http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:40:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTORO Volume 2: Mines of Moria (paid, full-box expansion)  (Read 22773 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »

Turbine announced the 10-day free LOTRO: Mines of Moria trial is now open to anyone interested:
http://www.lotro.com/trial/

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3339016#post3339016
We're pleased to announce that the 10 day Free Trial for The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria is now open! If you have friends who have been waiting for an opportunity to try LOTRO, let them know they can start their free trial by visiting http://www.lotro.com/trial! Enjoy the game!
My only sort of semi-disappointment PUG wise in LOTRO is it's all very practical. People team up to complete quest A because it requires a group or they can't solo it, and then *poof* they exit the group as soon as that's done. I've found few teams ever that just wanted to group because it's fun and they might earn xp a little faster.

For whatever reason, I found a lot more PUG players in City of Heroes (in its heyday anyway, about 2004-2006) who wanted to group just for fun, would stick together for quite a while, even if it was just generally hosing down mobs. Lot of folks on my friends list there came about through that, and kept in touch for a long time after. I actually (outside of my kinship) have nobody on my LOTRO friends list that came about through pick up groups cause most folks would just as soon never hear from you again after you've helped them finish quest A. That's my experience anyway, maybe it's different on other servers. Nowadays I don't really have that expectation anymore. I've been ignored enough when trying to get back in touch with people I seemed to have an enjoyable PUG with not to bother anymore. Life has enough rejection as it is. icon_razz

Who knows. Maybe I'm not as charming as I was 4 years ago, I have body odor, maybe I'm expecting too much to make some regular buddies in MMOs as opposed to "help me finish Quest A, and then never chat with me ever again you clingy weirdo!"  Roll Eyes icon_lol The glass half full view is I feel more free to try other MMOs right now (revisiting AoC, etc.) cause I'm not "leaving behind" a bunch of friends in the game outside of a couple kinmates that are close to my time zone.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:48:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

I've made a few buddies via PUG'ing so far on Landroval across a few kinships because I'm rather chatty when grouping, and have bumped into some really friendly and nice folks. smile If I'm doing a quest, whether a designated fellowship one or not, I'm generally willing to team up if someone asks, but I do usually drop out once the quest(s) is done.

The reason I don't tend to group a lot because I just enjoy a relaxed stroll through Middle-Earth doing quests and hunting wildlife or servants of the Shadow as the opportunity strikes. That doesn't dovetail well into fellowing up with anyone since I just want to take things as the whim strikes me.

I'm not worried about progression speed at all, I'm just enjoying the journey. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

I've been playing full time again for now and got my hunter to 29, my RK to 22 and my captain to 21.  I really liked the warden but was becoming very disappointed at the dps they were putting out.  The RK as a dwarf was much, much tougher than the elf RK and made the 1-14 grind much easier.  Around 14 they really ramp up and at 22 I can easily handle multiple 22-23 mobs or a single 26 without much worry.  The only bad times now are when I'm disarmed because I lose all abilities.  There is no backup...I just have to stand there and take it.  They are also really good main healers at this level with no power issues at all. 

I also really like the captain, do really nice dps and don't understand the hate towards them.  Self healing, group buffs, heavy armor, 2H dps and a pet that tends to help more than hinder.  One of them will make it to 50 eventually so I can check out the expansion areas...I just don't know which one yet.  I may just keep splitting time between the three until they are all at least 30 before deciding.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 28, 2009, 05:30:02 PM

I also really like the captain, do really nice dps and don't understand the hate towards them.  Self healing, group buffs, heavy armor, 2H dps and a pet that tends to help more than hinder.  One of them will make it to 50 eventually so I can check out the expansion areas...I just don't know which one yet.  I may just keep splitting time between the three until they are all at least 30 before deciding.

Where have you seen hate for the captain class? My impression is that people like the class (especially to group with), but the majority doesn't want to play a support class with no clear role in a party. Also, captains don't really have much in the way of self-healing. There's the herald ability that is available when you use heralds (which most captains don't at higher levels), and a skill you can use once per minute or so at very high levels if you're specced as a healer-captain. Oh, and the healing shout, but that's so limited that it hardly counts (need to kill an enemy, upon which you get a 5-second window to use the skill). The captain is much, much better at healing others than at healing himself, which is considered one of his weaknesses.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »

Been meaning to try this out again so I'm downloading the free trial. I will see you guys in game when I finish the download.

*sigh* The free trial doesn't let former players use it apparently. Sucks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:55:33 AM by Tokek » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on January 29, 2009, 08:28:35 AM

Been meaning to try this out again so I'm downloading the free trial. I will see you guys in game when I finish the download.

*sigh* The free trial doesn't let former players use it apparently. Sucks.

Just sign up as BJ Peckerschwartz or something. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 28, 2009, 02:37:40 PM

For whatever reason, I found a lot more PUG players in City of Heroes (in its heyday anyway, about 2004-2006) who wanted to group just for fun, would stick together for quite a while, even if it was just generally hosing down mobs. Lot of folks on my friends list there came about through that, and kept in touch for a long time after.

The reason why PUGs work so well in Heroes is that not only does the game become easier after a certain point (the mobs just can't spawn high/hard enough to properly take on a group of 8, especially with a Defender or two), but the game becomes a ton more colorful and fast paced in the process. It's scary seeing the cheesegrater groups in action. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »

Just a note about the legendary weapons. You can actually start the Epic quest to get them at lvl 45. Once the quest line is done you will receive your first legendary item. I finished it at lvl 46 and had no problems with difficulty. The best part is that it's a solo quest line so you won't be dependent on other people to get your weapons. I'm noe lvl 47 and I have two legendary weapons over lvl 10.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 28, 2009, 10:59:43 PM

Quote from: ericb on January 28, 2009, 05:30:02 PM

Where have you seen hate for the captain class? My impression is that people like the class (especially to group with), but the majority doesn't want to play a support class with no clear role in a party. Also, captains don't really have much in the way of self-healing. There's the herald ability that is available when you use heralds (which most captains don't at higher levels), and a skill you can use once per minute or so at very high levels if you're specced as a healer-captain. Oh, and the healing shout, but that's so limited that it hardly counts (need to kill an enemy, upon which you get a 5-second window to use the skill). The captain is much, much better at healing others than at healing himself, which is considered one of his weaknesses.

And there is the biggest problem, especially for the new people.  Captains spend the first 20 levels with a personal off-tank, average self healing, really good dps and excellent solo ability.  After 20 they turn in a support role, group buffer and off tank.  Yes they are great in groups and the ones that stick it out are always welcome additions but it turns a lot of people off when that switch occurs.  No other class has quite that separation between early (1-25) and later (25-60) and that's where a lot of the hate comes in.  I loved the captain until 22 until I looked at the unavailable skills for later levels and realized my offensive ability at that point was pretty much set.  And it wasn't cutting it solo at 22 so I can imagine how bad it is after another 5-10 levels.  If I had someone to duo with on a steady basis I think I would stick with the captain because I really liked the class but since 90% of my time is solo I just can't.  Meanwhile my Champ, RK and Hunter (the three highest dps classes I know) continue to mow through everything with very little downtime or issues being solo.  I'm in a good kin too which helps but the majority of them are upper 40s or higher so no real low level help.

I really hope they fix the resists in book seven though as they are beginning to be really bad as I advance.  And the constant misses are just bad in general.  I think the combat revamp helped a lot overall but it really needs some tweaks (and the hundreds of vocal posts on the official forums tend to agree).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

I'm not sure you've played the captain enough, then. I have a level 56 captain (my main character), and while his style has evolved throughout his lifetime, he's still a solo powerhouse with very respectable DPS (of course, this is because I've specced him that way, but this is a choice that is entirely up to each player). I can solo creatures 5 levels above me with relative ease, though I can't readily fight elites unlike a few other classes (Lore Master, I'm looking at you!).

Saying that the captain is a pure support class is a common misconception. He can actually do pretty damn well at almost any role you want to give him, with a few exceptions, as long as you spec him for it. With MoM, he can now be an effective healer, an effective tank, or a pet controller (or any combination of the three). Heralds are always around, but the reason most people stop using them at higher levels is because they can be a hassle to drag around. They are still pulled up in situations that require them.

A critical hit from a captain's Devastating Blow skill is a sight to behold (not only because of the DPS, but because it also gives you the opportunity to immediately pull off your powerful kill-skills).
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 30, 2009, 08:18:29 PM

I'm not sure you've played the captain enough, then. I have a level 56 captain (my main character), and while his style has evolved throughout his lifetime, he's still a solo powerhouse with very respectable DPS (of course, this is because I've specced him that way, but this is a choice that is entirely up to each player). I can solo creatures 5 levels above me with relative ease, though I can't readily fight elites unlike a few other classes (Lore Master, I'm looking at you!).

Saying that the captain is a pure support class is a common misconception. He can actually do pretty damn well at almost any role you want to give him, with a few exceptions, as long as you spec him for it. With MoM, he can now be an effective healer, an effective tank, or a pet controller (or any combination of the three). Heralds are always around, but the reason most people stop using them at higher levels is because they can be a hassle to drag around. They are still pulled up in situations that require them.

A critical hit from a captain's Devastating Blow skill is a sight to behold (not only because of the DPS, but because it also gives you the opportunity to immediately pull off your powerful kill-skills).

I know.  And I know the captain is a powerhouse and very desired in the 45+ realm (really welcome at any time).  But right now my 17 champion was pulling off things that killed my 22 captain.  And making it look easy.  I really like the captain too...probably one of the most interesting classes I've played (and I've played them all except the burglar past 20) but the dps isn't there and the utility doesn't make up for it at that level (low 20s).  I'm not going to stop playing the captain either...I just don't have that much time to play and when my champ or rk is leveling twice as fast I knew where I'm going to concentrate first.  If I can ever talk to wife into playing then I'll probably play the capt full time as part of a duo but solo...meh.

Anyway, back on subject.  Any real news on book 7 yet?  I've heard RK dps is increasing at lower levels (5-30) and resistances are being tweaked.  Anything else coming out?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »

Finally, some new Book 7 info:

Rune Keeper Good News:

The Rune-keeper is gaining three new items in Book 7. As before, magnitudes are not being discussed, as they change often, and any of these may change as Book 7 draws closer.
- Chisel: This Ranged slot item can be crafted by Metalsmiths and will be sought after by all Rune-keepers. Higher quality chisels allow a Rune-keeper to etch more detailed and intricate runes on their stones. Doing so will passively increase damage and chances of avoiding resistance. To be clear, this is NOT a range weapon, just a item that resides in the Ranged slot.
- Inlays: Various metallic inlays can be created by Scholars and quickly applied to a Rune-stone. These are not simply cosmetic, as they will harden the Rune-stone, allowing the next induction skill to have reduced power cost and to be uninterruptable.
- Enamels: Enamels of a few different colours will also be craftable by Scholars. These enamels brighten the colour of a rune-stone, making it attune further in whatever direction it is already moving.

Burglar Bad News:

Is Burglar DPS a bit lower then it should be? Maybe. However, Burglars are not a primary DPS class, and no work being done on them is driving them towards that goal.

Warden:
Gambit lag bug fixed in B7
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:36:43 PM by ericb » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »

There was a dev chat on book 7 a while back. A site called "MMeOW" posted a log, fwiw:
http://mmeow.net/2009/02/developer-chat-log/

Normally I'd sift through it but it's been a long slog at work, so, have at it... Much is about Book 7, just keep in mind the devs have to play some things close to their vest, and generally players just barrage them with questions they can't directly answer yet.

I'm content on my AoC revisit, but I'll surely float back to LOTRO at some point.

I did finally get my own Captain into the 50s and into Moria content. I just find it a very "busy" (buffs and all) class to play and while the pets are useful, they're maybe not as impressive to watch as a piranha-like pet mob in AoC.

I get annoyed in MMOs when new players holler, "Tell me WHAT THE BEST CLASS IS IN THE GAME!!!" And I want to yell, "It's the class YOU HAVE THE MOST FUN PLAYING! SO try playing some!"   icon_razz So for me, the Hunter has been THE BEST CLASS IN THE GAME! And to some extent the reason I'm taking a break is my hunter hit the 60 cap, and the other classes I've tried I just don't have as much fun playing. Which isn't to say the other classes aren't effective or they aren't THE BEST CLASS IN THE GAME! Just, the fun factor hasn't been there for me with the other classes I've tried. Sorry about the all caps. I'm trying to parody new player chat is all.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:54:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2009, 01:30:04 AM »

Picked this up for $6 at Biglots and figured I would give it another go at that price.  which servers are you al lplaying on and how is the population of said servers? 

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »

Quote from: morlac on February 15, 2009, 01:30:04 AM

Picked this up for $6 at Biglots and figured I would give it another go at that price.  which servers are you al lplaying on and how is the population of said servers? 

Here's a fairly recent list of servers we are on.  The population on Landroval seems pretty active.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »

Quote from: morlac on February 15, 2009, 01:30:04 AM

Great to hear you picked it up. I am on Elendilmir in Scraper's guild and having a great time. I am still low level(20) to join them on quest, but the game seems to have a much more mature player base then WoW when I tried it. The population on the server seems to be good, not over crowded, but people around all the time.

If you get on Elendilmi look me up under the name Nekim.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »

Looks like I can't go wrong with either of those servers.  I'll make one on each to check um out smile

morlac00 on PSN
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 15, 2009, 03:28:59 AM

Looks like I can't go wrong with either of those servers.  I'll make one on each to check um out smile

Make sure to post your toons names so we can look you up.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2009, 12:08:18 AM »

I made a Captain on Elindilmir named  Calrohm, good stuff so far. 

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: