes that clicked best for me (as you can tell from my character slots screeny I reckon) were the Captain and a bow-focused Hunter. I'm working on a Guardian on my return visit. My Captain started struggling with some 40-ish quests, and some weird areas I couldn't seem to pass without croaking. I tried to get into Monster play but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

What I liked about the Captain is I could effectively solo most of the time, and the healing/buff abilities generally made Georien pretty in-demand for group stuff. Though sometimes I'd get distraught when a group didn't get a second healer of some sort and I wasn't able to keep us upright.

While I have general affection for the game, I guess I mostly just missed the sheer polish it has at this point (and it had a generally smooth launch, it was already pretty polished out of the box). I played LOT...RO in late beta before then seguing into the launch game and never really missed a beat. Often that's not been my experience with other MMOs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:29:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »

Oh, if some of you all still play, what servers are you on? I won't stalk you  icon_smile But my guild is long-gone and my friends list is populated with folks who either won't remember me or stopped playing months ago, from what I can tell.

My characters are mostly on... well, it's the server name that's hardest to spell.  icon_razz But, I'm game for anything (that was just the server the guild I was in played on).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 05:09:44 AM »

It took some time but today I finally felt re-hooked on the game (got my Guardian a few levels, close to 12 now).

With a newer PC I can finally run it with the high-rez textures and most things turned up, and the game never slows down at all.

What looks better from my experience last year includes character models:

water (this is one of the few MMOs I haven't found myself needing to turn shadows off/down in)

foliage

I miss the feel of AoC's combat, but not much else from it. Though what sux about returning to something so many months later, is I've basically forgotten everything I learned back then. But it at least keeps it a fresh experience.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

Bah, I wish you were on Brandywine.

I've just re-upped to LOTRO (new Guardian up to 13), due to the simple fact it just seems so much more polished than the other MMOs, plus having a pretty well behaved and mature playerbase helps too.

If it had AoCs combat....heaven. smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »

I wish I loved the game as much as I do the books. For me there is just something missing from the atmosphere of LoTRo.
It is a very well done game, no doubt about it. And for the longest time I couldn't really put my finger on why it never grabbed me like other
good MMO's do.

All I can say is for me it just doesn't feel like Tolkiens world. The names are there, the places are there..the lore is there...........The atmosphere isn't.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »

The other thing I've missed about this is being able to slide or leap down the highest cliff without dying every time, as in Age of Conan. Here you get a nasty debuff (which lasts longer, the higher you fall).

My point is not to rave about how wonderful LOTRO is. Rather, if you play some less polished MMOs, and come back to this, you'll probably wonder why those hot new MMOs you left to play are so much less polished.  icon_cool

I would say books and games (esp. MMOs) are different, in a way just like movies and books are different. Different experiences. Expecting them to be the same experience is just setting up oneself for disappointment. Don't torture yourself like that.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:31:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »

Nevertheless, while LOTRO may be more or less perfect game-engine wise, they ARE missing in atmosphere - even AoC had the conan atmosphere right, oozing in everywhere, whereas in LOTRO its, well....it just feels like a game, nothing else...

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 31, 2008, 03:29:01 PM

The other thing I've missed about this is being able to slide or leap down the highest cliff without dying every time, as in Age of Conan. Here you get a nasty debuff (which lasts longer, the higher you fall).

My point is not to rave about how wonderful LOTRO is. Rather, if you play some less polished MMOs, and come back to this, you'll probably wonder why those hot new MMOs you left to play are so much less polished.  icon_cool

I would say books and games (esp. MMOs) are different, in a way just like movies and books are different. Different experiences. Expecting them to be the same experience is just setting up oneself for disappointment. Don't torture yourself like that.  icon_smile

Oh no torture at all. But for me The Lord of the Rings is all about atmosphere or else it becomes just another MMO. But its worth saying again that the mechanics and other componants of a good MMO are all there with LoTRo.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 01, 2008, 06:23:27 AM

Nevertheless, while LOTRO may be more or less perfect game-engine wise, they ARE missing in atmosphere - even AoC had the conan atmosphere right, oozing in everywhere, whereas in LOTRO its, well....it just feels like a game, nothing else...

Are you playing the same LOTRO as I'm playing? I haven't come across a single MMORPG (AoC included) that oozes as much atmosphere as LOTRO. Heading into places like Carn Dum or Forochel feels just right, and the different zones feel quite different even though they might not always have a dramatic difference in color usage.

Also, LOTRO is the only MMORPG I've seen where not only are you motivated by earning the next level or the next big piece of loot, but you also want to do quests just to see how the story ends.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 10:38:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 01, 2008, 02:33:03 PM

Are you playing the same LOTRO as I'm playing? I haven't come across a single MMORPG (AoC included) that oozes as much atmosphere as LOTRO. Heading into places like Carn Dum or Forochel feels just right, and the different zones feel quite different even though they might not always have a dramatic difference in color usage.

Also, LOTRO is the only MMORPG I've seen where not only are you motivated by earning the next level or the next big piece of loot, but you also want to do quests just to see how the story ends.

I essentially said the same thing on the page before.  While this may ooze atmosphere for you, it's entirely lacking in character for some of us.  I though the world was largely uninspired outside the Shire, with the Dwarf/Elf starting zone being particularly horrendous.  Talk about a fuck-up in the Lore - Dwarves and Elves don't interact much...so why in the hell would they have the same starting zone?  I also disagree with you on doing quests to see how the story ends.  I already know how it ends.  I just didn't find many memorable quest story lines.  Also, I think having Frodo and Friends at Rivendell was a huge mistake.  Why should I care about the Ring quests when I already know they're safe and sound in Rivendell? 

However, I did find LOTRO to be the most technically competent release on launch, including WoW.  It's not a horrible game...it's actually a good but dull game.  And "good but dull" isn't enough to keep me coming back month after month.  As I said before...your mileage may vary.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 04:24:57 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 01, 2008, 10:38:49 PM

Quote from: TiLT on September 01, 2008, 02:33:03 PM

I essentially said the same thing on the page before.  While this may ooze atmosphere for you, it's entirely lacking in character for some of us.  I though the world was largely uninspired outside the Shire, with the Dwarf/Elf starting zone being particularly horrendous.  Talk about a fuck-up in the Lore - Dwarves and Elves don't interact much...so why in the hell would they have the same starting zone?  I also disagree with you on doing quests to see how the story ends.  I already know how it ends.  I just didn't find many memorable quest story lines.  Also, I think having Frodo and Friends at Rivendell was a huge mistake.  Why should I care about the Ring quests when I already know they're safe and sound in Rivendell? 

However, I did find LOTRO to be the most technically competent release on launch, including WoW.  It's not a horrible game...it's actually a good but dull game.  And "good but dull" isn't enough to keep me coming back month after month.  As I said before...your mileage may vary.

QFT

Good but dull.  Low magic, not a lot of character pizzaz, not a lot of cool stuff, mmo.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »

I also disagree with you on doing quests to see how the story ends.  I already know how it ends. 

You do? So you already know who wins out of Amarthiel and Mordrith? Is Narchuil reforged or destroyed forever? And what about Mordrambor, where does his allegiance lie, once the dice fall? Does Skorgrim's alliance with the Nazgul result in the resurrection of Thorog the dragon, or is this dire threat to Middle-earth averted? That must have been some spoiler site you've read.

Or perhaps you think the War of the Ring was all about Frodo and Aragorn.

At least I know now that you never got involved in the story beyond Book 3 or 4 at the maximum. The epic story in Volume One stretches across 15 books. The reason you haven't seen all that much of it is that its important parts start at nearly level 50. This is what the end-game is about for many people, working on the epic storyline that describes the parts of the War of the Ring that were either not mentioned, or were barely touched in LOTR. While the quest to destroy the Ring is still the most important, once you've seen what goes on in the rest of Eriador, you'll realize that the fate of Middle-earth rests on far more than just destroying that ring.

That's what I'm talking about.

And about your comments on the starting zone for elves and dwarves: Ered Luin *is* a major location for both elves and dwarves in LOTR, and there is great tension between them there. The storyline I played in that region involved them nearly going to war against each other because of a refusal to attempt to understand each others' cultures, and only after clear evidence had been presented to free the dwarves of suspicion could the two of them ally against their common foe. The fact that elf and dwarf players run around and group is an unfortunate quirk of MMORPGs and their players that is hard to avoid. At least the two races' quests are completely separate until the end of the zone unless you deliberately go out of your way to quest for the other race, which would be unusual.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 05:59:08 PM »

Ahhh...it's good to be a casual fan. I'm able to forgo the rivet-counting, lore-abiding arguments, preconceptions, and expectations....while enjoying things for what they are.  slywink
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2008, 04:33:17 AM

I also disagree with you on doing quests to see how the story ends.  I already know how it ends. 

You do? So you already know who wins out of Amarthiel and Mordrith? Is Narchuil reforged or destroyed forever? And what about Mordrambor, where does his allegiance lie, once the dice fall? Does Skorgrim's alliance with the Nazgul result in the resurrection of Thorog the dragon, or is this dire threat to Middle-earth averted? That must have been some spoiler site you've read.

Or perhaps you think the War of the Ring was all about Frodo and Aragorn.

At least I know now that you never got involved in the story beyond Book 3 or 4 at the maximum. The epic story in Volume One stretches across 15 books. The reason you haven't seen all that much of it is that its important parts start at nearly level 50. This is what the end-game is about for many people, working on the epic storyline that describes the parts of the War of the Ring that were either not mentioned, or were barely touched in LOTR. While the quest to destroy the Ring is still the most important, once you've seen what goes on in the rest of Eriador, you'll realize that the fate of Middle-earth rests on far more than just destroying that ring.

That's what I'm talking about.

And about your comments on the starting zone for elves and dwarves: Ered Luin *is* a major location for both elves and dwarves in LOTR, and there is great tension between them there. The storyline I played in that region involved them nearly going to war against each other because of a refusal to attempt to understand each others' cultures, and only after clear evidence had been presented to free the dwarves of suspicion could the two of them ally against their common foe. The fact that elf and dwarf players run around and group is an unfortunate quirk of MMORPGs and their players that is hard to avoid. At least the two races' quests are completely separate until the end of the zone unless you deliberately go out of your way to quest for the other race, which would be unusual.

I got to book 7 or so in Volume One, I think with 4 characters to at least level 15 and one to 42 or so.  I just didn't find it all that interesting.  And the storyline I played in that region involved going to either elves or dwarves and killing 10 more flying bats and another 15 wolves in between finding groups to do something or other with Frodo and the Ring with a mix group of elves and dwarven PCs.  Weird....I don't recognize the game you're playing.  

But again, this isn't a debate.  It's just personal preference.  You find it great - I'm happy for you.  I have two friends that I got to join with me on launch and they're still enjoying it.  Others of us - myself, Jafisob, Razgon - found it a bit too boring for various reasons.  For instance, I never found the political BS above made any difference at all in my quests.  And perhaps because it didn't seem to matter and I didn't find much compelling about the gameworld, my character progression never became personally important to me.  Obviously, you have a major Jones for that and that could fuel your desire to see what's around the next bend.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

I'm really Sauron, and getting you guys to argue about LOTRO's merits is my devious way of keeping the threads bumped until Mines of Moria comes out. Bahahahahaha.  stirthepot icon_razz Just try not to bite off each other's fingers...  thumbsup

Right now I'm just having fun working on my Guardian (I never really worked on one on my first stint). Right now, in the late teens I don't feel very Guardianesque, but I see some traits developing that should help quite a bit.

Oh, my info is (did we ever have an LOTRO character/server thread here?):

name: Geowaru
server: Elemendril, Elemindir, er, whatever that is (sorry, I never spell it right icon_redface)

I latched onto a tiny guild, but could always use some company.  icon_smile

One of the things I prefer over my AoC experience (for all my AoC bashing, I am still subscribing btw) is at least some sense of choice on where to quest in certain level ranges. So I've had characters go up to Trestlebridge and focus there, and others head well East of Bree and focus there. And sometimes have gone a little crazy with mapping and horse rides to try to work through the content in both regions. But I don't feel quite as constricted as I did in AoC, where we all pretty much had to work through the same areas (contributing to this claustrophobic feeling of everyone at a given level adventuring in the same areas), and the sheer inadequate number of quests all but forced folks into overlapping on each other, or kill-stealing or just getting in each other's way in general.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:42:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 03:52:18 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 31, 2008, 02:24:58 PM

I wish I loved the game as much as I do the books. For me there is just something missing from the atmosphere of LoTRo.
It is a very well done game, no doubt about it. And for the longest time I couldn't really put my finger on why it never grabbed me like other
good MMO's do.

All I can say is for me it just doesn't feel like Tolkiens world. The names are there, the places are there..the lore is there...........The atmosphere isn't.

I have to disagree with you there.  Everything about this game screams Tolkien.  I get so excited going to new areas.  The first time I went to Rivendell, my jaw dropped because it was so beautiful.  Seeing the three stone trolls in The Trollshaws was so cool.  Weathertop was amazing.  One thing that I really love about this game that I think perfectly reflects the books is the dread mechanic they put in.  How it zaps your health and how it makes the world seem so gloomy.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 05:49:56 AM »

I've gotten quite re-hooked. I have no informed opinion on its Tolkienesqueness or lack thereof (I'm eminently un-qualified). I did get to join in on a fun full (6) fellowship tonight and we knocked off three group quests in succession. Mostly had a ball.

And I shall inflict screenshots in general...

Costumes
-I like this little feature that basically lets you place costume pieces on a couple special tabs without needing to have the items in inventory (fully enabled at level 20). Couple glimpses...

I forgot the name of this. Squire something, I wanna say.

Blackjack goes babe-like! A simple dress.

From our rollicking, mostly well-behaved 6-person team. My Guardian's on cusp of 21. I never really played one beyond a few levels, so this whole Tanking thing is all Greek to me here. It's actually liberating to be told "You go aggro everything!"  icon_razz
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:54:36 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »

My Guardian's (new to me) up to about 21. I've found that while I really love the shield bashing stuff (animations, sounds etc.), the basic sword whacking leaves me cold. I wish they'd consider some day revamping some of the melee attack sounds a bit. To me, too many basically sound like somebody slapping a book against a desk edge - not very battle-like.  icon_razz

When I was attemping to tank yesterday, I realized just how big a difference AoC's "non clipping" of character models (character models don't pass through each other unless you "crouch-walk" is how I remember it) makes vs. most MMOs having character models that slip right through each other like they're ghosts. With the non-clipping, you can in theory have a "wall" of player tanks that the mobs can't physically pass through.

With character models gliding through each other like ghosts, that option's not there. I'm not saying it's worse, just different. And it took a while for me to remember I couldn't just stop something from reaching a squishy by getting between him/her and the onrushing hordes - well I should've remembered it the first time Goblins ran right through me.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »

A sour unraveling of a Great Barrows team last night with my new Guardian turned into a surprise, happy reunion with my old, mostly Australian Kinship, when I switched to my 44 Captain. It turned out they were about to tackle the Chapter that I could never get past (where Legolas the NPC aggroes everything in sight  disgust). I got a warm welcome, they were shocked to see me back.  icon_biggrin

With a L50 Guardian on team, and me trying desperately to remember the Captain's hotkeys (even worse, since they added 6-7 new Captain skills that I went ahead and picked up), we got through it.  icon_cool Some pics...

This isn't the "end boss," I used to get excited when my Fellowship would finish it, but it's not The End of the chapter.

Now, if you hadn't played your Captain since late 2007, how would you make sense of all those hotkeys?  icon_confused icon_razz
Below is her hotkey setup:

I'm never comfortable reaching for keys 6-zero on my keyboard, so I tend to throw potions and food there, and assign hotkeys to various letters my left hand can reach easily.

Finally getting to turn it in at the end.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:57:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

I just finished Book 14, which concludes the epic story in LOTRO, with the exception of some minor things that will happen in Book 15 to wrap everything together. Let me just say this: Holy crap! My jaw dropped to the floor during the final confrontation, and afterwards there was the first in-game cutscene I've seen in a MMORPG, and it was all kinds of awesome. I wish I could post screenshots, but they would be considered major spoilers, so I won't.

The story in LOTRO is indeed very epic. It's a shame that some people quit the game before they get to really involve themselves in it, as its main plot only begins once you hit level 50 and lasts for a long time after that. I've been telling a friend at work about the story as I've been playing through it, and he got really impressed even though he hates this kind of MMORPG. I'm sure he'll be excited to hear how it concluded. smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 07:20:33 PM »

I finished up Book 4 last night and also hit 42.  I continue to be in love with this game and it is good to hear the books only get better and better.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »

It took most of Saturday but I got my mothballed Captain to 45. I'm working on the special L45 quests that reward you with some pretty outstanding stuff, though it requires a certain amount of tedious hunting (nothing groan inducing like "kill 50 blah blah" though).

I'm definitely "re-hooked" at this point. We'll see if I can get her to 50 and be ready for the 50-60 content (I'm assuming there is some, with the level cap being lifted and all) in Moria.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:59:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »

One thing I must say...I've never had an easier time finding a pick-up group as I have over my last two weeks with my new character. A shout out on the LFF channel always nets a full group within 5 mins.

Speaking of the Epic storyline....the way some describe the content, I'm assuming as you continue to level up that more of your time is spent with the main story line than random questing.

I'm currently only level 23 and I'm just starting book 2.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Booner on September 08, 2008, 05:22:32 PM

Speaking of the Epic storyline....the way some describe the content, I'm assuming as you continue to level up that more of your time is spent with the main story line than random questing.

No, that's not the case. Before you hit level 50, you'll do the epic books as you hit their level requirements, but it won't be a major part of your questing. They'll earn you a level here and there, and their stories are shorter and more directly related to the original LOTR story (like finding out what happened to the Nazgul they didn't find after the events at the Ford of Bruinen). The epic story will become a major part of your gameplay once you get close to level 50.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »

Oh well. The epic stuff is just so well crafted that I wish there was more of it.

Gives me a good reason to continue other than just for the fun of it. smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »

Oh yeah, agreed. I think on my first stint I was often telling my Kinship-mates that. That I enjoyed the Epic/storyline stuff so much, but in certain level ranges where you'd have to wait 5-10 levels (realistically) before you could tackle the next epic stuff, I'd fall back into what felt like a rut of harvest this, harvest that, deliver this, deliver that.

Eventually, you can get the hang of grabbing overlapping hunt/harvest quests and reduce some of that tedium, but when you get to do a quest that's interesting and has some drama and suspense that really makes you feel like you're impacting Middle Earth, having to go back to being "Boaramir, King of the Boar Body Parts Harvesters" or "Wormamir, Queen of the Slimy Worm Parts Hoarders," it feels like a let down to me, at times.  disgust icon_razz

I know that realistically the game can't be wall-to-wall Epic/storyline quests. It has to have some form of meat-n-potatoes. I guess I'd just like a little bit more sprinkling of the Epics in the level ranges where you have to wait a good while before you can tackle one again.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:14:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2008, 03:08:26 AM »

I'm slooowly progressing on my Captain's L45 Implements of War quest, but figuring out some of the mob locations making me nuts.

Hey I saw they added a new graphical character Sig feature there for the forums, which you can use at some other forums (although pic sigs can get really out of hand some places):
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2191935#post2191935

The actual avatars for the sig are generic, but it does grab some of your crafting stats from the actual character.

Here's a few of mine for reference... (you can also use a Monster Play character, re the Warg here)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:19:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 04:23:34 AM »

Those are neat, but it seems a bit weird that they have your crafting levels and not your actual level or stats. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2008, 05:05:59 AM »

So I was having fun, and then I apparently made the aggregious mistake of doing a drive-by "buff", I think I put a 12-second Morale boost on some L47 hunter as I walked by. And he started frothing at the mouth, basically, about it halving his exp when someone does that. mad (that smiley about describes his attitude).

Is that really true? And why doesn't the game warn you in some way? I've certainly not seen anything in the skill descriptions that says "oh, never use this unless someone's on your fellowship cause you'll screw them over?" I didn't know if was more upset with this dimwit calling me names, or the game for not giving me the information to avoid inadvertently screwing other players over (I thought I was being a good citizen, nothing more). I'm used to my healer types in other games lobbing the occasional drive-by buff or heal just to be nice (never heard a complaint).

A sour ending to what had been a productive evening. I think I'm going to pull back away from the game for a while. I've started to get that "stay up too late to get one more quest done" feeling, and now the "getting too upset about things in the game" feeling, which was on top of being yelled at for my inability as Guardian to figure out which of two people I was supposed to listen to instructions from, the other night in the Great Barrows instance. I don't think I need this sort of crappy feeling from my games. icon_frown

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2008, 05:32:43 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 09, 2008, 05:05:59 AM

So I was having fun, and then I apparently made the aggregious mistake of doing a drive-by "buff", I think I put a 12-second Morale boost on some L47 hunter as I walked by. And he started frothing at the mouth, basically, about it halving his exp when someone does that. mad (that smiley about describes his attitude).

Meh, he's sort of right, but it doesn't matter. He was a total jerk anyway and doesn't deserve any sympathy. If you help someone out in combat, they *might* (I haven't actually checked if this happens every time) lose half the xp from that battle. Considering how little xp you earn from combat in this game, the difference it makes is pretty much impossible to notice. I don't think casting a buff has this effect on xp, but I'm not sure. Don't be afraid of buffing/healing someone if it looks like they're in over their heads. If they're not, leave them alone or wait until they're done fighting, at which point your buffs will do nothing but good. The 30-minute Captain buffs are ALWAYS appreciated by people who know what they're doing, so if someone yells at you for buffing them, add them to /ignore and know that at least you didn't encounter them during something important, like an instance.

/Ignore is your friend. Forgetting that is bound to aggravate you in the end.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

Bah...that sucks Blackjack. The buffee was a tool. So what if you buffed him? So what if he doesn't get quite the XP? It's not like they'll never recover whatever it is he may have lost out on.

Oh no!! An extra 1/2 hour of playtime (at most) in a MMO?!? The horror!  crybaby

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Booner on September 09, 2008, 11:27:33 AM

Bah...that sucks Blackjack. The buffee was a tool. So what if you buffed him? So what if he doesn't get quite the XP? It's not like they'll never recover whatever it is he may have lost out on.

Oh no!! An extra 1/2 hour of playtime (at most) in a MMO?!? The horror!  crybaby

1/2 hour? Make that 30 seconds of immediate loss, countered by 5 minutes saved over the next 30 minutes thanks to the buff.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 09, 2008, 05:05:59 AM

Is that really true? And why doesn't the game warn you in some way? I've certainly not seen anything in the skill descriptions that says "oh, never use this unless someone's on your fellowship cause you'll screw them over?" I didn't know if was more upset with this dimwit calling me names, or the game for not giving me the information to avoid inadvertently screwing other players over (I thought I was being a good citizen, nothing more). I'm used to my healer types in other games lobbing the occasional drive-by buff or heal just to be nice (never heard a complaint).

A sour ending to what had been a productive evening. I think I'm going to pull back away from the game for a while. I've started to get that "stay up too late to get one more quest done" feeling, and now the "getting too upset about things in the game" feeling, which was on top of being yelled at for my inability as Guardian to figure out which of two people I was supposed to listen to instructions from, the other night in the Great Barrows instance. I don't think I need this sort of crappy feeling from my games. icon_frown

That's kind of unusual.  One of the things I liked about LOTRO is the community - seemingly far fewer jerks than WoW per capita.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: