http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loot Rules  (Read 2501 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »

I was grouped with somebody in a pickup group who was 10 levels higher than I am running through Scarlet Monestary. (L36 Shaman here, he was a L46 Warrior)  He agreed to help but only if he could have Herrod's Shoulder drop when we got that far.  Have you guys encountered bizzaro loot rules like that or is it just people like this guy being a jackass?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »

I don't see it as being a jackass.  He's 10 levels higher than you, and helping you get through an area much easier than you were on your own.  He wants one item, you get everything else....it seems pretty fair to me.  You could always tell him no. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 05:42:32 PM »

Oh you can bet he was rolling on every damned item as well as that little requirement.  

As far as telling him no, I told him we can roll on it.  He said he wouldn't help, I told him he could find another group if that wasn't acceptable, so he shut up.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 05:42:57 PM »

Completely agree with Zarkon here, actually. You wouldn't be there that early in your career without some high level backup. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I was grouped with somebody in a pickup group who was 10 levels higher than I am running through Scarlet Monestary. (L36 Shaman here, he was a L46 Warrior)  He agreed to help but only if he could have Herrod's Shoulder drop when we got that far.  Have you guys encountered bizzaro loot rules like that or is it just people like this guy being a jackass?

If it was just you and him, then I would have to agree with Zark that it is more than fair for you. You would come out way ahead in the loot and coin department.

If he was filling a spot in your group, then it really depends. Do others in the group need it also? If so, then my rule of thumb is to not be a part of a group where one person "claims" a piece of loot. There are exceptions though. Like if, for example, the only other tank in the group did not want them to begin with, then I would all for letting this guy claim them if he passed on all other stuff. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 05:50:26 PM »

Completely agree with Zarkon here, actually. You wouldn't be there that early in your career without some high level backup.

Think again plushie.  Maybe you soft little elvsies can't go there but 4 level 36-39 Taurens went through just fine without Mr. Loot

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 06:01:08 PM »

The minute he started rolling, I would have dumped him.  I had a level 40 teamed with my level 15 warlock, and he was killing everything for me, looting a share of copper and tradeskill stuff, but giving anything green to me flat out.  Was nice smile
The Chauffeur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »

I do that as well when I'm in an lower level area and there is someone lower then me needing help with a quest I've already finished.

I usually don't grab any of the loot since most of the stuff that would drop would be vendor bait.

A good rep with other players is often worth more then a few silver from a vendor.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 10:55:22 PM »

I see that sort of stuff all the time, so I dunno what the big deal is. If you don't agree to his prerequisites, then don't bring him along.

But if you want his high-level help, then you have to play by his rules.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 11:24:16 PM »

Thats standard fare on my server. For that matter I've done it myself if there was a single item I was looking for I've offered to help lower level people/groups through instances on the condition Im guaranteed the one item, HOWEVER I pass on all other drops under those circumstances. I've also run folks through much much lower instances as well taking no loot at all. Personally I have no problem with someone claiming a specific piece of gear in an instance IF I feel doing the run would be extremely difficult or impossible without there help but I would drop the group if they started looting normal drops as well.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 04:26:13 PM »

I've also heard of folks making rules like that.  On one hand, if you're comfortable with it, then I don't see the issue.  I would probably make some sort of demand on my own, based on the other stuff Herod might drop (like Ravager or something).  

One thing I'm not clear on is whether it was just you and him or if you had a larger group with you.  If it was a larger group, then I suspect I would've tried to see if I could find someone else.

The other thing you can do is ask if he'd be willing to make multiple runs so everyone who needs the item can get it.  The other night we went through the Library and my wife (37 Warlock at the time) rolled for and won Doan's Illusionary Rod.  She needed it bad for the int boost as she was still using a sword she got back in SFK.  We had two Shamans in the group and I made sure they knew we'd be happy to keep going back as many times as it took so they could get the Rod as well.

In the end of it all, your reputation in the game is way more important than some item or gold.  If that guy keeps that kind of behavior up, it'll come back to bite him.

Besides, the bigger question here should be why the heck does a 47 warrior want a level 37 shoulder set with stats that are worse than green items at his level?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

Unless it's a BoP item, to give to his alt or a guildie, probably.  Otherwise...no clue.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 07:15:22 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Unless it's a BoP item, to give to his alt or a guildie, probably.  Otherwise...no clue.

It's definitely BoP (as far as I know all major boss drops are).
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 08:32:54 PM »

As far as I can tell it'd be for the coolness factor. I mean it's just blue mail and warriors get plate at 40.... In fact if I were running with that I'd try and toss it to a Shaman or a Hunter since they get mail at 40.  The item in question is Bind on Pickup so it's definitely for his own benefit.

The critical strike helm, Ravager (axe), and Aegis (shield) are the best loot drops for warriors in that place at that level really.  After a few Uldaman runs I'd given up the helm though (Uldaman can be beat before level 45 and there's a fun plate helm there).

As far as how I feel about people "calling loot", I guess I'd definitely understand if they'd been making many many runs for one particular item and even if I kinda wanted it, I'd probably pass on it for them.  I don't think someone who outright demanded it or they wouldn't go sounds like someone that'd be fun to group with.

I myself am more than happy to go to instances that have no reward/exp for me other than helping someone get a nice piece of loot, or helping a lower level group make it through a tough fight.  Been to Scarlet Monastary and many other lower level instances even when I was 50 a couple of times just to help lower level casters get Doan gear or Whitemane's Chapeau :-)

-obb/Aeolus
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 07:56:58 PM »

Well, as you're a member of the Horde, what do you expect?  Such selfishness runs rampant through the evil Horde.  You're lucky that's all he wanted! ;-)
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 10:31:05 PM »

Hey now no racial fights here....

But Alliance is full of paladins and hunters who have no honor and nina loot stuff. There. I said it :-)

Seriously though, both sides are technically honorable and good.  We have our rogue factions (Undead trying to kill EVERYONE secretly, Night Elves kinda tinkering with nature in a bad way) but we both have noble intentions.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 09:21:44 AM »

Since this is a thread about Loot Rules, I figured I might as well ask a question that has been bothering me for a while in here.

What the heck is group loot?  I mean, is it free for all?  Sometimes when I am in a group, one person can loot a body in group loot, and there is still a shimmering indicating there is loot there.  But no one else sees it but me.  Or I guess them when it is their "turn".  And I am not talking about quest items either.  I find general "stuff" when I loot a body that has already been looted, and they assure me they have taken everything that was on it.

Anyway, I hope that the question is not worded too terribly cryptically to be understood.  I can't find a desctiption for the Group Loot setting anywhere, and I am just wondering if anyone knows for sure what the rules are for that setting.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »

Group loot is not free for all.  The only thing that everyone can loot is the coins.  The items rotate like round robin.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 02:23:20 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
What the heck is group loot?

Pardon, the cross-post, but I just answered this question over at OO last week...

-----------------

Default looting mode is group loot, which is basically the same as a modified version of Round Robin with rolls for items at or above the threshold (greens by default). However, there is a bug with group loot that makes the corpse sparkle for everyone if there's coin on it. Everyone can loot the coin, but only the person whose turn it is can loot any items.

The devs originally defended this as being as intended, but apparently they've done a 180 on that stance as it'll be changed so that coin does not cause the corpse to sparkle for everyone in the group in the patch coming up on Tuesday. So it will really become Round Robin with rolls on items at or above the threshold. This is a huge relief as it was always a pain to be in a group and have everybody attempting to loot every corpse. The bug for the "I can't loot that" error is also getting fixed.

-------------------

And here's a somewhat relevant post on Need Before Greed:

-------------------

I really prefer putting it on Need before Greed, because some people will roll on *any* green/blue/purple item that drops, regardless of whether or not they need it.

I tried NBG at first, and thought it would be the best choice, but the fact that warriors and paladins can roll on everything, but everyone else gets limited was a huge turn off for me.  Now what I do is go for group loot mode, and we all agree beforehand that items get rolled on first by those who will use them, and if no one will use them, then everyone can roll.

-------------------

I'll add here that I think that I've read that the "I can't loot that" bug is caused by a corpse having only coin on it, then someone loots the coin when it's not their "turn."  The corpse still sparkles for you, but it's empty.  At least that's one possible explanation, and fortunately it should be something that'll be going away tomorrow.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 05:20:19 PM »

Thank You!  Now I understand.   biggrin

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: