http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotRO goes Free to PLay  (Read 13358 times)
Alefroth
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on June 18, 2011, 08:45:17 PM

anyone still in to this? I am reinstalling now. VIP member, due to my lifetime sub....not that I realy know what that means.

Chris

It means you get most of the content and perks f2p'ers have to pay for, for free, as well as a monthly stipend of 500 TP.

Ale
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »

I still play a lot. I'm on the Elendilmir server. I mostly play Hanton, Hantard, or McLush. I wont be on tonight though, date night with the wife. I should be on Sunday though.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »

I just restarted some characters on Landroval
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on June 20, 2011, 08:08:24 PM

I just restarted some characters on Landroval

Some folks at The Wanderers recently restarted on Landroval as well if you are interested in joining them.  They have a guild house and lots of stuff apparently if you are interested.

http://the-wanderers-guild.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=91

If you can't access the forum let me know.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »

I'm playing on a very casual basis (took 3 weeks just to get to level 17) on Landroval.  Bloodright (not sure if he posts here) has been a great deal of help to get me started.  I think he's a master crafter in every profession.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 06, 2011, 12:44:21 PM

I'm playing on a very casual basis (took 3 weeks just to get to level 17) on Landroval.  Bloodright (not sure if he posts here) has been a great deal of help to get me started.  I think he's a master crafter in every profession.

It's not possible to have more than three crafting professions at once, and they have to be part of a predefined package (Metalsmith contains Prospecting, Metalworking and Tailoring, for example). Many people have alts that fill the gaps the main character doesn't have though.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 06, 2011, 12:54:04 PM

Quote from: skystride on July 06, 2011, 12:44:21 PM

I'm playing on a very casual basis (took 3 weeks just to get to level 17) on Landroval.  Bloodright (not sure if he posts here) has been a great deal of help to get me started.  I think he's a master crafter in every profession.

It's not possible to have more than three crafting professions at once, and they have to be part of a predefined package (Metalsmith contains Prospecting, Metalworking and Tailoring, for example). Many people have alts that fill the gaps the main character doesn't have though.

He has several different characters.

I hit level 20 last night.  Having fun with the Burglar.  I've never lasted too long in LOTRO and I've tried twice before (I even bought Moria when it came out but burned out way before reaching the content).  I might be getting a bit more mileage this time since the Burglar combat mechanic is pretty fun.  I was a bit worried that a rogueish class would not be soloable but so far it seems fine.

Anyone know if LOTRO has any sidekicking/mentoring mechanic?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »

It doesn't - And welcome to skirmishing now!

Its a great way to get extra xp and good gear for very little effort. Some of them are very fun as well.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »

For the record: All classes do perfectly well solo in this game, so there's no need to worry that you're gimping yourself by picking the "wrong class".
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 07, 2011, 04:52:04 PM

For the record: All classes do perfectly well solo in this game, so there's no need to worry that you're gimping yourself by picking the "wrong class".

I haven't played in a bit, but I did have some trouble sometimes doing solo story instances with a minstrel.  Usually I could solo, but there were just a couple of rare instances where I had to try a couple of times to complete the solo instance.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 07, 2011, 05:34:43 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 07, 2011, 04:52:04 PM

I haven't played in a bit, but I did have some trouble sometimes doing solo story instances with a minstrel.  Usually I could solo, but there were just a couple of rare instances where I had to try a couple of times to complete the solo instance.

That's because some of the solo instances are pretty damn challenging. I play a Captain, which has the second highest survivability in the game and is considered one of the strongest solo classes, yet even I struggle with some of the instances at times.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »

I think its pretty subjective who's the strongest soloer - Just yesterday I heard Captain wasn't such a good soloer, and I've heard Wardens are the best soloer, and guardian, and champion.

Speaking of skirmishes - I tried one of the two new ones with my 52 guardian, and wiped 7(!) times. I ended up quitting in disgust, but man, the Ice Crevasse skirmish is NOT for the faint of heart

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

Time to Kill (TTK) is an important factor for many people when evaluating how fun a solo class is.  i.e. if it takes a long time to kill every mob, it starts to get boring.  How is the TTK for the defensive classes?  In particular, I'm wondering about the TTK of the Guardian class because I might be interested in playing that.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »

With Overpower guardians can kill things pretty damn fast. Its a newish addition to the class, giving it large bonus's to killing things with a twohander.

I do prefer sword and shield myself since then usually nothing can kill me then.

Personally though, I find if you REALLY want to fly through everything, get a Warden. He's a self-healing, tanking dps'er, modestly speaking :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2011, 07:29:55 PM

I think its pretty subjective who's the strongest soloer - Just yesterday I heard Captain wasn't such a good soloer

As skystride points out, this is ONLY because Captain takes a while longer than most classes to kill enemies. People who say that the Captain is a poor solo class are using nothing but TTK as a factor. In truth, the Captain is nearly unkillable in most situations, being able to handle a surprising amount of adds without any major problems. I've been able to handle impressive amounts of adds without any major problems as long as I keep my head cool. Other classes that are considered excellent soloers by the TTK crowd (such as the Hunter) run into massive problems once they get more than one add in a fight.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2011, 07:36:29 PM

With Overpower guardians can kill things pretty damn fast. Its a newish addition to the class, giving it large bonus's to killing things with a twohander.

I do prefer sword and shield myself since then usually nothing can kill me then.

Personally though, I find if you REALLY want to fly through everything, get a Warden. He's a self-healing, tanking dps'er, modestly speaking :-D

What level do you get overpower?  Can you switch to defensive setup on the fly as the situation warrants?

Warden seemed good on paper and I tried it a bit but just didn't like it for some reason.  Maybe I gave up too early and gambits are more fun later on, I don't know.

Part of the appeal of Guardian to me is the look and animations.  I haven't done any research yet on how they actually play.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »

You get overpower at lvl 20 - and yeah, its easy to switch to something that gives you parry or block bonus's instead, but for some reason I cant remember if you can switch weapons in combat. I don't think so, actually.

Wardens with their gambits are an advanced class, since there is tons of stuff to remember in their gambits. They get up to 5 slots for their gambits, and have about what..50 different combinations to play with? They are NOT very good if you want to tank though, since it takes a skilled group to understand the way the warden gets aggro

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2011, 08:39:56 PM

You get overpower at lvl 20 - and yeah, its easy to switch to something that gives you parry or block bonus's instead, but for some reason I cant remember if you can switch weapons in combat. I don't think so, actually.

Wardens with their gambits are an advanced class, since there is tons of stuff to remember in their gambits. They get up to 5 slots for their gambits, and have about what..50 different combinations to play with? They are NOT very good if you want to tank though, since it takes a skilled group to understand the way the warden gets aggro

That's strange, considering that Wardens are one of only two tank classes in the game, not counting the classes that can off-tank.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »

The thing is - they build their aggro so slow, especially below lvl 60, that the rest of the group HAS to wait a bit before doing anything - its an accumulating aggro thingie.

Wardens are VERY good at holding a single target and never dying, but its quite hard against many (In my opinion, that is)

I love my warden for solo play, but I find it hard to group with people I don't know.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2011, 08:48:25 PM

The thing is - they build their aggro so slow, especially below lvl 60, that the rest of the group HAS to wait a bit before doing anything - its an accumulating aggro thingie.

Wardens are VERY good at holding a single target and never dying, but its quite hard against many (In my opinion, that is)

I love my warden for solo play, but I find it hard to group with people I don't know.

Heh, all the classes have their own grouping issues I suspect. We captains have the problem where nobody notices that we're contributing because it's so subtle, but I've seen a lot of comments like "This was a lot easier than the last time I tried it" (where the previous group had no captain).
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2011, 08:48:25 PM

My Warden is my main, and while it is tricky to hold group agro, it can be done with the right gambits, there is one force taunt, and a bunch of healing gambits that have an area effect. It's best to rotate those in order to hold group aggro. It can be done. But like you said if you have an over zealous Hunter or a Champ it can be tough.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »

I hit 20 as a Burglar and got 3 stance type skills.  Are these of any use right away or do I need to unlock and slot perks associated with them?  For example, Gambler says it affects some skills but I don't think I have said skill.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 08, 2011, 06:18:23 PM

I hit 20 as a Burglar and got 3 stance type skills.  Are these of any use right away or do I need to unlock and slot perks associated with them?  For example, Gambler says it affects some skills but I don't think I have said skill.

While I have never played a Burg, I can say that almost every stance in Lotro provides some passive stat boosts. So read the stances description and you should be able to figure out when to use each stance.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »

Back on and in the Wanderers Landroval guild.

It's true what has been said, Bloodright has alts with masters in all crafting professions.  I joined last night, sent him a bunch of hides and, voila, he sent back a full set of crit-crafted armor, accessories and weapons.

Main: 29 Burglar -- McButterpants

(and a few alts from days of yore whose names I forget)

Come join the fun!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »

In case you hadn't heard, or to confirm the Turbine e-mail most of us got, Turbine's "web applications" had some sort of security breach. They're supposed to contact you if they believe your info was "compromised,"; otherwise they'll e-mail you to request that you change your password as a precaution. If you're worried about phishing attempts, visit the LOTRO site instead of using the e-mails links.

Quote from: Turbine e-mail
Greetings,

Turbine is concerned that a third-party recently may have attempted to access forum account information. There is no indication at this time that your account was modified or compromised. For your protection we suggest you change the password to a unique, hard to guess password not associated with any other sites or services. If you changed your password after October 11th, then you can disregard this message.

To change your password, please follow these steps:

Go to https://myaccount.turbine.com/ and click on "Forgot your password?" You may also click this in the game launcher.

Follow the instructions on how to recover your password. A new password will be sent to this e-mail address.

Once you have received the password reset e-mail, change your password. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites.

Turbine takes your account security seriously. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at https://support.turbine.com/. You may submit a new inquiry to our Customer Service team, and they will be able to assist you further.
*In the spirit, I guess, of not causing a panic, the threads on the security issues have very generic-sounding names.

Forum Status Update:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=5754907#post5754907

Community Site Issues:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=5754904#post5754904

Even though it's F2P, most folks have a credit card in their account for store purchases, so it's definitely worth revising your password. I don't pretend to understand it all, but apparently the forums were hacked in some way and they're concerned it might've given the miscreants access to folks' accounts and characters.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:39:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
IamChuckles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

What is the name of the Wanderers guild on Landroval?  I am currently guild leader for my guild because I inherited the guild because I was the most active member!  I would entertain the idea of a more active guild.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: