http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 04:31:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotRO goes Free to PLay  (Read 13385 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »

So despite having the client installed from a few months ago, it did not work.  I had to uninstall and then redownload the 10+ GB high res texture install.  Since then, my network connectino has been going nonstop, the pando media booster software is doing something but I have no clue what.  Does the install not contain everything?  Is it downloading more stuff?

Created a hunter, got her to level 10.  May play around a bit with a captain and a champion to level 10 as well to see what I want to play most.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »

The new UI plugins feature sounds like good stuff, long overdue:
http://www.massively.com/2010/09/17/the-road-to-mordor-pippins-top-five-plugins/

I haven't played in months. I figured I'd wait until the F2P change hulabaloo died down a bit before I tried to log back in.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 22, 2010, 05:59:56 PM

The new UI plugins feature sounds like good stuff, long overdue:
http://www.massively.com/2010/09/17/the-road-to-mordor-pippins-top-five-plugins/

I haven't played in months. I figured I'd wait until the F2P change hulabaloo died down a bit before I tried to log back in.
it's nice. be sure to use the plugin manager
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 13, 2010, 12:36:43 PM

So despite having the client installed from a few months ago, it did not work.  I had to uninstall and then redownload the 10+ GB high res texture install.  Since then, my network connectino has been going nonstop, the pando media booster software is doing something but I have no clue what.  Does the install not contain everything?  Is it downloading more stuff?

Created a hunter, got her to level 10.  May play around a bit with a captain and a champion to level 10 as well to see what I want to play most.

PMB acts as a P2P. Once its done downloading it continues to upload to others. You can close and uninstall it after you download without any problems.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »

Returning player with a few questions for a premium account holder:

- Realistically around what level does content start drying up for free account holders? It looks like there are some early level zone packs for purchase. But would I actually be able to get to L40 mainly via quests and without having to grind?

- What, if any, are must have purchases from the store for free account holders?

Its a bit overwhelming since the last time i played this game was like two years ago. I do have the Mines of Moria expansion but not the other Mirkwood one which I understand doesn't come in to play until later. I'm assuming once I hit a certain level content is going to start drying up until I hit the expansion levels.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »

I think the free content stops somewhere around 20-25 as far as quests go.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:03 AM »

Quote from: Koz on October 08, 2010, 06:25:49 PM

I think the free content stops somewhere around 20-25 as far as quests go.

Yeah,  that is correct. North Downs and Lone Lands are the areas to go to in that range and you have to unlock those quest packs with turbine points if you are F2P. You can still do the Epic quests, but as you probably know, those are only a tiny portion of the quests available.

As far as must haves, trait slots and riding skill is the only thing you really (imho) need to purchase with your turbine points initially. But unfortunately there are not enough points (even if you focus on getting every possible deed done at lower levels) to be able do that when they are available.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2010, 12:38:45 AM »

Just a heads up. The riding skill is 75% off for a "limited time". So it costs 49 points. They're also doubling the bonus points you get on the $50 points purchase (so 6,900 points total) which would net both expansion packs and some other stuff.

Riding skill dealie + other items on sale info: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/834-on-sale-in-the-lotro-store
Points dealie: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/852-lotro-store-point-promo

The riding skill deal was timely for me. Created two new character classes I wanted to play and used that deal. I did notice that you had to first get the ability to recall home before you could purchase the riding skill for the character.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2010, 06:29:10 AM »

I've got this wierd MMO itch lately (odd, because I generally hate the genre), but paying $15/month with as little gaming time as I have makes me want to puke.  Going to give this LOTRO F2P thing a shot, just for kicks.  Downloading now...we'll see how it goes.

I've seen a couple servers mentioned in different threads...where's the best place to get on to play with GT'ers?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2010, 06:29:10 AM

I've got this wierd MMO itch lately (odd, because I generally hate the genre), but paying $15/month with as little gaming time as I have makes me want to puke.  Going to give this LOTRO F2P thing a shot, just for kicks.  Downloading now...we'll see how it goes.

I've seen a couple servers mentioned in different threads...where's the best place to get on to play with GT'ers?

Judging by that other thread, most GT'ers seem to be on Elendilmir.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »

Get Lord of the Rings Online quest packs super-cheap for one day only

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/12/get-lord-of-the-rings-online-quest-packs-super-cheap-for-one-day/#comments

Are you one of the many people enjoying the new free-to-play model for Lord of the Rings Online? Have you got a couple quest packs to pick up, or have you just been waiting for a sale or a specific need to purchase anything from the game's store? You're in luck then, because for October 13th Turbine is letting the Lone-Lands, North Downs, and Evendim be sold for a song -- specifically, they're being pegged at 75% off.

Not only does this mean that all three packs can be picked up for a grand total of $6.50 based off the most recent pricing (and there's a bonus point sale going on this week, to boot), each of the packs contain enough "free" Turbine Points to make back the cost of each. That means that for less than seven dollars, you can walk away with all three quest packs, and after clearing them you'll be back up to where you started in money. Lord of the Rings Online players are encouraged to take a look, but the sale only lasts until midnight of the 13th.

Read more: http://boards.ign.com/pc_general_board/b5027/196654654/r196654654/?statusId=PostTopicSuccess#ixzz12CCGAYIn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »

Dang. Missed that dealie.

Is there any way to purchase store items outside of the game or is it just in-game only?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »

The fall festival starts today. It actually sounds really cool since they have added a haunted hobbit cellar. I am so getting this mount too V.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »

That horse looks cool. Do you have to buy it or is it something you can win from one of the holiday quests?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

You can win it by doing quests that give a horse token. Every seasonal festival has a variety of mounts that players can exchange tokens for. The good thing about it is that you can be just about any level to participate in the quests.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »

I think you can only use that horse in a limited part of the map (thank god! Talk about immersion breaker), and it's super rare.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 20, 2010, 07:16:36 AM

I think you can only use that horse in a limited part of the map (thank god! Talk about immersion breaker), and it's super rare.

OK so after playing last night I think you're right. Apparently there is a chest in the basement of the cellar that drops it, but your chance of getting it to drop is low, and you can only loot the chest once per 24 hrs. So if you want it you have to hit the chest everyday and cross your fingers. Not sure about the limited range on use though.

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »

What times are people logging on to Elendlmir? Wouldn't mind playing with others, that I sort of know, but am hesitant to start a new character if I will be in the same boat as on Windfola.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »

Another good deal. The Lone Lands quest pack is on sale 86% at 50 points. It's unclear if this is a temp price drop or a permanent one.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 30, 2010, 12:09:14 AM

Another good deal. The Lone Lands quest pack is on sale 86% at 50 points. It's unclear if this is a temp price drop or a permanent one.

*clik*

Too cheap, can't resist.

This is one of those that I keep installed, and I pick it up and putter with it every once in a while. Lone lands is really the first quest area you hit after the initial area... 50 pts is nothing... they GIVE you more than that, in deed rewards, etc. I've actually run a character out of quests (he's 20, and I could probably hunt around and find a few more that I missed, I think).

Only thing that's truly truly limiting atm, is the 2 character slots per server. You can buy more, but they're fairly expensive... 495 pts? more? something like that. Out of the range of the free points they hand out atm, anyways.

Haven't had issue with the money limits yet.

Atomic
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »

If you purchase Mines of Moria it comes with the 2 extra character slots and the two new classes with the L50 zones. But its a bit pricey in the online store (2500 points) if you don't have any characters close to 50. Maybe some Black Friday and X-mas deals in the near future.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2010, 08:12:07 AM »

Opening tomorrow for Europe - will be interesting to say the least after all this time, and will probablly have me back playing the game now...

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »

About fucking time! It took them nearly two months.

Still looking forward to trying it out, but my expectations have been lowered by the way this was all handled. At least we'll probably get the november patch at the normal time, which means we get two patches in quick succession.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »

Yeah, its been a bit of a clusterfuck, but latest word is that it was contractual issues, and my guess is that Turbine wanted their game back to gain revenue increase.

I guess we'll see how well they will handle everything the next few months, but yeah, I'm considering signing up for the US servers as well, something I'd have done long ago, if I didnt have lifetime sub.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »

So, this was finally released in Europe yesterday, almost two months late. Took them quite some time to update the servers too. Mine wasn't open until 10 in the evening.

Still, once I got in it was fun. Didn't get to play much, but I did upgrade my legendary items again, as well as upgrading my skirmish soldier (got all his ranks to 18, 19 or 20. He's awesome), and I did start the new book quests, getting all the way through the first session play instance, which was fun but a bit easy. Bought two vault upgrades and an upgrade to my shared storage in the LOTRO store with my free points, and I've still got about 900 left.

Looking forward to playing some more when I get time, which probably won't be until the weekend.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2010, 11:58:35 AM

So, this was finally released in Europe yesterday, almost two months late. Took them quite some time to update the servers too. Mine wasn't open until 10 in the evening.

Still, once I got in it was fun. Didn't get to play much, but I did upgrade my legendary items again, as well as upgrading my skirmish soldier (got all his ranks to 18, 19 or 20. He's awesome), and I did start the new book quests, getting all the way through the first session play instance, which was fun but a bit easy. Bought two vault upgrades and an upgrade to my shared storage in the LOTRO store with my free points, and I've still got about 900 left.

Looking forward to playing some more when I get time, which probably won't be until the weekend.

If I were you I would save my skirmish marks for armour. You can look at the new armour sets in the skirmish camps. The best sets take about 2300 marks per piece, plus other types of marks.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 03, 2010, 01:24:14 PM

If I were you I would save my skirmish marks for armour. You can look at the new armour sets in the skirmish camps. The best sets take about 2300 marks per piece, plus other types of marks.

I'm investing my marks in getting my soldier to my own level so that it will be considerably easier to earn marks faster later. Walking around with an underpowered soldier just means I won't be able to do anything but the easiest of skirmishes, and even then I'll have trouble.

Also, I'm a supreme grand master metalsmith (or whatever the top level of metalsmith crafting is called), and I've already crafted myself a full suit of awesome armor.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »

but the crafted armour isnt as good as the helegrod or anunimus armour. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »

I meant to download and check out the Halloween stuff, but at this point is it still up?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »

Quote from: envy24 on November 03, 2010, 03:48:56 PM

Maybe. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm not going to do any Helegrod runs anyway, and I don't even know what Anunimus is. Generally I'm not really that much into running group instances. I almost always play nothing but solo content. This is to a large degree because of the pathetic tiered instancing that Turbine introduced back with Mines of Moria. Before that I'd run instances all the time with my kin, but I don't have the patience to grind instances so I can move up in tiers to reach the more interesting ones.

Since Turbine has said that they're going to remove the tiering (ie. Radiance) because it was universally reviled, I'm going to take another look when that happens.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2010, 04:25:43 PM

Maybe. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm not going to do any Helegrod runs anyway, and I don't even know what Anunimus is. Generally I'm not really that much into running group instances. I almost always play nothing but solo content. This is to a large degree because of the pathetic tiered instancing that Turbine introduced back with Mines of Moria. Before that I'd run instances all the time with my kin, but I don't have the patience to grind instances so I can move up in tiers to reach the more interesting ones.

Since Turbine has said that they're going to remove the tiering (ie. Radiance) because it was universally reviled, I'm going to take another look when that happens.

I see.. I dont mind the so called "grind" i do the instances that i enjoy to get the marks and other things required to get the gear.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »

Man, I must be tired. I realize now what you meant by "anuminus". You wanted to say "Annuminas". I've been there, but it required too much organization for too little reward back in the days, so I never gave it a serious try.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »

so no need to get all tiered up about it?

Because I can,
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2010, 04:34:43 PM

Man, I must be tired. I realize now what you meant by "anuminus". You wanted to say "Annuminas". I've been there, but it required too much organization for too little reward back in the days, so I never gave it a serious try.

ya sorry about the misspelling
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2010, 04:34:43 PM

maybe he meant Animus, and that the game was going to turn into Hobbit's Creed icon_twisted

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

Turbine has removed the necessity for Tiering in Helegrod, Annuminas, and others. They have also broken them up into wings that you can join from anywhere in the world, just like skirmishes. Also, the fastest way to get skirm marks now is through the old instances, like Library and School, which you cant use your soldier for. So you really don't need your soldier at all, unless you strictly want to solo the skirmish instances.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

I meant to download and check out the Halloween stuff, but at this point is it still up?

It was still up last night but dunno about today. If the Halloween event message appears on the login screen then it may still be up.

Just an FYI on the Haunted House after the initial timed quest you get in there you have to exit the haunted house to pick up all the other quests (can only do 1 quest at a time). The first time in there I was running all over the place looking for the other quests not realizing I had to turn in the one I was doing to get the others.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2010, 07:08:34 PM »

The Harvestmath Festival runs until Nov. 15th
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »

thumbsup

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2010, 09:44:07 AM »

Btw - in case any europeans wants to try this out, I've started a new kin over on the new euro sever Whyn-something called Wardens of Tharbad - i'm Falco there, so shoot me a tell in case you want in :-)

A new one
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: