http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR Online for a 10 year old  (Read 1094 times)
dadman441scooter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:47:20 AM »

My 10 year old son would like to play LOTR online, but I'm concerned about the violence possible in the game and the T rating.  I'm interested in opinions of actual users regarding a 10 year old playing this game.  Thanks.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »

Well, the main activity in LOTR, as well as most other MMORPGs, is to kill enemies to gain experience that levels your character up.  Violence plays a big part in the game but it is really is no different from World of Warcraft, Everquest or any of the other games out there.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »

Hey, welcome to the site dadman441scooter.  While I don't have direct experience with LOTRO I have heard that you can do a lot of other things like make music in the game.  I'm sure somebody here can speak more to those activities than I can though. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 10, 2008, 03:08:42 PM

Hey, welcome to the site dadman441scooter.  While I don't have direct experience with LOTRO I have heard that you can do a lot of other things like make music in the game.  I'm sure somebody here can speak more to those activities than I can though. 

I believe Lockdown was the resident wussy who did nothing but play music...

icon_biggrin
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »

I played LOTORO from late beta up to about a month or so ago. While you can certainly do crafting, and focus on "pick a bunch of berries" quests, sooner or later you're going to have to stab, slash, gouge, bash, and blast things -- or team up with someone who can do that for you.  ninja2 There isn't really any way of entirely avoiding that if you actually want to progress in the game.

If you want to minimize that, I'd probably go with the minstrel. "Attacking" with the lutes and such is actually quite fun and refreshingly different than trying to decapitate everything in sight, and it sort of minimizes the gore in combat. smile You can focus on healing (though minstrels can do a fair amount of damage) and doing good deeds and what not.

If you're really concerned about it, I would instead consider some of the kids-oriented MMOs that are out there, or wait and see how the Lego MMO that Netdevil is working on turns out (though I'm skeptical that can make a 2008 release date).

Honestly though I would be more concerned about the type of garbage your child might encounter in the chat channels than some pixeldy fantasy violence. That's why all these games (MMO or not) have disclaimers that "your online experience may change," regardless of what the game's rating is. Some military shooter may be rated T, but the online experience probably has players cussing creatively and using rascist terms and epithets in a way that makes sailors blush and outwits obscenity filters.  saywhat

To be fair to LOTORO, I found the chat channel level of nastiness relatively low. It only got ugly for me on certain teams when people would get angry at someone for not playing perfectly. I think one of the reasons I enjoy Tabula Rasa (which I wouldn't recommend for a 10 year old, fwiw) is I don't have to listen (read chat text of) to people cussing each other out for not tanking, healing, pulling properly.

I have a 10 year old nephew, and I guess I would worry more about some nasty teammate insulting or bullying him in a game (which should be fun, afterall) than the effects of stabbing an orc with a halberd. Certainly there are ways around this (you can turn off chat, you can monitor him and not let him team up with people etc.), but they sort of squash some of the points of an MMO game.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:25:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »

Welcome to posting at GamingTrend.

I'd say if you are going to let your 10 year old play any "non-kid" MMO - LOTRO is a great choice.

@ Arkon: Guilty as charged.  I loved playing music in LOTRO.  It was my favorite part of the game.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

I personally believe that some 'T' rated games are suitable for some 10 year olds. I also have a 10 year old son that would like to play MMO's and previously my nephew that lived with me from the age of 12 - 17 was an avid RPG'er . I've never played LOTRO, but I've played many other MMO's. In all of the MMO's I've played, depiction of blood and gore has been minimal, so personally I don't think that's what your main concern should be. My bottom line on 'T' rated video games is that as long as the game involves playing a character/avatar of good alignment involved in a battle of good against evil then I'm OK with it. I'm not preaching that this is for everyone, it's just my personal view on it and my own comfort level. In keeping with this, I've recently allowed my son to play some 'T' rated Star Wars games.

I've played with my fair share of young teens in DAoC and for the most part all were good experiences. However, all of the parents of those kids were active players and were in fact members of the same guild. I think this is what's really important, if you're son's going to play in an MMO then you should be an active participant as well. And I'd go even further and say that you should try to be present when he plays. The reason for this is that, as you're probably aware, there can be some very inappropriate chat in MMO's. Some of the public chat I've heard from teens or young adults on DAoC's servers involved drugs, sex, you name it. These occurrences were more the exception than the norm and in every case the chatters did get warned and some even banned, but I personally wouldn't want to take a chance that my kid got exposed to it without me being there. Being an active participant will also let you get feedback on whether your son is behaving appropriately. I highly recommend 1st finding a guild that already has some parents and their kids as members.

Based on the fact that LOTRO involves a struggle of Good vs Evil and the comments from other GT'ers here on it's content, it's a MMORGP I'd be comfortable playing with my son.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:02:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: