http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 12:47:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTORO Volume 2: Mines of Moria (impressions/screens)  (Read 9372 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:14:55 AM »

Wow, where to start. I'm whupped, been playin' last 5 hours.  icon_razz

I had the advantage of a kin mate who had gotten a "tour" from a player who was in the beta. So he was able to guide our kin group through the various Volume II Book 1 quests that culminate with getting you your first Legendary Weapon, and then eventually into Moria itself.

Eregion has tons of quests to do, but I'm a little dismayed how many are hunts. It's like the zone turned into Age of Conan's higher level zones or something.  disgust Hopefully Moria itself is a little more imaginative. Also, the "mega instance" at the walls of Moria is full of public instances, most of which are very befuddling, overlapping mazes (like Goblin Town in Misty Mountains) - I also found that a bit annoying, although all the quest rewards for the various expeditions are quite cool. In groups, beware, as the maps seem to either be buggy, or they make your fellowship members disappear if they're on a different "floor" than you.  icon_confused

Fiddling with the Legendary Weapon is fun - it's like a mini-RPG all in itself. And the thing to remember is they all start out so-so compared to stuff L50 players have been using -- they "become" legendary, they're not "born" that way.  icon_smile The crossbow leveled quite quickly about 1-5, after that it was more work I guess I'd say. I'd be careful at the start though. I inadvertently destroyed one of my starter runes (I didn't realize they were all the same type, should've looked at the tabs more closely). This is explained with pop-ups and stuff, I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

Here's a few pics.....

Something useful - get used to finding a way to Thorin's Hall where all the Mega Forging for your Legendary Weapons takes place. The area has been so deserted, I guess it's kinda nice to see it get a use like this that'll make it popular again.

I haven't seen the game so mobbed, not even when it launched in 2007.

Went with a legendary crossbow, looks like a catapult.  icon_cool

Pay attention to the tabs, or you might destroy a setting/rune/gem etc. w/o realizing it. I destroyed the deft "setting" so I'm using the vitality/agility one instead.

I'm already way paste my usual bedtime, I couldn't make it to L10 with the bow, which would let me finally get into Moria, I think.

Class Traits seem to require some sort of book in a new Class trait slot, but I think you have to get someone to craft one (or buy one), or something. Still confused on that one.

Not sure how people are gonna like the goats, but as with some breeds of pets, you can maybe Learn to love them?  icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:22:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

Cool beans, Blackjack.

I don't understand what "The Bowmaster" is?  Is that like a prestige class you turned into or something?  What is that screen showing?

The Legendary weapons stuff still confuses me.  Regardless of how much I read or how much people explain to me.  I guess once I see it for myself, it will click. 

Realistically, what is the earliest level a person could start using a Legendary weapon?

Also, do you foresee dozens, hundreds, or thousands of different effective combinations on weapons?  I'm just curious on the diversity level.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »

You have to be 50 to use Legendary stuff, afik. That's why everybody was rushing recently to hit 50 before the expansion.

I don't think you need to be 50 to reach the new Eregion zone, it's just a new region so anyone can go there. They have apparently added a new stable in Tal Bruinen in southern Trollshaws. I don't think Hunters get to learn a "pathfinding" to Eregion, alas.
========================
The game uses pop up windows to explain Legendary stuff, so it makes sense once you've gotten yours.

The best way I can explain Legendaries is that once you've got one, it's like having a weapon that's your partner. It can level on its own the more you use it. And as in most RPGs, you distribute points into various attributes in the weapon each time you level.

*If you look in the lower left corner there, you'll see "Available" and "Spent" indicators. The next time my bow levels, it'll dole out a few points under "Available" and the "Rank Up" button will become usable. I can then use the points to increase the "Rank" of "Legacies" (I tend to call them attributes).
*Where it says "Next Rank," you see a number -- the number indicates how many "available" points you have to use to improve that "Legacy"
*Those green circles at the lower right are "Settings" Relics. You can plop one of them into the left "asterisk" slot in the upper right. But if you put one there, and something's already there, the one already there is destroyed. The "Settings" generally add modifiers to the bow that actually improve your character (+10 vitality, +10 agility in my case) or maybe improve your melee critical stuff like that -- rather than the bow itself.

*The gems and runes come later, and my understanding is they're the juicy stuff, adding different types and amounts of damage, including various elemental damage types.

*Just to really confuse you, you're introduced to "Titles" that you can add:

That's what the "Scion of the Drowned Kingdom" is. Rather than just adding words, it changes the type of damage the bow does. From the basic "common" type to "Westernesse" in my case. A quest lets you choose from two (other's Dwarf Make type), but my understanding is eventually you can choose all sorts of types.

* Later on you're able to name the weapon (with some restrictions).

=====================================
Bowmaster is one of the new "Class Traits." Each class has 3 different possibilities, but afik you can only choose to focus and develop one particular one.

If you look at the tabs on the bottom, the other class trait sets are "The Trapper of Foes" and "The Huntsmen."

Turbine's dev diaries explain it better than I can (I don't even quite understand how to develop or get the necessary "class book" as of yet).

Basically, if you want to nuke everything in sight, then the Bowmaster gives you lots of bonuses and abilities focused on that.

If you want to do crowd control, and be able to drop traps "in combat," then the Trapper of Foes gives you lots of trapping abilities beyond the basics. The Huntsman I haven't looked at much just yet.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:00:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »

Fantastic explanations.

Thanks a lot.

Please keep us updated on things, especially as you discover more about Legendary weapons.

Any feedback from your friends on how their respective classes are doing?  Any class in particular not real happy with things yet?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »

Thanks. icon_smile At the official forums there is some mumbling about Rune Keepers not seeming like all that and a bag of chips, at least initially. It's meant to be challenging to play, though, so I wouldn't read too much into that. They've said the new classes aren't set in stone in terms of balancing, but what they've done so far has been in response to beta feedback.

OTOH, saw a lot of enthusiasm for the RK here (just some gripes about a "laser beam/bug zapper" like sound effect, that may get changed):
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2515401#post2515401

The other new class, Wardens (javelins/spears, and an almost Age of Conan-like combo attacks system) seems to be pretty popular so far. The game's director had mentioned liking AoC's fast combat, and while LOTRO is never going to completely become that combat-wise, the Warden seems to have a little bit of that "piano key attacks" going on -- I definitely want to start one eventually.

I guess the thing to keep in mind, which the game director seemed to say in interviews, is the new classes were meant to appeal to longtime players who had been through the game and wanted a new class with a new type of skill system to play, and learn. Although I'd almost argue they might hold more appeal for a new player who doesn't have experiences with the original classes embedded in his brain.  icon_razz

The Kinmate who took me on a tour had a L50 Captain, and he chose a Halberd (2-hand) as his Legendary Weapon. They indicated the game's revamp had changed the effects of certain Shout skills. Hopefully I can get my 49 Captain to that point soon.

The dev diaries outlined a lot of smaller changes, including the UI, labeling, icons for many things (that's good - you can now tell at a glance more easily what type of wood you have, for example), and changes in how stats are described. It'll take time for veteran players like me to understand the terminology though. I've also had stuff that was sitting in my stash suddenly seem - I swear - to have much better stats than they did before - a little perplexing.  icon_confused I dunno though, I may be misreading the new stats terminology.

The traits menu I pictured above looks snazzy no doubt, but it's also to some extent harder to "read" than the more business-like trait listings menu before. I mean, sometimes a bare Excel spreadsheet is easier to read/understand than some graphical Web based menu that's very pretty.  icon_neutral

* I really do *not* understand the Class Traits system at this point. I need to track down the dev diary on that, and I'm hoping there's a pop-up menu in game at some point that will explain that a bit.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:57:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

Oh, this "happy meter" thread will demonstrate how little anyone who plays the game (as with any MMO with several classes) agrees on anything - although there seems fairly wide "disgruntlement" with changes to the Lore-master and Minstrel classes.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=169754
-------------------------
Oh, I should've mentioned -- it seems like most classes get a small dollop of new skills in the 52-60 range. Hunter seemed to have 5 new skills, spread between attacks, and buffs/stances.

Also, I glimpsed 3 of the new Crafting Guild Halls. I believe the woodworking, jeweler and cooking crafting halls are in Esteldin. Basically they carved three doors into the brick walls in Esteldin (in North Downs) - the jeweler and cooking halls are towards the eastern end where the store locker/advanced crafting tables are; the woodworking one is closer to the center or Esteldin along the southern wall.

An NPC in another zone will send you to your respective crafting guild hall to check in. Then you can buy recipes from a vendor there to make advanced reputation stuff - and then eventually you gain access to Advanced recipes by making various things the Crafting Guild Hall NPC will accept as Barter trade-in.

-----------
If you want to see what the "pros" think so far - as opposed to my bleary-eyed impressions yesterday  icon_razz - here ya go...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-mines-of-moria/931629p1.html

http://pc.ign.com/articles/931/931510p1.html
I agree with his take on a bit too many Non Heroic Quests:
Quote from: IGN
Running sandwiches to work crews is only slightly less obnoxious than searching the dry stream bed for pointy rocks or, we kid you not, walking around picking up tree branches.
Not sure they'll get a lot of people running back from Warhammer and AoC to do those kinds of quests.  smirk

Reminded me of this Penny Arcade comic the other day (slightly NSFW):
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/14/

The lack of imagination or even just some diversity in MMO quests is a pet peeve of mine. AoC had some great, unique stuff (esp. the often ignored "debate in the town square" quest), but surrounding them were "Kill 15", "Kill 25", "Kill 45" might as well go play Dungeon Runners.

Eregion is interesting, awash in quests, I just get the impression from the number of hunts and "fetch sticks" and "pick up rocks and branches" quests, that the Quest Creation Staff was either short on time, or ran out of ideas. Or, hopefully, they put all the time into Moria's stuff, and Eregion's quests were an afterthought.  icon_razz Or, since people (including me at times) have been content to spend hours grinding away "hunt 200" deeds and traits, they just don't see any reason to have quests any more complicated than that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:34:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »

Yeah, I found that comic funny as well.

How long do you anticipate it will take before you are inside Moria killing things with your bow of doom?

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »

I'm not staying up late again until Friday, so we'll see.  icon_razz

I just have to move the bow up 3 levels. I'm told then you get to do one big ba-boom instance battle to finally, truly clear the doors to Moria, and then...

It was comical this morning - I got this quest that required running up a long ridge, clicking flags and... there were no mobs anywhere. That'll teach me to play in the a.m. before work.  smirk So, I made little progress with the "legendary leveling."

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:09:52 PM »

I finally got into Moria itself about 20 minutes ago, but I have to work tomorrow and must go to bed now, so I can't explore it. Looking forward to seeing what the mines look like when I get home tomorrow evening.

It took me two evenings of gameplay to get into Moria, which is way more than I expected. I feel like I've barely even scratched the surface of the expansion so far, and leveling is ultra-slow (which is good). I've done half the quests in Eregion, finished Volume 2 Book 1, and done most of Volume 1 Book 15, and that was just barely enough to take me to level 51. My legendary halberd is level 11. I've spent most of its points on increased DPS, and it's now able to rival any pre-expansion weapon in that regard. Also got my Captain's Emblem, but I haven't been able to identify it yet, so I don't know what it does.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:09:08 AM »

What server are you guys on?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:26:36 AM »

I'm mostly on Elendilmir, fwiw.

Got to complete Vol II, Bk 1, and at the end you get to "reforge" your legendary weapon, get runes/gems in it, and one more modifier.

More importantly, to name it.  icon_cool

I had to resist calling it, "The Aggronator."  icon_razz

Moria? The initial area is ... dark. You might need to fiddle with gamma settings... ninja2 It's cool all right architecturally, I just found myself occasionally tumbling into crevices in the darkness.

Think the dev diary mentioned it but you can't use your horse mounts in Moria -- I don't know at what point you can buy a goat mount, but there are a good number of stables for getting around from place-to-place early on.

3 of us tried an epic (but limited to 3 player groups) Drakes quest that rewards you with choice of new titles (damage types, including ability to damage a certain type of enemy - giants, trolls etc.) for your leg. weapons, but our 50-51 team ultimately couldn't tackle the L54 quest, and their revamped fire attacks (which does continous damage if you don't some mitigation skills/potions).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:28:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

Just a few things:
-Legendary items drop, sometimes like crazy, in loot. Once you've completed Vol II Bk 1 (which culminates with the "reforging" of your initial legendary weapon, you get to redistribute the points in it, and you get a new modifier, and some gems/runes to insert), you can then visit the appropriate forge contacts to identify any legendary items you get.

It's not limited to weapons - Captains have Legendary Runics (buff stuff), and Guardians get Legendary Belts, but weapons as well.

I've got a Legendary Mace and Axe unique to hunters. The starting stats aren't all that and a bag of chips. I'm told that once identified, these will level even if you just put them in inventory, though apparently that slows down the leveling process for your various weapons - the idea being they don't want everyone dragging around 50 legendary items in inventory at a time. Confused? I'm still learning too.  icon_confused

I identified a legendary Warden spear I found. I imagine it'll be a while before 50 Wardens become the norm.  smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »

By chance I set up a character on the Elendilmir server last night. His name is Hanton, just like my CoH tank.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:58:36 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »

Cool, I'm going to set up a Warden at some point, I'll try to look you up.

A Kinmate and I tried to tackle a 54 "small group" instance (an Epic one). The catch is that some of these new ones are now "limited" small groups, so you are limited to 3 players. And the mid 50s Drakes (Epic) do fearsome, continous flame damage. Our trio (guardian, minstrel, hunter) wasn't able to tackle it, eventually we got overwhelmed.

There was a post clarifying the Drake instances cause some things aren't quite spelled out well enough:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2551061#post2551061

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »

"I'm told that once identified, these will level even if you just put them in inventory, though apparently that slows down the leveling process for your various weapons - the idea being they don't want everyone dragging around 50 legendary items in inventory at a time. Confused? I'm still learning too."

My understanding of this is that you have the OPTION to level a certain # of leg. weapons at a time.  So, you have 4 weapons you really like and want to use, but one in particular is currently way more powerful.  Equip the powerful one, but click the setting to level all of you legendaries and it will spread the xp across them.  Just an example of why you would want to do that.

Also, you mentioned some confusion on class traits.  They haven't really changed that much.  First, class traits are upgrades to class skills.  Most often they're granted for using said skill x# of times.  You have a limited # of slots to equip these class traits (determined by level). One example of a champion class trait is an upgrade to Flurry of Blows.  The base skill grants +10% attack speed for 15 secs.  If you equip the class trait upgrade for this, it becomes +20% attack speed for 30 secs. 
They used to apply "line bonuses" which as far as I can tell everyone ignored because they were trivial.  Now, they've grouped the class traits into 3 groups.  As you equip more within the same group, they open up some very nice relevant bonuses for the type of build implied by the traits.  If you slot 5 of the same group, you gain the ability to slot the relevant Legendary Traits.

Pretty sure that's the gist of it.  As a sub-level 50 (level 42 champion) I'm having fun with the game.  It lost it's appeal for me at launch because I didn't really understand the strategy in fights, too many boar fights, and also because of graphical "hitching".  Boar fights die down a lot after level 20, after level 25 you have enough skills that the full strategy begins to emerge, and they've fixed the hitching.  So yay.

The new stats revamp has me really confused though, but it took a few weeks to understand the previous stats, so in about a month it shouldn't be an issue.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »

I guess where I'm confused on class traits "groups" is this new "class trait book slot" on the player equipment slots screen (it's a book-size slot to the right of where your crafting tool is slotted, on the 'avatar' screen).

Not sure if you earn one from a quest later, you craft one (a kinmate offered to) etc., is it pages like the legendary traits books, or do you just get one on your class trait screen at some point that you drag over there etc. I'll figure it out at some point, I just think it could use some spelling out in-game somewhere. I dunno, maybe there's some L55 quest that spells it out later. I just don't want to miss out on something because I don't know how to do/equip/use it.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2008, 07:04:40 PM

I guess where I'm confused on class traits "groups" is this new "class trait book slot" on the player equipment slots screen (it's a book-size slot to the right of where your crafting tool is slotted, on the 'avatar' screen).

Not sure if you earn one from a quest later, you craft one (a kinmate offered to) etc., is it pages like the legendary traits books, or do you just get one on your class trait screen at some point that you drag over there etc. I'll figure it out at some point, I just think it could use some spelling out in-game somewhere. I dunno, maybe there's some L55 quest that spells it out later. I just don't want to miss out on something because I don't know how to do/equip/use it.  icon_confused

Don't worry, you get your class item once you enter Moria, and it will be clearly spelled out.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

Unfortunately, Lich King hit the shelves first so I'll be playing that for a few months.  However, I fully intend to come back to LOTRO for a spell when things settle down.  Sounds like they added some great content!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

I'm tempted to come back... stop talking about this! I'm pretty sure my guy is on Elendilmir even though my kinship moved on long ago.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »

I'm Lifetime now baby, there's no escape for me now.  icon_surprised

And, I'm going to try the new classes tonight. Stay tooned for thrilling impressions.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:40:19 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:55 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 20, 2008, 07:53:14 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2008, 07:04:40 PM

Don't worry, you get your class item once you enter Moria, and it will be clearly spelled out.

It probably is different for other classes, but as a champion I use that slot for runes (not to be confused with what runemasters use Tongue ).  It's not a legendary anything, its just the class slot is no longer shared with the ranged slot.  Champs used to have to decide between a rune or bow, now we can have both.  Its use may change at level 50 I guess *shrug*
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:44 AM »

Some Warden glimpses. I went with a Hobbit (they don't have access to Rune Keepers):

The "gambit" interface is right around eye level. Basically, the sequence of your first two attacks determines what "gambit" skill then becomes available. If you have a target locked on, the gambit button activates and stays available until you fire it. If you off a target, you get maybe a couple seconds to use it on another before it resets.

In this one, the two green shield icons are a "shield bash" I've done twice, which then makes a Gambit attack available. The larger square on the right is the Gambit you can now use - though all you need to do is hit the Default Gambit skill hotkey.

Gambit Default is basically a button that fires off whatever Gambit you've "completed."

Don't look for Gambits on the Skills/Passives tab, it has its own Gambits tab to the far right. Took me a while to have my "duh" moment.  icon_razz

The Boot, is a very popular early gambit.  icon_cool

It's pretty fun. It really isn't like Age of Conan's combos per se. It's refreshingly different for LOTRO though, and I just felt more confident with every minute I used it.

The Warden can use just about every single handed melee weapon right away. In theory it's supposed to be best with Spears (javelin has its own separate slot for tossing), but I've not to Level 6 seen any spear-specific melee skills.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:03:59 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »

The Warden can use just about every single handed melee weapon right away. In theory it's supposed to be best with Spears (javelin has its own separate slot for tossing), but I've not to Level 6 seen any spear-specific melee skills.

There is a Gambit I think is unlocked at 6 or 7 that looks like it is designed for a spear. But im not sure if it requires it. You have to hit the shield then attack combo, then the gambit activates.

What's your Warden's name? I will look you up tonight. I should be on a good bit after work.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »

Actually, my Internet connection cut out about 8:25 a.m. this morning. I didn't have time to trobuleshoot it. I'm hoping for divine intervention and that it'll be OK when I get home tonight. paranoid

"Georden" is the warden's name. icon_smile Assuming I can get back on, I'll be mostly in the Shire. Just mention you're from GT. The Kin I'm in would really welcome some more US players on Elendilmir, if anyone's interested. Most of ours is Aussie, and they're very cool, it's just tough to team up due to time zones, aside from the weekends.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:58:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »

Some Legendary updates...

The xbow's coming along.

Hunter's club.

Can't use this just yet but a kinmate passed along.

Passed this on to my 49 captain for safekeeping.

Kick Cooldown is not high on my list.  icon_razz But maybe it's a new Captain skill and not the so-so trait skill.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:42:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 22, 2008, 04:40:53 PM

Kick Cooldown is not high on my list.  icon_razz But maybe it's a new Captain skill and not the so-so trait skill.

Kick cooldown is a really nice power on a legendary weapon. You use the Kick skill to interrupt enemies when they are casting spells or using special abilities like summoning. In other words, it's a very useful skill. Its only weakness is its long cooldown.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

I just hit level 53, and have been enjoying myself all the way. Turbine have really become good at quest design lately. Moria seems to avoid the frustrating quest types we found in southern High Pass, and avoids most of the crowding that we experienced with Forochel. I feel like I've barely even started exploring the mines themselves, spending most of my times in Eregion so far. The legendary items really add a whole new dimension to the game. You get the satisfaction of going up in level much more often than you're used to since your items become a part of you in many ways. Because legendary items drop from mobs in the landscape, the thrill of looting an enemy has suddenly been introduced to a game that lacked this before.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

For some reason I left LOTRO a while ago, never really knew why...I just had a long break due to personal reasons and just never went back... well count me as being back, am downloading everything now and am officially a lifetime member now.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 11:54:08 PM »

If you guys are on Elindilmor look me up. My main is Hanton.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »

I finally had a Eureka moment with the Class Traits "sets" system. It just requires doing some mouse hovering and realizing what's what.

So I've tried playing with the Trapper of Foes set in place:

If you like to use traps, it's very helpful. You can set up traps much faster, have the trap skill available much faster, etc., and one of the individual class traits enables you to drop them "in combat." The penultimate Legendary Trait in the set seems to make the L60 Daze Arrow skill last 30 seconds and cooldown much faster.

But it's not a one-trick pony (see above). It makes the Rain of Thorns (a legendary trait, you get through a book and its requisite pages) much more damaging, and provides a welcome boost in in-combat power regen.

At left, the squares that are Green are traits I've completed, and can "slot" as I like. The ones with a Ring on them are deeds of some sort that are in progress but not yet available.

When you've slotted it, you'll see those square outlines with the pointy things around them. If you hover over an equipped one you'll see the list at right that shows you the perks you get, depending on how many of that particular trait type you've slotted.

I also put in a little time with the Huntsmen:

If you like to fire arrows faster (with 4 of these type class traits slotted, it's about 20% faster "induction" time with the bow), and use all your special attacks more often (the traits are "focus friendly" in general), it's pretty fun.

Strength of Earth gradually builds up power while in combat -- slotting 3 of these type traits lets it build up health (morale) too, and it triggers much faster. I'm still disappointed with it though because it's interruptible in combat. It's more useful in a group, with someone else around to draw attention while you try to get your second wind back.

Press Onward is a later skill I think.

I posted the Bowmaster earlier but didn't really explain it:

The key there is if you don't like using the Strength stance (which buffs damage, but increases power consumption and increases the threat you generate - which fellowship guardians/wardens might not appreciate), then the Bowmaster's damage/critical buffs will mostly be wasted (which is what I was doing basically, cause I didn't understand the concepts).

What I wish they'd introduce is some ability to save a favorite "traits configuration" at the Bards, so you could easily switch from favorite sets (at a price). As it is, you have to individually fiddle and twiddle with each trait, and you get dumped out of the Bard's config screen each time you re-slot something.

This is all pretty similar to the armor sets that they already had in the game. It just takes a little while to understand how it works in terms of the traits (at least for me  icon_smile)

I should also mention - they added 2 extra class trait slots at Levels 53 and 57, for 7 total slots. So you have a lot of flexibility there. And rather than trying to go for all the fringe Benefits in Bowmaster, or Trapper of Foes, you can sprinkle things around and get just one or two of the side benefits in each class category. So it really does become a little Configuration Game in itself, and you don't have to lock yourself into one type if you prefer being more versatile.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:17:03 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »

I had some really bad luck with my initial legendary items. Almost none of their abilities suited my playstyle, which meant that I ended up pouring almost all my weapon xp into DPS. Since then I've been looking for a new halberd to replace the crap one I got from Volume 2 Book 1, but I didn't get anything until I was halfway between levels 53 and 54. A captain's 2-handed sword turned up as loot, and when I identified it, it ended up having only abilities that would be useful to my character. I decided to deconstruct my old halberd, which refunded a large portion of the xp I had poured into it and gave me back the relics I had spent on it as well. With the refund and some other items and a quest reward I had saved up, I was able to instantly bring my new weapon to level 13, where it turned out to be quite respectable.

Behold, this is my new sword: Ember, Servant of Udûn, now turned against its former masters:

I figure this will keep me going until level 57 or so, but we'll see. smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »

I have a 52 bow like that a kinmate gave me (L52) -- meaning, it modified 2 bow attacks I can't get until Levels 58 (Distracting Arrow) and 60 (Burn Hot). However, when using it, it's actually feeling more effective/efficient than the crossbow i've been leveling to death with. Go figure.  icon_confused

I'm not sure I can bring myself to deconstruct the xbow just yet, but I'm thinking about it.  icon_smile

Did a pretty cool 3-person instanced "The School" last night. It's tough, but fair I'd say. Subtle things like resurrecting Inside the instance, and certain bosses not moving beyond a certain point on the map keep it from being head-bang-against-the-wall difficult.

And clearly the villains know my ability to whine  icon_razz:

Other nice perk in this are Heritage Runes (although chances are you'll be doing a "loot roll" and not getting many of them -- the chests in The School instance spit them up). Clicking lets you apply 1,000 item level XP points to any item you have equipped or in inventory. Actually, low-level legendary items level so fast it's maybe a moot point - they're especially useful if you're at the point where leg. item leveling is getting sluggish.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:06:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »

There are other levels of heritage runes that can appear as well. The ones that give 1000 xp are the lowest level ones, but I think better ones will drop from loot at higher levels. When I deconstructed my halberd, I received a heritage rune worth 30000 xp. smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

Yeah I got a 50,000 one when I deconstructed the crossbow, and I ran into a "Faded" heritage rune, the 1,000 xp one. Alas, the new legacy on reforging was the so-so bow thread down one.

Here's the 52 bow I switched to, after deconstructing the 51 crossbow:

Again, Distracting Arrow and the Hot skill don't come into play until 58-60. I guess the good thing is you don't get tempted to spread the Legacy points all over the place until then.

For hunters out there, the Hunter trainer in Rivendell provides the Pathfinding quest for Eregion. For a change, rather than crawling around trying to find something based on vague directions, you instead have to complete a couple deeds that seem to involve scouring all of Eregion for various locations. I'm missing about 3 locations on one deed.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »

This thread got to me and I resubscribed.  I rolled on Elindilmor where a lot of you seem to be.  Look me up: Faide

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:55 AM »

My impressions of the Moria Expansion:  I really, really, REALLY like the Warden class.  Enough to actually start playing the game on a consistant basis I think.  I always liked the LoreMaster class to an extent, but found the rest of them to just not be exciting enough.  The Warden reminds me a bit of something you would find in Vanguard as far as thought-involvement in nearly every move - and that is cool.

Thumbs up.   thumbsup

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 03:14:56 AM »

I've actually been enjoying - for the most part - Eregion so much, even the endless hunt quests, and the perhaps overly templated "activate the horn and beat up on the summoned boss quests, that I haven't really gotten far into the actual Mines at all to this point.

I posted this at my Kinship's board about earning the Pathfinding to Echad Dunnan (which is just west of the gate to Moria itself). It's very handy, with the trick being that the quest giver is actually a Hunter trainer back in Rivendell. Throwing it in here in case there are fellow Hunters here.  icon_smile
--------------------
* The Quest to learn how to Pathfind to Eregion actually comes from the Hunter Trainer in Rivendell. However, you'll turn in said Pathfinding quest at Echad Dunnan, receive the little "pathfinding clickie" and then just activate that to add it to your Pathfinding skills.

* This time around, you don't have to follow horribly vague directions and zig-zag all over from a starting point to find someone/something to complete the quest; instead, you have two Deeds you have to complete. And these are of the "discover X number of locations to complete the Deed" variety.

* One of the Deeds I had already completed in the course of just running all over Eregion. The other Deed, "Dens of Beasts," was trickier, and I resorted to getting help in the Advice channel for map coordinates.

* The 3 "Dens of Beasts" that I had trouble tracking down were...
- Torech Braignel (44 south, 8.9 west)
- Torech Ladnel (47.1 south, 15.2 west)
- Sad Umroval (48.2 south, 12.4 west)

Your mileage of course may vary in terms of spots you already found or not. These locations all get "pinned" on the Eregion map once you find 'em.

Happy huntering.  icon_cool

Hopefully there's some way to Pathfind into the Mines of Moria itself, but I haven't gotten that far into Moria. I'll check the Eregion hunter trainer, but she didn't appear to be giving a Moria pathfinding quest as of yet.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 24, 2008, 03:14:56 AM

Hopefully there's some way to Pathfind into the Mines of Moria itself, but I haven't gotten that far into Moria. I'll check the Eregion hunter trainer, but she didn't appear to be giving a Moria pathfinding quest as of yet.

I think I saw a pathfinding scroll leading to the 21st Hall (the one you see in the first movie) for sale at a reputation vendor in Moria. You need to increase your reputation with the Miners in order to use it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »

So they announced they'll start doing 1-hour long "rolling server restarts" Nov. 25-30.
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=2667061#post2667061
The LOTRO game servers will be brought down for rolling server restarts November 25 - November 30 based on the following schedules:

10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT) Daily
Arkenstone, Brandywine, Firefoot, Gladden, Nimrodel, Silverlode

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) Daily
Elendilmir, Landroval, Meneldor, Vilya, Windfola
They had to do one yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if it's server-load issues, or something about the new content gumming up the works.

I saw a player post remarking they should consider revamping the combat system into something like Age of Conan's. Not well received.  icon_lol The Warden gambits give a tiny similar taste, though like I said it's really not like AoC in how it actually plays (it just sort of reads like it when you describe it).

If I felt more inclined to defend AoC there, I'd explain it really isn't a "twitch" game. You just have to hit a sequence of hotkeys instead of just one, but the basic result and combat resolution (via RPG stats/numbers) is still the same. And Funcom did belatedly start simplifying more complicated combos, because having to hit 5-6 keys in sequence is just a pain.

My thought is if Turbine really does plan a separate console MMO, than a button mashing system like that might be a good idea, but I'd never suggest turning the PC LOTRO upside down - it would just alienate most of the player base.

As far as physics and having non-clipping of character models, I did like that in AoC, but it causes a lot of headaches in narrow passageways (eventually Funcom had to make it so you could crouch to "pass through" other players), ups the system requirements and in many ways probably causes more problems than it's worth.

Lastly, I just found out I get Friday off from work (though next week will be a Bear). Sounds like an LOTRO Marathon in the Making. icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:14:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »

A kinship mate passed along a pretty nice Legendary bow drop he got (he's got his guardian up to 56 at this point), but you can't use it until L58. I'll probably have some hard choices then cause the bow I'm using has a couple nice effects that don't do anything until you can get the requisite skills at 58 and 60.

Actually, the L58-req. bow he got me has tremendous base damage (well over 100 on the high end), so maybe it's not really such a tough choice afterall.  icon_razz

He was temped to keep it but he's not really into playing as Hunters.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: