http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 12:58:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last-minute pre-order... EQ2 or WoW?  (Read 6058 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 01:18:37 AM »

I'd kind of like to pre-order one of these 2 (even though it's the last minute for EQ2) to get some of the nifty pet and home stuff.  Here's what I'm looking for:

* Immersion.  I really want to feel like I'm in another place.
* Detail.  Want to have the new cool items I get, look great too and be worth the time and effort.
* Low grind value.  I don't want to have to put a bazillion hours into the game to have fun.
* I like to solo 90% of the time.
* I did like Dark Age of Camelot quite a bit (except the long travel times).
* I like City of Heroes, but once I got t level 32 I stopped playing though I still have my account.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, and sorry for another EQ vs. Wow thread.  I posted this at Qto3 too as I'm looking for lots of feedback smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:19:47 AM »

WoW
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:24:01 AM »

I second it: WoW all the way, based on your criteria - especially the solo part - I'm in that same boat too.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

Are WoW's graphics rewarding enough though (on a high-end system)?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 01:57:03 AM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
* Immersion.  I really want to feel like I'm in another place.
* Detail.  Want to have the new cool items I get, look great too and be worth the time and effort.
* Low grind value.  I don't want to have to put a bazillion hours into the game to have fun.
* I like to solo 90% of the time.
* I did like Dark Age of Camelot quite a bit (except the long travel times).
* I like City of Heroes, but once I got t level 32 I stopped playing though I still have my account.

Having betaed both EQ2 and WoW, let me answer these questions as to who I think wins and give an answer as to why:

Immersion - WoW. EQ2 looks too real while the cartoony look really draws you into their world.

Detail - Tie. EQ2's amazing player models are fantastic to look at if you have the system, and some of the stuff I've seen is great. WoW stays away from the details, but still looks fantastic in its own rights.

Low Grind Value - WoW by a landslide. The game just doesn't feel like a grind at all with how they've designed their zones and quest system. Some would say it's too easy of a MMO as a result, but I'm not complaining.

Soloability - WoW dumps a mountain on EQ2 as it buries it so much. Once again, with WoW so easy, every class is capable of soloing without pretty much any problems. The loads of zones allows you to simply visit somewhere else if you want different mobs and a different challenge. Each zone is also based around a set level, but each starting 'land' tends to have their own set path you can follow upon.

EQ2 allows you to solo, somewhat, but comeon - this game is the sequel to the game that required the 'holy trinity' just to get ANYWHERE in the upper levels of the game. Unless you were a Bard or Necro, soloing was so slow and painful you didn't want to do it. I have to say though that EQ2 is better than EQ was in the soloability aspect, but it's nowhere near WoW.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:14:03 AM »

Have they announced whether or not the additional trial account key that comes in the WoW CE will be upgradable into a real account just by paying a monthly fee?

olaf
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:10:21 AM »

Hopefully this thread can stay civil and not break out a war as many of your criteria are very opinion based.

Immersion - For me I was much more immersed in EQ2.  NPC voiceovers are great, they made me feel like part of the world.  Going in to temple street in Freeport for example, seeing cats chasing rats around, then hearing a ratonga come running buy screaming for help as his dinner was chasing him (he was an NPC chef ratonga, being chased by a cat).  As a troll all the ambient animals in town would hiss at me.  Many NPC's would insult me telling me how bad I smell.  Ambient animals and NPC's react differently to the different races.  Also having more realistic graphics helped with immersion.  While I think the graphics of WoW are very good for the style, it is not my personal style.

Detail - In EQ2 at low levels, there is very little different in weapons and armor, however as you progress items become more and more unique looking.  One of my favorites is watching people battle with flails and whips, the animations are very well done in my opinion.  In WoW, I felt like I looked the same at lvl 20 as I did at lvl 1.  I also never understood why there were slots that you could not get items for before a certain level, especially helmets.

Low Grind Value - WoW has the edge here, but I wouldn't say EQ2 has that much more of a grind value to say it is bad.  There are lots of quests in both games that give very nice xp rewards.  I would say in sheer number of kills WoW requires less to level than EQ2.

Solo - WoW is much more solo friendly.  There is a lot of solo content in WoW.  EQ2 soloing is possible at all levels but the amount of solo content is limited.

Stability - WoW is more stable at this point than EQ2 is, however from what I have read, part of the problem was with the wide sweeping changes towards the end of beta for EQ2, old chars were causing server stability issues that shouldn't be around come retail, however it is SOE, so expect it to be rocky at times especially after patches.

Overall both games are very good, but for my tastes I will be sticking with EQ2.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 04:41:18 AM »

Well if you care about graphics, EQ2 has that godawful "shiny like I'm staring at the sun) syndrome going on.  Every player model looks like it's coated in ultra-reflective gel.  WoW is more stylized, but has much better executed graphics, overall.

For what it's worth, I thought EQ1 was a boring waste of time.  Playing the EQ2 beta reminded me a lot of EQ1.

Advice:  Sign up for the WoW Open Beta tomorrow and see if you like it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 05:35:22 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Hopefully this thread can stay civil and not break out a war as many of your criteria are very opinion based.

Of course our opinion is just that - our opinion. I have no problem reading other's opinions, even if they're different than my own.

And I agree with Valhuerdi - WoW's open beta starts tomorrow, so barring a sudden crash of the internet or something, go give it a try absolutely free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:43:41 AM »

I only said that about staying civil as in the past EQ2 vs. WoW threads turn in to flame fests, especially about SOE and thier reputation.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 06:49:59 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I only said that about staying civil as in the past EQ2 vs. WoW threads turn in to flame fests, especially about SOE and thier reputation.
There's a reason for that: their reputation sucks.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 10:34:30 AM »

I betaed both of these games also and generally agree with Destructor.

Both games are really good looking - I didn't have any graphical issues with either.

Soloing is DEFINITELY possible in WoW, I (mostly) soloed a Priest thru the low 40s. The game pretty much encourages soloing with the quest-centric structure.

One unknown is that Blizzard just upped the amount of experience you need from 30 and up, and they increased the value of monsters in dungeons. So it looks like they're "encouraging" you to group and do some dungeons after that level. People don't like the change, of course.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 01:42:59 PM »

WoW

smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 01:59:20 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"

Check out the changes to female platemail armor that come down in this last patch. Looks cool eh?

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/2355/1236.jpg

Seriously though, wtf were they thinking?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 02:24:12 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
Check out the changes to female platemail armor that come down in this last patch. Looks cool eh?

*jaw drops*

And that's supposed to protect you, how?

Personally though, I love the expression on the Dwarf's face that's right behind her... biggrin

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 02:42:50 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

*jaw drops*

And that's supposed to protect you, how?

Personally though, I love the expression on the Dwarf's face that's right behind her... biggrin

Hehe, here is what is was looking at...

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8358/1235.jpg
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 02:53:55 PM »

that female armor looks pretty crappy. like a fan made skin for dungeon siege 1 or something. Tongue

ok, this forum definately has a more WoW following. 2 seperate WoW guilds hang out here, so don't expect a lot of votes for EQ2. even if it is great. i really don't understand why it has to be one or the other. one just has to suck in the eyes of fans of either games. i'm pumped up for EQ2, but i have been having am amazingly great time with WoW during this stress test. especially since i'm playing on the PVP server.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »

Christ, can we a NSFW warning on that link?  slywink

I feel so dirty....  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 04:55:02 PM »

I played EQ for 3 years, I played WoW for 10 months, I'm tired of both. I'm buying EQ2 just to check it out and see if I get any of that old EQ feelin back (y'know before I got to 50+ and raid only stuff).

EQ2 wins for me because I wasn't in the alpha/beta. WoW is a known quantity for me and although I love the solo-ability and graphics and quests, I'm just tired of it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:46 PM »

Damn picture only loads down to her waiste line  :x
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 05:57:15 PM »

I'm such a whore.  i'm probably going to pick up eq2 and give it a shot AND play during the open beta of WOW.  If I like WOW, I'll pick it up too.  I won't STAY with two MMORPG's for more than the initial 30 day trial, but I'll at least get a feel for both and make an informed decision.

of course, the longest i've ever stayed with an mmorpg was about 4 months, so it really doesn't matter anyway i guess.  :wink:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 10:40:37 PM »

I was hardcore in the WoW camp until very recently. I was planning on passing on EQ2(played EQ1 for about 2 years) but the last few weeks WoW has taken a serious nose dive IMHO. Granted most folks who were not in the beta may not notice it since my main problem is trying to accept the game in its current state versus what I was playing a month or two ago.
I would also check out the patch notes from yesterdays patch, some significant changes were made i.e. changes to death penalty, the addition of spell components/reagents needed now for certain spells, rezzing etc.
Theirs a virtual inferno raging on the WoW beta boards at the moment.
Long story short I will be picking up a copy of EQ2 tomorrow, Im just praying it runs decent enough on my PC.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 11:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
I was hardcore in the WoW camp until very recently. I was planning on passing on EQ2(played EQ1 for about 2 years) but the last few weeks WoW has taken a serious nose dive IMHO. Granted most folks who were not in the beta may not notice it since my main problem is trying to accept the game in its current state versus what I was playing a month or two ago.
I would also check out the patch notes from yesterdays patch, some significant changes were made i.e. changes to death penalty, the addition of spell components/reagents needed now for certain spells, rezzing etc.
Long story short I will be picking up a copy of EQ2 tomorrow, Im just praying it runs decent enough on my PC.
Yeah, I'm going to play my Warlock til the end of the WoW OB and hope for the best, but honestly, I expect the worst.  Though I only played a week before the newest patch, the loss of quality is palpable and depressing.  I do NOT like the way this game is headed...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 11:52:39 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Abaddon"
Yeah, I'm going to play my Warlock til the end of the WoW OB and hope for the best, but honestly, I expect the worst.  Though I only played a week before the newest patch, the loss of quality is palpable and depressing.  I do NOT like the way this game is headed...

Would you care to elaborate?
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 11:57:17 PM »

This is actually sort of funny, here is a possible(note the possible) glimpse of WoW's opening day.

>>The World of Warcraft and Open Beta Account Creation sites are temporarily down. We are experiencing technical difficulties on our end and are working diligently to restore service to this site. We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. We do not currently have an estimated time for when the World of Warcraft Web site will be back up, but we are working extremely hard to solve these technical difficulties as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Please note that until the World of Warcraft Web site has been restored, any further World of Warcraft updates will be posted on our Battle.net Web site. <<

ok so I click the link and....

>>In anticipation of the World of Warcraft Open Beta, we will be shutting down our Battle.net World of Warcraft forums. World of Warcraft players can continue to post on our official World of Warcraft forums at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/forums/. We would like to thank you for your support of these forums over the past years! <<

Hello right hand this is left hand smile So I click the next link and....

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Open the www.worldofwarcraft.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 07:42:35 AM »

Quote from: "Jafisob"
Would you care to elaborate?
Pure cloth casters are worthless.  Shamen or Druids survive longer and can heal and rez just as well as Priests.  Rogues are infinitely better DPS than a Mage or a Warlock.  Cloth casters can not survive in PVP at all.  Blizzard's driving the game away from casual fun ala Diablo 2 and into an EQ1-esque grind.  All casters now have at least one useful spell which requires reagents--which is just an obnoxious game mechanic.  And the in-game 'community' is by far the largest congragation of utter morons I've ever come across in my entire life.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 08:45:45 PM »

EQ2 looks to be the same boring monotonous mess that EQ1 was, except of course with much better graphics.  I was hooked on the first game for a couple of months, until I realized that it was causing more frustration than fun.  Always having to look for a group, find a good "spawn" point and hope that it wasn't already camped by another party, etc.  I could go on, but I won't.  It just got to the point that it felt more like another job than something I was enjoying.  EQ2 has shown me nothing new except their graphics engine, which only goes so far.  As far as I can tell, it’s the same mind-numbingly boring game as the first.

WoW on the other hand looks very interesting.  I love the art style, the ease of play, the fact that you can solo pretty much the entire game, the variety of races and classes, etc.  I’m also a fan of the other WarCraft games, so that helps.  This one looks like an MMORPG that I might actually be able to get into and stick with.

We’ll see…  smile

Glycerine

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 09:01:11 PM »

Alright, I'm done with World of Warcraft.  They may have well called it Dark Age of Warcraft, because damned if I'm not playing the same utterly boring DAOC except with wordier kill /task-s and a thirty year old man reading "Zug Zug" into a mic.

I'm off to buy EQ2 today.  I can say without shame that I loved the first EQ (indeed, EQ and Anarchy Online are the only two MMOs I've ever liked), and it'll be exciting to see the world 2000 or 3000 years in the future and after an apocalypse.  Plus it might actually have--gasp!--balance and depth, unlike Blizzard's quickly-getting-ruined game.

Or it might suck, who knows.  I'm sure I can find someone to trade it off to if it does, though.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 09:54:12 PM »

I don't see how WoW can possibly win on "immersion".  I was blown away when I hit Freeport in EQ2.  It was not unlike the first time logging into Kelethin in EQ1.  I don't see how cartoony graphics leads to more immersion.  Remember that we're not discussing artistic merit here.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 11:24:16 PM »

WoW.

The first time I saw Ironforge I was completely blown away. EQ2 may have it's merits, but I care not.
WoW looks, feels and plays as if it were alive. A real, breathing, believable world. "Cartoony" graphics and all.

Warcraft has me, hands down.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 11:31:13 PM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"

WoW looks, feels and plays as if it were alive. A real, breathing, believable world. "Cartoony" graphics and all.

Ahahahahahaha.

People shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread without playing both games first.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 04:04:47 PM »

Never having played a MMORPG, what are the monthly fee differences between WOW and EQ2?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »

Or it might suck, who knows.  I'm sure I can find someone to trade it off to if it does, though.

been playing for two days.  it's pretty much the same old same old.   if you though WOW was DAOC, you're in for the same thing with EQ2.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TommyTutone
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 05:11:25 PM »

I have played both in as much beta tested both for three or four days (and no longer so I wouldn't 'spoil' the experience of whichever one I chose').

Immersion - easily EQ2.  The realistic look of the city, the characters speaking to you, the NPC models all made me feel like I was in another world.  I have always said that graphics are not important for gameplay, but after this, I think my mind has been changed.

Detail - I cannot speak much on this, but I think EQ2 has an edge once you get into the cities.  With the massive number of quests available, there are countless numbers of items that can be had.  Unfortunately, items like veils are not seen on the character.

Grind-a-tude - WoW wins here.  Levelling so far has been easy in EQ2 via questing, but the levels come more slowly and while I have been able to solo, I could not do so as easily as I could in WoW.

Solo - Again, WoW wins and this is ALMOST what got me to pick this game instead.  Being married and soon to be a parent, I know my free time will be limited.  On the bright side, the Wanderers have a guild presence with both, and there are members in both that are also limited on time.

Based on those factors, though I was headed towards WoW, having played both, EQ2 was an easy pick.  The massive number of rewarding quests, the look and feel of the world and its inhabitants, the large amount of varied 'loot', the considerably more mature community, among other things got me to choose it.

I played the 'live' version for the first time last night for about 7 hours before realizing I needed sleep.  I cannot imagine WoW would have sucked me in in the same way.

Bamthwok - Level 9 ogre mage
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 05:44:14 PM »

People shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread without playing both games first.

I fail to see how you can determine from that post whether or not he's played the game.  Perhaps a better rule would be to not allow people to post moronic comments that have no basis.

Glycerine

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: