http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online enters the Third Ag- um.... Year.  (Read 4597 times)
Jaddison
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »

Captain is the class i have found easiest to solo with and I have taken every class except burglar to 40.  My hunter has some issues with multiple mobs...started out like gangbusters but in the 40s things got a lot harder for the hunter.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 05, 2010, 04:35:14 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 04:29:09 PM

Quote from: Jag on May 05, 2010, 04:27:10 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 04:08:00 PM

I'm rolling a Rune Keeper, sounds perfect.

Screw the hobbitfreaks.. I'll be soloing mostly anyway.

Don't go Runekeeper. I regretted it for my mostly solo effort (think I got to the upper 40s). Go Hunter. The travel options will save you a TON of time.

Please explain.

I don't know what problem with the Runekeeper Jag is referring to, but the Hunter is the only class I got past 15. They have all the personal and group ports and are a lot of fun to solo. Good direct damage with some limited crowd control capability (traps). They also have tracking, which can come in handy from time to time.

I don't have any problems with Runekeeper. It is a wonderful and fun class to play. As a well done hybrid you can go from damage to heal very easily. But it is not the best solo class which is what he was asking about. My point was if I realized I would be playing this game mostly solo, I would have rolled a Hunter. Moreso now that they made the game more solo friendly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:26:29 PM by Jag » Logged
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

So I rolled a Dwarven RK, and I'm loving the game so far.  Seems like a perfect class for me, the attunement system is neat.  Up to level 7 in a short first session, and I'm a bit dissapointed that the skirmish system which has gotten me so excited to play LOTRO isn't avail until I'm level 30!!!

How long can I expect to take to get to 30?

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 11, 2010, 04:58:31 PM

So I rolled a Dwarven RK, and I'm loving the game so far.  Seems like a perfect class for me, the attunement system is neat.  Up to level 7 in a short first session, and I'm a bit dissapointed that the skirmish system which has gotten me so excited to play LOTRO isn't avail until I'm level 30!!!

How long can I expect to take to get to 30?

Not long. Those levels fly by and you'll have more than enough quests to keep you busy.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »

Thanks!

I hate to ask, but is there any way to equate that to Wow level time?

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »

Dunno. I only played one character to level 59 in WoW, and that was years ago. LOTRO felt like it took shorter for the early levels, but that may just be because I found LOTRO to be much more fun than WoW:
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 11, 2010, 05:39:23 PM

Thanks!

I would say they are about the same. LotRO used to take longer, but Turbine really revamped the starting areas through lvl 30 to make it easier and smoother to lvl up. The problem I see you running into is that not all of the skirmishes open up a lvl 30. You have to reach certain lvls to unlock most skirmishes, but some also require you to complete certain quests. But, if memory serves three of them do open up at lvl 30.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »

I just have to say that this game is phenomenal.  It oozes with character.

I find myself actually reading quest entries, etc.  I hope they continue to support this game, because it could be the casual MMO I've been waiting for.

"Goonies never say die"
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 11, 2010, 07:28:48 PM

I find myself actually reading quest entries, etc.  I hope they continue to support this game, because it could be the casual MMO I've been waiting for.

Welcome to the life of a RK!  It's not the easy-mode class that some make it out to be, especially when dealing with multiple mobs.  But it's powerful and pretty fun. 

I think LOTRO is a thinking-man's MMO.  LOTRO almost requires you to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere. 

What server did you choose?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »

I have a free week on this atm. I have 16 champion and 27 Hunter and i have to admit to be struggling to get in to it at all. I log in and find i don't know what the hell i am doing. The travel system really sucks. I want to be able to click on a travel system and then see a map of where i can go, i dont want to have to work it out because i have forgotten the name of the town where i have some active quests. This really put me off.

Some thigns need to be easy and intuitive straight away or you lose interest very quickly. I am tempted to start again if levelling is quicker and try to see what i learn as i go.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 11, 2010, 07:58:24 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 11, 2010, 07:28:48 PM

Welcome to the life of a RK!  It's not the easy-mode class that some make it out to be, especially when dealing with multiple mobs.  But it's powerful and pretty fun. 

I think LOTRO is a thinking-man's MMO.  LOTRO almost requires you to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere. 

What server did you choose?

Landroval

"Goonies never say die"
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:05 PM »

I'll be coming back to the game soon, but will probably start a new char.  My level 17 and 13 left me CONFUSED, although I'll likely donate their stuff to the new toon.  Heck, forgot I even have a Kinship.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 11, 2010, 07:25:10 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 11, 2010, 05:39:23 PM

Thanks!

I would say they are about the same. LotRO used to take longer, but Turbine really revamped the starting areas through lvl 30 to make it easier and smoother to lvl up. The problem I see you running into is that not all of the skirmishes open up a lvl 30. You have to reach certain lvls to unlock most skirmishes, but some also require you to complete certain quests. But, if memory serves three of them do open up at lvl 30.

Check the lotro lorebook wiki on skirmishes for the list (it's the first item below the contents).
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Skirmish_Compendium

As for time to level to 30, it goes fast into the teens and continues on at a good clip into the 20s, slowing slightly as you approach 30. I know a guildie went from 7 to 25 over the weekend, but it's his 5th alt so he knows the drill pretty well.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

with the way they have grouped quest givers now it makes it much much easier to level.  The Barrows even has easy to do repeatable quests that yield shards.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »

It looks like I'm going to have to pony up $25 to transfer servers.  Winfola is just virtually dead.  Even "large" guilds rarely have more than 10 members on at any given time.  So some RL friends have started playing again, but they've moved to Brandywine.  So I suppose it's off to Brandywine I go...

The real bitch?  I JUST - this past weekend - bought a large house.  There's 7g I won't get back.   mad

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 12, 2010, 05:55:42 PM

It looks like I'm going to have to pony up $25 to transfer servers.  Winfola is just virtually dead.  Even "large" guilds rarely have more than 10 members on at any given time.  So some RL friends have started playing again, but they've moved to Brandywine.  So I suppose it's off to Brandywine I go...

The real bitch?  I JUST - this past weekend - bought a large house.  There's 7g I won't get back.   mad

Really? That's pretty awful

Ale
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »

Dumb question.

Where do I turn in these anniversary tokens I'm getting from the mobs?

"Goonies never say die"
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 13, 2010, 05:13:42 PM

Dumb question.

Keeper of Gifts. I've seen them in Bree and Rivendell.

Ale
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on May 13, 2010, 05:28:38 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 13, 2010, 05:13:42 PM

Dumb question.

Keeper of Gifts. I've seen them in Bree and Rivendell.

Ale

In Bree it's near the boar fountain.  If you mouse over the token it should tell you where to turn them in.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »

Thanks

I'm still in Dwarven starting land.. guess I need to find my way to Bree slywink

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 13, 2010, 05:36:14 PM

Thanks

I'm still in Dwarven starting land.. guess I need to find my way to Bree slywink

Don't rush. Your quests will tell you when it's time to go to Bree. It will probably happen somewhere between level 13 and 15. There's not really much reason to go there earlier, and the tokens will still be accepted for a while, I think.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »

I've just started this game, and have a level 13 Dwarf RNK.  Looking for people to run instances and quest with who aren't going to spoil things, or are new as well.

"Goonies never say die"
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 15, 2010, 08:40:21 PM

I've just started this game, and have a level 13 Dwarf RNK.  Looking for people to run instances and quest with who aren't going to spoil things, or are new as well.

What server?
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 15, 2010, 08:41:27 PM

What server?

Landroval

"Goonies never say die"
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

Hey I started on Landroval too, a couple new characters.

Tairi -- Runekeeper
Kepow -- Champion

I'm not always on every day, but give me a shout if you see me.  I'm very new, as I haven't played since launch.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »

I just recently started back up and my toons are on Landroval as well.  Will get my character names and post them.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »

Character name is: Productorin

I joined a kinship with the folks over at GWJ.

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

I've been completely hooked on this game again for the past week. Got my captain up to level 63 and made him Supreme Master Metalsmith (holy hell what a grind that was, particularly since I did the majority of it before it was patched to become easier and cheaper) who is kindred with the Metalsmith Guild. I'm going to make myself a full suit of teal crafted armor now to celebrate, but it will take a few weeks considering the cooldown on the ingredients. Yes, I know better armor is available in instances and raids. No, I'm not particularly motivated to start grinding equipment in that way. Perhaps when I'm level 65.

I also returned to my level 11 warden and boosted him up to 19. He's very fun to play and can kill things incredibly fast. I regularly see him two-shot enemies, something my captain can't even dream of doing. I'm sure this will become impossible at higher levels, but it sure is refreshing to plow through hordes of enemies like this without taking a break. smile

Adventuring in Bree-lands is now completely different from what I remember. Back in the old days we'd start questing in the Bree-lands between levels 13 and 15 and be ready to move to the Lone-lands by level 17. Now it looks like you're supposed to go to Bree-lands around level 15 and stay there until at least level 20, and then head to North Downs. The few Lone-lands quests I have so far are level 22 or higher. I haven't even been to the Barrow-downs yet, and don't know if I'm going to get quests to lead me there or if I'm supposed to go there on my own. I'm betting the former, but we'll see. The Old Forest has changed a LOT since the early days of the game. Back in the beta the forest would change constantly. The path you took when heading into the forest might not be there when you were heading back, and you had no map to help you out. Elite Huorns would attack you whenever you got too close, and even attempting to flee was dangerous as roots would come out of the ground to attack you. In short, the forest was dark, dangerous and hard to navigate. Some people loved it, some hated it. By the game's release they made the forest static but still kept it unmapped. Due to the design it was still incredibly easy to become lost in there. In a later patch they tuned down the Huorns to make them signature instead of elite, and they stopped aggroing on sight. Now there's even a detailed map of the forest that pops up once you enter. Getting lost in there is pretty much impossible at this point.

I'm curious how big the changes to the Lone-lands are now. I always hated questing there (it consisted of almost nothing but "kill x boars" quests in a dull landscape), but with the redesign it's supposed to be much better.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »

If anyoneis on elendilmir give me a shout. I still play regularly.

Hanton is my main
Mclush is my alt that I am leveling.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 18, 2010, 09:33:24 PM

I'm curious how big the changes to the Lone-lands are now. I always hated questing there (it consisted of almost nothing but "kill x boars" quests in a dull landscape), but with the redesign it's supposed to be much better.

Major

Seriously, the Lone Lands was where accounts used to go to die.  The running back and forth between quest hubs was absurd, the quests were lame, the mobs were far too difficult at places and it just sucked.  When I took my RK through this last time, I spent 8 levels in the LLs and never got bored.  They added a couple of quest hubs, moved a few around, changed the story a bit and the experience was pretty darn good.  I was actually sad to leave.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »

Okay, created new character, had both other chars sell everything and ship me trophies and money, on Landroval as 'Thawne'
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »

Just resubbed this as well , and I agree with Tilt - man , things have changed...I've made a Warden as well, lvl 20 now, and am running about in the North as well, wondering if I ever get to the LoneLands and such :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:58 AM »

Which server are you on, Razgon?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 08:15:52 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 19, 2010, 07:33:58 AM

On the RP one...really cant remember the name right now though...wait, thats where you are as well, right? My current used toons are called Razgon and the new one, my warden is called Iellias, my warden..thats probably the one I'll be on the most :-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2010, 08:15:52 AM

On the RP one...really cant remember the name right now though...wait, thats where you are as well, right? My current used toons are called Razgon and the new one, my warden is called Iellias, my warden..thats probably the one I'll be on the most :-)

The RP server is Laurelin, and that's where I am as well. My characters are Galagoras (Captain level 63), Braggo (Burglar level 29) and Galagaran (Warden level 19).
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 19, 2010, 08:19:08 AM

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2010, 08:15:52 AM

The RP server is Laurelin, and that's where I am as well. My characters are Galagoras (Captain level 63), Braggo (Burglar level 29) and Galagaran (Warden level 19).

Just for those who don't know, Laurelin is the EU RP server.  Landroval is the North American RP server.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »

Finally got my card from the Great White North.      Since everyone seems to be on Landroval,  I've started a character there as well.   I'm Glumbli,  a Dwarven champion.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

How many folks are still in Eyes of the Watcher?  I've been playing a bit since I got my cheap 60 day sub cards and I'm not sure where everyone is. 

just figured out how skirmish battles work.  pretty neat.  i'll probably take my lvl 22 warden out to lone lands tonight to check out these changes folks are crowing about.

i also have Dagg the Man Burglar, a lvl 51 alt.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »

We're either on Landroval or Elendilmir. So tell us which one you are on.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 26, 2010, 02:54:40 PM

We're either on Landroval or Elendilmir. So tell us which one you are on.

whoops, sorry.   icon_redface 

Landroval

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: