http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTORO Volume 2: Mines of Moria (paid, full-box expansion)  (Read 23001 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

Damn, I don't want to go to work tomorrow, but I have to! I've been playing the game for about 3.5 hours now, and have gone through more than half of Volume 1 Book 15 and Volume 2 Book 1 during that time. It's all awesome. They succeeded in making me feel like I'm actually helping the dwarves take back Moria (in small steps. They haven't even been able to get through Hollin Gate in the part of the story where I am so far).

There's so much new content that I feel almost overwhelmed, and leveling is extremely slow, as it should be at this stage. I've probably finished about 25 quests in MoM already, and I'm still only about 1/5 through level 50. smile

Can't wait until I get home tomorrow so I can dive deeper into the game. I think I just need to play one more hour before I can enter Moria itself, which should be fun.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »

I figure I'll keep puting updates about the expansion (not everything, just stuff that seems worth noting) here, and impressions in the new thread and we'll leave it nice and tidy at that.  icon_smile

They're still tossing around what to do about the Lost Crafting Tier bug. Even just bumping *everyone* to "the next anvil" in the problematic crafting tier has been bandied about, but not promised. I don't think they can realistically comb through the data on every character in the game and fix it individually.
http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=2541001&postcount=55

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »

An interesting little tidbit about the new "quest items on quest log pages instead of inventory" -- the dirty little secret is you still need an empty inventory spot for the quest item:

Getting "You do not have room", and item's not stacking?
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2545021#post2545021
Essentially, the way the new quest item system works is that the item has to go into your inventory before it can be moved to the quest log. It can't just go from the corpse to the log, despite how it actually looks. So the inventory spot remains open because the item moves from it to the quest log, but it has to exist so that the item can go there in the first place.
Talk about Zen.  icon_confused icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »

That's still not so awful.  Just one inventory slot needs to stay open, rather than the entire bag staying full of quest items Tongue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

While I appreciate that and the keyring, I'd really have preferred we all just get one complete extra bag. Most of us are dragging around a couple bags of food, and potions to begin with. Now that legendary items are dropping like rain drops in some areas, you'll run out of inventory space more rapidly even with the quest item change.

I still think they should have a really expensive Goat Mule you can drag around who just holds crap for later dumping off, see Dungeon Siege's Pack Mule:
http://ds.heavengames.com/gameinfo/packmule.html

Though I guess an MMO full of pack mules would drag everyone's frame rate to zero.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »

Moria Patch 1 Notes are up. It's in testing now:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2607761#post2607761

I couldn't even dream of pasting it in here.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »

Patch 1 went in, and servers are apparently back up after some extended downtime.

Turbine said that while the service tech is now in to fix the reset Tier 5 crafting profiency levels, actual implementation will take another day or so:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2859671#post2859671

Addendum:

They've explained their solution:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2861511#post2861511
We've basically created a special item ("Craft XP Token") which will be mailed to affected characters; we have a list of these, so you don't need to file tickets. Upon use, this item will complete any proficiency tiers the character has open.

From the notes:

a. Item is bind-on-acquire so it can’t be traded.
    b. Item is not sellable.
    c. Item is not able to be deleted by the player.
    d. Item is consumed when used.
    e. Item does not complete Tier 6 proficiencies.
    f. The item will become unusable on 2/1/2009

If you've already reached Tier 5 profiency, the item will disappear on use without doing anything.
Man, they must've had to do some major data-mining.  saywhat
===========

Oh geeze, there's always something. Apparently they mistakenly re-introduced a beta bug that had horse mounts making various random sounds every other second while riding.  saywhat
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=212521

============
Also, there's a new crash bug related to the crit version of the Tier 5 (Master) Black Ash Bow:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2873261#post2873261
We believe we have tracked this down to a specific item: The crit version of the Tier 5 Black Ash bow. If you had this on your character, you crash on login. If it was in your vault, you crash when you try to access the vault. If you create this bow, you'll crash (gratz on that critical success!). The recipe has been temporarily disabled. And please, don't buy it or even try it on if you see one on the Auction House - curiosity killed the cat, and it'll crash your client, too.

We're working on a fix for this right now with utmost urgency. Unfortunately it will require a hotfix, and it's unlikely that we can have this coded, built, and tested tomorrow so we're looking at first thing Wednesday to get it in at the soonest, if everything goes well.
No good patch goes unpunished.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:10:21 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2008, 03:50:21 AM »

Not sure what happened, but my performance took a huge hit with this patch.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »

Dunno, you might check if the patch reset your graphics options?  icon_confused

They made some changes that should improve performance in some previously laggy areas. The 21st Hall has been revamped to put the crafting spots and auction house inside separate bunkers (which for me removed slowdown in that area).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »

I went ahead and picked up the issue of Online Massive Gamer (it's available at Barnes & Noble if anyone's curious) that has a code for a free Cloak of the Cold Well item:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=200491

If you're cheap, you could of course just sit there and scribble the code down  icon_twisted. It's on Page 1, table of contents, lower right corner, just inside the cover. It has an interesting look, as far as capes go.

I haven't really read the magazine itself much. The late Massive magazine, sister to the equally late Computer Games mag, seemed a lot more fun, and there's a pricey UK PC games magazine I like that's sort of hamstrung by its print deadlines and the time it takes for it to reach U.S. magazine rack shelves, but does cover MMOs pretty extensively.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:51:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

Does that cloak have any stats or is it just decoration?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »

As with the pre-order capes, the Cloak of the Cold Well is largely useless (+2 non-combat morale region), and mostly of interest for cosmetics if you're into Hoodies.  icon_razz Unless LOTRO goes micro-transactions some horrible day, I don't think they'll ever make pre-order or "code from a magazine" items with any stats remotely impressive.

Here's the Lorebook entry, fwiw:
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Armour:Cloak_of_the_Cold_Well

Gawd. Today I deconstructed Level 10 and Level 7 legendary weapons I'd been leveling, and got no heritage runs at all. GAH!  saywhat I guess it says you *may* get a heritage rune but I'd always gotten at least something along those lines when I deconstructed before. I'm finally working on my captain again, but I just have struggled a bit to find a legendary weapon I want to use. I finally got a Club with some good starting legacies (all damage improvers), but having thrown away 17 levels of weapon leveling is a bit annoying.  mad icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:56:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 04, 2009, 05:52:53 PM

Gawd. Today I deconstructed Level 10 and Level 7 legendary weapons I'd been leveling, and got no heritage runs at all. GAH!  saywhat I guess it says you *may* get a heritage rune but I'd always gotten at least something along those lines when I deconstructed before. I'm finally working on my captain again, but I just have struggled a bit to find a legendary weapon I want to use. I finally got a Club with some good starting legacies (all damage improvers), but having thrown away 17 levels of weapon leveling is a bit annoying.  mad icon_smile

level the item to 11 and you are guaranteed a heritage rune.  I do this all the time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 04, 2009, 05:52:53 PM

The way deconstructing works for legendary weapons is a bit strange, and something I hope Turbine will change at some point. You get no xp from deconstructing level 1-10 items, then once the item reaches level 11, it suddenly gives xp. Until level 21, the amount of xp doesn't increase though. The amount of xp you receive increases at levels 11, 21, 31, and 41. What this means is that for a weapon you plan to eventually deconstruct, its last 9 levels will be a waste of time unless you really need the stats. Also, since you can never regain any relics you place into the weapon at its max level, even when deconstructing, the system discourages you from adding relics to your best items. I don't think they thought this completely through.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »

I ordered this from Amazon over the weekend, so I hope to get it in a couple days.  I've been getting a little bored of WoW lately, so I'm excited to try a new MMO.  icon_smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2009, 02:40:49 AM »

I am in and enjoying the game. After picking the game up at BestBuy for 19.99 this has to be the best deal for a game right now. Hopefully I level up to play with people in the game. Anybody on Elendilmir look for me - name Nekim.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40:44 AM »

I haven't picked up Moria yet, but I will before too long. I've been thoroughly enjoying my latest jaunt with just the vanilla LOTRO.

Tonight I took what I found to be a pretty nice screenie of an elven camp in the Northlands...
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

I had played LOTRO when it first came out and ended up not playing after a week or so.  It just wasn't clicking with me at the time.  This weekend however, I signed up again and started playing.  Having an absolute BLAST this time around!  Maybe it's changes in the game, maybe I picked a better character type (lvl 13 Champion) but it is definitely resonating with me now.  The player base also seems much nicer.  Look up Alaros on Elendilmir.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

Just want to mention that I switched over to Windows 7 this weekend and LOTRO runs so much better it's amazing.  Coming from XP I not only get 15-20fps more (with the same settings) but I also get the benefit of the directx 10 enhancements (Windows 7 comes with directx 11) and it loads quicker.  I've never gotten 60 fps in Bree before with every option on highest or next to highest (except for shadows which look amazing at medium).  I have it locked at 60 but before it was locked I was looking at 90-120 fps in the starting areas.

Putting some more time in now that I have a 80 and a 79 in WoW...I WILL hit Moria one day.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2009, 01:02:53 AM »

Here's some Legendary item news of interest to high end folks whose items have reached their level cap (30 for regular legendary items, but you can get rare items that level up to 50):

Re: Please Permit Unslotting of Relics on Decon of Max Level Items
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=3294231#post3294231
The arrival of Book 7 should resolve this issue for items that have reached their final re-forge. The slotted relics will be refunded when such an item is deconstructed. Relics in items that have not reached their cap will still be destroyed.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 13, 2009, 03:58:49 PM

Just want to mention that I switched over to Windows 7 this weekend and LOTRO runs so much better it's amazing.  Coming from XP I not only get 15-20fps more (with the same settings) but I also get the benefit of the directx 10 enhancements (Windows 7 comes with directx 11) and it loads quicker.  I've never gotten 60 fps in Bree before with every option on highest or next to highest (except for shadows which look amazing at medium).  I have it locked at 60 but before it was locked I was looking at 90-120 fps in the starting areas.

Putting some more time in now that I have a 80 and a 79 in WoW...I WILL hit Moria one day.

I switched over from XP too, my problem is that when I run the game on my 4:3 monitor the game dsiplays in 16:9, with the black bars at the top and bottom. If I select auto size, 4:3, or 16:9 it it doesn't change anything. Any ideas? I'm running a Geforce 8800gt with the updated nvidia driver from windows update.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 15, 2009, 10:02:02 PM

Quote from: ericb on January 13, 2009, 03:58:49 PM

I switched over from XP too, my problem is that when I run the game on my 4:3 monitor the game dsiplays in 16:9, with the black bars at the top and bottom. If I select auto size, 4:3, or 16:9 it it doesn't change anything. Any ideas? I'm running a Geforce 8800gt with the updated nvidia driver from windows update.

Have you tried getting the newest drivers from Nvidia's site rather than Windows update?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »

OK...need some advice from those who've pushed through the majority of Middle Earth. Where would you go to quest alone from 35-40?

Would Fornost City have any soloable quests? What about Evendim?

I'm currently level 34, soloed just about everything I can around Bree-land, the North Downs, and the Lone-Lands, plus would like to stay in the general area at least until I have a mount to make long trips more tolerable. I'm on Brandywine, so the population is high enough that I never have an issues finding a fellowship for the huge amount of group quests I have...but I just don't always have enough time to really commit to a fellowship and hate to bail on one after a 1/2 hour in the midst of some huge battle...makes me feel dirty.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Booner on January 19, 2009, 02:32:49 PM

OK...need some advice from those who've pushed through the majority of Middle Earth. Where would you go to quest alone from 35-40?

Would Fornost City have any soloable quests? What about Evendim?

I'm currently level 34, soloed just about everything I can around Bree-land, the North Downs, and the Lone-Lands, plus would like to stay in the general area at least until I have a mount to make long trips more tolerable. I'm on Brandywine, so the population is high enough that I never have an issues finding a fellowship for the huge amount of group quests I have...but I just don't always have enough time to really commit to a fellowship and hate to bail on one after a 1/2 hour in the midst of some huge battle...makes me feel dirty.

There are some great quests for you in Evindim. Make sure to grab Reforging the Sword from Aragorn in Rivendale. This is a long quest line that mostly takes place in Evindim. You can also find soloable stuff in the Trollshaws. So Evindim and Trollshaws.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »

Evendim, Trollshaws, and Misty Mountains once you get a little closer to 40. Don't obsess over the mount. It doesn't make travel that much faster in dangerous areas anyway, as you'll just get knocked off your horse if something gets aggro too close to you.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 19, 2009, 04:27:36 PM

There are some great quests for you in Evindim. Make sure to grab Reforging the Sword from Aragorn in Rivendale. This is a long quest line that mostly takes place in Evindim. You can also find soloable stuff in the Trollshaws. So Evindim and Trollshaws.

Perfect!

If I can bang out that last 1/2 level to 35 in Evendim, then complete my horse quests, I'll be ready to mount up and head to Rivendale. I've been wanting/needing to get out there anyways, and now I have even more reason to do so.

Quote from: TiLT on January 19, 2009, 04:32:51 PM

Evendim, Trollshaws, and Misty Mountains once you get a little closer to 40. Don't obsess over the mount. It doesn't make travel that much faster in dangerous areas anyway, as you'll just get knocked off your horse if something gets aggro too close to you.

Too late...the obsession is there. What self-respecting hero walks when they could ride? icon_razz

I have the coin, I like to quickly explore things off the beaten path...but I just hate running from camp A to camp B when some of the distances you have to cover are quite long.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »

Well, I've been playing for a little over a week now and have to say I'm completely in love with this game!! The storyline and the locations are what really hit this one home for me; everything is exactly where it should be geographically and the look is just perfect.  I played a few different characters and settled on a level 18 Champion on the roleplaying server.  I'm not sure how many characters I will level up, but I'm going to at least take this one up to 60 and enjoy the ride.  I find myself not much caring about levels right now... I'm just enjoying doing all the quests and deeds that are available.

Of note, I've never played an MMO with a more mature playerbase than this one.  Never a problem finding help with quests or people being asses.  It's a nice change.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on January 19, 2009, 06:34:11 PM

Well, I've been playing for a little over a week now and have to say I'm completely in love with this game!! The storyline and the locations are what really hit this one home for me; everything is exactly where it should be geographically and the look is just perfect.  I played a few different characters and settled on a level 18 Champion on the roleplaying server.  I'm not sure how many characters I will level up, but I'm going to at least take this one up to 60 and enjoy the ride.  I find myself not much caring about levels right now... I'm just enjoying doing all the quests and deeds that are available.

Of note, I've never played an MMO with a more mature playerbase than this one.  Never a problem finding help with quests or people being asses.  It's a nice change.

The player base is definitely a huge improvement over WoW. Rarely have I been pissed at another player in this game. Most of the time people go out of their way to be friendly, not steal a kill, help out, etc. It's a nice change of pace.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on January 19, 2009, 06:34:11 PM

The storyline and the locations are what really hit this one home for me; everything is exactly where it should be geographically and the look is just perfect.

That's why I find myself coming back over and over. It just feels 'right' for some reason...I believe it's partly due to the landscape as it transitions nicely from meadows to rolling hills to high peaks, etc. There just isn't anything jarring to take you out of the mood.

Mechanically anything that LOTRO does, there are other MMOs that does it better, yet LOTRO is more consistent as a whole. There's just nothing that's poorly done.

I'll second this. Now...last night things got a bit testy between some fellowship members during an unusually nasty battle in Dol Denin, where one member was slacking by not staying 'awake' during the fight and was called on it by another...he was offended, had a couple words with the other fella, they said their piece, then we pushed forward. At no time did it ever get down to name-calling though....that was a refreshing change. smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:07 PM »

I registered my copy of Mines of Moria and played a bit over the weekend (lvl 25 Machili on Landroval) and I think I remember one of the things that leads me to stop playing for a while: quests with vague directions/locations in them. 

There are many that say "go North and a bit west of Blahdibium and find Whosarham", but I have no idea how far in any direction to go and even though I can see terrain for miles I can't always see characters or structures in the distance so I think nothing is there when in fact there is (I have all view distances maxed). 

I like exploring in these games, but between the vague directions in a large open world, the nearly usless world map and my lack of memory for all the names in the lore I have a hard time keeping my interest when I can't find something.  I often have quests for a few levels below because I gave up trying to find them and figure I might wander in the right direction sooner or later.

Another thing that kind of stinks is that at level 25 my character really looks no cooler than he did at level 5.  I realize it is supposed to be more realistic than something like WoW with it's over-the-top uber gear, but it is a bit of a letdown to get some sweet new gear and find it looks pretty much just like your old gear.

Anyway, despite those issues this is still a fun game.  I'm not sure how long my interest will last this time, but hopefully long enough to make my purchase of Mines of Moria worthwhile.  If only I could find a legendary weapon (or three)...

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 19, 2009, 07:57:07 PM

I think I remember one of the things that leads me to stop playing for a while: quests with vague directions/locations in them. 

There are many that say "go North and a bit west of Blahdibium and find Whosarham", but I have no idea how far in any direction to go and even though I can see terrain for miles I can't always see characters or structures in the distance so I think nothing is there when in fact there is (I have all view distances maxed). 

I know it's not optimal, but http://lotro.mmodb.com/quests/ is very helpful for when you can't find things. Generally what you want is marked on the maps and coordinates are in the notes. You should try the hunter quests for new ports... you don't know vague.  icon_evil

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »

Anyway, despite those issues this is still a fun game.  I'm not sure how long my interest will last this time, but hopefully long enough to make my purchase of Mines of Moria worthwhile.  If only I could find a legendary weapon (or three)...

I'm sure you already know, but just in case: You won't get a legendary weapon until you're ready to enter Moria itself, which will probably be at level 48+.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 20, 2009, 02:07:49 PM

I think I remember one of the things that leads me to stop playing for a while: quests with vague directions/locations in them. 

I know it's not optimal, but http://lotro.mmodb.com/quests/ is very helpful for when you can't find things. Generally what you want is marked on the maps and coordinates are in the notes. You should try the hunter quests for new ports... you don't know vague.  icon_evil

Thanks for the link, I actually found that last night after searching through another LOTRO thread.  It helps for those vague quests where I wander around lost, but for some reason it kind of ruins it for me, you know?  Almost like I'm cheating or something.

Quote from: TiLT on January 20, 2009, 02:16:34 PM

I'm sure you already know, but just in case: You won't get a legendary weapon until you're ready to enter Moria itself, which will probably be at level 48+.

Really?  I actually didn't know that.  I thought that there were lower level Legendary weapons as well.  I guess I won't be getting one of those any time soon, if ever.  frown
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:56:08 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 20, 2009, 03:51:45 PM

Quote from: TiLT on January 20, 2009, 02:16:34 PM

Really?  I actually didn't know that.  I thought that there were lower level Legendary weapons as well.  I guess I won't be getting one of those any time soon, if ever.  frown

I got my first at 45 I think with a level 50 friend helping me run through the moria starter quests. I got a second at 50, but I've yet to do anything inside Moria. Honestly, it doesn't take all that long to get to 50 at least in MMO terms.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 20, 2009, 05:31:37 PM

I got my first at 45 I think with a level 50 friend helping me run through the moria starter quests. I got a second at 50, but I've yet to do anything inside Moria. Honestly, it doesn't take all that long to get to 50 at least in MMO terms.

I've been playing on and off for a year and my highest level character is now 26.  I do seem to be leveling faster than I used to, although that may just be perception because I've been playing quite a bit lately.  Still, I have a long way to go before 50.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion to pick up "The Blade That Was Broken" quest arc. After moving into Evendim, I quickly pushed through 35, went to the Horse-Fields to grab my mount, and then finally made it to Rivendell. After returning to Evendim to work this arc, there was enough solo content that I shot through 36 and almost to 37 in just an evening.

I have to say....damn! There is tons and tons of content in the game. My questbook stays almost full and there is just no way to get to it all. I'll pick up quests when I first get to a new camp, but sometimes I'll come back to one after working other arcs and it is already greyed out. Is it worth taking on grey quests? If not, I guess it gives me a reason to eventually start an alt. smile

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Booner on January 21, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Is it worth taking on grey quests? If not, I guess it gives me a reason to eventually start an alt. smile

Unless the quest is to unlock a skill for your class or get a cool appearance item, the only reason to do a grey quest is for the do N quests in a zone deeds.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 21, 2009, 02:53:32 PM

Quote from: Booner on January 21, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Is it worth taking on grey quests? If not, I guess it gives me a reason to eventually start an alt. smile

Unless the quest is to unlock a skill for your class or get a cool appearance item, the only reason to do a grey quest is for the do N quests in a zone deeds.

Yeah I would agree, the only real reason to do grey quests is for Deed work or loot drops.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »

Another week and still going strong.  The more I play, the more I appreciate the differences in userbases.  My playing style in MMOs has always been very much solo; I might join an instance group from time to time, but even then it was when I specifically knew someone in the group (completely random PUGs were never something I wanted to do). 

I have now grouped countless times with random people and have yet to meet a single asshat.  Everyone is very courteous and enjoyable to play with and even OOC chat is generally fine (I can only think of maybe two times when people were being jagoffs on OOC chat).  I've even managed to make some in-game friends, joined a great kinship (guild) and am having a fantastic time.  My playtime now seems to be 50/50 between solo and group questing.

The story/lore is also still going very strong.  I've never played an MMO with such a strong and cohesive story element between zones.  Every quest from the large multi-step chains to the smallest fetch/fed-ex quest fits into the larger story flawlessly.

Currently my champion is up to level 29, questing in North Downs, have the money for my 35 mount in the bank and am saving for one of the nicer houses.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »

I have to agree; I've never been so willing to PUG in an mmo before, but I haven't turned down an offer to group yet. Granted, I still run solo mostly, but I keep an eye on local chat and if I see a group forming up for quests I haven't done yet, I'm more than happy to pipe up and join in. smile The worst I've seen yet in any of the groups I've joined was recently, and it amounted to one player who was either a kid or a quite immature adult who was simply incapable of working in a team. They were polite and well-intentioned, just incompetent. biggrin I don't say that in a derogatory way, just a matter-of-fact.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: