http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online enters the Third Ag- um.... Year.  (Read 4568 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 26, 2010, 02:54:40 PM

We're either on Landroval or Elendilmir. So tell us which one you are on.
Though i'm Lifetime, I really haven't played in months. I think my MMO bug is finally extinguished, too bad it happened after committing to two lifetime subscriptions.  icon_redface retard

fwiw, I have quite a few characters at varying levels (from single digit to near the level cap) on Elendilmir.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »

I have a level 15 Dwarven Runekeepr Productorin.

Add me!

"Goonies never say die"
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »

Yet another welcome-back weekend in LOTRO.  If anyone is looking for a slower-paced, mature PvE MMO, I don't think LOTRO can be beat.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 27, 2010, 02:07:23 PM

Yet another welcome-back weekend in LOTRO.  If anyone is looking for a slower-paced, mature PvE MMO, I don't think LOTRO can be beat.

For some reason, it still shows my account as inactive. From what I read, you shouldn't have to opt in to the free weekend.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Quote from: Jag on May 27, 2010, 03:11:53 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on May 27, 2010, 02:07:23 PM

Yet another welcome-back weekend in LOTRO.  If anyone is looking for a slower-paced, mature PvE MMO, I don't think LOTRO can be beat.

For some reason, it still shows my account as inactive. From what I read, you shouldn't have to opt in to the free weekend.

You should just be able to log in...I think.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »

I was really, really hoping they were going to put mirkwood and the adventure pack back on sale for this weekend.  Now that I have time through next year and characters approaching the 40s I will need it sooner than later.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »

This is going to sound petty, but something that has always bugged me about Lotro is that characters don't have good (or any?) idle animations.  My characters always stood perfectly still like a lifeless robot waiting for me to take over control again.  Maybe the dwarves move a little?  Either way, it's funny to me that something so small and dumb as idle animations can bug me so much about an otherwise great PvE game.

It was even more noticeable when I was in a fellowship and we were all standing around like lifeless robots before heading out to quest.  I guess I was spoiled by Tauren butt scratching.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 28, 2010, 03:56:07 PM

This is going to sound petty, but something that has always bugged me about Lotro is that characters don't have good (or any?) idle animations.  My characters always stood perfectly still like a lifeless robot waiting for me to take over control again.  Maybe the dwarves move a little?  Either way, it's funny to me that something so small and dumb as idle animations can bug me so much about an otherwise great PvE game.

It was even more noticeable when I was in a fellowship and we were all standing around like lifeless robots before heading out to quest.  I guess I was spoiled by Tauren butt scratching.

No, it's fair.  A lack of animations makes the world lifeless.

Plus, you never know what's going to bother you.  I can't stand the feet on my man champion.  They're simply too wide.  I've learned to get past it, but I really dislike those huge, oblong feet.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »

I'll be on likely tonight for a few hours.

Level 15 currently in Bree-Land.

Productorin - Landroval

"Goonies never say die"
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »

I still have my Warden in the Eye of the Watchers.  I unsubbed when the guild went semi dead.  I can certainly re-sub if the guild is active again.  I think my Warden is 54 or 55.  I just started playing with legendary weapons when I quit

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 28, 2010, 04:24:54 PM

Plus, you never know what's going to bother you.  I can't stand the feet on my man champion.  They're simply too wide.  I've learned to get past it, but I really dislike those huge, oblong feet.

It's much better now but still needs some work.  The world was worse when they didn't have any "critters".  It seemed truly dead with no rabbits or snakes or birds around and has much improved since then.  I also hate the human male feet...they look like they are size 15 extra wide no matter what.  I actually deleted one of my human male characters and created a human female to get around the giant boat feet.
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »

I decided to give this a chance with the 10 day free trial. I'm playing on Landroval made a captain, I'm 11 or 12 right now and having fun. Characters name is Kielantra.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »

Quote from: ericb on May 28, 2010, 07:19:04 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on May 28, 2010, 04:24:54 PM

It's much better now but still needs some work.  The world was worse when they didn't have any "critters".  It seemed truly dead with no rabbits or snakes or birds around and has much improved since then.  I also hate the human male feet...they look like they are size 15 extra wide no matter what.  I actually deleted one of my human male characters and created a human female to get around the giant boat feet.
Weird! My first reaction towards the graphics was also a very negative one, mainly due to the size of those feet biggrin

It was mostly because I had quit Age of Conan shortly before, which really has amazing character models. Oh, if only it had Lotro’s system of choosing a nice visual outfit.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2010, 06:13:23 AM »

LOTRO is a beautifull game with all its bells and whistels turned on, and it runs perfectly smooth on my laptop, since its aging now. But yeah, compared to AOC it falls flat, would be nice to have a button to merge two games. :-D

I'm actually having a TON of fun right now in LOTRO, finally got a lvl 30 toon, and got to see a few skirmishes which was damn fun, although a bit overwhelming.. Also, I have NO idea how to get the First Mark barter item, which I *really* want.... Anyways, cant wait to play more Skirmishes...I think I'll be doing that for a while, since it gives good xp AND deeds as well :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2010, 07:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 03, 2010, 06:13:23 AM

Also, I have NO idea how to get the First Mark barter item, which I *really* want....

It's a random drop in skirmishes of your level. You can increase the chance of it dropping by upping the skirmish tier. Higher tiers net you more skirmish points and better loot, but they are also more difficult.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 03, 2010, 07:20:18 AM

Also, I have NO idea how to get the First Mark barter item, which I *really* want....

It's a random drop in skirmishes of your level. You can increase the chance of it dropping by upping the skirmish tier. Higher tiers net you more skirmish points and better loot, but they are also more difficult.

oh - I thought I could barter my way to it - thanks Tilt! One more thing, I've chosen an Archer as my soldier - was that bad? I'm playing my champion now, and figured I could use the single target dps, but...I'm not doing that great in the first defense skirmish - First time all the npcs but MAthis died, second time 1 died, but upping the tier? ouch!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 03, 2010, 07:23:12 AM

Quote from: TiLT on June 03, 2010, 07:20:18 AM

oh - I thought I could barter my way to it - thanks Tilt! One more thing, I've chosen an Archer as my soldier - was that bad? I'm playing my champion now, and figured I could use the single target dps, but...I'm not doing that great in the first defense skirmish - First time all the npcs but MAthis died, second time 1 died, but upping the tier? ouch!

Uh... yeah, that was a bad choice of soldier type. You're a pure DPS class, so why did you choose a pure DPS soldier to assist you? What you need is a tank or a healer.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »

Ehm...I suck at MMOs? :-D

Thanks, I did have this nagging feeling that it was bad - I'll go change him into a healer today then..damn work!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »

A quick check on the LOTRO forums shows that Herbalist is indeed the preferred soldier type for champions.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2010, 04:33:06 PM »

LOTRO is a beautifull game with all its bells and whistels turned on, and it runs perfectly smooth on my laptop, since its aging now. But yeah, compared to AOC it falls flat, would be nice to have a button to merge two games. :-D

I'm actually having a TON of fun right now in LOTRO, finally got a lvl 30 toon, and got to see a few skirmishes which was damn fun, although a bit overwhelming.. Also, I have NO idea how to get the First Mark barter item, which I *really* want.... Anyways, cant wait to play more Skirmishes...I think I'll be doing that for a while, since it gives good xp AND deeds as well :-D

I think it will improve a lot when the new DX11 client is released.  I've heard a lot of good things about it.  Personally I still think it looks great compared to everything else out there but I am running just about everything maxed and I couldn't do that a year ago.

I'm really loving the skirmishes and the money pours in compared to normal quests.  I think I made around 500s at 30 after three skirmishes and if that keeps up I may get my house out of lockup (currently 900s in back maintenance owed frown)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »

There will be a direct 11 client??

I was kinda thinking the game developement had all but stopped, due to lower number of players, which I thought was kinda sad. But I agree, skirmishes are a TON of fun, especially now I have a healer as well - makes them quite a lot better, although she practically never heals me like I'd like her to.

A new one
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 03, 2010, 04:36:42 PM

I was kinda thinking the game developement had all but stopped, due to lower number of players, which I thought was kinda sad. But I agree, skirmishes are a TON of fun, especially now I have a healer as well - makes them quite a lot better, although she practically never heals me like I'd like her to.

No, they just moved to a different development schedule with bigger expansions (but longer between them).  They have said to expect a big announcement at E3 coming up in a few weeks.  If anything I think their numbers are up a little bit compared to a year ago and it may get a lot more coverage and distribution now that WB has bought them.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

Quote from: ericb on June 03, 2010, 04:40:17 PM

No, they just moved to a different development schedule with bigger expansions (but longer between them).  They have said to expect a big announcement at E3 coming up in a few weeks.  If anything I think their numbers are up a little bit compared to a year ago and it may get a lot more coverage and distribution now that WB has bought them.

Not much is known about the new expansion, but it will be set in Enedwaith (south of Eregion, west of Rohan). Personally I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping we'd be heading directly to Rohan instead of flanking it in both directions first (the other being Mirkwood). I guess they don't want to go there until they can get mounted combat working right.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 03, 2010, 04:44:08 PM

Quote from: ericb on June 03, 2010, 04:40:17 PM

No, they just moved to a different development schedule with bigger expansions (but longer between them).  They have said to expect a big announcement at E3 coming up in a few weeks.  If anything I think their numbers are up a little bit compared to a year ago and it may get a lot more coverage and distribution now that WB has bought them.

Not much is known about the new expansion, but it will be set in Enedwaith (south of Eregion, west of Rohan). Personally I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping we'd be heading directly to Rohan instead of flanking it in both directions first (the other being Mirkwood). I guess they don't want to go there until they can get mounted combat working right.

We know more than that.  

We know they're taking the hobbits to Isengard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

Ok, couldn't resist.

Actually (copied from the LOTRO forums), here's what we know:

* There will be an announcement soon, potentially at E3 (June 15-17)
    * Turbine will be presenting at E3 under the Warner Brothers banner
    * We will get new icons for something at some point.
    * Fear debuffs will no longer invisibly stack in the next update.
    * Threat squigglies will be universally shown in the next update.
    * LM & Burg debuffs will be fixed in the next update
    * The Stunned/Dazed icon will show when "show only dispellable effects" is enabled
    * Something called Enedwaith will be added to the game before the end of the year
    * We are moving toward Isengard
    * DX11 is anticipated in the "next major game update" & is live on Turbine's internal test platform
    * Warg-riders will no longer use their Hamstring/Ride-by-Attack skill until they have been actually attacked.
    * Male hobbit run animation will be updated (again)
    * Free swift-travel from the Ettenmoors on promotional week(end)s will be fixed in the next update
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:04:16 PM by Blackadar » Logged

DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »

Do we have a guild on Landroval? I enjoyed the game enough after the 10 day trial enough to sign up. I have a Captain that 17 and Runekeeper thats 5. I have a quick question about crafting. I have some items that say I can use them to increase the chance of getting a critical success on items, but I can't figure out how to use them. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to use them?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »

Quote from: DocD on June 10, 2010, 07:43:07 PM

Do we have a guild on Landroval? I enjoyed the game enough after the 10 day trial enough to sign up. I have a Captain that 17 and Runekeeper thats 5. I have a quick question about crafting. I have some items that say I can use them to increase the chance of getting a critical success on items, but I can't figure out how to use them. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to use them?

You can't get critical successes in a crafting tier until you've reached Master level in that tier. Once you do, you'll have access to a separate tab for items that have a crit version (most of them do). This tab will show you your chance of critting, and if it's possible to add an item to increase the chance, you'll see which item is needed and what effect it will have. You use the item by clicking a checkbox on this tab.

So essentially, once you reach a crafting tier you can make ordinary items of that tier. Once you master a tier, you can make critical items from that tier.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 10, 2010, 08:13:29 PM

Quote from: DocD on June 10, 2010, 07:43:07 PM

You can't get critical successes in a crafting tier until you've reached Master level in that tier. Once you do, you'll have access to a separate tab for items that have a crit version (most of them do). This tab will show you your chance of critting, and if it's possible to add an item to increase the chance, you'll see which item is needed and what effect it will have. You use the item by clicking a checkbox on this tab.

So essentially, once you reach a crafting tier you can make ordinary items of that tier. Once you master a tier, you can make critical items from that tier.

Also, you can not build up towards a master tier of a higher skill level until the lower level is completely finished.  So you start Apprentice and fill that bar.  Once it's filled you can now make Journeyman recipes.  You also have the ability to start filling up the Apprentice Master box too if you keep making Apprentice recipes.  But you can't fill any points towards Journeyman Master until Apprentice Master is completely filled.  Sorry, it looks a lot more complicated here than it really is in game smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2010, 06:30:18 AM »

As a little follow-up to that: If you want to make sure you're not wasting crafting resources, make sure you finish mastery of the previous tier before you finish the normal part of the next tier. In other words, once you finish Apprentice and become Journeyman, make sure you master Apprentice before you reach the tier after Journeyman, or you risk wasting resources that could be spent mastering Journeyman.

At one point you're going to have to choose a crafting guild to join as well. You can only join one, so even if you've got 3 separate skills that have guilds, only one of them can be truly mastered this way. By building reputation with your guild (by crafting symbols they ask for) you gain access to some truly powerful recipes.

The process of completely mastering a crafting skill is long and demanding, so be prepared for what you're getting into. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »

One thing to be aware of - Mostly, by the time you can make some good stuff, you have outlevelled it. At least, if this isnt a second char or so that you can fill with money. I mostly use my crafting to complement my other chars crafting, and help "each other" out

A new one
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »

Massively has info up on Volume 3: Book 2..  Most of it is a repeat of what Blackadar reported, plus there's a copy of the Enedwaith map.  I like this part:

Turbine will make the old world raid instances available through the Skirmish interface for any group size, from solo to 24-man raid. These aren't technically Skrimishes so you will receive no Skirmish Marks, but they use the Skirmish technology to set the instance difficulty, port you there and then drop you back into the world when you are done. No word yet on if you be able to solo the raid trophies, but they are working on more cosmetic rewards with the graphical look of the old world raid armor.

It'll be good to explore some of the level 50 raid areas that have been largely abandoned since I joined the game (I joined post MoM, and these areas have been deserted since I started).  Also:

The last feature coming with the new patch is DX11 support. We weren't shown the shininess of Middle-earth using DX11 technology, but were promised screenshots soon.

Players will be glad to hear that both Housing and Hobbies are getting some love. No specifics were given other than Housing getting an "upgrade" and a new Hobby is in the works. These plans are long-term and not for the upcoming patch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:35:44 AM by ydejin » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »

Two things I liked from that article: The raids as skirmishes thing is a welcome change. The Rift and Helegrod have become way too low level to be challenging any more unless you go in with a smaller group, and then things get a little unpredictable. Now I can have the opportunity to see Helegrod for myself (never got into any raid groups for it. It requires 24 people!).

The other thing I like is the raid equipment as cosmetics. I've been using two pieces of the Rift captain gear as cosmetics for ages now because they look better than anything else I've found. Being able to get these turned into cosmetic items (either by a direct conversion which I'm not sure will be available, or by just earning them again somehow) will be nice, particularly since that will allow me to put them into the new wardrobe and thus save vault space. smile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »

Hmmph, looks like Massively was wrong.  Developer posts on the LOTRO Forums:

Quote from: Berephon
Also, to nip a rumor in the bud: TTH was correct in regard to the instance scaling, Massively was not. There is more info coming on that, so I won't go into greater detail.
(source)

Quote from: Sapience
To clear up any misunderstandings; Instances will be scaled by the player, not automatically. It works like the level setting for Skirmishes. So for something like Helegrod you could choose to run it at level 61 if you wanted. I know some are worried about a 'solo raid'. The instances will not scale in terms of group size. Fighting Thorog is still going to take 24 people.
Also, not every instance will be scaled at launch. The team is working hard to get as many in as they can, but time is finite. The plan is to revist them all, but they're not all going to happen in Book 2.
(source)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »

So, I decided to grab the chance for a lifetime sub before it is cancelled - 110 euros, which is a pretty nice price. I kinda like the idea that I can take the time I want to do things, instead of feeling that I *have* to do soemthing to get my moneys worth.

I have great faith in LOTRO and the world just feels right to me now, for some reason...And the new stuff will only improve the game I'm sure.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2010, 06:42:47 AM »

One nice thing about the new scalable instances that I started thinking about: If people will be able to do level 65 versions of Carn Dum and Urugarth, it should become easier for newer players to get their class items (few level 65 players will have need of the Putrid Slime of Helchgam for example, except to put up at the AH) at level 50. This should benefit everyone. smile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 18, 2010, 06:31:53 AM

So, I decided to grab the chance for a lifetime sub before it is cancelled - 110 euros, which is a pretty nice price. I kinda like the idea that I can take the time I want to do things, instead of feeling that I *have* to do soemthing to get my moneys worth.

I have great faith in LOTRO and the world just feels right to me now, for some reason...And the new stuff will only improve the game I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  Apparently DDO subscriptions have doubled since they switched to f2p, so clearly people are seeing value in being subscribed.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2010, 06:45:37 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 18, 2010, 06:42:47 AM

One nice thing about the new scalable instances that I started thinking about: If people will be able to do level 65 versions of Carn Dum and Urugarth, it should become easier for newer players to get their class items (few level 65 players will have need of the Putrid Slime of Helchgam for example, except to put up at the AH) at level 50. This should benefit everyone. smile

IIRC putrid slime and other class quest items are now also available as skirmish rewards.

[oops that's "now also" not "no also"]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:25:54 AM by ydejin » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on June 18, 2010, 06:45:37 AM

Quote from: TiLT on June 18, 2010, 06:42:47 AM

IIRC putrid slime and other class quest items are no also available as skirmish rewards.

Yeah, but they are very expensive. For about the same amount of skirmish marks you can get a Scroll of Empowerment, which currently sells for 12 gold on my server.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: