http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 04:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan  (Read 1884 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

announced today!

Hi all!

I’m very excited to finally be able to share with you some exciting news that we will be formally announcing today. This fall, we’ll be releasing our next major expansion, Riders of Rohan!

Riders of Rohan will bring players into this epic region, increase the level cap to 85 and introduce Mounted Combat! Rohan is huge! So huge, that this fall we’ll be introducing the Eastern Plains of Rohan, the largest region we’ve ever introduced (almost twice the size of Moria!) You’ll also be able to explore the Eaves of Fangorn and the fabled Amon Hen, where Boromir was slain and the Fellowship broke up! We can’t go to Rohan without introducing Mounted Combat, which will allow you to fight atop your new mount, the War-steed. Mounted Combat will allow you experience LOTRO in a whole new way!

While fall might seem like a long wait, there is much work to do, and many miles to travel before we arrive. This spring we’ll take our first steps along the path as we add another new region to the game and allow players to explore the shores of the Great River (Free for VIPs!). We’ll also introduce the option to bring Skirmish Soldier along to aid you on your adventures throughout Middle-earth. We can’t wait to share more details with you as the year progresses.

We think you’re going to be very happy with the all that 2012 is shaping up to be!

Forth Eorlingas!

mounted combat?  oooooooo.......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

I thought the game had too many hotkeys by the time I reached 58. 85? Forget it.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »

And the legendary item system was too complicated. They overhauled it significantly at one point and changed a lot of things. I took a look at it after a small break...

retard

"The hell with it!"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 26, 2012, 05:32:05 PM

I thought the game had too many hotkeys by the time I reached 58. 85? Forget it.  icon_razz

That's always the one thing that keeps me going back to playing LOTRO.  So many hotkeys.  People complain about TOR and hotkeys, but it's nowhere near what LOTRO has.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »

The hotkeys don't really increase much in number after a certain level. It feels like most of the skills I get these days are upgrades to skills I already have.

Regarding the expansion: Consider me not surprised. People expected this expansion, with this exact name and with mounted combat, last year.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »

I'll see if I can find my screenshots that show my hotkey trays at upper levels. My recollection was I had the three trays on the bottom-middle, one or two vertically on the sides, and one in the upper-middle. Or maybe that was Age of Conan. Or Rift.  icon_razz Outside of maybe Champions (which presumably simplified the # of hotkeys on purpose, since it was originally to also be a console release), just about every MMO I've played is hotkey-crazy.

I'm really not complaining -- it comes with the genre. I enjoy it up to a point, it's just so, so hard to remember where everything is even if you just stop playing for a month. If it's been a year or so, I feel better off just starting a new toon from scratch but then that sometimes means months before you get to play the content added in an expansion.

I tried to get back into STO and even there, I just couldn't remember what to press anymore, and felt complete UI overload.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »

Heck, if you take time off, they tweak the character out even if you did remember how.  I remember going back to my WoW Rogue and having all this worthless flash powder for my Vanish ability, since they removed the need for it.  They kept changing the way poisons worked, etc.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »

Thought I would update this thread since Rohan launches in 2 weeks. Yesterday I got to go on a dev tour of the expansion and I should have a preview up by Thursday. Here's a link to some screens from the Dev Tour. Rohan Screens

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

We started playing LOTRO again several months ago with someone who has never played an MMO before. They took to the game so we purchased all in game content areas/expansions (including this one) and have been steadily working towards L75 to be ready to dive in to Rohan. We just got out of Moria (which was a lot better than I was expecting) at L60 and now working our way towards Mirkwood/Isenguard areas. So we should be about ready for Rohan by the time we hit L75.

I've been avoiding reading too much in to the expansion as I'd like to be somewhat surprised but am looking forward to trying out the mounted combat for myself.

I have to say this game has held up very well over these years. We played it when it initially came out, then again when it went F2P, and now a year or so later. It still looks great and is fun to play - I'm obsessed with collecting all the in-game horses. The only major complaint I have about it is the UI which has become outdated. They need a little streamlining in that area.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »

What server are you on Crawley?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »

Playing on Vilya.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:37:47 AM »

i was sooooooo bummed about this - i had been playing and LOVING this game over the last few months or so (my first MMO!) - just yesterday they altered the EULA with terms i found onerous - so im out frown

the real kick in the face was the distinct UK EULA that DID NOT include some of the more intrusive and obtrusive conditions - i WISH the us were more respectful of the consumer / user when it comes to digital rights frown

so long story short - im out - which is a bummer frown  have fun on the plains for me!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 03, 2012, 02:37:47 AM

i was sooooooo bummed about this - i had been playing and LOVING this game over the last few months or so (my first MMO!) - just yesterday they altered the EULA with terms i found onerous - so im out frown

the real kick in the face was the distinct UK EULA that DID NOT include some of the more intrusive and obtrusive conditions - i WISH the us were more respectful of the consumer / user when it comes to digital rights frown

so long story short - im out - which is a bummer frown  have fun on the plains for me!

You actually read the EULA? What exactly changed that makes you want to give up on the game?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

one was the now-near ubiquitous provision that strips the user from near all legal recourse in the case of damages or injury (i griped about this in the new xbox eula from about 6 months back but because the xbox is a more "controlled" environment it doesnt seem like there is as much risk here - but i still look at computers as the wild west when it comes to the ability of third parties to use systems to do great damage to an individual)

and the other was a provision whereby turbine would constantly monitor the pc of the user, in unspecified ways, during game sessions (and no not in the way of usual packet monitoring and game performance - their systems would actively snoop for mod software)

the fact that the uk version had a much more restricted version of my first complaint and wholly omitted the second provision was enough to really feel like a slap in the face.  the only good thing is that the first part is still in the courts in the US and hopefully turns out in favor of the consumer

the us is falling way behind in the area of digital rights and when major companies are becoming increasingly unable to protect our data, i refuse to keep submitting to things like this
... which is a major let down because ive been consumed by this game for months now (i even went out and read the silmarillion i was so absorded in the lore!)... my lil hobbit will miss middle earth frown
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »

Preview From Developer Tour

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »

Not sure if anyone else here is playing this, but it launched on Monday and it is a really good expansion. I will have a full review up next week, but at this point I'm really enjoying it. Turbine really went out of their way with new game mechanics, gameplay updates to make the game more enjoyable, art, the SOUND, Rohan is more impressive than I thought it would be.

The only downside I see is that almost all of the new content is for high level players so new players will have to work their way up to it.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »

I really loved the time I spent playing LOTRO and that was playing it before it went F2P.  Every once in a while I think about getting back to it, but the one problem LOTRO has is far too many skills.  Never in an MMO did I really need more than one row of hotkeys and in LOTRO I had 3 rows.  If I went back to play my minstrel, I would have no clue what anything was anymore.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 17, 2012, 03:53:59 PM

I really loved the time I spent playing LOTRO and that was playing it before it went F2P.  Every once in a while I think about getting back to it, but the one problem LOTRO has is far too many skills.  Never in an MMO did I really need more than one row of hotkeys and in LOTRO I had 3 rows.  If I went back to play my minstrel, I would have no clue what anything was anymore.

This is true, but it's one of the reasons I like the game, every class is unique and mastering the elements of each isn't as easy as most games (The Hunter would be the exception here).

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »

My Review is up. I really liked it. They really nailed the story telling and atmosphere.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

Have to say I'm really enjoying the Rohan expansion. I love the look of the areas and am really enjoying the mounted combat. I was a bit worried about the mounted combat as the two people I play with are not action gamers at all. Hell one of them still has problems facing monsters on foot when fighting and right-clicking on glowing objects on the ground is always a challenge.

So I was a pretty concerned with the mounted combat aspect going in wondering if the two others I play with would be able to pick it up or not. When I tried it out for myself I was sure they would not like it as even I was having problems maneuvering with it at first. Thankfully after several days of playing together we all improved significantly on our control of the warsteeds and able to take down Warbands (grounds of monsters) with little problems. My wife, who was very skeptical of the warsteeds when she first tried them, now is at the point where she's finding the mounted battles fun to do.

I also love the added complexity to riding the horse. It's like the difference between riding a scooter vs motorcycle. I've got it down not pretty good now where I feel comfortable riding the warhorse around town although still will run in to problems if I overshoot my target (doors in particular). The extra speed of running around on that steed though is such a boon - I think my warhorse is quicker than the fast travel horse.

The other big feature of Rohan I love is the autoloot. No longer do you have to right-click corpses or mess around with rolling for loot. After you kill something the loot just automatically appears in your inventory. I love that and hope they add it to the rest of the game.

Only thing I hate is that in 3 more levels I'll be 85. It seems like just as mounted combat is peaking the new content is all but ending. I'd rank this expansion under Moria with Moria being the best. I didn't care much for Isenguard and Mirkwood just went by so quickly to really be considered much of an expansion.

Looking forward to the next content areas for Rohan.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

autoloot has always been there :-) Its an option.

A new one
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »

Hmm I certainly don't remember there being an automatic looting of the corpse after defeat. The only option I remember there being that you could turn on was a take all items when right clicked.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »

Yeah. Its autolooting with still having to click on the corpse to get the items in your inventory. In Rohan after you kill something the items just magically appear in your inventory. I like that better. Can just kill and move on.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

I'm in the same boat. I hit 50 with a warden a couple years back, which if you're unfamiliar with has button combos that make the skills which must be entirely memorized to use efficiently.  I think it may keep me from coming back, especially because I've never been able to find friends to group with.  BUT just a heads up it sounds like the dev team is going to address the abundance of skills later this year and do some big class revamps.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »

I think the best thing about the way auto-loot is done is that the items are stored in a virtual 50 slot bag and it retains an item for 1 hour after you loot it.  This really helps me keep on playing instead of the frequent bag management issues i used to have
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

Quote from: wonton on February 05, 2013, 08:47:04 PM

I'm in the same boat. I hit 50 with a warden a couple years back, which if you're unfamiliar with has button combos that make the skills which must be entirely memorized to use efficiently.  I think it may keep me from coming back, especially because I've never been able to find friends to group with.  BUT just a heads up it sounds like the dev team is going to address the abundance of skills later this year and do some big class revamps.

Good to know!  If they get it slimmed down, that might be enough for me to come back.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:56 PM »

Quote from: wonton on February 05, 2013, 08:47:04 PM

Removing the amount of gambits for a Warden would be suicide for people who love the class. The Warden is supposed to be Lotro's advanced class and it takes a lot of practice to master it. If you want an easy class play a hunter, champ or even a guardian. And really lvl 50 doesn't take that long to hit anymore, you could start over with a new toon and be there within two weeks tops if you play regularly.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »

I'm thinking of my minstrel, which I loved to play at the time, but it would take me a bit to relearn.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 06, 2013, 10:27:11 PM

I'm thinking of my minstrel, which I loved to play at the time, but it would take me a bit to relearn.

A mini may take some time to relearn, but I don't think it would be too hard. You should be able to jump back in without too much trouble.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: