http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 01:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotRO: A good duo?  (Read 2793 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

A friend and I are thinking about getting back into LotRO and we're looking for a good duo that would allow us to experience a lot of the game's content with minimal additional grouping. Any suggestions? The best thing I see suggested is pretty much a Minstrel and just about anybody else, but I'm curious what you all know.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »

With two players I would go with 1 tank and 1 healer, so you would need a Mini or Rune Keeper for the healer and a Guardian, Captain or Warden for the tank. RKs and Wardens are also very solo friendly.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »

An RK is a good duo memeber because depending on what your duo is doing an RK can be great at O or healing.  An interesting duo might be hunter and RK...the RK could kite while hunter thumped.  might be ideal but would be a lot of fun.

Loremaster and RK would be another non-standard but fun combo.  if you want the standard punishment absorber/healer then the other suggestions in the thread are more germane.

You level so quickly at low levels and now they beefed up and consolidated the teens and low 20s you could probably try any combo and quickly level to where yoou would see how effective it could be
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 26, 2009, 05:11:06 PM

With two players I would go with 1 tank and 1 healer

I've only played hunter to any significant levels in LOTRO, but the classic tank/healer duo generally kills a bit slowly. Realistically, since I can solo almost all the small group required stuff, I think any duo you choose will be able to handle that. The full group stuff you'd be hard pressed to handle with any duo, so I'd base my selection on other considerations... like the hunters group ports. biggrin Anything at all goes well with the hunter.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 26, 2009, 03:33:25 PM

A friend and I are thinking about getting back into LotRO and we're looking for a good duo that would allow us to experience a lot of the game's content with minimal additional grouping. Any suggestions? The best thing I see suggested is pretty much a Minstrel and just about anybody else, but I'm curious what you all know.
If you guys ever need a hand, just let me know. We can do some of the brutal 3 person instances.  icon_razz Most of my characters are on Elindilmir, Elendilmir, whatever (which I never spell correctly), but if you're starting over, any server's good.

I'm on Lifetime subscription but I haven't played in months, and just found it harder than I remember to get pickup groups going (my guild sort of ran out of steam and a lot of the members were in drastically different timezones to begin with), but I say that about everything. In fact, everyone says that about every MMO now.  icon_razz

I'm sure all sorts of duo-makeups work well, just don't forget to play something you and your friend each enjoy. If you force yourself into classes you don't enjoy playing (but that "duo" well), you may lose interest in the long run. And often two of the same class can be a pretty fun and efficient duo.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:04:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 26, 2009, 07:59:02 PM

Quote from: Destructor on June 26, 2009, 03:33:25 PM

If you guys ever need a hand, just let me know. We can do some of the brutal 3 person instances.  icon_razz Most of my characters are on Elindilmir, Elendilmir, whatever (which I never spell correctly), but if you're starting over, any server's good.

I'm on Lifetime subscription but I haven't played in months, and just found it harder than I remember to get pickup groups going (my guild sort of ran out of steam and a lot of the members were in drastically different timezones to begin with), but I say that about everything. In fact, everyone says that about every MMO now.  icon_razz

I'm sure all sorts of duo-makeups work well, just don't forget to play something you and your friend each enjoy. If you force yourself into classes you don't enjoy playing (but that "duo" well), you may lose interest in the long run. And often two of the same class can be a pretty fun and efficient duo.

Blackjack, if you are looking to get back into it with the 2.7 and 2.8 stuff then look me up in game, my guild is still going strong. In fact we have group events planned for each weekend. This weekend is the 12 person turtle raid. Anyway I am an officer so I can shoot anyone an invite. It's the Elendilmor server Im hanton in game. I will be on raiding tonight.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »

I tried picking up my level 32 Champion again the other night after a few months off, and after that I felt like I didn't have a reason to play the game again.  Almost all of the quests I have are for groups or are far below my level, and trying to do them was just frustrating and slow (if not downright impossible). 

That is my highest level character that I've ever gotten, but I almost just felt like starting over since I didn't even know where to go or what to do.  Is there somewhere specific I should be going at that level?  I feel like I've kind of run into a wall, and it is the same wall I hit in the mid 20's many months ago before they made leveling easier and added more quests.  I tend to do mostly solo stuff and I'm not a big fan of pickup groups.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 26, 2009, 11:10:35 PM

I tried picking up my level 32 Champion again the other night after a few months off, and after that I felt like I didn't have a reason to play the game again.  Almost all of the quests I have are for groups or are far below my level, and trying to do them was just frustrating and slow (if not downright impossible). 

That is my highest level character that I've ever gotten, but I almost just felt like starting over since I didn't even know where to go or what to do.  Is there somewhere specific I should be going at that level?  I feel like I've kind of run into a wall, and it is the same wall I hit in the mid 20's many months ago before they made leveling easier and added more quests.  I tend to do mostly solo stuff and I'm not a big fan of pickup groups.

I would suggest making the trip to Rivendale to talk to Aragorn. Once there he will give you a quest to recover the fragments for his sword. This quest is a lengthy mulipart quest that will take you through Evendim. Most of it can be completed solo and along the way you can pick up other quests around the lake.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »

If I recall, recent updates revamped the lower portion of the game to try to make things more fun and reduce some travel time situations. I'll probably roll a new character just to check those out.

I had returned to the game and played like crazy 2-3 months, but I'm afraid I just tend to burn myself out when I return to MMOs these days (same happened in COH). I gotta learn to be more gradual.  icon_razz

I'll look you up Hanton once I remember what I'm doing.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »

A bit of a highjacking here...what's the best solo class?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 27, 2009, 01:59:01 AM

As I mentioned above, my hunter is pretty much unstoppable. I've soloed her from 1 to 53 or 54, whatever she is now. Not sure what is the best as the rest of my characters are all in their teens, but the hunter rocks!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 03:03:29 AM »

I have played one of everything to the mid 30s

Hunter is the hands down best solo though all can get the job done.
Warden would be next easiest then Guardian because a guardian absorbs tremendous amounts of punishment
Rune Keeper once i learned you could cast most things while moving
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »

I think just about any class can solo, and relatively well to boot.  But for the most FUN... to me it's hands down the Hunter, Warden, and Loremaster.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »

All the quests around Esteldin would be good, as well as the Shire in Oatbarton. Both will also lead you into Evendim.

Ale
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

I found my burglar to be my best solo'er. He's got good survivability and dishes out the damage pretty well. He also handles multiple mobs with ease.

Ale
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on June 29, 2009, 01:52:33 PM

All the quests around Esteldin would be good, as well as the Shire in Oatbarton. Both will also lead you into Evendim.

Ale
I second the notion.  icon_smile I bumped up a couple levels on my Guardian fairly fast (31-33), and even got on a couple decent small pickup groups. I still don't understand why Funcom won't add an LFF channel to AoC's chat channel nightmare -- just that one little thing (a dedicated LFF channel) makes finding groups or even just waiting for one that suits you, soooo much easier in LOTRO, imho.

Once nice thing back in the Bree area is that they've apparently rearranged things, and given you a little better guidance. When you reach higher areas, I always thought that the variety of areas was both good (if you have 3-4-5 different areas you can go in a certain level range for quests, then replays of the game aren't so benumbing because you can do some different things), and bad (you can certainly get a little lost as to where you should be questing, and where you can find solo vs. group content at a given level). I wouldn't hesitate to ask in the advice channels when you run into the latter situation.

It happens to me often when I return to the game after a long spell away. btw, I think I read they revamped Evendim a bit in terms of providing faster options for travel, esp. across the main lake. I like Evindem once I have my own mount, but I find it quite the hassle until then.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »

Although I'm enjoying my revisit, I still wish some of the attacks had more interesting sound effects. Probably there's some memory limitation/usage or something reason, but a lot of my guardian sound effects basically sound like someone beating a broomstick against a plastic bowl or something.  icon_razz

I'm not asking for it to become AoC, but something a little more lively in the attack-audio department would be nice.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 30, 2009, 05:19:09 PM

Although I'm enjoying my revisit, I still wish some of the attacks had more interesting sound effects. Probably there's some memory limitation/usage or something reason, but a lot of my guardian sound effects basically sound like someone beating a broomstick against a plastic bowl or something.  icon_razz

I'm not asking for it to become AoC, but something a little more lively in the attack-audio department would be nice.

I mentioned that and other things concerning "added stuff" to make combat more interesting. The common answer I received was along the line of staying true to the lore. IE: Nothing over the top magic-wise, or special effects for combat skills. Not sure why that would compromise Mr. Tolkien's original premise of Middle Earth, but that was the most common reply I got. Go figure.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 03:16:47 PM »

I can understand that visually, but I wonder how devs would say "lore" or "Tolkien's books" say a sword hitting a beastie can't sound a little more interesting in a game?  icon_confused

When the devs respond in forums, usually the reasons for why they can't put "X" in the game are either that the game engine can't support it, it would hurt system performance, it's too time consuming and they have other development priorities, or (as they say) "it doesn't fit LOTRO lore."  icon_smile Actually, that's the same type of response for about any MMO I guess (changing "LOTRO" with the other game's name).

In City of Heroes, what drove many of us crazy is they kept arbitrarily changing certain sound effects, for no discernible reason. Sometimes a cool sound would get swapped with something boring, or a looping sound effect that wasn't too annoying would suddenly become a "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttt!" (the "targeting droid" loop sound drove me insane from day 1). It seemed as if the sound designer(s) was justifying his job or something.  retard

Maybe in LOTRO they could just let us mod a few attack sound files so I can enjoy a nice "WHOOSH!" even if my group mates here the usual "doink."  icon_razz

Back to the duo stuff. The pet classes like the Captain and Lore-Master can make really good duo partners and each is versatile enough and can do enough healing to help make up for a minstrel's absence. My Captain's had a lot of good duos with just about any other class, but Guardians in particular, or just another Captain (they can use a different Herald to complement each other). My guild has a couple high level Lore-masters, and I always enjoyed duoing with them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:23:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »

The times where I've been in a two-man captain-only team, we've felt invincible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: