http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotRO goes Free to PLay  (Read 13556 times)
MaxSteele
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »

I received several cards which have codes for Turbine Points in LOTRO.  As soon as I verify they can be used on existing accounts and not new accounts only, we'll have a few giveaways. smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

This appeared in a LOTRO dev chat:

<Jalessa> We took Radiance outside, tied it up to some railroad tracks, and...well...I think you saw the end of this in Red Dead Redemption. Look for this in the future - we will be removing Radiance from LOTRO.

Radiance is the feature I hate the most in this game, so this is good news in every way imaginable. I loved how raiding and instances worked before the expansions. It didn't matter if you had just hit level 50 and had only your quest equipment. You had everything you needed to not only enter, but to win each and every instance in the game with a decent group. With the expansions you suddenly had to grind Radiance gear to even be able to do the instances, which is not fun.

Edit: It's possible they'll replace it with something they're experimenting with for the new patch. The redesign of Helegrod splits it into 4 sections (through the Skirmish panel). There are three individual 12-man raids that handle a separate section of Helegrod. Once you have completed each of these (you only have to do it once), you gain access to the fourth part of the raid, which simply is a 24-man boss encounter. As long as you've done the three initial parts, you'll permanently have access to the final boss whenever you want (as long as you can gather a 24-man raid of course). This is a much better system than Radiance.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:46:05 PM by TiLT » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »

I'm reading this as that they made the only hard part of the game easier? Or is it just more accessible now?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »

Nothing has been done yet. I'd expect this in the next patch (ie. not the one this week).

The instances and raids will be way more accessible with this change. No more need to do the same instance over and over in order to qualify for the next one, which you'll have to do over and over to qualify for the raid you REALLY wanted to do from the beginning. Since Radiance goes away, the massive amounts of Dread in the high-level instances will also have to be reduced to compensate, but that's the way it always was before the expansions anyway.

Nothing is going to get easier. It's just going to get more fun. I've already seen posts from people who left the game when Radiance was introduced, but who are now coming back because it gets removed again. I certainly understand that.

Turbine knew already when Moria was released that Radiance wasn't working the way they had hoped. They tried to fix it with Mirkwood by giving us access to Radiance gear through Medallions, reducing the massive grind to just a large grind. It didn't solve squat. They seem to have accepted the community feedback now.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 08, 2010, 03:14:03 PM

Nothing has been done yet. I'd expect this in the next patch (ie. not the one this week).

The instances and raids will be way more accessible with this change. No more need to do the same instance over and over in order to qualify for the next one, which you'll have to do over and over to qualify for the raid you REALLY wanted to do from the beginning. Since Radiance goes away, the massive amounts of Dread in the high-level instances will also have to be reduced to compensate, but that's the way it always was before the expansions anyway.

Nothing is going to get easier. It's just going to get more fun. I've already seen posts from people who left the game when Radiance was introduced, but who are now coming back because it gets removed again. I certainly understand that.

Turbine knew already when Moria was released that Radiance wasn't working the way they had hoped. They tried to fix it with Mirkwood by giving us access to Radiance gear through Medallions, reducing the massive grind to just a large grind. It didn't solve squat. They seem to have accepted the community feedback now.

To me the introduction of medallions did solve some thing. Now you could run any Moria instance or Mirk instance and get several medallions that could be used for any radiance piece that you wanted. THis was a huge improvement over only having one coin per instance and each coin being gear specific. It was and still is easy to find a grand stair group and gert every peice you wanted from just running that one instance.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:39 AM »

meh - launch in europe has been delayed.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:52 AM »

Yeah, and Codemasters hasn't even given us a hint of when the patch gets released. Curses!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:39 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2010, 06:02:52 AM

Yeah, and Codemasters hasn't even given us a hint of when the patch gets released. Curses!

yeah, that struck me as odd as well - I havent been in-game for  while, and was looking forward to trying it out actually... I wonder if I'm still in my guild :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »

It's not a new concept for Codemasters. You haven't been around in LOTRO for very long, but I can assure you this has happened before. It tends to happen when there are problems with the American launch (and there has been some pretty big problems this time from what I hear). Codemasters lets Turbine fix the biggest issues before translating the patch to the EU client. We have to wait longer (sometimes for weeks), but when we do get the patch, it works much better than the one the Americans got initially.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »

The new zone and classic instance system is awesome.  icon_lol
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2010, 06:26:40 AM

It's not a new concept for Codemasters. You haven't been around in LOTRO for very long, but I can assure you this has happened before. It tends to happen when there are problems with the American launch (and there has been some pretty big problems this time from what I hear). Codemasters lets Turbine fix the biggest issues before translating the patch to the EU client. We have to wait longer (sometimes for weeks), but when we do get the patch, it works much better than the one the Americans got initially.

Dammit, we Americans are sick of being your unpaid beta testers! We demand restitution!  *Fist Shaking* @#$(*&% smirk

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 09, 2010, 07:17:49 PM

Dammit, we Americans are sick of being your unpaid beta testers! We demand restitution!  *Fist Shaking* @#$(*&% smirk

I just want my TP.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

So theres some server talk in this thread but i haven't seen a single one singled out. Are we just all over? My old paid server was Landroval i think. but i think this free stuff ill start on one of the new servers..probably imladris

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 09, 2010, 07:17:49 PM

LOL

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 09, 2010, 07:47:17 PM

So theres some server talk in this thread but i haven't seen a single one singled out. Are we just all over? My old paid server was Landroval i think. but i think this free stuff ill start on one of the new servers..probably imladris

Dude there is a whole separate and new thread for that.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 09, 2010, 08:07:48 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on September 09, 2010, 07:47:17 PM

Dude there is a whole separate and new thread for that.

Don't be too hard on him. Reading is difficult! slywink
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »

Well now i have a hunter, warden, and minstrel. I wanted them all to be different..but theres not a lot of difference no matter what hehe. Im thinking since they are all only like lvl 10 Ill delete my hunter and make a burglar. i hear they are very good and more fun than a hunter.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »

I'll have to see if I can find my old toons.

Because I can,
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 10, 2010, 10:23:14 PM

Well now i have a hunter, warden, and minstrel. I wanted them all to be different..but theres not a lot of difference no matter what hehe. Im thinking since they are all only like lvl 10 Ill delete my hunter and make a burglar. i hear they are very good and more fun than a hunter.
Burglars start off kinda slow. They get rolling in the 20s. Don't expect a dps rogue like in some other games. They do CC, debuffs, start fellowship maneuvers, and some good positional dps. Of course they also stealth, which makes some retrieval quests rather trivial for them.

Minstrel is kinda slow killing mobs until you get Warspeech. Then they can destroy stuff. My main is a Warrior-Skald spec'd minstrel.

Warden is maybe the best solo class in the game. They tank, they have both melee and ranged skills, they self-heal, and they can port to several places, which cuts travel time.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »

hmm interesting ive never been much for mmos but between the world and the "begging me to play" im intrigued...

what kind of information is required to do the initial sign up?  part of the reason i dont like these games is the shear amount of information i have to stick up there on the companies servers.  anyone who signed up in the past few days know if its just character name / password stuff, or do i have to go through the whole rigmarole of everything from my address to my credit card and social security number just to play the free stuff?
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:13 PM »

I guess I'm just stupid, but I can't find anyway to downgrade an inactive paid account to an active free account.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on September 10, 2010, 11:59:13 PM

I guess I'm just stupid, but I can't find anyway to downgrade an inactive paid account to an active free account.

I had that problem when DDO went f2p. If it's the same, then you don't do anything. You'll default to premium since you aren't paying a sub fee. Just DL the client and login with your account name and pw. (If they have a different setup this time, then I don't know what the procedure is.)

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 10, 2010, 11:43:11 PM

hmm interesting ive never been much for mmos but between the world and the "begging me to play" im intrigued...

what kind of information is required to do the initial sign up?  part of the reason i dont like these games is the shear amount of information i have to stick up there on the companies servers.  anyone who signed up in the past few days know if its just character name / password stuff, or do i have to go through the whole rigmarole of everything from my address to my credit card and social security number just to play the free stuff?

It's all on the main website at http://www.lotro.com:

Email, First / Last name, Username, Password, Date of Birth.  That's all the info you need to give if you want to play free.  If you want to buy points, then you'll need to give them CC info.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2010, 03:52:39 AM »

I just downloaded the free client then logged in using my old account info.

Is it true you have to pay for everything past the starting areas? I actually own the moria exp ..do I still have to either pay to get that stuff or pay $15 a month for it?....if so I dont see myself paying for other lands if I own them...not fair.

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2010, 05:05:06 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 11, 2010, 03:52:39 AM

Is it true you have to pay for everything past the starting areas? I actually own the moria exp ..do I still have to either pay to get that stuff or pay $15 a month for it?....if so I dont see myself paying for other lands if I own them...not fair.
yes, unfortunately
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2010, 05:22:48 AM »

I dont think that's true. I think you pay for the Expansion, then you can play it in the F2P. That's tha nature of the beast. You should be ok to play Moria content, so long as you already bought the expansion.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2010, 05:32:23 AM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on September 10, 2010, 11:06:50 PM

Minstrel is kinda slow killing mobs until you get Warspeech. Then they can destroy stuff. My main is a Warrior-Skald spec'd minstrel.

Warden is maybe the best solo class in the game. They tank, they have both melee and ranged skills, they self-heal, and they can port to several places, which cuts travel time.

yeah, tried a minstrel first time I played LotRO and got bored very quickly.  will have to try the warden.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2010, 06:14:03 AM »

a warden is a beast...its a self-healing high-dps'ing tank..at least for the first 30 levels or so. Awesome class. At higher levels (50+) you begin to see some issues, since you are a tank, but without that many aggro taking abilities. But I'm guessing for most people its not a problem.

A new one
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:18 PM »

New to the game (only played in the recent beta - got a dwarf champ upto 15th level in the last month or so - now i wish i did warden which is now unavailable to ftp)... i am not sure if i got a premium account from being in the beta or if it was from me being in DDO as a premium.

I remember talk of turbine points being awarded to beta players - did that happen?  (i got zero).

Quote from: MaxSteele on September 06, 2010, 10:48:03 PM

I received several cards which have codes for Turbine Points in LOTRO.  As soon as I verify they can be used on existing accounts and not new accounts only, we'll have a few giveaways. smile
is there a sign up list?  sign me up please

As a tip to ftp only players... if you stay in the  intro area until level 5 (iirc its a 5th level quest) there is a 10tp bonus quest (once per server - in archet it is given in the hunting lodge)...  for those looking to grind out tp points instead of paying - its an easy way to add 10*number of servers tp to your total (just don't buy the item that the 10tp quest provides smile )
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:02:31 PM by notrich » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 11, 2010, 05:22:48 AM

I dont think that's true. I think you pay for the Expansion, then you can play it in the F2P. That's tha nature of the beast. You should be ok to play Moria content, so long as you already bought the expansion.

I think that is correct. However, evenif you bought the original LOTRO game, you would only have access to the starting areas of the game and you would haveto pay for the other areas.  However, once you leveled enough to get to Moria, you would have access to all the Moria content.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

Agree on the Warden...they are the FOTM class.

Disagree about the Mini (unless something has changed in the last year).  Even with Warspeech my Mini was very weak and took forever to kill mobs.  I finally gave up on that class around level 52.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 11, 2010, 02:47:00 PM

Agree on the Warden...they are the FOTM class.

Disagree about the Mini (unless something has changed in the last year).  Even with Warspeech my Mini was very weak and took forever to kill mobs.  I finally gave up on that class around level 52.

They definitely are an acquired taste. Mine is totally traited for dps - 5 of 7 in that trait line, including the legendary that adds gobs to crit chance and damage of certain Warspeech sklills. A dps mini is best at maybe level 58+, when they get their last Warspeech skill. I am slightly gimped as a group buff/healer though, unless I retrait.

It's funny about FOTM, right now I see way more newbie Rune-Keepers than Wardens running through Bree. (Also implying a lot of people coming in for the f2p already had, or purchased Moria.) I also see a metric ton more Captains than usual. Just on empirical evidence, I'd say Burglar is the lowest in numbers of the new crowd.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »

I ended up resubbing for 3 months - I don't want to feel limited by the F2P stuff. Yes, your diabolical plan worked Turbine. Happy now?  icon_confused
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 11, 2010, 09:19:56 PM

I ended up resubbing for 3 months - I don't want to feel limited by the F2P stuff. Yes, your diabolical plan worked Turbine. Happy now?  icon_confused

Haha...I'll probably end up doing the same thing.

I set up a free account for my grandson (he's almost eight). It was...interesting (to say the least) playing with him.  icon_lol "Grandpa, there's a wolf!" "Grandpa, where are you?" "Grandpa, follow me!" It was tiring as hell. Funny how he just naturally role-played everything.

He had a blast.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »

I leveled a Warden to 60, and then 65 shortly after Mirkwood arrived. He was indeed a lot of fun solo with his ports and self-healing, but at level cap I soon found out that it was way too much trouble tanking with him in groups. I constantly had to trigger gambits (sort of 3-4-5 key combos) just to get and maintain aggro while also self-heal. It was stressful and way too much micro management for my taste. It was a sad decision because I wanted to try a lot of grouping and raiding, but I just didn't find that funny with a Warden. Also, his low DPS at higher levels started to annoy me as well.

A few months later, I decided to level up a Rune-keeper instead and let him be my new main. I got all the way to 65 again and this time I really hit the jackpot. The RK has a ton of high DPS spells, some of which are instantaneous, and certainly gives a Hunter a run for his money regarding top notch direct damage. At the same time he is also one of two main healers in the game. Think Druid in World of Warcraft with lots of Healing-Over-Time. (The other one is a Minstrel which is more like a Priest or a Paladin in World of Warcraft with direct healing spells.) I loved healing in groups and raids with the RK and thus finally found the fun I never had with the Warden. Apart from a lot of HOTs, the RK also have a good arsenal of group-wide healing abilities and wards, making him more entertaining than the Paladin I used to go to raids with in World of Warcraft.

So if you ask me, a RK is much better than a Warden. Yes, the RK is a glass cannon, but if you play him right you can get around that problem easily. For example, he has a healing runestone he can put down before a fight, much like when the Shaman puts down a totem in World of Warcraft. The runestone draws healing aggro and has a small pool of hit points, so if you concentrate on one enemy at a time, other mobs nearby will hit the runestone instead. You can also daze one mob for 5-15 seconds (depending on an equipped trait). All this makes it possible for me to fight a group of enemies just as easily, as long as I pay attention.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:17:05 PM by Chordian » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »

I ended up resubbing for 3 months - I don't want to feel limited by the F2P stuff. Yes, your diabolical plan worked Turbine. Happy now?  icon_confused

well actually, it sorta failed with you. people spend more money buying points than a sub would be. so you saved yourself money.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 12, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

well actually, it sorta failed with you. people spend more money buying points than a sub would be. so you saved yourself money.

I'd think it would depend on how much you play. If your gonna be a regular player then it should be cheaper to subscribe, if your gonna play once in awhile then prob better to buy a chunk at a time when needed.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »

You know, I really should have known better. It's not like I don't have any experience with Turbine.

Launcher on one PC sits at "Examine Programs" forever, the other never connects.

I'm kinda glad I was only able to re-up for one month (and even that took me 7 or 8 tries).

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »

Turbine was not prepared for this launch
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2010, 11:39:03 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on September 12, 2010, 10:46:34 PM

Turbine was not prepared for this launch

"We apologize for the inconvenience."

That right there defines exactly what's wrong with the gaming industry. Not having access their product is viewed by them as an "inconvenience" for their paying customers.

It's going to be 2020 and these same, stupid problems are going to keep occurring.

/old and grumpy  icon_lol

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: