http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 09:24:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO: Book 7 Update  (Read 7736 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

This is still in testing, but seems pretty close to release. Has a lot of changes that are going to make some happy and others really angry. As per the norm for any big MMO update.  icon_razz

A player posted an unofficial transcript of the Stratics dev chat the other day. It's not entirely about Book 7 but most of it is. I did this sort of "highlights" post for my LOTRO guild and thought I'd "mirror" it here. Apparently the dev chat started about a half hour late, and was about a half hour shorter than originally intended, which isn't really going down well with the player base - but it was pretty informative, imho.

* Make special note of the last thing I highlighted. There's a new, faster XP leveling system in place, and it seems like players should notice a serious one time "oomph" (you might even ding once or twice, they say) in their character XP the first time they make a kill or complete a quest in post Book 7 update, as the new system yanks you in line with the new leveling curve.  drool

3/11 Dev Chat Transcript
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3485557#post3485557

In Harm's Way adjustment
(Barruktp) In the Bullroarer patch notes, you stated that it is becoming increasingly difficult to design new content with IHW at 100%. Could you please expand on this? Do you believe there is an place in game for a 100% damage bubble? Will you be giving captains additional group survivability tools to compensate for this significant loss?

*Jalessa* There were cases where the In Harms Way skill was being used with other skills that trivialized or completely negated content in the game. Our content team did not have any reasonable way to address this - doing so on their end would have meant a severe reduction in the amount of content they could produce over time, due to having to compensate for every 'scenario' that would occur. We chose instead to address In Harms Way, which we believe to be the root cause of concern with this particular issue of trivializing game content. We do not believe there is a place in the game for a 100% fellowship wide damage bubble at this time, so we changed the skill. Making the skill have a 50% damage reduction still means that the skill on its own could be useful, since Captains (via various banners) tend to have a lot of morale.

Spreading out the damage for their entire party becomes a preventative tool vs. a panic button, but it also means the skill can be used without pairing it with another. As always, we will be evaluating the change over the course of book 7, and we will be monitoring your feedback in case we need to make changes.

Token System for First Age Drops [eventually]
Mafia: Any chances that 2nd Age weapons could go into a barter system like Khuzdul Tablets and Rusted Dwarf Tools? Getting Captain's Daggers of the 1st Age from The Watcher and a Champ Dagger of the 2nd Age after a week of grinding is not fun!

*Amlug* We understand your pain. This is why we are working on a token system for first age weapon drops inside raids. We want you to have a more reliable way to get some of the weapons out there so we have come up with a system to do just that. It is still going through the grinder and will be coming soon to a raid near you...
First age weapons availability
<Leeradan> Are 1st Age weapons going to be available anywhere besides the Watcher in book 7?

*Amlug* The new raid will have a chance to drop first age weapons as well. Once the new barter system comes online, both of these raids will utilize the system.
New reputation recipes for crafters
<Frenya> Are we gonna get any new uses for the crafting mats we can collect with the new craftinstances that we get in book 7?

*Jalessa* Book 7 introduces tons of reputation recipes for crafters with Lorien. There are also a slew of new recipes outside of Lorien: resist foods, tactical jewelry, runekeeper and warden class items. There are also plans to continue to add more into crafting through Book 8+. Keep tuned in
Hunter Changes
<Renali> I fully understand why the need to scale back DPS was implimented. However, do you think it went a little too far in some cases? With my own personal testing, my Hunter has dropped a solid 35-40% in overall DPS, before today's update to Bullroarer. (I haven't been able to test it much today to see anything changed) And this is with the same gear/traits as I had on the live servers.

*Jalessa* We also scaled down monster hits and resistances to compensate for the change in weapon DPS. In the case of the Hunter though, you also went through additional skill changes, which may reflect the other changes you are seeing in your overall DPS changes. We're still evaluating the data on these changes however, so please keep feedbacking on on the changes.
Change in the Leveling Curve [i.e., should be faster]
<Shikadan> I'm a little confused about what will happen to an alt I'm currently leveling when Book 7 goes live. Will she automatically gain levels to get on track with the new XP curve, or go down to the right amount of XP for her current level?

*Jalessa* When you log into your character, the first time you gain experience (whether it's with a quest complete or with a monster kill), you will be granted experience and directed into the new curve. That may mean that you level (once or twice! even).

*Jalessa* Personally, I can't wait. It will be an alt-ding day for me

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

This is scheduled to hit live servers next Tuesday:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3491079#post3491079

Their Lore Book has full release notes:
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Volume_2_Book_7_Official

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »

Super.  Thanks for the updates, Blackjack.

I was looking for the full release notes, and had trouble finding them.  You da' man.

I love LotRO.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »

This update is scheduled to hit the same day I am supposed to get my new CPU and Mono from Newegg. I'm upgrading from an old athlon 4200 to a Intel i7. It should make LoTRO look MUCH better. I can't wait.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 14, 2009, 12:49:27 AM

This update is scheduled to hit the same day I am supposed to get my new CPU and Mono from Newegg. I'm upgrading from an old athlon 4200 to a Intel i7. It should make LoTRO look MUCH better. I can't wait.

Being able to run with close to everything maxed will make it look awesome.  Except in Bree where you will still stutter and lag a little bit no matter how good your computer is smile

Looking forward to the update and the "slightly" reduced level curve.  Little worried about the dps hits but if it really balances with the reduced misses and resists it will be ok.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »

Thanks for the info. Reminds be to get back  to playing this game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:08:22 AM »

Since I bought a PS3 back in December, I haven't really played LOTRO much. There's just so much good stuff to play on the PS3 that I can't find the time. Still, I'll head back in once this patch hits. I'm level 57, so I might just end up hitting max very quickly afterwards.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »

The 900MB patch is available from lotro.com to pre-download and apply in advance of tomorrow's downtime.  It's available as a full download or torrent.  Full patch notes are also up.  I'm downloading it now and getting a good down speed of ~750KB/sec.  Probably much quicker to get it today instead of waiting for tomorrow.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

I'd play again, but starting over seems like there would be few low level players at this point...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »

That makes sense.  It's funny though, no matter when I walk through Bree, there is always, always chatter in the Looking For Fellowship channel with people looking to do low level group quests.  It's amazing.  I don't know if LotRO just continues to trickle in new blood all the time, or if it's just people making their 5th and 6th alt.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »

You *should* start over, because much of the new update is focused on making the lower level experience more fun, less drudgerous (re, the new self-rez skill, and rearranging some things to get you into the main questing areas faster on some race-types) and a faster leveling curve should get you out of the lowbies faster.

If anything, you'll probably see a larger influx of lower level starting players than the game has had since the Warden and Rune Keeper were introduced, as people want to see how the revamped low-level game experience has changed. Normally you'll only see a brief rush of new characters when new classes are introduced.

But *boom*, on que, they had to take servers down to some mysterious problems this morning, just the day before the big update was scheduled.  paranoid

Servers Down - Last Updated: 12:23AM Eastern (-4 GMT) Monday, March 16
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3498993#post3498993

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »

what is a good populated server to start on these days?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

Landroval is the un-official RP server (RP lite but it helps with the xxKillerLegoxx names, ooc abuse, etc) and is nicely populated at lower and upper levels.  I believe Brandywine also has a good population.  I'm on Landroval and I've seen more low levels playing in the past month than a month after the game launched.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »

Speak of the devil, there's a thread at official forums about people anxiously planning to start new alts when the update goes live tomorrow, to see how the New Experience shakes out:
Are You Holding Off Creating Alts Until Book 7?
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3500445#post3500445

And (if you're not a Turbine Download Manager) you can grab the Book 7 Downloadable Updater to get a headstart on downloading the files for the update:

Volume II, Book 7: Leaves of Lórien downloadable updater is now available!
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=254478

Then when the updated servers go live, it'll just apply the patch and update itself. Read the fine print (you have to install and fully update the client before you can apply the Downloadable Updater), if you're a new user, and this isn't the version for EU players (but it is for Australia/New Zealand players along with North America).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:13:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

Wow this is a big update the download for it is almost 1 gig.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »

I don't want to derail this thread, but what's different in this MMO than in others? I've played WoW and AoC, and found them pretty boring.
(I am however a pretty big fan of LotR).
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on March 17, 2009, 11:24:21 AM

I don't want to derail this thread, but what's different in this MMO than in others? I've played WoW and AoC, and found them pretty boring.

Being a big fan of the books may be what's different for you. Turbine has created an extremely accurate recreation of the LoTR world. Everything from town location, roads, building location, etc is exactly where it should be. Even the side characters are where they should be. Butterbur is there, The Rangers are a big part of the story, Bill is there, etc. Also, the game follows a main storyline that you progress through, as well as an abundance of side quests.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on March 17, 2009, 11:24:21 AM

I don't know exactly how to describe it.  It's nothing like WoW or AoC.  Leveling is slower, classes and races have restrictions, and the auction house could use a little work.  It does have outstanding graphics (especially if you have a newer computer and DX10), it's totally faithful to the books (not the movies) and it has the best MMO community of any game I've ever played.  It's also the only MMO where I take time to actually walk around and explore instead of level-level-level.  It's very well supported with planned expansions (most free, couple paid) over the next few years.  It is not for everyone though...I would really recommend downloading the trial and actually playing a week before buying.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »

As Gene Wilder would say (Young Frankenstein), "Alive! It's alive! It's alive!"

Volume II: Book 7: Leaves of Lorien is Now Available!
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3504404#post3504404
 :bom:

If you find MMO questing and the whole "bop my hotkeys until something falls" generally boring, I don't know that LOTRO will do anything for you. It isn't *that" different gameplay wise. Everyone is still fixated on healers, tanks, DPSers. Everyone is still obsessed with "raid loot." People will jump all over you if you aren't versed in Aggro and Pulling. icon_razz

And certainly if you love the LOTR books the games based on (or even the movies that it's not based on), you will enjoy seeing locations you read about, and meeting characters you read about. You might get goose bumps meeting Aragorn and Frodo. You might get a lump in your throat when you meet Boromir, knowing what his ultimate fate will be. And of course you'll want to tear your hair out on the Epic instance when Legolas... well, you'll find out.  disgust

Even though it's not based on the films, I got a kick a while back out of seeing the first film and noting some regions that are in the game. Or noting how the fellowship meets Aragorn at the Prancing Pony, just as you do in the game.  icon_cool

Game-wise, I like LOTRO's storylines and like ericb said the expansive environs that are often pretty enjoyable to explore and huge enough to need some time to do that. I like the polish and configurability of its interface (AoC's is absolutely klutzy by comparison), its crafting (the only MMO where I have gotten any enjoyment out of crafting), the general player community (I think the ratio of bad apples and foul mouths to fun and helpful people is as pleasantly low as in any MMO I've tried), even things as small as having a dedicated LFF channel rather than making people use "General Chat" for anything and everything. I think it's as finely polished an MMO as I've played for an extended period, even if their Book 7 "Known Issues" page is frighteningly long...

I find AoC's combat more fun and visceral (partly because of AoC's "non clipping" character models vs. the more typical "character models passing through each other" of LOTRO and others), and I enjoyed my return to AoC enough to mothball LOTRO these last 2-3 months but I will return to check out the new Book update, and see how the "new player revamp" goes for new characters.

I was a little disappointed Moria's new regions leaned so heavily on Hunt Quests at times, and on all the "rapid respawning bosses in a location so everyone lines up and camps" areas which, oddly, reminded me of AoC.

And while I think Legendary Weapons is an awesome idea, to me the stats are so relatively Subtle in their impacts, I eventually didn't get all that much excited about adding a new modifier/stats. It's not like a Diablo hack'n'slash type game where you'd get new weapons with crazy visual effects and modifiers, and would see dramatic differences. Eventually I got a little blase about that, and all the hunt quests, and that's what led me back to AoC.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:32:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 10:18:09 PM »

Well, I logged in to check the "bonus levels" on my main characters.  My 29 hunter went to 31, my 25 warden went to 28 and my 25 RK went to 27.  I know some people are complaining about the lower requirement but for me that is 7 levels I don't have to worry about now.  And all three have full bonus xp since I haven't been able to play for a month or so.  No problems patching and performance seems in the same in the areas I'm in.  Time will tell though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »

I logged in for a bit this morning. The promised leveling curve "bumps" definitely happened for my characters after just one kill post-update. icon_cool

My 53 Captain bumped up to 54, 29 guardian bumped up to 31, and even my 7 Warden bumped up to 9 (just be sure to kill something that gives you any exp, not a "grey.").

More progress than I've made in eons. :mrgreen: Of course, apparently the idea is more that you'll be more appropriate level to deal with the tougher enemies' behavior and in some cases a class's reduced DPS-ability post-update, rather than just giving you free leveling gravy trains. But it feels like Christmas anyway.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I'll try some new characters tonight perhaps.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »

Saw an interesting post about the new XP curve, including a reference to a chart that makes it a bit easier to visualize:

Re: XP Complaining: Are you kidding me?
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3510354#post3510354
While many players jumped in level, especially at the lower levels (my min jumped one level from 44-45), it's going to be slower to level at the top of the curve. Digital Utopia's chart is a really good visual aid to why the curve was adjusted. Players will notice a big difference right *now* because of the change, but once they're caught up to the curve they shouldn't have to adjust again.

XP chart for pre-book 7 vs. Book 7
http://www.digitalutopia.org/xpreq.jpg
I guess it's roughly around 53 that it should actually start taking *more* exp to level, although you'll probably still see a level bump in the mid 50s the first time you gain exp (as my Captain did, from 53-54).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:41:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »

Well I got the new comp up and running and played all weekend. I really dig the added content. I know I'm probably starting to sound like a Turbine fanboy but I really do think they have a great game here and they sure as hell support it above and beyoind what some other MMO companies do.

Probably my favorite addition is a quest tracker. One complaint that some people had about the game was the vague quest directions. Now that complaint is gone since Turbine has added an optional quest tracker that will highlight areas of the map where you have quest objectives. It works a lot like the WoW quest helper plugin and I find it to be really helpful.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »

I think maybe I'm finally burned out on MMOs altogether. In the last year I've tried interesting concepts that got unplugged (Tabula Rasa, Hellgate: London); tried, left and re-visited a couple of relatively heavy-hitters (LOTRO, AoC); and dabbled in a free-to-play (Atlantica Online) while my purchased copy of Pirates of the Burning Sea rots.

But I'm enjoying my single player-only Freedom Fighters re-visit, and perhaps a return to my military shooter roots Before City of Heroes (before April 2004) is in the cards.

I just think all these years of endless Hunt Quests, deliveries and Bop the Foozle, combined with all the Leet players constantly chatting in dense MMO Jargon Speek while heaping untold abuse on newbie players has gotten to me.

Which sucks cause now I'm an LOTRO Lifetime Subscriber. Ew, I just KNEW this would happen once I took that leap.  icon_razz puke

Oh well, I think the book 7 changes are largely nice. When I return from my MMO sabbatical (hey, I'm lifetime!), I'm sure I'll like them even more.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:38:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »

Blackjack, it isn't that you are burned out on MMOs, just that you graduated to true addict slywink  You've known me for a while, and you know how bad my EGADD ( Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder ) is especially toward MMOs.  As for the lifetime of LotRO, I don't regret having mine because for once I don't feel like I'm wasting money if I take breaks.  And you know that when the next big MMO comes out, you'll be there ( as will I biggrin )

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

Well, for those that are thinking of coming back to check out the new content, they are having an extended free Welcome Back Weekend from today through Tuesday the 31st with a 25% XP bonus on those days as well.  Wasn't sure if that should get its own thread or just be stuck here, since those not playing may not look in here. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

They're in midst of a major datacenter transfer today, Monday (LOTRO's up but for the most part the forums/lorebook aren't, and DDO and AC are down for the day).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

I logged in last night on a lark, just to see if I had any "welcome back" hours on my account.  I was surprised to see that my account had been made active until 4/19 for some reason.   icon_eek  Are they running some form of promotion?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »

Problem is for us die-hard MMO players is the sameness of them all now. Its like how many ways can you make a peanut-butter sandwich?

There needs to be some introduction of something totally new and fresh into the game-play aspects of MMO's. A paradigm shift if you will.

Business as usual isn't going to wash with the masses much longer....I'm done with them now for a bit. I don't know how long I'll be out for, but things in real life will have to get pretty boring for me to re-sub any of the current MMO collection.

The deju-vu of them all just got really old for me. A rose is a rose is a rose......or in this case for me, a weed is a weed is a weed is a weed...(not that kind of weed hippie)

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

*cough*JUMPGATE:EVOLUTION*cough*

I love LotRO for what it is, and I'm also looking forward immensely to Jumpgate. It's like chocolate and peanut butter; two flavors that will taste great together for my gaming time. slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »

I again suggest giving Atlantica Online a try. I don't recommend it as one's "main" MMO cause you probably would get burned out on the turn-based battles after a while, but I think it's fun and refreshing, and it's free.

Or for that matter, just visit one of the lists of top rated Free 2 Plays and see if there's one that doesn't feel like a dungeon grindfest, or More of the Same. I'm not a huge F2P fan per se. Other than Atlantica, Dungeon Runners (for a time) and R.O.S.E. Online, little has tickled me, but there's a lot out there that people don't hear about or know about. The intimidatingly complex South Korean naval combat game Navy Field is one I wish I could get into, for example.

I am on MMO hiatus (even from Atlantica), so I feel your pain.  icon_smile

I can argue that for me or for you or someone else, a paradigm shift is necessary but when the 900 pound gorilla (WoW) and the majority of the 100,000+ subscriber base MMOs that nip nowhere close to its heels are different variations on more of the same (fantasy MMOs where you clack hotkeys frantically until you bop someone or something into the ground), I can't really argue to any game publisher that they need to "break the mold." MMOs just cost too much to develop and maintain for publishers to fund much fresh experimentation.

Now that RTS games aren't topping the charts every month, we do seem to be seeing quite a lot of effort to innovate the genre (co-op play, mini-campaigns, hero units, etc. etc.) and freshen it up. So I could see that happening in MMORPGs, but probably not unless the current top dogs run out of gas. I'm not necessarily rooting for that to happen, but I think we would see more interesting variety in the genre if it did.  icon_neutral

I'm so far off topic. Hmmm. Well, seems like LOTRO servers are still quite in upheaval, and Turbine claims to be trying to work out a solution. I saw a post where they may have to make server resets a regular daily maintenance routine, although that won't fix whatever their underlying problem is.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:32:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 10, 2009, 05:55:17 PM

There needs to be some introduction of something totally new and fresh into the game-play aspects of MMO's. A paradigm shift if you will.

Business as usual isn't going to wash with the masses much longer....

I don't buy that. When was the last time books had a paradigm shift? I think they're still pretty popular.

Ale
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 12:39:11 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on April 11, 2009, 10:09:26 PM

Quote from: Arclight on April 10, 2009, 05:55:17 PM

Business as usual isn't going to wash with the masses much longer....

I don't buy that. When was the last time books had a paradigm shift? I think they're still pretty popular.

Ale

When was the last time you played a book? Books are for reading, which stimulate the mind to "imagine". The way MMO's are now everyone has the same base game design. You might have Orc's that look different in Warhammer compared to Orcs in WoW(not so much)but the game play is exactly the same.

The leveling, gaining skills dynamic is cut and paste from one MMO to the next. You play one MMO you can play them all. What books are like that?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »

I love reading but you have the same issue in books, take the fantasy genre, 99% all the same, same types of creatures, same basic story line, hence i don't read them often.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »

So, I'm thinking about dropping my Warhammer Sub and picking up LotR sub.  Is the game solo friendly now?  What's a good server to play on?  Any active fellowship for GT/OO/Qt3 I can join?

I had a captain I enjoyed in beta, so I might start there again

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

LotRO is very solo friendly.  They have beefed up the starting area itmes you get and made it easier by making finding the quest givers easier and the new Quest tracker alos makes starting easier.

I restarted on Vilya just to test out the changes and they make starting much more friendly so soloing is easy.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »

If you choose Landroval, you can pal around with me.  What more could ANYONE want!?

icon_biggrin

LD

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 17, 2009, 01:58:54 PM

If you choose Landroval, you can pal around with me.  What more could ANYONE want!?

icon_biggrin

Well at least you can't shoot me in the back :p

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »

So I bought LOTRO about 3 weeks ago.

First impressions were... not so good. In fact, pretty bad. I did NOT like the graphics much, and kept wondering if I was missing something, since everybody raves about them... I couldn't stop comparing them to AoC, which is far superior (technically).
Then, the combat... Also, not very good. I rolled a Captain, and I was immediately annoyed by the fact that some of his most basic skills include an incredibly annoying 'yell'. "Yaaaaaaah!" and "Huuuwaaah!" for every wolf or mosquito you meet... sigh. And then you get a pet, which is a bearded guy with a standard. I mean, come on! I'm a captain, I yell constantly and there's a bearded chap with a flag following me around everywhere... It's plain ridiculous.

Basically, the entire game just felt off for me. The quests, the monsters, the characters...

And then, slowly, right when I was about to resub to AoC, it started clicking. There is *something* with this game, which I didn't see at first. It's more than the sum of its parts. The music, setting, and most of all, the atmosphere, feels spot-on.
The main reason for this, is that I'm playing on a RP-server, which means I get to see a lot of roleplaying, and everybody has been friendly till now. I mean this, really everybody I've met is polite and helpful. Today, I walked into the Prancing Pony, and a group of 4 identically dressed people where playing some songs. There was a group of listeners standing nearby, they were talking a bit about the performance, but mostly everyone was just listening. Afterwards, I donated a couple of silver pieces to them, because the music had been really well played.

So, this game does not feature exciting combat I think, nor is it graphically up to AoC-standards. But it's a real joy to play! There's lots of nice people, the quests are well-written actually, and there's a main storyline which really ties everything together. And I don't feel like I 'have' to play it every night to enjoy it. There's no rush, no feeling that I'm levelling to slow (like I had with WoW).

It's somewhat strange why it's so much fun to be honest smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

I've been playing with a group of Quarter to Three guys on Monday nights and having a blast.  It's totally laid back and casual but the game really shines with a good group of people.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: