http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:08:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotRO goes Free to PLay  (Read 13732 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

Nice one Raz.  I might pop my head back in.  It's something to do while I wait for Guild Wars 2. slywink

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 08, 2010, 07:47:17 PM

Nice one Raz.  I might pop my head back in.  It's something to do while I wait for Guild Wars 2. slywink

Please do - Reemul is here as well :-)

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

Bah.  I can't remember what server I played on before.  Now I have to create a new character from scratch!  Meeeehhhhhhhhhhh.

Eve Online is offering me five days' free play....

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »

Well, the rest of us started over at the new server, Wythwindle or somesuch, so - if you want to join us, you'd have to start over

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »

Well, after downloading 10 GB of stuff I'll be damned if I'm not going to play it now!  I'll make a hunter I think.  I'll give you a shout later Raz. thumbsup

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 09, 2010, 08:03:27 PM

Well, after downloading 10 GB of stuff I'll be damned if I'm not going to play it now!  I'll make a hunter I think.  I'll give you a shout later Raz. thumbsup

awesome - I'm on Falco mostly

A new one
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:21 PM »

A couple good deals today only:

50% off both expansion packs: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostorefeatured
1,111 points for $11.11: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostorepointpromo

The Moria expansion comes with the two new classes Warden/Runekeeper. I do have to say I'm having a hell of lot of fun playing the Runekeeper. Its like the best of both worlds (damage/healing) rolled in to one. Haven't even touched the Moria content yet.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »

I haven't played since the beta, but I'm wanting to get back in now that it's F2P. I'm wondering what classes have some healing and also half decent melee &/or ranged ability? I remember back in the beta that the Minstrel was the primary healer, but they were also a bit too squishy for my liking. For anyone here who also plays DDO, I play a War-Bard in it and that's about my ideal of a healer-melee balanced toon.

If it makes any difference, I'm almost certain I'll never go VIP , but I'll probably end up with a premium account. If the LotRO pricing model is like DDO, I'm comfortable with the idea of leveling up as far as I can and then strategically buying what's required to advance. I doubt I really want to grind a toon to level 5 on every server though just for the sake of a bit of extra TP. slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2010, 10:34:23 PM

I haven't played since the beta, but I'm wanting to get back in now that it's F2P. I'm wondering what classes have some healing and also half decent melee &/or ranged ability? I remember back in the beta that the Minstrel was the primary healer, but they were also a bit too squishy for my liking. For anyone here who also plays DDO, I play a War-Bard in it and that's about my ideal of a healer-melee balanced toon.

If it makes any difference, I'm almost certain I'll never go VIP , but I'll probably end up with a premium account. If the LotRO pricing model is like DDO, I'm comfortable with the idea of leveling up as far as I can and then strategically buying what's required to advance. I doubt I really want to grind a toon to level 5 on every server though just for the sake of a bit of extra TP. slywink

Sounds like you might want to play a Captain. Their concept is to be at the front of any melee engagement, slashing away with their halberd while motivating (read: healing and buffing) their allies, particularly when enemies fall. They're a secondary healer but can take on the primary healer role if you specialize them. They can also work nicely as tanks. They are an exceptionally good solo class, though some will say it's too slow for their tastes due to their low DPS (which was increased when F2P was launched). I don't think there's any other class in LOTRO that has as high survivability as a captain. You'll almost never die. You'll pretty much never be denied a spot in a fellowship.

My main is a captain, and I love the class. It fits my style perfectly.

They don't have any ranged worth speaking of though.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2010, 11:37:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 16, 2010, 11:07:27 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2010, 10:34:23 PM

Sounds like you might want to play a Captain. Their concept is to be at the front of any melee engagement, slashing away with their halberd while motivating (read: healing and buffing) their allies, particularly when enemies fall. They're a secondary healer but can take on the primary healer role if you specialize them. They can also work nicely as tanks. They are an exceptionally good solo class, though some will say it's too slow for their tastes due to their low DPS (which was increased when F2P was launched). I don't think there's any other class in LOTRO that has as high survivability as a captain. You'll almost never die. You'll pretty much never be denied a spot in a fellowship.

My main is a captain, and I love the class. It fits my style perfectly.

They don't have any ranged worth speaking of though.

Yup, I'd read some good things about the Captain class and thought that might be a possibility. What race is best for a Captain?

[Edit]Oh wait...I think I remembered...aren't Captains restricted to the Human race?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:47:53 PM by kronovan » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2010, 07:01:20 AM »

yeah, captains can only be humans

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »

Massive update out for LOTRO!

There are some *really* cool changes here, most importantly for me at least, the crafting system has undergone an overhaul, with new stuff, streamlining it a bit, and a new UI that allows you to see more on the screen.

Update notes to be found here: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release_Notes_November_2010_Update_Official

Edit: The patch is out the 29th for the US, and a few days later for EU
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:11:55 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »

So the massive update was added to the game the other day. If you are a F2P person Lowlands is now free for all so you can quest up to about 34-35 level range. There's some nice improvements to the bank to allow easier sorting of items. They added a bunch of items to the various factions where they had little to offer before (e.g horses/weapons/armor/etc). And to help gain faction and fill out those quest leveling gaps they added random daily quests.

They also have a promotion going on the entire month where one new store item each day will be 50% off. http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoreonedaysale
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »

Some good 50% dealies the next 7 days: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostorefeatured/913-lotro-store-daily-deals

Highlights:

Wed - 50% off removing Currency Cap
Thur - 50% North Downs quest pack
Sun - 50% Evendim quest pack
Mon(next) - 50% off Inventory bags

North Downs and Everdim should compliment each other well for the post Lone Lands (L25-L30) crowd. We purchased the Everdim pack awhile back when it was 20% off and had a lot of fun there. It's well laid out and looks great. There's an odd leveling gap in there around L32 where quests dry up but then they pick up again around L34 and really hit their stride where there are a large amount of quests offered in the same general area. Another bonus if you're a prospector/miner is the entire zone has huge deposits of Rich Iron/Gold.

I remember hating North Downs when the game first came out. Back then it took forever to get your horse so even at L30 you were running around without one. It just took forever to do any questing in that zone.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

It's Evendim, sir, not Everdim. You make it sound so bleak. slywink

North Downs was always one of my favorite zones. It's huge and varied, with lots to do and plenty of freedom to go wherever you like without being funneled through barely masqueraded tunnels. It also features many of the important elements of LOTR: Elves, dwarves, men and rangers all have their own separate camps there. Orcs are present in large numbers. You've got grasslands, hills, mountains, valleys, a huge lake, and even the necropolis of Fornost, the seat of the king in the old days. The epic quest in the region has you trying to convince the various races to prepare for war against the orcs swarming out of Angmar, and you can do this in any order you like.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 13, 2010, 07:00:51 PM

Some good 50% dealies the next 7 days: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostorefeatured/913-lotro-store-daily-deals

Highlights:

Wed - 50% off removing Currency Cap
Thur - 50% North Downs quest pack
Sun - 50% Evendim quest pack
Mon(next) - 50% off Inventory bags

North Downs and Everdim should compliment each other well for the post Lone Lands (L25-L30) crowd. We purchased the Everdim pack awhile back when it was 20% off and had a lot of fun there. It's well laid out and looks great. There's an odd leveling gap in there around L32 where quests dry up but then they pick up again around L34 and really hit their stride where there are a large amount of quests offered in the same general area. Another bonus if you're a prospector/miner is the entire zone has huge deposits of Rich Iron/Gold.

I remember hating North Downs when the game first came out. Back then it took forever to get your horse so even at L30 you were running around without one. It just took forever to do any questing in that zone.

Figures, I just bought Everswim on my F2P account on Saturday. Oh well it was only about $6 in real currency. Well worth the several hours of entertainment I will get out of it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »

After putting about 8 hours into this, I've decided it just doesn't do it for me. I hadn't played since beta and I really did enjoy the world again and the quests with decent stories - IMO the quests are better than 90% of the MMORPG's out there. I did like the Captain class, but the limited character matrix is just too simple for me. I need something more that just gaining traits; i.e. need abilities, skills, feats, etc. When I realized I had to pay to unlock the 3rd class trait, it was the final straw. Not to mention my son -who I've played DDO, Runes of Magic and Megaten online with for many hours- isn't really interested despite being a fan of Tolkien. Fraid if I'm going to do MMO it's going to be DDO with it's excellent character building.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:58 AM »

The traits really arre not going to factor in to much of anything at that level. At L40 we still only have 2 virtue/race trait slots open and its barely effected us. We did open up the class ones which had some significant bonuses. You can earn points (5/10/15/20) for completing deeds in areas and there are plenty of deeds to complete in the free to play areas. So with a little work you don't have to pay anything to open up new slots.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

LOTRO has started this daily lottory thing that's turned out to be pretty good. I've already won it several times on various characters. Lottories happen hourly and are easy to join.

Just go to my.lotro.com and login. Then click on "more widgets" and select Lottory. You can then go in to the widget and see all the lottories. Just have to click on which characters you want to join the lottories and you're in. Check back in an hour to see if you won and also join others. Prizes range from various items, mounts, silver and what not.

Also today Virtue/Class/Race are 20% off today if you were holding off on spending any points unlocking them.

Finally they brought back the double-points package bonuses which are pretty good deals. Especially if you are F2P as any purchase of points will upgrade your account to Premium (1 additonal character slot and 5gp gold cap).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 22, 2010, 04:00:58 AM

The traits really arre not going to factor in to much of anything at that level. At L40 we still only have 2 virtue/race trait slots open and its barely effected us. We did open up the class ones which had some significant bonuses. You can earn points (5/10/15/20) for completing deeds in areas and there are plenty of deeds to complete in the free to play areas. So with a little work you don't have to pay anything to open up new slots.

One of my trait slots that's no longer grayed out -believe it's 1 of the virtue ones- states that I can unlock it by purchasing it. I took that to mean that it could be unlocked with TP's. I think I just have to face the fact that much of what I like about RPG's is the planning and stat crunching of complex character creation. The 2 MMORPG's (Anarchy Online and DDO) I've enjoyed the most featured complex character creation and evolution. I know most fans of these games don't particularly want that -attested to by the massive success of WoW- but it's what I'm really looking for.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »

Apparently Turbine's revenue has tripled since LOTRO went free to play.  Amazing.

Steam profile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 08, 2011, 01:11:10 AM

Apparently Turbine's revenue has tripled since LOTRO went free to play.  Amazing.

Yup, Turbine seem to be real masters at the F2P game. No doubt a lot of it has to do with being in the MMO biz for more than a decade and haven't had lots of time to cut their teeth. I wish they adopt a more true F2P model such as Aeria Games' where you really can advance to the highest level without spending a $. Can't argue with it much though, F2P is still in it's infancy and still carries a lot of risk. So far Turbine has come up with a winning formula twice.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

if you're going to PAX East you can score a free in-game horse by visiting the Turbine booth.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2011, 05:32:58 PM

if you're going to PAX East you can score a free in-game horse by visiting the Turbine booth.

If anyone scores one of those and doesn't need it please let me have it. I collect the horses in game and there's no way I can make it to PAX.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »

new dev diary on Radiance removal.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 15, 2011, 05:29:01 PM

new dev diary on Radiance removal.

I can't say that I will miss it. But I didn't hate it either. If you wanted radiance it wasn't that tough to get.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »

This week (02/18/11-02/24/11)  they're having a decent sale in the LOTRO Store.    The Moria expansion and Mirkwood quests are 20% off.

If you don't already have Mines of Moria,  here's what's included in the Moria Expansion:
Delve into the dangerous depths of Moria, and try to reclaim its dark halls from the evil burrowed within. "Khazad-dŻm"- Dwarves whisper its name in awe and sorrow. Once the greatest of their halls, it is a vast city of wonders lost to the ages. Here the dwarves mined for mithril, most prized of metals. But they delved too deep, and awoke the Balrog known as Durin's Bane. Moria's treasures are long since abandoned... but not empty. Orcs throng here in vast numbers, and cave-trolls, and nameless horrors that lurk in the fathomless dark.
INCLUDES: Moria Expansion Quests, 2 Character Slots, Rune-keeper, Warden & Skirmish Trait Max Rank 15
INSTANCES/RAIDS: Over 360 Quests, plus seven instances and the Vile Maw raid
NOTABLE TREASURE: Legendary Items
STORE LOCATION: Premium Items > Quests & Content > Expansions
LEVEL: 51-60   

The Moria expansion pack is normally 2,495 turbine points, but this week is only 1,996.  There's also a separate sale on just the Moria expansion quests themselves,  but they're included in the Moria expansion.

Moria is pretty awesome, and is easily one of the best environments I've ever seen in a MMO.

The Siege of Mirkwood Expansion quests include:
Mirkwood - Once it was Greenwood the Great, and men and Elves lived in peace beneath its boughs - until the Necromancerís Tower arose, waking evil in the forestís heart. Now madness thickens the forest air. The green, growing things of ages past are twisted by the evil of Dol Guldur, the impenetrable fortress of the Ringwraiths, whose black shadows fill every hollow and drowns every hill. Join the elves of Lothlorien in battle against Sauron among the ancient ruins, spider-haunted canyons, and foul bogs of Mirkwood.
Click here to read the Mirkwood Developer Diary and here to check out The Randir's Guide to Mirkwood!
INSTANCES/RAIDS: Over 150 quests, three 3-person instances (Dungeons of Dol Guldur, Sword-hall of Dol Guldur, Warg-pens of Dol Guldur), one full fellowship instance (Sammath Gul), and one 12-person raid (Barad Guldur) in 8 distinct sub-regions
POINTS OF INTEREST: Mirk-Eaves, Dourstocks, Drownholt, Emyn LŻm, Scuttledells, Taur Morvith, Ashenslades, Gathburz, Dol Guldur & many, many more!
NOTABLE TREASURE: Level 61-65 Legendary Items
STORE LOCATION: Premium Items > Quests & Content > Quest Packs

The Mirkwood expansion quests  normally cost 995 turbine points, but are on sale this week for 796.    This is just the quests, and honestly I'm not sure if you need to purchase anything else in order to used them.   

Also on Tuesday (02/22/11) the LOTRO store is having a one day sale and additional character slots are 50% off.   Extra character slots are normally 595 turbine points, but will be 298 points on Tuesday.   I'm planning on taking advantage of this one so I can add a Loremaster to my characters.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2011, 03:00:28 AM »

Started a couple new characters after picking up two more character slots.   Turbine has completely reworked the introductory quests, making the stories quite a bit more streamlined and helping the player feel more like part of the  book.  Ered Luin, the Dwarf starting area has undergone a really noticeable change to reflect the dourhand's  corruption.   

They also changed the Loremaster class quite a bit,  making them a lot more soloable  and allowing you to customize your pet.  Instead of having just a wee, little, generic bear,  you can now have a giant-sized Black, Polar, or Wildpaw (Grizly) bear.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

European players rejoice!  Turbine is taking back control as of June 1st.  I think June 6th would have ben more fitting though  icon_wink

important note if you're doing auctions:

20. What will happen to any auctions/bids I have in progress at the time of the transition?

We encourage all European players to schedule their auctions to expire prior to June 1, 2011. Due to the nature of the transition we cannot guarantee these items will be available after the transfer.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »

If I were still playing I'd be very pleased with that.  It really pissed me off that I had to use two separate account management systems to play the game.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Steam profile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

There's no official RP server in America for LOTRO, is there? With this transfer, if the European servers become available for US players, you'd suddenly have access to a real RP server. smile
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »

Does this mean there will be more Europeans on the mostly North American Servers?   I play on Arkenstone, and while having a mostly English speaking US/Canadian population,  there are several Spanish language Kins, as well as some French speakers out of Quebec and a couple of Australian Kins.

As far as RP Servers go,  I think Landroval is the unofficial RP Server.   I started a couple characters on it last year, but abandoned them because the server was just too crowded for me.  I'm not sure what the status is now.   I do see quite a few RP'ers on Arkenstone.  (Recognizable by their character name being in white instead of yellow)
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 26, 2011, 05:49:09 PM

There's no official RP server in America for LOTRO, is there? With this transfer, if the European servers become available for US players, you'd suddenly have access to a real RP server. smile

How is the RP server different?

Ale
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on April 26, 2011, 10:42:58 PM

Ale

An awful lot of people just hanging around inside the Prancing Pony, totally destroying your frame rate while they have private discussions.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

Ale

It enforces certain rules (at least in theory. It has slipped a little since the early days). Among these are naming conventions (if your name isn't appropriate to the setting, you must choose another one) and a requirement to never be out of character in public (ie. when talking with the Say command).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »

Quote from: Flatlander on April 26, 2011, 06:38:42 PM

Does this mean there will be more Europeans on the mostly North American Servers?   I play on Arkenstone, and while having a mostly English speaking US/Canadian population,  there are several Spanish language Kins, as well as some French speakers out of Quebec and a couple of Australian Kins.

No, the servers will transfer over so people will probably stay on their servers.

Nice move - It will be good to have patches and the like at the time they are released.

A new one
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 26, 2011, 11:42:14 PM

Ale

It enforces certain rules (at least in theory. It has slipped a little since the early days). Among these are naming conventions (if your name isn't appropriate to the setting, you must choose another one) and a requirement to never be out of character in public (ie. when talking with the Say command).

Wow, that last one seems like it'd be tough to enforce. Do they rely on other people reporting it?

Ale
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on April 27, 2011, 06:43:11 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 26, 2011, 11:42:14 PM

Ale

Wow, that last one seems like it'd be tough to enforce. Do they rely on other people reporting it?

Ale

Yes. It wasn't a problem during the first year or so after the game was released, as the community policed itself and worked very well. As far as I can tell, things have slipped a bit since, and Codemasters haven't been very adamant about enforcing the rules lately. It used to be that I could report someone for having a stupid or offensive name (like swearwords in non-English languages, or recognizable names from other settings), and they'd have it changed the day after.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »

Having the option to play on a RP server might get me playing the game again. It wasn't too bad on the server I playeed on, but there was a fair share of pizza dude talk.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PM by kronovan » Logged
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »

anyone still in to this? I am reinstalling now. VIP member, due to my lifetime sub....not that I realy know what that means.

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: