http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:52:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTORO Volume 2: Mines of Moria (paid, full-box expansion)  (Read 22993 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:01 AM »

I came across this screenshot of a legendary weapon for captains yesterday. I *WANT* that weapon! smile Compared to the weapons we have today, that thing is absolutely insane, and it really feels like a captain's weapon instead of just a generic weapon used by a captain.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 04, 2008, 07:49:01 AM

I came across this screenshot of a legendary weapon for captains yesterday. I *WANT* that weapon! smile Compared to the weapons we have today, that thing is absolutely insane, and it really feels like a captain's weapon instead of just a generic weapon used by a captain.

I wanted to point out, in case people didn't know, that the reason that weaponis called Trollsmasah is because you can name these weapons yourself.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »

Massively.com had a pretty cool dev tour of the new areas both above-ground (in Eregion, off the Trollshaws) and Moria itself, including about 43 images.

If you prefer a sense of discovery when you actually play it, you may want to not view it.  icon_neutral I found it useful as far as knowing how to reach the new areas, among other things.

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/01/massivelys-exclusive-mines-of-moria-dev-tour/

Since I had been away from the game so long, when I stumbled into some of the content/places/quests the Book 10 update added way back when (off Evindem, and in the Trollshaws) for roughly 40-45 content, it was a really pleasant surprise - I hadn't read about any of it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:00:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 06, 2008, 12:58:08 PM

Since I had been away from the game so long, when I stumbled into some of the content/places/quests the Book 10 update added way back when (off Evindem, and in the Trollshaws) for roughly 40-45 content, it was a really pleasant surprise - I hadn't read about any of it.

Tal Bruinen is a great little place to do some questing. It's also got one of the most memorable quests in the entire game. It involves a certain character from the books...
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 06, 2008, 01:44:50 PM

Tal Bruinen is a great little place to do some questing. It's also got one of the most memorable quests in the entire game. It involves a certain character from the books...

Yeah, that quest was awesome.  I kept thinking the character was going to show up and when the character did, I squealed with nerdish delight.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »

I kept thinking the character was going to show up and when the character did, I squealed with nerdish delight.
Is it Spock? Singing the "Bilbo song"? icon_lol

I gotta say, the one quest with "look" in bright red letters still needs a "LOTRO for Dummies" explanation (maybe a pop-up explanation when you hover your mouse on the "look" in the quest description) to use the /look emote. I musta spent 15 minutes trying to "visually" look up where it says to look (because I misinterpeted the directions), before I pulled up an LOTRO database site on my Acer Aspire One and some helpful comments posters explained what to do.

I've enjoyed the quests there (more so than in Forochel off Evindem, fwiw). And the one involving the two NPCs and their "battle" over soup ingredients is pretty funny, with pretty nice quest rewards.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:36:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 06, 2008, 07:34:47 PM

I gotta say, the one quest with "look" in bright red letters still needs a "LOTRO for Dummies" explanation (maybe a pop-up explanation when you hover your mouse on the "look" in the quest description) to use the /look emote. I musta spent 15 minutes trying to "visually" look up where it says to look (because I misinterpeted the directions), before I pulled up an LOTRO database site on my Acer Aspire One and some helpful comments posters explained what to do.

In my first encounter with a quest that requires you to use the /look emote, it felt like the game hammered it in. I seem to remember getting at least one pop-up about it. It might have been a different quest though, perhaps part of the Epic quests (Book 11, most likely).
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

There is one where you have to show respect to someone in a similar way with a / command.  I thought it was very cool.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »

Turbine posted some dev diaries on advancement from 50 to 60 with 3 of the classes (burglar, hunter, lore-master):
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2279432#post2279432

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 10:23:58 PM »

Some cool news for people constantly running out of inventory space - Moria will change the handling of quest items and "key rings" to try to slim down the personal inventory mess.

Some info here:
http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=2282704&postcount=262

Basically, most quest items will go into the quest book and no longer eat up inventory space (unless they require you use or interact with them in some way).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »

That is very good news.  I am always running out of space.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »

Nov. 18 announced as the release date for both North America and Europe:
http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/226-turbine-unveils-launch-date-pre-order-and-early-upgrade-programs-for-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-mines-of-moria-

Pretty cool - they are bringing back both the $199.99 lifetime option, and the $9.99 monthly (IF choosing a multi-month subscription).  icon_smile

Note below that while they *look* the same, digital pre-orders get a couple of more tokens for unique, in-game items.

MINES OF MORIA RETAIL PRE-ORDER [non-digital] PROGRAM* DETAILS
Players who pre-order Mines of Moria and purchase The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria Complete Edition or Collector’s Edition qualify for the following special pre-order benefits:

Pre-order Pricing

* Only $9.99 per month when choosing a multi-month subscription plan!

OR

* Just $199 for a Lifetime Membership!

Pre-order In-game items

* The Cloak of Sunset, a unique cloak emblazoned with an image of the Hollin Gate.
    * An exclusive in-game Moria character title - “Moria Expeditionary”.
    * 1 in-game token, which allows players to choose 1 of 8 unique in-game items after launch

Bonus Music CD -- Limited edition of the special extended Shadows of Angmar™ Soundtrack with a special bonus track from Mines of Moria.

This exciting Pre-order Program offer is available for a limited time from participating retailers until November 18, 2008 when The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria commercially launches in North America.   For more information, please visit www.lotro.com/moria.

MINES OF MORIA DIGITAL EARLY UPGRADE PROGRAM** DETAILS
Current and former players of The Lord of The Rings Online who purchase an early digital upgrade to Mines of Moria qualify for the following special early upgrade benefits:

Early Upgrade Pricing

* Only $9.99 per month when choosing a multi-month subscription plan!

OR

* Just $199 for a Lifetime Membership!

Early Upgrade In-game items

* The Cloak of Sunset, a unique cloak emblazoned with an image of the Hollin Gate which will be available to players upon upgrading
    * An exclusive in-game Moria character title - “Moria Expeditionary” which will be available to players upon upgrading
    * 3 in-game tokens, which allows players to choose 3 of 8 unique in-game items after Mines of Moria launches

This exciting Early Upgrade Program offer is available for a limited time until November 18, 2008 when The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria commercially launches in North America.  For more information, please visit www.lotro.com/moria.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:48:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »

With either of these upgrades is it assumed that a free month of play will be given, as when LOTRO was first bought?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »

They've started an official Q&A thread since the more information they give out, the more questions players have.  icon_smile

Reload this Page  Official Mines of Moria Pre-order Questions and Answers thread
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2285119#post2285119
What’s the difference between the Pre-order Program and the Early Upgrade Program?

The Early Upgrade Program allows most existing subscribers and free trial players to digitally upgrade their accounts to Mines of Moria through the game’s launcher or at https://myaccount.turbine.com effective as of the Mines of Moria launch.

The Pre-order Program allows new players and existing subscribers to create or prepare their account for a future purchase of the physical game at retail (such as The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria Complete Edition or The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria Collector’s Edition).

I'm not going to try to understand it all. I feel like they need to make a flow chart or something.  icon_confused icon_razz

I *know* if you buy either of the "physical" retail packages (I might be inclined to pre-order the "complete" version just to save download time if I ever need to re-install), it includes 30 free days. I'm not clear on if you receive 30 free days if getting the digital Moria upgrade alone (though I know it too brings back the $199.99 lifetime and $9.99 monthly-with-multimonth-plans option).

Don't take that as gospel - I just haven't seen the 30 free days mentioned for the digital upgrade to this point. Maybe it's mentioned somewhere else.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:46:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

After scouring the site, it looks like the digital upgrade won't include the 30 day free game time.  This is a listed benefit for the physical copies, but omitted from the digital upgrade benefits.  So, while the physical copy is $10 more expensive, you're given $10 in gaming time... considering it took over a full day to download all the updates when I played over the free weekend the choice seems clear.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56:53 PM »

What's the CHOICE? You're killing us with the cliffhangar ending!  drool

One interesting thing is that you can't get the digital upgrade in the states of Texas or Washington. Turbine's current billing system apparently can't handle how they assess/bill taxes there for now:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2286068#post2286068

The main advantage of the digital download is you'll in theory be able to breeze onto Moria with only a relatively minor update on Moria's launch day. That is, you'll have downloaded everything needed for Mora before launch day, save for about the last 10% of the files necessary - if I'm reading Marketroid's posts correctly. Me I'm just more comfortable having a physical box, I know it makes no sense.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:59:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »

A Community rep tried to clarify the improvements/changes that everyone enjoys after Moria's release *even* if you don't buy Mines of Moria period:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2286544#post2286544
Let's break it down.

Key rings, Quest item storage (in the quest journal), Trait Sets, Crafting Guilds, the entire area of Eregion [Eregion is a huge new region south of Rivendell and far east of the Trollshaws and Tal Bruinen, and... oh crap I sound like an LOTRO quest description!-Bj icon_razz], Creeps autoleveling to 60, and Volume I Book 15 (the end of the SoA Epic story line) are all free content and game changes available to everyone.

Anything beyond Eregion (Moria, Volume II Epic Quest, et al), leveling to 60 (for freeps), new crafting tiers, 2 New classes (Rune-keeper and Warden), 2 additional character slots, New legendary Items, traits, Skills, and all the other amazing goodness we've created (whether we've told you about it yet or not ) is all exclusively for those who have purchased MoM.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:44:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

Something to keep in mind - traditionally expansions of MMOs (like this, or say any of the WoW expansions) do not include the free monthly time IF you're a current account holder. If you're a brand new subscriber, and you purchase the combo pack that includes the expansion (see here, or EQ2), then you'll get the free month. But if you currently own an account, no matter if it's closed or not, you won't get the free month.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »

Turbine's trying their best to answer questions and resolve numerous billing issues that are already cropping up (including people being able to do the digital upgrade in Texas and Washington state who shouldn't be able to), along with various upgrade problems, but I think I'm going to stay away until next week. I'll let other people play phone tag resolving billing issues and billing software bugs.  icon_neutral

The devs posted a photo of the production sample of the collector's edition map. It's nice, I don't know if it'll be any more useful than the Ultima Online map that I *still* have hanging by a pin on my computer room wall here.  icon_razz
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2286965#post2286965
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:12:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »

Turbine posted a lot of info on the in-game tokens and rewards, depending on where you pre-order from, and if you upgrade digitally or by box:

Explanation of Mines of Moria™ in-game tokens and rewards
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2292744#post2292744
Each player that purchases the Mines of Moria™Pre-Order gets one in-game item token.
*If a player purchases the Complete Edition, they get two in-game item tokens.

*If they purchase the Collector’s Edition or participate in the Early Upgrade, they get three in-game item tokens.

It all adds together (so a player who Pre-Orders the Collector's Edition gets a total of 4 in-game item tokens).

Once Moria launches, these in-game item tokens will appear in characters' inventories as Ithildin Coins. Players will be able to take these coins to a vendor and choose any of 8 items (each costing 1 coin) when Moria launches on 11/18.

Players are free to stock up on multiples of the same item if they so choose (such as potions).

Pre-order: Anyone who Pre-Orders (including the Early Upgrade) also gets the Cloak of Sunset and the Moria Expeditionary title. If they pre-order from GameStop, they also get the Deep Miner’s Helm and the Seeker of Khazad-dum title (these are exclusive through GameStop).

All of these are live in the game, so a current player that applies a Pre-Order or Early Upgrade to their account will get these when they redeem their keys.

Early Upgrade: Players who upgrade through Turbine receive the Cloak of Durin’s Crown when Moria launches on 11/18. This is an exclusive only available to Early Upgrade customers.
The stuff they mention include a few nice potion defense sets, a couple housing decorations, a pocket item with a modest run speed buff, and a horn.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »

Turbine posted dev diaries outlining the 50+ goodies for the Champion, Minstrel and new Rune-Keeper classes:

Developer Diaries: Champion, Minstrel, and Rune-keeper Advancement Beyond Level 50!
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2299839#post2299839

I'm probably going to do the $29.99 digital upgrade this week some time. They seem to have worked out the billing and billing software kinks that were cropping up initially, and I just wanted to wait those out a bit.

I kinda wish now I'd done the lifetime billing back when it released. I went for the $9.99 monthly, but canceled when I had stopped playing several months. Now I'm re-hooked, but I don't know if I can see myself playing it in 20+ months, which is roughly mathematically about how much time you'd have to put into it for the $199.99 lifetime to be "worth it." Though maybe it's just better to look at it as a way you can leave/visit the game as you like over time without worrying about reactivating or re-billing.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »

Argh, they're keeping the captain information for last, the bastards!

Tongue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »

Yeah, I need some inspiration to get back to my 48 captain so I know how you feel.  crybaby I've got my hunter nearing 43, so I'm hoping to get those two at least on the cusp of 50 by the time Moria releases.

Update: dev post reminded that everyone (even if you didn't get Moria) will have a large patch to download so that you can properly interact with the new classes, and players that have the post 50 stuff; and that servers will be down longer than usual on Moria launch day while they prep all the servers for the mega-updating of the game.
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2300456#post2300456
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:03:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »

Dev diary up about the new warden class, a spears/javelin specialist capable of some tanking and "drain-healing" (my term) over time.
http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/239-developer-diary-creating-a-new-class-the-warden

There's a bigscreen pic of the Warden in action, though I'm more impressed with the enemy he's fighting.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »

There still seems much hand-wringing at the official boards that "The new class is going to make my class redundant/unworthy/no-longer-necessary, waaaah, I hate you Turbine!"  crybaby

Devs tried to assuage (big English major word I almost never use  icon_razz) concerns a bit:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2304415#post2304415
Wardens have an entire new set of combat animations including a new base combat stance. They don't use any of the old combat animations. ...

Javelins are made by woodworkers. [My woodworker Hunter's ears perk up - some stuff I can hawk at the Auction House eventually icon_smile]

Guardians not made obsolete by Wardens!
I can tell you that Wardens focused entirely on keeping aggro become much more squishy as they depend on short term defensive buffs and HoT's to make up for lack of armor mitigation. Wardens have a very careful balancing act between keeping themselves alive while still generating enough threat. I can tell you that Warden's don't have the big box of tricks that Guardians have to gain or re-gain aggro.
My surface impression is Wardens are a lot more "micro-managing" intensive as far as tanking goes, and are limited to medium armor.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »

They posted a Warden Mastery feature article (6-pages):
http://www.lotro.com/news/latestnews/240-feature-articlewarden-mastery
As a class, the Warden strikes a new balance between defense and offense. It’s not a straightforward tank like the Guardian, or a focused damage-dealer like the Hunter. It stands midway between those classes, combining flexibility and power to provide an exciting solo-play experience and a valuable new anchor for fellowships.

The Warden is simple to learn and play, but it rewards careful attention and clever planning in ways that no other class does. Some classes reliably play the same no matter who is at the controls, but the Warden lets your own style, gameplay choices, and expertise shine through. It’s a unique, richly interactive class with more than one road to mastery.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »

Blackjack and others:

I'm interested in hearing your opinion about the Mines, especially in relation to what I posted on the other LOTRO thread (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,22025.0.html).  My main comlaint was a lack of excitement and a lack of real sense of adventure while playing LOTRO.  However, the mines expansion is intriguing in that it might give me that sense of exploration I've been wanting, as well as 60(!) new instances that should be a lot of fun for a group-PvE healer like myself.  I like WAR - the character classes are great and so it the RvR - but I'm jonesing for a PvE experience too and I don't like the direction WoW is taking.

So what can you tell us about the expansion?  Details man, details!  Sell us on Middle Earth again!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »

When you read the word "instances" for LOTRO, it doesn't mean the same thing as in WoW. The actual number of new group instances that will take time to go through is probably going to be closer to 8 or so, possibly less. LOTRO instances are often more story-based, and occasionally even solo, and they usually take 15 minutes or less to complete. On the other hand, the big instances in LOTRO feel far more epic than I can remember any WoW instance to be (before the expansions, at least. I stopped playing before them).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »

Saw some neat stuff in this Gaming Nexus interview on Moria -- including *new* pets for Captains and Lore-Masters.  icon_cool [Perhaps revealed elsewhere, it at least seemed news to me]

Interview with Creative Director Cardell Kerr

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Default.aspx?Section=Article&I=1995
In Moria, we’ve added Trait sets, which are effectively methods for specializing your class towards specific roles. Both the Loremaster and the Captain have the ability to focus solely on their pets, unlocking new pets, that are appropriate to each class’ nature, not just to Moria proper.

In the case of the Captain, they unlock the ability to enlist a trusty archer to help you deal with the hordes of evil arrayed against you. In the case of the Loremaster’s, they unlock the ability to summon one of the boglurkers, creatures that are ancient friends of nature.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:39:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

Archer pets for captains? Interesting... I can see that being useful in a few cases, but I'll still stick with my war and victory banners. smile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

I've done the early upgrade at this point but I'm not going to resume my sub until the week before the expansion.  I am really looking forward to the new classes and plan on playing both over my existing ones. 

Is MoM considered book 15 or does book 15 come out before/with MoM?
Any sites have some detailed info on the Runekeeper?  It looks like the lore fighting is so bad on the official site that actual details are hard to find.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

After playing Warhammer exclusively for awhile now, I jumped back into LotRO over the weekend for about a half hour just to do some comparing.  I find it amazing just how excellent the graphics look in Lord of the Rings Online.  Is there a technical reason for this?  Is it because they don't have to worry about RvR and massive amounts of players in one spot that they can have such great graphics, or is it just a really good engine Turbine is using?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »

The dev diary on the Rune-keeper might be a better place to learn about it than the forums:

Developer Diary: The Rune-keeper (Sept. 10)
http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/195-developer-diary-the-rune-keeper

I am wondering a bit about how the "mid levels" of LOTRO will be after Moria releases. I'd figure half the players will be starting the new classes and half will be adventuring in the new 50-60 areas (though it adds some 45-50 areas too).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

Quote from: ericb on October 20, 2008, 12:04:17 PM

Is MoM considered book 15 or does book 15 come out before/with MoM?
Any sites have some detailed info on the Runekeeper?  It looks like the lore fighting is so bad on the official site that actual details are hard to find.

Book 15 is a "regular patch" that is applied at the same day as MoM is released. What this means is that even if you don't buy the expansion, you'll have a big patch to go through that day which will give you a surprising amount of new stuff to play with. Among these things is the Book 15 story itself, 90% of the region of Eregion (fully fleshed out with quests and towns), crafting guilds, a new mount, and some other stuff.

MoM is not considered Book 15. It is considered Volume 2, and contains books 1 to 6 or 7, I believe.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »

Dev diary finally gets into Captain, Guardian and Warden Advancement Beyond Level 50:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2315928#post2315928

For Captains "Leader of Men" will develop the summoning abilities. The archer is over here:
http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/245-developer-diary-captain-advancement-beyond-level-50?start=2
Capstone Skill: Call to Arms: Archer

The skill Call to Arms: Archer gives Captains the ability to enlist the services of a ranged damage dealing ally instead of a traditional Herald. Archer allies deal significantly more damage than Heralds and from the safety of range. The trade-off you make is that Archer allies do not carry Banners, but still gain the benefits of equipped Armaments.
So there ya go - interesting trade off.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »

I don't know if anybody here was a Moria beta tester, but Turbine said the NDA is lifted as of today:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2316492#post2316492
Quote from: Marketroid
In preparation for the launch of The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria, Turbine is pleased to announce that that Beta non-disclosure agreement has been lifted! Our thanks go out to the wonderful Moria beta community for their great feedback throughout the process thus far.

Beta players should check the private forums and launcher for more information and forum guidelines.

Get ready everyone: The gates of Moria are about to open!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

Hmm, I don't think any of the three captain paths fit my playing style completely. I'm a bit of a mix between Lead the Charge and Hands of Healing. I think the latter might be the best fit for me, but we'll see when everything goes live. I love being able to take on all kinds of roles during battle; Jumping into the middle of the fray and meleeing my opponents, intercepting anything approaching the healer and keeping it busy, while throwing a heal towards the healer so he can keep focusing on the rest of the fellowship... and of course, buffing my allies. I've become so comfortable with the captain over time that I can do all these things in the same battle. Naturally, the rest of the fellowship never notices, but that's the life of the captain for you.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »

I feel the same way about my 48 captain, but I could see a higher damage pet (archer) being handy for certain situations, esp. if you already have a minstrel and/or captain aboard.

I've stopped playing my cap in favor of my hunter (just hit 45 over the weekend). I'd love to get 'em both 50 in time for the Moria launch (Nov. 18 I think).

In a way, I've found it far more relaxing - for now - in groups to just focus on being a bow-crazy DPS (selectively, I'm a little smarter about knowing when to use/not use certain attacks now). Sometimes being a captain in a large group feels more like a job instead of a game. icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:19:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »

Try playing a captain in the Rift. You'll feel completely useless most of the time, as all you can do until a battle is well under control is mostly to just stand around and look cool. slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »

Turbine clarified that those who do the digital upgrade to Moria will have a separate 2GB download about a week before Moria launches:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2319432#post2319432
There will be a separate download package available at least a week before launch. This will be a big download (~2GB) so we recommend most players get it before launch day. Even with the patch pre-loaded it may take an hour or more (in some cases much more) for the files to be applied once the game is live. This step is unavoidable as the files are delivered encrypted for your protection and must be decrypted and verified as they're applied.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: