http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 03:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to JoinAlmost Hero's...  (Read 4224 times)
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »

I'm a member of the Wanderers and was trying to start an Alliance alt.

Wanted to know who to contact in game to get a invite to "Almost Hero's"

If they'll take me!?!?!
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 06:31:17 PM »

I wonder if correct usage of the possessive apostrophe is an entrance requirement.
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 06:32:04 PM »

Lord I hope not!
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:35:58 PM »

Gordo, hit us up at http://www.zengamer.com/forums
Bob
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »

Gordo, if you are a member of the Wanderers on Whisperwind; it's highly suggested that you not have an alliance alt over lvl 5 on Whisperwind.

Just an FYI.
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 06:56:46 PM »

Trying to do crafting/trading stuff...
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:56:57 PM »

Trying to do crafting/trading stuff...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 06:58:35 PM »

Heya, in game, please message Nobby, Zimmy, Teddan, Orgull, Rolande, Shira, or Anari.

We look forward to having you.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 07:00:25 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Gordo, if you are a member of the Wanderers on Whisperwind; it's highly suggested that you not have an alliance alt over lvl 5 on Whisperwind.

Just an FYI.

Why?
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 07:15:19 PM »

Why?

Don't ask....
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 07:22:29 PM »

Quote from: "Gordo"
Why?

Don't ask....

He just did and so do I, why?
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 07:27:39 PM »

There is a concern about cross-teaming, where you could act as a double agent...that is the short and simple.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 07:44:43 PM »

There is a concern about cross-teaming, where you could act as a double agent...that is the short and simple.

On a PvE server?  And why would under 5th level be OK?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"

On a PvE server?  And why would under 5th level be OK?

Well, thats just plain preposterous in my book. Gordo, you are MORE than welcome to join us if you send one of the appropriate people a tell. You need to deal with the stuff from the wanderers on your end in your own way-just know we are happy to have you and wno't think twice about it.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »

Well, thats just plain preposterous in my book. Gordo, you are MORE than welcome to join us if you send one of the appropriate people a tell. You need to deal with the stuff from the wanderers on your end in your own way-just know we are happy to have you and wno't think twice about it.

I think so, too, but wanted to make sure Gordo was aware.   (I have an alt in Almost Heroes, though, that char hasn't gotten much play-time yet.)
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 08:17:02 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Heya, in game, please message Nobby, Zimmy, Teddan, Orgull, Rolande, Shira, or Anari.

And please mail the 5 gold entrance fee to Arakis.

:wink:
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »

Wow.  I just wandered over to the wanderers forum.  Looks like the casual and fun idea didn't last too long.  Makes me glad I never managed to hook up with them in-game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 08:58:55 PM »

Quote from: "Jafisob"
Quote from: "Rage"

And please mail the 5 gold entrance fee to Arakis.

:wink:

And Stabbetty. ooo, and some Irredescent Pearls, Jade, and a bit of Citrine.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 09:01:44 PM »

Wow. I just wandered over to the wanderers forum. Looks like the casual and fun idea didn't last too long. Makes me glad I never managed to hook up with them in-game.

It's not like that at all.  Some temporary growing pains that have already been passed over.

Message boards always have periodic episodes of drama.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 09:26:03 PM »

Just an FYI.

Why?
Simple... Crawl is a delusional nutjob who thinks things like having opposite-side alts on a PvE server are a big deal.

The Wanderers were cool in Horizons and FFXI.  They've changed noticably for the worse, though--possibly because there is different leadership for each game (the World of Warcraft leadership sucks).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 09:36:48 PM »

Wow. I just wandered over to the wanderers forum. Looks like the casual and fun idea didn't last too long. Makes me glad I never managed to hook up with them in-game.

It's not like that at all.  Some temporary growing pains that have already been passed over.

Message boards always have periodic episodes of drama.

Closing membership, a person in charge who hands down unenforceable and unexplained rules that make people go Wha? and responds with "If you don't like it, leave", followed by locking a thread with reasonable questions doesn't sound like a periodic episode of drama or a temporary growing pain.  Seeing Gordo register a new account on another message boards to join a different guild makes me think that's not just an outsider's view.

I'm sure I'm missing layers of internal politics and history, but it makes me very glad I've been spending my time with the AH group.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »

I have to admit after the incredibly lax leadership we had (which I supposed included myself) in our CoH GG SG... it does irritate at times.  I was pretty upset about the rule because even though I generally hadn't yet made an Alliance alt on Whisperwind, I certainly didn't like the fact that I wasn't allowed to.  For reasons that don't quite make 100% sense.  If we're concerned about spying... well what kind of spying is possible?  I doubt someone is going to keep tabs on all 200+ members and their characters.  Raid targets?  Who cares? Surf the Wanderers forums enough and you'll find them.  

I was angry enough to consider quitting the guild and blowing the gold I was saving for a mount on a new guild... or maybe joining the Brave Companions.  But damn it, I like the fact that they are the biggest guild on Whisperwind.  That and whenever I get in a group it's completely moron free.  Nah, if I leave, it'd have to be a complete server migration.  

Membership was closed because there was an influx of people who were "D00D U GUYZ RAID! 1 WANT TO RAID 2 LOLOL!!!11!!"  It'll open up again soon.  And exceptions are made.  

The Wanderers are 98% made up of some really awesome players.  Oh, and we raid a lot.

Just Hiro will do.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 10:29:11 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

Oh, and we raid a lot.

That would also explain the paranoia with Faction crossing alts.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 10:44:26 PM »

If they raid a lot, and they're worried about cross-team spying, why are they on a PvE server?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 12:32:24 AM »

Because getting ganked sucks and voluntary PvP is more fun.

I disagree with this decision, even more so because it's completely unenforceable, and only a small amount of members actually visit the website/forums.  But I'm not the Warchief, I'm only a member.  

I think a role-playing perspective has a lot to do with it.  The Wanderers are first and foremost are a HORDE guild.  As a HORDE guild, we prefer to kill ALLIANCE people.  Having high level alts is a conflict of interest.

I think the "cross-team spying" is blown out of proportion.  

Could they have done this better? Oh yeah, and they acknowledged it.  This is the first really large guild the Wanderers have run... and it's also the first one with a considerable amount of non-regulars and first-time members.  

Does it suck that I can't eventually make an Alliance alt to team up with Almost Heroes?  IT SUCKS DONKEY BALLS.  But heading to Ogrimmar drives my poor comp to it's knees.  God knows what heading to Ironforge will do.  Point being, I don't know if I was ever going to do it.  But I liked the option.  And I'm pretty ticked that it's been taken from me.  But not ticked enough to quit.

Just Hiro will do.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 12:37:24 AM »

It's what happens when a Carebear stops liking being a Carebear.

I laugh at your puny PvE server!

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 02:26:04 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Because getting ganked sucks and voluntary PvP is more fun.

I disagree with this decision, even more so because it's completely unenforceable, and only a small amount of members actually visit the website/forums.  But I'm not the Warchief, I'm only a member.  

I think a role-playing perspective has a lot to do with it.  The Wanderers are first and foremost are a HORDE guild.  As a HORDE guild, we prefer to kill ALLIANCE people.  Having high level alts is a conflict of interest.

I think the "cross-team spying" is blown out of proportion.  

Could they have done this better? Oh yeah, and they acknowledged it.  This is the first really large guild the Wanderers have run... and it's also the first one with a considerable amount of non-regulars and first-time members.  

Does it suck that I can't eventually make an Alliance alt to team up with Almost Heroes?  IT SUCKS DONKEY BALLS.  But heading to Ogrimmar drives my poor comp to it's knees.  God knows what heading to Ironforge will do.  Point being, I don't know if I was ever going to do it.  But I liked the option.  And I'm pretty ticked that it's been taken from me.  But not ticked enough to quit.

Dood!  If you come over to Almost Heroes I will wave the usual 5 gold fee new members have to pay me.  :wink:

And you won't have to worry about your hair as you can just make a new character without the bad hair of the undead.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2005, 03:53:13 AM »

Closing membership,

Membership is closed to "outsiders", ie random people that we meet in WoW who want to join us because they see Wanderers all over the place.  Friends of existing members are welcome.

a person in charge who hands down unenforceable and unexplained rules that make people go Wha? and responds with "If you don't like it, leave", followed by locking a thread with reasonable questions doesn't sound like a periodic episode of drama or a temporary growing pain.

No? Well its done, everyone involved kissed and made up. How much more temporary you want it to be?

Seeing Gordo register a new account on another message boards to join a different guild makes me think that's not just an outsider's view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Gordo, but I don't think he's leaving the Wanderers.  He just wants to have an alliance alt and would rather do so with a guild that he knows (or at least suspects) is cool.

I'm sure I'm missing layers of internal politics and history, but it makes me very glad I've been spending my time with the AH group.

Superhiro pretty much covered everything.  There's 200+ actual different humans (or life-like robots) in the Wanderers in WoW.  We've never had to deal with anything quite like this before, and rules need to be made to keep that many folks on the same page, as it were.

Anyway, unless spefically asked about something, I'm done being all defensive. smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2005, 04:47:19 AM »

Oh, and apparently the current Wanderer leadership was inept enough to alienate the IX (Insomniax) folks, who were all around good guys that also happened to be proficient in modding.

98% of the Wanderers are good people, yes.  Unfortunately, that 2% left over are also the ones in charge.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »

Man. I've got a lvl35 Rogue with AH, so I can't join Wanderers? I guess I'll Horde on another server. AH is a group worth sticking with.

In FFXI I was in some big groups (FURY on Phoenix for one) and although it was nice to be a part of a strong org, it sucked that no one gets enough attention for assistance etc. Not that I needed any, but I knew a few people who struggled with that.

AH has a really good crowd with excellent leadership. I wouldn't trade the comfort and the friendships for "We're the wanderers, delete your high lvl cuz you could be a spy" mentality. It's a Role Playing game. When I'm Stabbetty, I'm not Hoovehearted. Same goes vice versa.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »

Closing membership...

Recruiting has been *temporarily* frozen in preparation for re-rostering, so we can see who is still playing and make sure everyone is on the same page.  Accepting new members at the same time you're trying to verify everyone on the roster is still playing would make things a whole lot more difficult.

Still, if you read closely we're still admitting family members or low-level (1-5) real life friends (although I'd need to double-check the friends part).

On a PvE server? And why would under 5th level be OK?

1)  Folks seem to have this idea or line of thought that PvE servers have little or no PvP going on.  The fact is there's quite a bunch of it happening, and the Wanderers do regularly participate in both official and unofficial raids.

2)  Under 5th level Alliance alts were permitted as consideration to folks who have setup alts to access the IF auction house.

Quote from: "LE"
Oh, and apparently the current Wanderer leadership was inept enough to alienate the IX (Insomniax) folks, who were all around good guys that also happened to be proficient in modding.

I suppose it's not possible that IX, having already been a fairly small guild before joining us for WoW, decided they didn't want to be part of a much larger guild?
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »

I play on Whisperwind, both alliance and horde.  So I'm aware of what goes on there.  PvP servers have the rule they're trying to enforce.  PvE servers make it impossible.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2005, 04:15:37 PM »

IIRC, the IX drama was more of IX's problems with the guild membership itself, and not the leaders.  If you read the threads, 98% of "good people" were totally making fun of them, and the 2% "bad people" was telling that 98% to knock it off.  So whatever.

HOWEVER, Tareeq, warning, and I have started up a few horde alts on the low pop Windrunner.  I know I'll be playing there for a while.  And if there's enough people we might form a guild.

Just Hiro will do.
Gordo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2005, 07:43:08 PM »

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, work and whatnot...

I am not leaving the Wanderers...just wanted to try some crafting on the Alliance side b/c of higher population etc.

I don't like PvP anyways....my computer lags too much, and second I'm alive then *SCHWAPOWIE* in in the Cemetary!

I like MMORPG's b/c of the PEOPLE!

I grew up playing "dice and paper" ADnD and StarWars...I like computers, and fantasy/Sci-Fi.

Just wanted to join an Alliance guild to be w/ "Cool People"

Save the Drama for your Mama!  biggrin

~Love and Kisses Gordo!
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 01:41:15 AM »

Its the only reason I dont have a wanderer now....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: