http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 12:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO - State of the game  (Read 50856 times)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:47:27 PM »

Well, as maybe one of you remembers I was in the closed beta for LOTRO.  While I enjoyed the time played and the story I felt the game itself needed a lot of work and wasn't prepared to sign up when it went retail.  Well thanks to a nice founder referral I'm back in and a lot has changed.  (Plus I'm trying to bring a little life back to Massive Multiplayer Madness)

Game world.  It's now bigger and at least at my levels has more quests.  There has been a mini expansion released already and lots of different items, weapons, armor, etc have been added.  I do understand that 30-40 can be a little rough solo but even that's been improved over a couple months ago and more is being added.

Program.  It runs a LOT better now.  I have a 7800GT, 2GB and x2 AMD and can run almost every option on very high or ultra high at 1680x1050.  It's beautiful and detailed and far better than before.  I've yet to have a crash and have only hung up once or twice.

Environment.  My major complaint with the outdoor areas was the lack of life.  Multitudes of foxes, rabbits, deer, snakes and birds have been added and it now looks like the forest has more than just trees smile

Players.  This is the most mature and helpful crowd of MMO players I've ever seen.  Yes, there are still the asshats with names like cluckme and billted but the vast majority have names that look like fantasy names, offer spots to share boss or signature kills and actually answer questions in the advice channel.

Interface.  The UI can finally be scaled.  This was a deal breaker for me at the end of beta because I could not see the buttons or read the text at 1680x1050.  Not only that but each individual piece of the UI can be scaled independently.  Now if they would just added adjustments to the font size and buffering in the quest tracker.

Problems:
1. I don't like not being able to pick my crafting professions individually.  I should be able to pick mining, scholar and tailor if I want and not pick a group of three that almost always has at least one I'm not interested in.  I also think certain ones should be available to everyone (like WoW) such as cooking and the soon to be released fishing.
2. I still don't understand the 5 character slots with 7 classes server restriction.  And if they do release another class in the first big retail expansion then the people with 5 level 50s are going to raise absolute hell.  As it is I've created 4 on one server and 2 on another for now.  I'll concentrate on one eventually but I like playing them all to find my style (looks like Loremaster followed by Hunter for now).  At least they didn't take the EQ2 route and only let you have x number total...here you can have 5 on every server.
3. Pet pathing is still horrible.  I have died at least once (and almost died two other times) because my raven took the long way around and brought friends.  They need to take the WoW route and make pets non aggro unless they are specifically attacking something at the time (many groups have wiped in WoW long ago when the hunter jumped to another level and the pet took the steps and brought 30 friends).

I think that's enough wall of text.  Any questions?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

Is it fun?
Seriously though...I tested it as well, and while I'm a Tolkien fan of long standing, the game felt dead and boring.
I wasn't a month into testing and I couldn't bring myself to log on anymore. Before testing I would have sworn black and blue any Lord of the Rings game done well would have me in spades. While the game felt like it was created lovingly and with expertise...it just lacked that certain "magic" that other new, well done MMORPG's have had for me.

I would love to kick my WoW habit, but I need a MMORPG to play. I'm not sure I could do Lotro again. But if what has changed has added a "living, breathing, world" feel to it......I might have to take another look.

Also, I don't like crafting, never have. I'm a gatherer in WoW(skinning, herbalism)thats the extent of my crafting play.
Does Lotro have something other than making stuff for gaining more money? Not just looting, I mean like gathering?

Thanks.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »

They do now offer a 7 day free trial, if you just wanted to see if some of those things had been improved to your liking. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »

Crafting...there is the explorer option that lets you gather wood and ore and both are good money makers.

To be honest I don't know what's different about it now.  It's not substantially different from beta.  Yes the weather works well and they added more deer/snakes/etc but it seems different to me.  Before I would play 30-45 mins and then quit to play WoW because I was bored.  Now I'm in the "just one more quest" mode and playing hours a night.  No idea if it will hold up for the long run but trying the free 7 day trial wouldn't be a bad idea at all.  And the lower $29 price and $10 a month pricing (if you find a founder to refer you) are both very nice.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »

I had fun in the beta for about 2 months but then got bored and stopped playing nearer the end. Its the same as Tabula Rosa..nothing special. Has the been there done that feel to it. Its only draw is it's setting and to me thats not enough. I was'nt impressed with the books. Much prefer RA Salvatore.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 02:19:22 AM »

I'm still playing a bit, but while I took a sabbatical my relatively large Kinship apparently disbanded.  crybaby

I loved the game (was in late beta and since launch), it's just after taking two characters fairly high (35 and 44), I felt like I'd done most of the content. I didn't quite enjoy the skills and abilities as much as I did the combat and power goodies in City of Heroes (which kept me playing there for years, even when I felt like I'd run through all the content), so the magic sort of wore off me for at that point in LOTORO. I hate to lose the Founder's monthly pricing ($9.99) but there isn't much point if I lose interest.

I'm hoping something like Hellgate or maybe Tabula Rasa (both of which are sometimes compared  in a derogatory way to COH, but that's like music to my ears smile) might hook me, in which case I'll probably bid adieu to this.

I guess nobody here is playing, but if anyone still does on Elendilmir server, I might game for a group sometime.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

From what I hear, they ruined the game with ABC as well.  One of the coolest features in the game (the music creation), now has people playing modern songs throughout the world.  So much for immersion.

"Let's go to the pub for a pint."
"Great Idea!  I'll buy the first round, and maybe we can dance to a nice Hobbit melody."
Time passes...
"So why aren't you dancing?"
"Cause that human has got Stairway to Heaven macroed, and he's played it 12 times in a row."
"And see that guy over there?"
"Yeah."
"He's played the same song from Quiet Riot 9 times in a row."
"Quiet who?"
"Exactly."

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:16:37 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2007, 02:39:00 AM

From what I hear, they ruined the game with ABC as well.  One of the coolest features in the game (the music creation), now has people playing modern songs throughout the world.  So much for immersion.

I never figured that the cool feature of being able to play your own music could so be terribly ruined like that. Oof.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »

I canceled a while back (bye, bye founder's pricing). I thoroughly enjoyed taking a couple characters through the game, but it was just feeling stale on my 3rd run through. Although different character types start off with some unique things, you eventually just get funneled through mostly identical content after a while.

While I enjoyed the emphasis on co-op to an extent, there is so much "forced grouping" in the game that it can get really frustrating towards the high end if you don't have luck finding other players. I guess my other observation is people forced themselves to team to get past something, but I saw little interest in teaming up again later (CoX seemed friendlier in that regard) in most people. It was sort of a lot of "one quest stands" like one night stands.  icon_razz Some of the high level group content (not raids per se, but other things) seemed impossible if you didn't have exactly the right combination of character types, and played it perfect -- I got a little tired of spending hours trying to complete things, to come up with a group face full of mud.  disgust

It's still the only more-traditional mmorpg that I've stuck with past the free month (I played from about late beta in April through a couple months ago regularly). I can't really say there was a certain moment when I lost interest in it, or that some other MMO attracted me (none did, and I'm out of MMOs altogether now), I just know on my third run-through (as a burglar hobbit) that despite some fresh Shire content, I just gradually lost interest. Still, in retrospect, it was quite a pleasant surprise I liked the game at all (traditional MMOs just don't hook me usually), much less that I stuck around 6 months. And I'd still give anything for Hellgate's chat interface to be half as configurable as LOTORO's.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:12:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 04, 2007, 02:09:33 PM

While I enjoyed the emphasis on co-op to an extent, there is so much "forced grouping" in the game that it can get really frustrating towards the high end if you don't have luck finding other players. I guess my other observation is people forced themselves to team to get past something, but I saw little interest in teaming up again later (CoX seemed friendlier in that regard) in most people.

I still can't believe in light of the 600 pound Night Elf that is WoW, that a MMO can not be solo friendly. I just don't understand it.

CoX is solo friendly (especially with about half the classes), but grouping tends to make the game that much more fun. Always was like that, too (IMHO). But you can solo pretty much from 1 to 50, maybe only grabbing another player when you face an Elite Boss.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:48:13 PM »

I really do play MMOs for the social aspect (I find little interest in co-op in Hellgate because it's almost all solo-able, but I still appreciate having chat channels to babble in). Other than CoX for some years (it felt like it was more and more difficult to find anyone interested in teaming the last year or so I played) I haven't found an MMO that dances well along the line between being solo-friendly and having enough group-focused content to be sociable without making you feel unable to progress when teammates aren't available. Most of what I've tried is one way or the other.

Other problem I've run into (other than CoX with its Mentoring/Sidekick stuff) is constricting players to playing with people at their same level. A lot of these games have people who can put in 12 times more time into the game, and they'll long have outleveled me (and thus any interest in playing with anymore from an Exp standpoint), thus rendering the social stuff moot. As in, "I"ll play with you while you're +/-2 levels from me, but once we're beyond that, you are dead to me."  Tongue

That was my problem in WoW for the brief time I played (though to be fair, that was shortly after launch and everybody but me was playing it something like 14 hours a day biggrin).

Anyway, certainly I like some ability to solo but if there's no compelling reason to ever team up at all, and everyone's too busy solo-grinding to notice, I tend to migrate back to offline games or single player RPGs, hack 'n slashes etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:51:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:05:31 PM »

I was in beta and stopped playing shortly after release.  I'm not quite sure why I lost interest.  I think it was due to a bunch of minor factors that added up to a big "meh".

The distances in the game seemed whacked.  It seems like it takes longer to cross Bree than it does to cover half the Shire.  I always envisioned the Shire as having these small towns with this vast open green country in between, but I couldn't walk for 2 minutes before hitting yet another hobbit-hole.  I shouldn't be able to stand at the edge of Bree and see Weathertop.  

The game had very much a "sameness" about it from zone to zone.  It made for great world continuity, but it made things a bit dull.  Not to mention the sameness in mobs...wolves...bears...bugs...birds...more wolves...a bird with bear...an undead with a wolf...a bigger wolf...

Another is the ease at which you could travel.  I could get my level 10 character to Rivendell with little problem.  At the time, that was really the final area.  It was beautiful, but once you got there it seemed like the game was, in a way, won.  "Hey, there's Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Gimli (on the mountain above) and Elrond.  Cool!  Now what?"  Somehow going to kill more bugs in the Shire didn't hold much interest anymore.  

To contrast, there really is no way for a level 10 character in WoW to get to see Blackrock Mountain without dying 20 times.  You can't get to Winterspring.  Un'Goro is an epic journey.  So due to the vast distances of space and the maps, those unexplored zones loom like spectres on the horizon.  I think LOTRO would have greatly benefitted from having some of the "danger zones" on the map, even if there's huge trolls in the area and the door to Moria is closed tight.  

I felt LOTRO to be very dry and humorless outside of the Shire.  The Shire has some great quests - pie eating, postman, etc.  But the Elf area seemed bleak and barren - exactly the opposite of what you would think the elf area should be (richly forested and beautiful).  Yes, I know there's lore to follow.  But there needs to be some humor in it too.  

Finally, I think LOTRO really lacked some epic quests at early levels that could be solo'ed.  There are some great quests, but they're all group instance quests.  Yes, they're fun, but everything else seemed like pure drudergy outside of those.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 04, 2007, 05:48:13 PM

Other problem I've run into (other than CoX with its Mentoring/Sidekick stuff) is constricting players to playing with people at their same level.

Agreed. That's one thing I LOVE about CoX - I can play with any character of any level (above or below). It just artificially 'adjusts' my level to somebody in the group, and I play away. It's something that desperately needs to be copied by every other MMO.

And when I betaed LotRO, I had the same complaint - the world is just too small. It was way too easy to get around, you could cross the entire world quickly, and it really felt like what you did didn't even attempt to adjust the world as a whole. That and the world never drew me in. Of course, for that matter, the books always put me to sleep, but that's a discussion for another time.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:39 PM »

Yes, EQ2 actually does a good bit at resolving a few of these issues.  They allow for mentoring down, which allows higher level characters to group with lower level ones.  And, they do have epic quests starting in the teens which give you nice quest rewards. 

One problem with these kinds of games is that it is starting to seem like the market is saturated.  I really only enjoy them if it is easy to find groups, and that seems to be fairly difficult in most of them these days.  Maybe Tabula Rasa is still new enough to have easy pick-up groups, but most of the older games are spread fairly thin these days.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »

I've renewed my subscription to LOTRO recently.  I got tired of WoW (again) and wanted to explore new lands.  I'll try to post my observations from time-to-time here. 

This weekend I had a pretty good time.  My new computer runs WoW very well and it's truly a beautiful game at high resolutions.  I get crashes every 4 hours or so, usually when I'm in town or shifting zones.  I'm not sure why.

I took my old level 15 toon and now have it at level 22.  I've soloed most of the way, but I have paired up with some folks for quests.  Most everyone has been nice and the early areas (like Bree) aren't overcrowded anymore.  The quests feel fairly generic and you spend an awful long time in a zone, so you can really begin to get sick of that place.  I'm already getting tired of the Lone-Lands.  Turbine may have crafted a more realistic world, but at times it's a much duller world too.  EQ2 had this very same issue.  The world still feels small, but they're releasing new areas to help it grow.  I think a new zone is coming out soon with Book 12.

I haven't seen any real instances yet and I think that's a mistake on Turbine's part.  It takes longer to level, so not having instances to break things up creates a bit of boredom from time to time.  Anyway, overall it's a thumbs-up.  Then again, I said that when the game was in beta and quickly grew tired of it, so we'll see...

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »

I saw the collector's addition of this game for $20 yesterday and I almost bought it. I tend to play MMORPGs for about 3 months before I get bored with them. The one thing that will keep me playing longer is solo-ability. So is this game solo friendly or after say lvl 15 do I need to constantly be grouped to have fun?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »

$20??

Man.. I dished out full price for this thing at launch.
Co-worker had me convinced that he is dropping WoW for Lotro...
It lasted us a whole month before he got bored, and my setup started to overheat while playing the game..

If some of the good GT folks are up for picking a server to play on, i would gladly hop back into this for a while since it was a fun game to me.
The new pc wont have any issues with the game.

Gonna eat your face
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on January 26, 2008, 07:26:49 PM

$20??

Man.. I dished out full price for this thing at launch.
Co-worker had me convinced that he is dropping WoW for Lotro...
It lasted us a whole month before he got bored, and my setup started to overheat while playing the game..

If some of the good GT folks are up for picking a server to play on, i would gladly hop back into this for a while since it was a fun game to me.
The new pc wont have any issues with the game.

I'm playing on the server that starts with an E.  Elemindir or somesuch. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 26, 2008, 06:14:26 PM

I saw the collector's addition of this game for $20 yesterday and I almost bought it. I tend to play MMORPGs for about 3 months before I get bored with them. The one thing that will keep me playing longer is solo-ability. So is this game solo friendly or after say lvl 15 do I need to constantly be grouped to have fun?
Although I canceled a while back (I had the pre-order Founder's Fee $9.99 monthly price but after not playing for 3 months, there didn't seem much point), I quite enjoyed a couple run throughs into the level 40s.

I guess I'm inclined to say that while there is a good bit of solo content in the game, many of the instances (varies depending on what type character you play) require groups (sometimes carefully configured, competent groups -- this is not a "rush-in and zap everything in sight" kind of game) and much of the game requires some sort of teamwork to survive. I don't really recommend it to anyone who wants to solo most or all of the time. But I dunno -- you should still try it. If you get wrapped up in the stories and environment, you might find yourself enjoying teaming up in spite of your own preferences. smile

Socially I enjoyed the heck out of the game, and I found the chat system and LFG system well designed. And I loved the "group maneuvers" (I forgot what they're called already). I did find that most groups were "one night stand" things. People teamed, the moment it was done, poof. Over in CoX I generally found people more interested in teaming up again later if the group went well. In LOTORO it was more "slam bam thank you maa'm" though perhaps that's because so much of the content is team-focused (i.e., they just wanted help cracking the walnut, and then it was off to the races).

While I'm currently more happy with the "whack a mole" nature of Tabula Rasa, there are times I miss the more strategic, deliberately paced combat in LOTORO.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:21:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »

Well i have just levelled 1-20 solo on my Hunter with virtually no grouping, it is now very soloable and Book 12 due in Feb is adding even more solo quests in as well.

The only time i group is for certain storyline quests the rest has not been a problem.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »

You should start coming upon more and more fellowship quests in the 20's. Some are just not possible to solo or do with two people - even when they turn green (damn you Return to Weathertop!). But I found when one area has quests that either turn to fellowship reccomended or are too high level you can find another area that will be just right and have plenty of solo quests.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

I could be tempted to return to LOTRO... I always felt like I didn't give the game enough time.

gellar
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »

I also could be tempted.. I've felt the lure of the MMO for a while, and returning to WoW does not interest me in the least.  I played LOTRO for the first month, and enjoyed it.. but missed the social aspect of WoW, as I didn't know many people playing. 

I could be persuaded to return if there were some GT'ers willing to start newbie, and go slow.

"Goonies never say die"
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 30, 2008, 10:39:52 PM

You should start coming upon more and more fellowship quests in the 20's. Some are just not possible to solo or do with two people - even when they turn green (damn you Return to Weathertop!). But I found when one area has quests that either turn to fellowship reccomended or are too high level you can find another area that will be just right and have plenty of solo quests.

Yeah i have read there will be more coming, but thankfully there are now a few zones with plenty of lvl 20-25 quests. Now the game is a fair few months old there are a few guides and help available to solve the problems of where to quest solo.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »

Well.. I decided to reinstall.. and I can't find my damn DVD.  I have the key, and manual.. but can't find the DVD.  Apparantly I can download the client, but without high rez textures, and cinematics.  Crappy.

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »

Alright, I'm gonna resub.  I'm downloading the hirez client, and it will probably take all night to patch.  Is there a GT fellowship?  What server?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:59:54 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »

I think I'm going to give this game another shot. I was in beta testing and grew bored of it then fairly fast. I'm sure mega improvements have transpired since then

Is the hi-res on the retail disc's you buy?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 12, 2008, 01:54:12 PM

I think I'm going to give this game another shot. I was in beta testing and grew bored of it then fairly fast. I'm sure mega improvements have transpired since then

Is the hi-res on the retail disc's you buy?

Yes, you simply select a checkbox.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 12:29:10 AM »

Alright, that's it.
I'm hoping back into this one for a bit.

WoW just pulled an FFXI on me..  I've spent the past 4 nights on LFG for ANY kind of an instance, with no luck..

Installing it tonight, so I should be running late night.

Are you guys on the server KD mentioned?

What classes did everybody roll?
(I'll fill the empty slot heals/tank/dps/buffs/whatever)

Gonna eat your face
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on February 13, 2008, 12:29:10 AM

Alright, that's it.
I'm hoping back into this one for a bit.

WoW just pulled an FFXI on me..  I've spent the past 4 nights on LFG for ANY kind of an instance, with no luck..

Installing it tonight, so I should be running late night.

Are you guys on the server KD mentioned?

What classes did everybody roll?
(I'll fill the empty slot heals/tank/dps/buffs/whatever)

I've got a bard but I'm mostly working on trade skills.  My hope is that I can outfit folks with stuff they need from the mats they provide. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »

How do you find out which servers you have characters on?
It doesn't seem to have any kind of a number next to the server indicating if I have characters there or not.

Gonna eat your face
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »

Brandywine is a very active server if that helps.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 01:06:55 PM »

Been in for a little over a week now, enjoying it alot. I have a 16 Minstrel and 8 Guardian. I much prefer the Minstrel style of play so far.
Just found Old Tom Bombadil and I'm working my way through Book 1.

I have it set to Ultra-High with DX-10 enabled. Other than some strange FPS spikes and dips, almost like a stutter-step, its running very well.
Great shadows and water effects.

What can I say about the community of LoTRo? It is so refreshing to be playing a MMO that has a subscriber base that have progressed past
e-peening and mud-slinging.
I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me, but LoTRo community is head and shoulders above most of the others out there.(especially you know who)

I can pay monthly for this game and feel like I'm not waisting my cash. WoW served me well for a couple of years but I mostly stayed on past that because there was nothing else.
Until the next "big one" LoTRo will suffice...More than likely it will remain my MMO of choice for some time yet.

Just a bit of emotional response to something. I've read most of the Tolkein books. Even a book of poetry by Tom Bombadill. So when I met old Tom, and then went in his house, it was
a great bit of gaming emotion for me. The music that started up as I looked around Tom's house set the mood perfectly.  Tom was always my favorite character in the books. I wish there was more written about him.
Isn't he someone you'd just loved to know and be called a friend of his?

Bah, now I'm getting all drippy...........anyway loving the game, so glad I tried it again after beta testing it.

Now, back to the woods........

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 01:30:49 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 18, 2008, 01:06:55 PM

I hadn't read the books (they put me to sleep), and the first time my gaming group and I came across him, we all got an entirely different feeling from him. And it made me want to stay as far away as humanly (or hobbitly) possible.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 18, 2008, 01:06:55 PM

Been in for a little over a week now, enjoying it alot. I have a 16 Minstrel and 8 Guardian. I much prefer the Minstrel style of play so far.
Just found Old Tom Bombadil and I'm working my way through Book 1.

I have it set to Ultra-High with DX-10 enabled. Other than some strange FPS spikes and dips, almost like a stutter-step, its running very well.
Great shadows and water effects.

What can I say about the community of LoTRo? It is so refreshing to be playing a MMO that has a subscriber base that have progressed past
e-peening and mud-slinging.
I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me, but LoTRo community is head and shoulders above most of the others out there.(especially you know who)

I can pay monthly for this game and feel like I'm not waisting my cash. WoW served me well for a couple of years but I mostly stayed on past that because there was nothing else.
Until the next "big one" LoTRo will suffice...More than likely it will remain my MMO of choice for some time yet.

Just a bit of emotional response to something. I've read most of the Tolkein books. Even a book of poetry by Tom Bombadill. So when I met old Tom, and then went in his house, it was
a great bit of gaming emotion for me. The music that started up as I looked around Tom's house set the mood perfectly.  Tom was always my favorite character in the books. I wish there was more written about him.

Bah, now I'm getting all drippy...........anyway loving the game, so glad I tried it again after beta testing it.

Now, back to the woods........

This is a pretty fair assessment and I'd generally agree with the above, especially the part about the community (even if I'm not part of a kinship).

With LOTRO, it's sometimes easier to talk about what it doesn't have.  It's a bit strange, but I think the restrictions of the Tolkien story actually hurts LOTRO from time to time.  They just can't break out of the world created by Tolkien without alienating the player base.  As such, it's a bit repetitive - I'm up to level 26 and I have yet to take part in any great quest-lines.  The series of Book 1 quests weren't that great, especially after the "mini-instance" when starting the game.  I haven't seen a good dungeon or instance yet.  Every quest ends up being "kill x number of orcs, spiders, wolves or bears".  The landscape, while beautiful, is also very much "more of the same".  As a result, the game can get downright boring.  

Now this is a generalization and there are exceptions.  The Shire quests, for example, have a great feel to them.  But you can't help but be disappointed when you climb to the top of Weathertop and find nothing but a few birds.  Or you essentially repeat the same quest about 10 times in the Lone-Lands.  More quest variety would really help - I want to defend a village against a host of orcs, not go and kill 10 goblins at the nearest camp.  I want to solve a murder, not kill more birds (and what's the deal with the aggro range on those SOBs?).  I really don't care about Frodo, Strider or Gandalf - this is supposed to be my adventure.  

I think part of the problem is the world feels small.  It's not really small - it's actually pretty large - but where are the "deep places of the Earth"?  Why can't I go see Isengard?  Mordor?  The Lonely Mountain?  The Gray Havens?  Heck, where are Bilbo's trolls?  I know they're coming, but even at level 26 I feel constricted.  But because the Shire and the surrounding lands were well-insulated due to the efforts of the Rangers, perhaps that's why we don't get great quests with a lot of variety.  I'm hopeful that things will pick up, but I really have only 4 zones I haven't seen: Angmar, Trollshaws, Misty Mountains and Evendim.  That doesn't seem like a big world when I've seen more than 1/2 of it at level 26.

Now someone reading this may think I hate LOTRO.  I don't - in fact, it does a lot well.  The game is beautiful.  The player-base very friendly.  I love the crafting.  And, from many accounts, the game really starts to pick up steam at around my level.  I'm about to take on Chapter 2 quests - and Chapter 12 just came out.  Player housing is something I've always wanted and I have almost enough gold to consider getting my own home.  As such, I'm still plugging away at it...I just wish Turbine would get a little more imaginative with some of these zones and quests. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:59:39 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »

Yeah, I agree the work with LoTRo is far from done. But what they got right, they really got right.

The fact that they are staying 'true' to Tolkien's world will have its pluses and minuses thats for sure.
But if they know that and are happy with just appealing to a segment of the MMO subscribers I'm fine with that.

Trying to do something for everyone can backfire. You can end up with a watered down world that tries to please everyone and in the end pleases no one.

Didn't Lincoln say something to that effec?   slywink

Niche market game? Maybe. But for those of us who felt Tolkein and his comtemporary CS Lewis are the two best fantasy authors ever...This game is doing it right!

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 03:05:09 AM »

So I made a stubby little Dwarven Champion on the Eleyemelenitilimsomething server.

I forgot how much prettier this game looked compared to that other mmo.

Took up weaponsmith, but not a single ore node in sight. (maybe i need to move out of this lv 8 area?)
I have made Man characters every time, so this was a bit confusing to start out in a completely different area.

At any rate, I will be slowly trudging along quest by quest, and if anybody else is on this "E" server, send a friend request to Warshaper and we can pummel the forces of evil with butt kicking goodness!

Gonna eat your face
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »

The dwarf/elf area never had a lot of ore in it.  Try Hobbiton - it sprouts all over the place there.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 21, 2008, 12:14:53 PM

The dwarf/elf area never had a lot of ore in it.  Try Hobbiton - it sprouts all over the place there.

Agreed. I was working the Greenway Road on the way to North Downs, what a ton of Silver,tin, copper, and Barrow Iron there is in that area. Branches of various kinds as well.
Another great area for the beginner explorer is the Marshes just outside Bree.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »

I hadn't visited the forums in a while for this, this fan's parody is pretty funny smile (note: it uses a few embedded images of humongous size so you may need to give it a little time to finish loading them).

If Turbine wrote Lord of the Rings instead of J.R.R. Tolken  icon_lol
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=1545763#post1545763

It might easier to visit the fan's Web page for it:
http://www.whatthehelliswrongwithyoupeople.com/lotro/TLOTROC.htm

I can attest from failing the Epic quest repeatedly where Legolas constantly gets his arse in trouble that he truly does something too much, though I don't know what "DF" means.  saywhat
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:37:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: