http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online enters the Third Ag- um.... Year.  (Read 4565 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

and is celebrating with special subscription rates plus the usual special items.  I imagine they'll also be reactivating old accounts for this at some point, and I'll make my yearly attempt to get sucked into the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »

I did log in again for the first time in ages, perhaps even a year. Got me hooked again right away. smile Did my first few skirmishes in duo mode with a friend of mine, and we found them to be really fun and challenging, though perhaps a little long. It's nice that you can configure the experience so freely to suit your needs. You can set the level you want the enemies to be (especially nice if there's a gap in levels in the fellowship), the overall challenge of the skirmish (3 different ranks), and how many players it should be balanced for (1, 2, 3, 6 or 12), and what skirmish you want to play. They generally seem to come in two types: Offensive and defensive.

In the offensive ones you clear an area of enemies before claiming a flag. Once you do, there's a very high chance that the enemy will immediately launch a massive counterattack which you have to defeat. When that is done, you own that control point and move on to the next one. This repeats until you control all points.

The defensive ones have you simply defending one or more spots. For example, in the Siege of Gondamon, you defend a dwarf fortress that is being attacked from three sides. You need to pay attention to messages telling you where the next attack is coming from, then run there and deal with it. You lose if the dwarf in the middle of the fortress dies, which can quickly happen if you don't pay attention. In the end there's usually some kind of boss to defeat before victory can be claimed.

You get to create and level your own soldier NPC to follow you into skirmishes. I'm using a Herbalist, who specializes in healing and restoring power, but can't attack. If you want to do well in skirmishes, you'll spend most of the skirmish points you earn to level up this NPC, and that soon gets expensive. There's a whole load of things you can spend these things on, including weapons, armor, jewelry, cosmetics, and even stuff to help out in crafting (mass producing of ingots comes to mind. One recipe you can buy lets you create 25 ingots at a time instead of the usual 1, IIRC).

Another nifty thing with skirmishes is that you can have a fellowship all fight in one without having to meet up. You just hit Ctrl+J anywhere in the world and get instantly teleported to the skirmish. When it's over, you get teleported back. Really easy.

I'm also having fun with the Mirkwood area. It's pretty large and very solo-friendly, and it has some unusual quest types for MMORPGs ("patrol this road", "scout this orc camp for weak spots", "gather 10 boar meat"... oh wait. slywink ).
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »

The skirmishes are great. If you are looking for one that is short, I recommend Stand at Amon Sul, which takes about 15 minutes.

Another bonus with the skirmishes is that they do provide lots of XP if you run them regularly. I always see people complain they have trouble leveling from mid 30s to 40. This is not an issue if you do skirmishes. The three you can do by 35 will get you a huge chunk of a level if you do each one just once a day. (This assumes you don't fail, since the bonus XP for completion is sizable.)

I usually run skirmishes solo. I finally did a couple 3-mans and it ups the challenge a fair bit. The mobs go from swarm/normal with signature bosses to normal/sig with elite bosses. The kicker is that the friendly npcs don't scale up, so if you need to keep them alive (like Mathi at Gondamon) it gets pretty hairy sometimes. Some of the lieutenants change as well. You'll never see a Priestess of Flame or the elemental Grims when solo for example. If you are new to skirmishes, I'd say start with a few solo to get the hang of it and earn some marks to level up your soldier.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »

I played this at launch, but didn't get into it for various reasons.

The skirmishes sound perfect for me, a casual soloer.  I'm kicking myself for missing that recent $9.99 deal!

"Goonies never say die"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »

Depending on your class type, skirmishes can be fun or they'll constantly pound your face in the dirt and have you cursing yourself for ever giving MMOs a chance.  icon_razz

I thought I'd love 'em but some of them are numbingly difficult to get through, or the kind where you get through 97% of it and then they throw 3 bosses are you and your allies drop, and BOOM.

Sorry, I just wanted to spoil the good cheer. Besides, a benefit of being lifetime on LOTRO is I can put it down as much as I want cause they've got all the money from me they'll ever get (subscription wise).  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »

So how has this game come along since launch?  I thought it was pretty solid back then, but haven't played since that time.

Is the majority of the game soloable now (similar to WoW)?  Other than dungeons of course.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 05, 2010, 12:44:59 AM

So how has this game come along since launch?  I thought it was pretty solid back then, but haven't played since that time.

Is the majority of the game soloable now (similar to WoW)?  Other than dungeons of course.

Eminently soloable.  I'd say I've soloed 95% of my time running 1-65.  Even more soloable now, given the fact that the Epic Quests have been redsigned to allow players to do it either in a group or solo.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on May 05, 2010, 12:51:53 AM

Eminently soloable.  I'd say I've soloed 95% of my time running 1-65.  Even more soloable now, given the fact that the Epic Quests have been redsigned to allow players to do it either in a group or solo.

Yeah I agree very soloable at this point. Of course in order to get the most out of the game you need to have a good group of friends. There are tons of great instances in the game that reguire 3 to 6 players. Non are mandatory, but it would be a shame to miss them.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:45 AM »

Sounds good, thanks ydejin and scraper.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10:42 AM »

Even more soloable now, given the fact that the Epic Quests have been redsigned to allow players to do it either in a group or solo.

Hmm, my hunter may rise from the dead. Between that and what I'm hearing about skirmishes, this could be worth a little bit of my time. smile I think I quit at 54 or 55 and the book quests I stopped in my 20s.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:15:55 AM »

10GB to download/verify, er maybe tomorrow night. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:35 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 04, 2010, 11:00:05 PM

Depending on your class type, skirmishes can be fun or they'll constantly pound your face in the dirt and have you cursing yourself for ever giving MMOs a chance.  icon_razz

I thought I'd love 'em but some of them are numbingly difficult to get through, or the kind where you get through 97% of it and then they throw 3 bosses are you and your allies drop, and BOOM.

Sorry, I just wanted to spoil the good cheer. Besides, a benefit of being lifetime on LOTRO is I can put it down as much as I want cause they've got all the money from me they'll ever get (subscription wise).  icon_smile

What people are saying is that skirmishes at Tier 1 are very easy, and my impressions back this up. There's not really a big challenge there. It only gets challenging if you up the tier to 2 or 3, or you try doing content at your own level without leveling up your soldier first (he begins at approximately level 29).

On the other hand, there seems to be a bug with duo skirmishes right now. They are pretty much exactly the same as small fellowship skirmishes, only with less rewards. This should be fixed for the next big patch, but it's worth keeping in mind. A friend and I started our skirmishing experience playing duo, and it was extremely challenging even 3 levels below mine. We still won though. slywink Playing solo I have no problems at all, rarely even dropping below 75% morale as a Captain.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »

Alright I'm resubbing, and have the original plus Mines of Moria.

Do I need the Siege of Mirkwood expansion?

I will be soloing 99 percent of the time, with the odd PUG.  What classes are fun?

In WoW my favorite char was Shadow Priest.  I also like casters.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:25:53 AM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 11:22:52 AM

Only if you're planning to go past level 60. As far as I remember, Siege of Mirkwood only adds a new area (Southern Mirkwood with the fortress of Dol Guldur) and the ability to level from 60 to 65.

I will be soloing 99 percent of the time, with the odd PUG.  What classes are fun?

All the classes are fun, both solo and in groups. Pick whatever seems more fun to you. The game even has videos for each class to show off how they work. Sounds like you might like the Minstrel class though, so give that a look.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 11:22:52 AM

1.  You don't need the Siege of Mirkwood expansion until you hit level 60.  At level 40 you'll start to see some skirmishes that you can't get into, but that's about all the content you're missing until 60.  My main is currently 54, just having entered Moria, and haven't missed Mirkwood one bit yet. 

2.  Check out all the classes, but I would disagree with TiTL's suggestion that you play a Minstrel.  I have one at level 53 and that class choice caused me to quit the game multiple times.  I'm probably one of the few founders still playing (pre-order beta players) who still hasn't had a max level character...and that's in large part due to running a minnie.  I found it very tedious, very difficult to solo the many multiple mob pulls that you'll get and overall very disappointing. 

I'm playing a Rune-Keeper, which is a mage/priest combo.  The trick is that you can only do one at a time - as you ramp up damage, you can't cast healing spells and vice versa.  You're fragile, but you can solo multiple mobs and you have one escape spell if you get in trouble.  As a former WoW priest, I've found the rune-keeper to be a pretty interesting class in a game where I don't like many of the classes.

The release of LOTRO was solid, but I found the game to be lacking a soul in a lot of places.  Since then, they've done some things that I really like.  The skirmishes are a great diversion - it allows you to accomplish something solo in a 30 minute time-frame.  The option to solo all of Volume 1 (14 books each with 6-12 chapters) is a HUGE plus in my opinion.  The story lines from these books are some of the most compelling content in the game and the ability to do these without having to beg for a group every 3 chapters is a massive improvement.  The revamp of the Lone-Lands is another huge improvement, with more compelling quests and a much better flow to the zone.  The game used to drag like hell in that zone, but now it's pretty sweet.  I haven't delved that deeply into Moria yet, but I've heard the content in there is more compelling than much of the original content.  And Legendary Weapons add another dimension that you can level up and customize to fit your play-style. 

Most of those changes are small, but I'm further along in the last 3 months than I was in the prior 3 years.  Now if I could find a decent guild to join to experience some of the dungeon content and if they'd revamp housing to make it more like EQ2, we'd be all set.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

I am a lifetime subscriber, but have been away from the game for about a year.  I was looking for something to play the other day so I reinstalled this.  The game really is solid.  I am currently on the Landroval server, where is everyone else at?  I have a lvl 24 warden, not sure if I want to keep going with him or something else.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »

Turbine also has a lottery for in game rewards.  If you go to http://my.lotro.com/ and log in, you'll see a Click Here button on the left underneath the caption Enter to Win.  There are weekly lotteries, as well as special lotteries depending on the event, for example, there have been multiple lotteries throughout the day for the anniversary tokens and gifts.  I've even won a horse during the spring festival lotteries.

Some known issues with the lottery system can be found here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=299634

Good luck smile

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »

Warden solos really well, but AIUI can be a bit difficult getting into raids in end game.  I never had problems getting into a pickup group with my Warden for regular questing though.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 05, 2010, 12:37:34 PM

I'm probably one of the few founders still playing (pre-order beta players) who still hasn't had a max level character...and that's in large part due to running a minnie.

Does patching ever few months count as still playing? Well if it did I would be one of those as well. slywink I think my hunter is 53 or 54. I stopped playing within the free month at around 42, started playing after Moria, quit again within a few hours of actually getting inside Moria and realizing it was boring, bought Mirkwood and didn't even patch it until last night. I'm thinking about playing again though. I really should try it again before they decide to shutter the servers anyhow. smile

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »

I had no idea the Book quests were now soloable. That was the sole reason for quitting because I wanted to play through the storyline, but could never get groups for it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »

Quote from: Jag on May 05, 2010, 02:15:42 PM

I had no idea the Book quests were now soloable. That was the sole reason for quitting because I wanted to play through the storyline, but could never get groups for it.

I haven't tried this myself, but supposedly the content is exactly the same, only you get a massive buff if you try the group content (in the main storyline only) solo. The quests are also somewhat more challenging this way, I'm told.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 05, 2010, 02:23:15 PM

Quote from: Jag on May 05, 2010, 02:15:42 PM

I haven't tried this myself, but supposedly the content is exactly the same, only you get a massive buff if you try the group content (in the main storyline only) solo. The quests are also somewhat more challenging this way, I'm told.

Yea, they're soloable and damn fun too!  I couldn't tell you if they're more or less challenging solo.  Virtually every group book I did was tagging along with a high level character who blew through the content, rendering it trivial and not all that much fun.  Now, it's all on me and I can do them at my leisure.

I think only the first volume (pre-Moria) is soloable.  I don't think they've made the same changes to the Moria books yet. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

I say go with the Rune Keeper as well. It's definitely the best spell caster class in the game and you can solo really well with them. The Loremaster is the other major spell casting class, but they don't solo well at all.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »

The problem with the Rune Keeper is that it contradicts the things Tolkien wrote about Middle Earth, so if the lore is important to you I say choose something else. Also, there seems to be a certain group of players (dunno how many they are, but I've seen a lot of them) who refuses to group up with Rune Keepers for the aforementioned reason. Keep that in mind.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »

I'm rolling a Rune Keeper, sounds perfect.

Screw the hobbitfreaks.. I'll be soloing mostly anyway.

"Goonies never say die"
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 04:08:00 PM

Don't go Runekeeper. I regretted it for my mostly solo effort (think I got to the upper 40s). Go Hunter. The travel options will save you a TON of time.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 04:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Jag on May 05, 2010, 04:27:10 PM

Don't go Runekeeper. I regretted it for my mostly solo effort (think I got to the upper 40s). Go Hunter. The travel options will save you a TON of time.

Please explain.

"Goonies never say die"
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 05, 2010, 04:29:09 PM

Quote from: Jag on May 05, 2010, 04:27:10 PM

Please explain.

I don't know what problem with the Runekeeper Jag is referring to, but the Hunter is the only class I got past 15. They have all the personal and group ports and are a lot of fun to solo. Good direct damage with some limited crowd control capability (traps). They also have tracking, which can come in handy from time to time.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »

On the other hand, Hunters are the most commonly played class in the game by a large factor, so you'll have an even harder time finding groups when you need them.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 05, 2010, 04:36:39 PM

On the other hand, Hunters are the most commonly played class in the game by a large factor, so you'll have an even harder time finding groups when you need them.

I don't think Hunters are as over-played as they used to be. On Silverlode I see a lot of Wardens these days. I see all classes of course but the days of getting in a fellowship and it being 3 hunters, 2 champions and yourself are past.

My Warden alt is 42. I have no complaints. They do solo very well, have some self-only ports - Ost Guruth, Esteldin, Tinnudir (and Rivendell at 44), and the run speed buff. My Runekeeper is only 24, so I have little insight on how they play at higher levels. My main just hit 65, and is a Minstrel. I have no trouble soloing with one. Fights way back in the day used to be tedious, yes, but when they added Warspeech, and if you trait for dps, you can kill mobs rather fast (although not as fast as a champ, hunter or runekeeper).

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

I re-subbed myself last night.  The highest character I had was a level 26 Burglar.  But I remember literally *nothing* about how to play, so I'm thinking of just starting a new class from level 1.

Are most people here or on OO playing on a certain server, or is everyone just basically going solo?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

Also, what melee class is the best soloer and most fun?
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »

I'm going to hit Landoval sp?

There are a few GWJ peeps there as well.

"Goonies never say die"
IamChuckles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

I am on Landroval as well.  I have a level 25 Warden (Ariador), a 17 Guardian (my sons), and a level 15 Hunter.  I think we should start a kinship.  I personally enjoy the crafting in the game as well.   
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 05, 2010, 06:09:43 PM

You can solo a hunter and a champ fairly well. I really cant say which one is more fun, but there certainly seems to be a lot of hunters in the game so people must like that class.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »

There's a lot of melee in this game, so you've got a bit of choice. Personally I love the Captain to death, though some would call it a bit slow. It's a very flexible class that can handle moderately large groups of enemies with ease, and everyone loves having a Captain in their group because of the buffs and its versatility. I'm every bit as at home with healing as I'm with melee combat (in fact, my best heals come from killing enemies or doing critical hits in melee combat with certain attacks), and I can off-tank easily. The class' only problems is that it has very low DPS compared to other classes (on the other hand, try to find a hunter who can handle a group of 4 on-level enemies in a crowded, hostile camp!) and isn't as interesting at low levels as it becomes later.

I wouldn't swap him for any other class though. smile

As for servers, I'm stuck on the European side of things, so there's no chance of us playing together anyway. Still, the server I'm on is Laurelin, the roleplay server.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 05, 2010, 07:24:12 PM

You can solo a hunter and a champ fairly well. I really cant say which one is more fun, but there certainly seems to be a lot of hunters in the game so people must like that class.

Since when did Hunter become a melee class? slywink
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 05, 2010, 07:28:25 PM

Quote from: Scraper on May 05, 2010, 07:24:12 PM

Since when did Hunter become a melee class? slywink

I assume he means high DPS that isn't a magic caster, thus Champs and Hunters. I would actually put your suggestion of a Captain in as a tank/bard type character, not a melee character. Of course this is assuming he means high DPS and not just that they are close range fighters.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »

I meant melee as in close range hand-combat fighting... so not a Hunter.   slywink

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm gonna create a Champion on Landoval right now.
IamChuckles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »

I agree with your choice of a champion.  I have a tailor,metalsmith,jeweller, and weaponsmith who can help you out with some early items if you want.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: