http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:18:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTORO Volume 2: Mines of Moria (impressions/screens)  (Read 9459 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »

I've read on forums about some Wardens approaching the 50 mark now. Maybe the only complaint I've seen is right now the game doesn't have a L60 class armor set for Wardens (that you barter for with coins, which you get for completing some end-game instances on the highest level, a kinmate tells me) but devs seem to indicate that is in the works for a later update.

I agree - I love having a Lore-Master on my team, but I just didn't have the patience to get anywhere with one and end up deleting it. We do have a 50+ LM in our kinship, so I've been feeding him legendary LM books that I get and the occasional staff. I sent him a book the other day he was exceptionally enthused about -- it buffs LM fire attacks in a couple ways, and also reduces the target's resistance to said fire attacks.

It may just be a matter of playing LM's differently. I know it took me almost 3 years in City of Heroes before I found a controller (gravity controller), a defender (empathy/radiation blast) and a tank (stone melee/invulnerability) that I truly enjoyed playing. So maybe LMs and minstrels are something I'll try tackling again down the road. I'm a lifetime member, I've got time.  icon_razz

My now 56 hunter has completed a couple nice new class traits - one that improves Heart Seeker's already nasty critical damage chance, and one that improves all ranged attacks' critical chances (they're under the bow master umbrella). You get one last extra class trait slot at 57.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:19:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

Do hunters get skills that help them "de-aggro" themselves?  I'm just curious, as you guys seem to be able to really pump out the damage when you want to.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2008, 07:36:44 PM »

In the beta everyone looked a lot alike. The weapons..especially the hunter's bows..all looked alike. from the screens they appear to have changed that somewhat. Is it a lot better now or just marginally so? I just won a Complete Edition but Im not sure if I should sell/trade it or give the game a go. I just cancelled Warhammer because I was bored of all the lookalike people not to mention repeditive play.

Also whats a good fun class? In beta i had the most fun with a hunter. If I did rejoin I was thinking of a Minstrel for playign music fun, a  captain for melee and buffs, and a hunter for fun.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:38:55 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 03, 2008, 04:53:00 PM

Do hunters get skills that help them "de-aggro" themselves?  I'm just curious, as you guys seem to be able to really pump out the damage when you want to.
There's an Endurance toggle that keeps the threat you generate lower (lots prefer to use that when in groups with a melee character). There's also a brief "click" power that greatly reduces your threat level but only for a few seconds (I think 10 seconds). The Legendary bows often have a modifier to threat level, sometimes that firing a certain bow attacks reduces threat a bit.

Heart Seeker (though it has a long cooldown), and one other bow skill (I forget the name, but it's only available when you've gotten a target down to 50% health or lower) do nasty damage, and if you have the Critical modifier traits slotted too, they can make really short work of things in a hurry. Chances are, if you're seeing a Hunter make exceptionally short work of something, they're probably using one or both of those skills.  icon_cool

If you fiddle with your traits for the various set (Bow Master, Trapper of Foes, Huntsman) you can have some fun figuring out just what sort of hunter you wanna be. Right now I've got a mix of things but I like being able to trap stuff well in-combat (esp. when solo), even if it's a -10% to damage. I didn't find going full bore with Bow Master to be very effective (it just makes it too hard to generate enough focus for special attacks, or to keep your power up).

Some of the mid-upper 50 level enemies are really HP sinks and even a Hunter can have a tough time bringing them down fast enough solo (so I rely on traps and the Rain of Thorns legendary skill/trait a lot, to buy some extra time). If I'm teamed up with even just one other player, any type, I feel a whole lot more effective ninja2 and I don't generally use traps as much as when I'm solo.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:26:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »

Ok.  That's good to know.

So to all you high level people out there - Why do I hear almost nothing in any of the reviews about Lothlorien?  I was sure I read they added it to the game world.  Is it just really small or maybe there's nothing to really do there?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 05, 2008, 03:49:09 PM

Ok.  That's good to know.

So to all you high level people out there - Why do I hear almost nothing in any of the reviews about Lothlorien?  I was sure I read they added it to the game world.  Is it just really small or maybe there's nothing to really do there?

It's because you have to complete MoM: Book 4 (or so I've heard) to even get access to the place. I think Lorien is going to become really important in the time to come, as it will probably serve as the new hub for adventurers (like Bree has always been) once they get out of Moria. The next update to the game will probably contain Dol Guldur for example, and that heavily involves Lothlorien.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »

I peeked into Lothlorien once just to see what it looked like, and it was nice to see the great outdoors again. It's a nice little area. But yeah, there didn't appear to be a whole lot to do there just yet in terms of quests.

I haven't completed book 4 (I'm still sort of stuck on the 1st chapter of that book), so I don't think that's a prerequisite (maybe completing took 3 is?). It's fairly deep inside Moria so I think part of it is people just sticking with other areas.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 05, 2008, 04:10:51 PM

I peeked into Lothlorien once just to see what it looked like, and it was nice to see the great outdoors again. It's a nice little area. But yeah, there didn't appear to be a whole lot to do there just yet in terms of quests.

I haven't completed book 4 (I'm still sort of stuck on the 1st chapter of that book), so I don't think that's a prerequisite (maybe completing took 3 is?). It's fairly deep inside Moria so I think part of it is people just sticking with other areas.

You should know when the place is unlocked for you, as the story takes you there and lets you meet Galadriel. You can enter the zone, but most of it will be locked away from you until you finish the book quest that unlocks it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »

There's a lot of things I should know, but I'm really not so bright.  icon_wink So thanks.  icon_smile

Another thing I should've been doing all this time - kinmate pointed out you should always level up legendary items your class can use, at least to level 2 or 3 -- this way when you deconstruct them, you get a LOT more stuff. And you can just leave them in inventory and let them level up a bit passively (although it slows the leveling of your equipped stuff, in theory). If you only deconstruct at 1, you usually only get one Tier 1 modifier. But at 2 or 3, lots:

Somewhere around mid 50s legendary stuff start having nice little visual effects. For the bows, you get these in combat - for melee stuff, they'll glow, light up etc. on your belt.

Some bow pics.

My main, which lights up red in combat. My favorite close-up shot -- a bit hard to get without the camera view swiveling all over.

I'm getting shot here but it sort of looks like i'm firing arrows backwards too.  icon_razz

I call this "Transparent," just used it briefly to level it up a bit faster.

I call this the "moustache," as it reminds me of a handlebar moustache, or maybe a bike handle.  icon_razz Actually I guess it's the same as transparent, the color switch in combat threw me off.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:20:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »

I just purchased MoM and signed up on the Elendilmir server.  I'm a level 8 dwarf Guardian named Brassidus, look me up.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on December 09, 2008, 05:20:49 PM

I just purchased MoM and signed up on the Elendilmir server.  I'm a level 8 dwarf Guardian named Brassidus, look me up.

Im on there too, my main is Hanton, look me up and I will send you some decent gear.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: