http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:46:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just cancelled my WoW account.  (Read 21268 times)
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2005, 06:12:36 PM »

Given this is Blizzard, yes, I'd like to know more about what's in the pipe, but I'd like a million dollars, too. Neither is likely to happen in any appreciable time frame.

The trouble is that Blizzard can't do business as usual with this one. If people are waiting for new things -- regardless of whether there's plenty to do already -- they won't sit there and pay a monthly fee to do it. When the 1.10 patch came out for D2 after a couple of *years*, it was fine and dandy because they didn't have continuing income from that game (aside from the occasional sale).

In a MMORPG they can't just take their time. It's like being put on hold during a toll call -- eventually you're not going to put up with it, hang up, and call back later.
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2005, 10:30:33 PM »

The reality and this is the plain truth is there is always small group of whining complaining, will bitch about anything and everything players who will say they will leavein these games. There numbers are vastly overrated. Forums do not give a indication of the general population. There's players that will simply never, ever be satisfied with what the devs do. It occurs in every game.
nny
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2005, 11:48:24 PM »

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I was wondering what happens when you cancel. I signed up for the 3 month package and with all the free time they've given me, I'm only about halfway through it. When I cancel, does my time continue and I can keep playing until the 3 months are up. Or do I get half my money refunded or something else?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2005, 12:26:36 AM »

Quote from: "nny"
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I was wondering what happens when you cancel. I signed up for the 3 month package and with all the free time they've given me, I'm only about halfway through it. When I cancel, does my time continue and I can keep playing until the 3 months are up. Or do I get half my money refunded or something else?

I'm PRETTY sure that you don't get any sort of refund whatsoever.  I think, well, this is what happened with every MMO game I've played, if you cancel you get the time you paid for and then after that it just stops.  So if you paid for three months, then you get three months . . . even if you want to quit in the middle of that time.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2005, 02:39:49 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
There's players that will simply never, ever be satisfied with what the devs do.

Of course that's true, but my problem is Blizzard isn't doing anything.

Quote from: "nny"

When you cancel, you can keep playing til the 3 months are up.  There is no refund of any sort.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2005, 04:13:38 AM »

I wish more people would leave from my server, Arthas...  I had a 300 person queue today.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2005, 06:54:45 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
There's players that will simply never, ever be satisfied with what the devs do.

Of course that's true, but my problem is Blizzard isn't doing anything.[/quote

Yeah, all blizzard employees got 6 months of vacation when WoW was released. Their offices have been dark and empty. The content and fixes that have come out since then is the work of elves. I am laughing at you for paying for this game, along with all the Blizzard employees who sit upon thrones of cash, mocking you.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2005, 12:06:51 PM »

My account ends on Thursday and im not reuping. Right now the end game has to be the most boring, stupid, half assed end game ever. Farming the same 3 or 4 dungeons over and over and over and over does not sound like any kinda of fun. With out the BGs any desire of playing is now gone. And in not a huge fan of Instas either. You log into the game and everyone is in a insta doing there own thing. Its less a MMORPG then a 5 man RPG. Dont think I have ever been so damn frustrated with a game since Shadowbane.

Scott
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2005, 02:55:40 PM »

Of course that's true, but my problem is Blizzard isn't doing anything.

Well I don't agree. IMO you have exaggerated things allot.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2005, 03:50:05 PM »

Oh boy L/E sure convinced me, who can argue with a bold font.

L/E you dont like how blizzard is handling WoW and you exercised you're consumer right to take you're business elsewhere.  Move on.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2005, 10:30:53 AM »

Late to this thread but I agree with LE.  Before I join in the ranting I will summarize my experience with WoW.

I have been playing since the end of beta 1.  My first character was an Alliance Rogue, got him just shy of the level cap before they opened Horde in beta 2.  Next character was an Undead Warlock, got him to the cap but the channeling nerf coupled with the gear wipe made him un-fun.  So I stopped playing a while.  In the meantime my wife took an Alliance Druid to the level cap on my account.  When I decided to play again I wanted to check out talents so my choices, at the time, were Warrior or Mage.  My last character in beta was an Alliance Warrior, played her to 60.  Stopped playing about the last beta patch, the one where they redid Pals and broke pretty much everything we had been testing when they changed the way taunt works.

Still, I liked my class and its role in PvE so I started a Horde Warrior in retail.  He is 60 now.  I lead a small guild on the Suramar server.  We are quite a ways from Onyxia and MC but that is because we just dont have the numbers.  We can 5 man Strat and Scholo and 10 man UBRS (of course why would you want to do this?  No idea).  I dont see myself quitting in the short term, but I am very bored.  We have done the same shit dozens of times now.  We are gearing up guests and new recruits, with vets hoping, usually in vain, to get uber rare drops.  My own personal pipe dream is a set of purple Armorsmith plans, Stronghold Gauntlets.  But I digress.

Problems I see with the game:

1) End game content.  Its just not there.  You have Stratholme and Scholomance designed as 5 man instances for the 60ish crowd.  The loot tables fucking suck here, especially Scholo.  Whoever did the drops here should have been fired.  I mean FIRED.  Kicked out on his ass into the street with the stuff from his cube crammed into a box flying out after him.

These places are long and challenging (at least the first time) to do with just 5 people and the loot is A-S-S for your time.  Jesus just thinking about some of the drops from the Strat gauntlet minis and the viewing room bosses minus Gandling in Scholo makes me want to kill something.  LBRS is also a 5 man instance.  Loot isnt much better here but the play through seems less tedious.  Its better paced I guess.  Thats it for single group stuff.  Three choices.

There is raid content though yeah?  Sort of.  There is UBRS.  A two group raid instance.  Nice instance actually.  Good loot, for the most part.  Very few insulting drops and every loot dropper has something good.  Good pacing.  Seven total static loot droppers in a place that will take 3 hours or so to run with 10.  Nice challenge.  Ok cool, that is one in the win column for Blizzard.  What's next?  Well lets see.  Molten Core and Onyxia.  EIGHT group raid content.  What happened there, exactly?  Who thought it was a good idea to go from UBRS to MC/Onyxia.  What...in...the...fuck?  The jump in manpower and organization required to go from UBRS to either of those two places is vast.  Legion.  Bad Blizzard.  Not very well thought out internally and sad that it hasnt been rectified.

But ok so, yeah MC/Onyxia.  And while I cant personally speak to this content or its loot, I can say hello raid lockout bug.  Why hasnt this been fixed yet?  Three months after retail and people's raids are being ruined all the time because of this.  It is plaguing every single server.  Disgusting this hasnt been fixed.  This fuckup has every uber EQ guild Blizzard lured away from SOE shouting for Blizzard's balls on platter.  Bigtime 180 there, in one fell swoop Blizzard lost these guys as fanboy evangelists and now has them ranting vehemently against them.

Three months into retail and not one shred of post 60 content added to the game.  Not cool.

2)  Faction imbalance.  No covering it up, the Alliance is vastly more popular on most realms.  Blizzard is running from this bigtime.  They flat out lie about it in fact.  The kicker is, they should have known this was going to happen as it was discussed ad nauseum in beta.  First, the game was built from the ground up with the Alliance in mind.  Alliance zones are more player friendly, period.  If you have played both factions, you know this.  I have played them both, to 60, and know it to be fact.  Second, Humans are always a popular choice.  The DAOC Albion example was a good one.  But the real reason Alliance is so much more popular?  Sex appeal.  Night Elves and Humans females are hot.  Horde...has nothing to compare.  This is the bottom line.  Manginas are playing Alliance and so are most real life women.  Women do not, for the most part, want to play a game where they are ugly.  Dudes who play female characters in MMOs (manginas) want them to look hot.

On PvP servers, this huge imbalance presents obvious gameplay issues.  But even on PvE its a problem.  And its going to be more of a problem once the Battlegrounds expansion pack is released.

3) Class Balance.  This is more of a subjective thing but it really bugs the fuck out of me to see the cavalier attitude they display towards it.  People take their characters seriously.  They are not pleased with nerfs.  And nerfs are coming for some classes.  Shamans and Pals inparticular I think, are going to get stuck.  Rogues and Hunters as well.  Meanwhile, classes that were shit on towards the end of beta...are still being shit on.  My point is that nerfs ARE coming for someone...why does it take this long to get to them?  Get it over with for these people.  They are just going to be that much more pissed now (lol now...I am being optimistic here) than they would have been in December.

4) Loot issues.  I touched on some of this earlier but I will go into more detail here.  First off, caster loot.  It sucks.  Bad.  Much like EQ before dropped spells and focus effects there just isnt much difference in performance between a Mage who hit 60 yesterday and one who hit 60 a month ago.  This is because the caster gear is so bland.  The + to spell damage/healing system they have implemented is dogshit, it doesnt provide tangible benefits and players hate it.  Blizzard loves it though, its been tested 'internally' so it must be fine.  Its a sad comment when about the best caster item in the game (Spirit of Aquewhatever) is quested out of Ungoro and attainable with some legwork and a partner or two at 55.

Beyond crappy caster loot there is a serious problem with itemization in every 'end game' instance.  Its like when they were populating loot tables they just made shit up off the top of their heads and didnt bother to check what was dropping elsewhere or available via quest rewards.  Five man anything from BRD up with a 'level appropriate' group and I can guarantee you, way more often than not, you are gonna get more disenchant fodder from bosses than you will upgrades.  This is fucked up especially when it happens off of bosses that are 3-4 hours into a run.

Finally, the class set items were handled HORRIBLY.  Arg.  EQ showed them the way.  Why didnt they see it?  Patterns.  Molds.  Whatever you want to call them.  Dont let my 5 man group slog through Stratholme only to have the Baron drop set legs that no one present would use.  Instead, have him drop a mold, or a pattern.  Like Plate leg mold.  Mail leg pattern.  Cloth leg pattern.  Etc.  etc.  BOP of course, but redeemable at a quest NPC for an actual piece of loot that your class can use.  Not LIGHTFORGE GREAVES for the Horde.  They blew this one.

5) Tradeskills.  Blearg.  Lots of stuff wrong here.  So much that I dont feel like going into it all which says a lot, I think, given the rest of this post as context.  Suffice to say I think most of the production skills are horribly broken.

Ok so those are the problems I see with the game.  But, there are also problems with Blizzard.

1) Arrogance.  My god.  I get the feeling Blizzard, as an entity, spends most of its time jerking off in front of a mirror.  They didnt listen for shit during beta and they have continued that trend in retail.  lol no test server.  That tells you everything you need to know about what they think of their own abilities and what they think of their customers.

2) Communication.  Laughably bad.  If you looked at all of the stealth nerfs, the 'scheduled' outages that are not scheduled, the 'emergency' fixes/server bounces that are not emergencies, etc. you might think they were *trying* to piss people off.  I dont believe they are but...what could be going on there?  Can their community reps be that far out of the loop that servers can be down without them knowing?  That servers can be coming down without them knowing?  That code changes are made and they are not informed?  That magazines get scoop before they do?  How likely is this?

3) Competition.  Lack there of.  Sadly, WoW is doing so well that they are not going to have market pressure driving them to make player friendly changes to the way they handle their game.  It took DAOC for SOE to start listening.  What will WoW's DAOC be?  WHEN will WoW's DAOC be?

olaf
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2005, 12:54:29 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Late to this thread but I agree with LE.

So you agree that Blizzard has done nothing since release as well eh?
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2005, 02:53:52 PM »

Its not that they have done nothing its they are slower then sin for doing anything. The end game blows ass to smile

Scott
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2005, 03:25:31 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

I believe LE actully had alot more things to say then ' blizzard has done nothing sense release'.  That was just his cache phrase to get all the fanboys in a hissy.  :lol:

morlac00 on PSN
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"

I believe LE actully had alot more things to say then ' blizzard has done nothing sense release'.  That was just his cache phrase to get all the fanboys in a hissy.  :lol:

A lot more things? Where? I see nothing!

Ah, ok, guess that is a good way to agrue stuff.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2005, 06:02:51 PM »

I'm one of those 'sensable' people who don't believe on jumping in on these kinds of arguments, but as a Beta tester, and now a player since release, I have to completely agree with Olaf, and that giant list of issues of his.

World of Warcraft is simply the best MMO made from level 1-59. At level 60 the game utterly, totally, and completely falls apart. Instances are outright broken, there's simply no point to hitting 60 (short of ganking towns/lowbies and doing instance runs over and over and over and over and...), and the game loses its 'fun' appeal.

I have NEVER played a MMO where I don't mind starting over time and time again until now. Even the most 'fun' of the beginnings (City of Heroes), still felt like a grind. Here, in WoW, I have characters all over the world, all over the place as far as levels go, and I don't mind at all. The world is that vast, and that filled with things to do, there's always some place to go.

Being a lowbie is fun. Once you hit that concrete wall of level 60, do you realize that all of your work was for absolutely nothing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2005, 06:27:20 PM »

"Three months into retail and not one shred of post 60 content added to the game. Not cool. "

Wow a dev that isn't focused on just catering to the hardcore, must get to the level cap as fast as possible and complain about more, mor,e more and I want it  now, now, now crowd. I'd personally love it if these players got so pissed off they left the game, and went to some other level grind treadmill. I'd be happier for it.

I havn't had a problem with the Alliance/Horde imbalance as a Horde player myself. I havn't had any problems questing or anything because of it. I'd also say at least on my server(Deathwing) the Horde seems to be better organized so maybe that makes up for it.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I'm one of those 'sensable' people who don't believe on jumping in on these kinds of arguments, but as a Beta tester, and now a player since release, I have to completely agree with Olaf, and that giant list of issues of his.

World of Warcraft is simply the best MMO made from level 1-59. At level 60 the game utterly, totally, and completely falls apart. Instances are outright broken, there's simply no point to hitting 60 (short of ganking towns/lowbies and doing instance runs over and over and over and over and...), and the game loses its 'fun' appeal.

I have NEVER played a MMO where I don't mind starting over time and time again until now. Even the most 'fun' of the beginnings (City of Heroes), still felt like a grind. Here, in WoW, I have characters all over the world, all over the place as far as levels go, and I don't mind at all. The world is that vast, and that filled with things to do, there's always some place to go.

Being a lowbie is fun. Once you hit that concrete wall of level 60, do you realize that all of your work was for absolutely nothing.

I guess, coming from DaoC, I am approaching things more from a PvP-perspective. I look at post-60th time as time spent to "gear up" for PvP. First, and formost, for me is getting 900 gold to get my epic mount as this makes a big difference in PvP. Secondly, making sure I have adequate gear when the battlegrounds begin. I know I am perhaps jumping the gun in thinking that Battlegrounds will be the answer for my post-60th career, but I know its not going to be chasing that uber magic item day after day after day.

Yeah, both of these involving something I do not care for and have not had to do up to 60th. That is grinding. Not exp grinding (which I detest with all my being), but its still grinding (grinding for cash, grinding instances over and over again for specific treasure, like class armor set).

But, right now I have having a little trouble staying focused on my goal (to get 900 gold). I started up my warrior again (who is now 31) and am having a total blast. Warriors are a great alt to have when you can fund him with decent weapons and armor. Of course that means he is dipping his hands into my 60th priest's funds and my bankroll is down to 500 gold as of last night. So, I have refocused a little bit and plan dividing time between the two to allow my priest to harvest herbs and make potions to sell (and am going to try to limit twinking my warrior too much smile)

On a final note, I am in this game for the long haul. So I am not so worried about some slow times (in terms of content) ahead. I got many alts that I want to level up and many trades I want to master. I can easily keep myself entertained until Battlegrounds appear. I can then keep myself entertained until Hero classes are available. If not, not biggy. There tons of regular computer games I have not played yet that I would like to. I do not mind not playing WoW for a month and playing something else instead. Of course, your mileage may vary.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2005, 07:13:29 PM »

Nice post, olaf.  Said several things better than I could.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2005, 07:20:10 PM »

This comment just makes me laugh. For me at least, the joy of the game is getting to 60, not the uber-leetness that comes from being level 60. Were you also pissed off after beating BGII because there was nothing left to do?

Once I hit 60 (and I'm at 57 right now), I'll probably try a couple instances and then I'll start over with another char. I beat the game, it's finished, time to do something different.

What can Blizzard do to appease you (and I refer to the royal 'you' here)? Add more high-level instances? Then you'll finish those and complain about lack of content. Put in more phat loot? More complaints about balancing and such. Battlegrounds? I'm sure most of the powergamers will finish them off in a week and then whine about more content.

If being level 60 sucks so much, then don't be level 60. Go start another char or play a different game.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2005, 08:14:17 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"

This comment just makes me laugh. For me at least, the joy of the game is getting to 60, not the uber-leetness that comes from being level 60. Were you also pissed off after beating BGII because there was nothing left to do?

Once I hit 60 (and I'm at 57 right now), I'll probably try a couple instances and then I'll start over with another char. I beat the game, it's finished, time to do something different.

What can Blizzard do to appease you (and I refer to the royal 'you' here)? Add more high-level instances? Then you'll finish those and complain about lack of content. Put in more phat loot? More complaints about balancing and such. Battlegrounds? I'm sure most of the powergamers will finish them off in a week and then whine about more content.

If being level 60 sucks so much, then don't be level 60. Go start another char or play a different game.

Excellent post Koz.  I agree 100%.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2005, 08:42:52 PM »

For all of you people thinking that there are issues with WoW - here's your chance!

Apply to become a WoW Game Designer

Have at it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
For all of you people thinking that there are issues with WoW - here's your chance!

Have at it.

Hey Hey! Dont hate, participate! That movie looks funny smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2005, 10:36:52 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
Were you also pissed off after beating BGII because there was nothing left to do?

Of course not.  Most people who finish a long RPG will be sad to see it go but satisfied they completed it.  But there's not even that satisfaction at World of Warcraft's conclusion, which is currently leveling to 60.  Your reward for 'completion' is buggy instances, grinding for phat lewt that doesn't noticably affect your character's power, and/or rerolling and getting to "enjoy" same-y content, newb zones and their lovely chat channels, a character with limited combat options and non-challenging mobs until 40 or so, which is a few days worth of playtime.  Oh, and the content from Stranglethorn onward is more or less identical for both Horde and Alliance.  Rerolling is indeed the worst grind in the game, because you've done it all before, and damn if it isn't freakin' painful.

Also, Baldur's Gate 2 didn't make me pay $15 a month to sit on my hard drive, unchanged except for one significant patch from its developer (and maybe a couple hotfixes), after I dropped $50 on it.

What can Blizzard do to appease you (and I refer to the royal 'you' here)? Add more high-level instances? Then you'll finish those and complain about lack of content.

If they're adding content at a chipper (read: SoE) pace, by the time fully we explore/finish one zone or dungeon or whatnot, a new one will have been added.

That or they need to add goals with some sense of satisfaction (Hero classes?  Epic-level quests?  A perk system?  AA points?  Lots more dropped/quested spells/abilities?).  World of Warcraft is seriously the only RPG I've played that gets less fun and grants the player less options as they rise in level.  Some form of high-end advancement (PvE based) should be added to the game -- look to Anarchy Online's Perk system, or Everquest's Alternate Advancement.

Put in more phat loot? More complaints about balancing and such.

Phat lewt at epic levels arguably should be scaled to the amount of effort put into acquiring it.  If I go on a super-de-duper epic quest that takes me several days of playtime to complete, I want a reward that rocks my f!cking world.  If it's unbalanced compared to what some nub can buy in Booty Bay from the weapons vendor, tough luck.

Battlegrounds? I'm sure most of the powergamers will finish them off in a week and then whine about more content.

Battlegrounds are supposed to be the "hey I'm bored let's do PvP with a goal in mind," not a grind.  It is (seems to be) designed like a Counter-Strike match, or something: if it's well-designed, skill will play a major role in whether you succeed or fail -- and good skill-based games keep people coming back (again, think Counter-Strike).

Sure, some will get bored because Battlegrounds just won't be for them.  But if Blizzard designs them well and designs the hooks and rewards for actually participating in them well, I imagine you'll see very few whinings about a lack of Battleground content (unless, you know, there's just one map for a period of six months -- expect whining then).

I chose the latter for the reasons listed on the previous four pages.  In short, thanks for stating the obvious.

Quote from: "depward"

Have at it.

ie, if you're not qualified for this position, your opinions don't matter!  Blizzard is perfect!  World of Warcraft is perfect!  And how can anything perfect be not perfect?!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2005, 03:39:24 AM »

I chose the latter for the reasons listed on the previous four pages.  In short, thanks for stating the obvious.

Well if it's so obvious to you then you must agree with me. So, you're welcome biggrin
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2005, 04:00:04 AM »

As a fanboy of WoW since late December, I'm about ready to call it quits myself. It has nothing to do with the gameplay, I've had lots of fun. The fact is, some of the servers suck, and suck badly. Mine is one of them.  It was down for 24 hours straight on Saturday, and has crashed over and over and over at random times spread across the last few months.

Today I get a message telling me that I've been disconnected, then I can't log in for two hours (stuck on "Authenticating"), then when I finally get in, it lets me play for an hour before going belly up again.

These constant problems have used up all my patience.  Also, things weren't as I envisioned they'd be. My friends and I all joined up at the same time, and I imagined we'd group together, even form a guild, and play co-op a lot. but things didn't work out that way. Jobs, family, and varying desires to play got in the way, and I ended up playing with strangers more than my friends. I don't blame my friends, mind you, It just didn't work out.

Anyway, it was a fun ride. I got in a ton of hours, and definitely got my money's worth. I may go back someday.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2005, 04:23:03 AM »

I'd say I got my money's worth, and I probably will return when there's better high-end content, like Battlegrounds and Hero Classes, etc.

Of course, the realistic timeframe for all that to be in, considering Blizzard's development schedule, is Q4 2009.  But hey, at least I'll have a machine that can run raids lag-free by then (assuming, you know, that Windows'09 is compatible with XP-era software).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2005, 05:17:37 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
As a fanboy of WoW since late December, I'm about ready to call it quits myself. It has nothing to do with the gameplay, I've had lots of fun. The fact is, some of the servers suck, and suck badly. Mine is one of them.  It was down for 24 hours straight on Saturday, and has crashed over and over and over at random times spread across the last few months.

Today I get a message telling me that I've been disconnected, then I can't log in for two hours (stuck on "Authenticating"), then when I finally get in, it lets me play for an hour before going belly up again.

These constant problems have used up all my patience.  Also, things weren't as I envisioned they'd be. My friends and I all joined up at the same time, and I imagined we'd group together, even form a guild, and play co-op a lot. but things didn't work out that way. Jobs, family, and varying desires to play got in the way, and I ended up playing with strangers more than my friends. I don't blame my friends, mind you, It just didn't work out.

Anyway, it was a fun ride. I got in a ton of hours, and definitely got my money's worth. I may go back someday.

You know, if you played Vilemonk more...

Just Hiro will do.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2005, 01:24:58 PM »

I'm late to this discussion as well.

It seems that most of the WoWers who disagree with the above statement aren't yet 60.

I didn't play the game in beta.  I purchased it the first day of retail.  Many of us leveled to 60 in small groups, small guilds and in play sessions an hour or two at a time. No, we didn’t rush to the endgame.  WoW has consumed my gaming time for the last 3 months.  But it's not like I spend every waking moment playing it.  I have a family, kids, job, etc.  

I had a core group of 5-7 characters I usually adventured with. I also spent a lot of time solo adventuring and exploring. I hadn’t played a MMOPRG since UO and I really enjoyed the casual feel. It was great.

Now I got to 60 and the leveling treadmill stopped, as expected. What wasn’t expected was that the content dried up to just being able to run a few instances. And with that, the entire character of the game has changed drastically. Small groups are useless and my intimate, small guilds even more so - they just don't serve any purpose. The time and number of people required to do these large raids takes many hours - more than many of us have. I went from playing a game with a few friends in a dynamic world for a couple of hours at a time to being forced to play with 20-40 other characters in a large group with a time commitment that's higher than I can afford. This wasn’t expected.

So now my old guild disbanded. My new one has been forced to merge with two other guilds. Why did this happen? It seems there's nothing to do with a guild of “only” 7-10 60th level characters. You have to have a very large guild to have enough players to even be able to do the endgame raids. My old group of 5 –7 core players was sharp. We were good as a team. These large groups? They seem a bit sloppy and impersonal. No doubt, many of the players on these raids are good – there are far better players than I am. But I feel like I’m more part of a mass riot than I do a tactical, intelligent squad on these raids.

Of course, that is if you can even get into these raids because of the bugs.  I have yet to adventure in MC - every time I'm part of a raid, we get seperated into different groups because of the bugs.  That's the end of that raid, please try again later (next week).

I also find that the true powergamers are EXTREMELY loot-greedy on these runs.  You'll actually find warlocks telling mages not to roll on the magister set.  You'll find rogues telling other rogues "don't roll on the Deadmist gloves".  It's laughable, but very sad as well.  The true powergamers want their set of uber gear and don't want anyone to get in the way of it.  Even if they do need help getting to it.

So I’ve made an alternate character to start the journey all over again. I was talking with my original core group last night and they asked why I'm on my alternate character all the time now. I told them it's because these raids that start at 9 PM don't get done until midnight or later - and I have to go to work at 7 AM the next day. I just can't make that kind of time (3-5 hours) during the week without causing other RL problems. So I’m back to running the same content again, this time with a different character. Is it boring? Not usually. It is disheartening, though. I had gotten attached to my 60th level rogue. Now he sits on the shelf, waiting, waiting, waiting…for what?

Not to mention that rogues don't have much of a plae in the endgame.  So now I've started my mage...and Pep is already in the 40s because leveling is so easy, especially the 2nd time around.  What happens when I get two characters to 60?  Start a 3rd?  Probably...

My experience in gaming is that there’s a payoff for making the journey. It seems my “payoff” for getting to 60th level is to start all over again. But what else is there to do for a normal, working, family guy right now with a 60th level character? I really don’t enjoy the large raids and I really don’t have the time to devote to them.

In some ways, I feel that Blizzard totally mislead me.  This was the MMORPG for the casual player - and it was for 59 levels.  Yet when I got to level 60, it turned into the most hardcore game I've ever played.  Either commit to going after uber loot, running the same instances all the time, investing a ton of time most everyd day(3-5 hours) to do so in a large, hardcore guild...or be left out in the cold.  There is no middle ground.

I enjoy playing WoW, exploring the game world, meeting new people, seeing new areas, the social interaction, etc. In other words, I enjoy it for many of the same reasons you do. But I’m effectively cut off from that right now because they way the endgame is structured.   I'm going to be playing a while and I'll try to wait it out.  I tend to enjoy leveling characters.  But the 60s who are leaving the game - and it seems that there are a lot of high-level players leaving or just not playing lately - I totally understand.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2005, 03:02:31 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"
It seems that most of the WoWers who disagree with the above statement aren't yet 60.

I completely and totally agree with you there. I see the exact same thoughts on the official forums as well.

If you're under 60, you utterly love the game. If you're 60, it's a total mess that needs so many adjustments and fixes it's not even funny.

The part that makes no sense is that I'm not 60 yet on any of my characters. In fact, I've pretty much made sure I don't keep leveling on my main characters, as I don't want to see this fun game come to a screeching halt.

Why did I say what I said then? I guess I've been reading the offical forums too much. I've come to the conclusion that after reading through everything, the naysayers have a point. They're simply correct.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »

I completely and totally agree with you there. I see the exact same thoughts on the official forums as well.

If you're under 60, you utterly love the game. If you're 60, it's a total mess that needs so many adjustments and fixes it's not even funny.

The part that makes no sense is that I'm not 60 yet on any of my characters. In fact, I've pretty much made sure I don't keep leveling on my main characters, as I don't want to see this fun game come to a screeching halt.

Why did I say what I said then? I guess I've been reading the offical forums too much. I've come to the conclusion that after reading through everything, the naysayers have a point. They're simply correct.

I've been over on the main forums as well from time to time (well, too often).  It's amazing the line in the sand between 60s and non-60s on this issue.  When I was a level 25-30, I even made the standard comment to someone on this issue that "you rushed through the game" - only to find I hit the same wall a month or two later.  That's the only post on those boards I wish I could take back...that 60 wasn't complaining, he was warning the rest of us.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2005, 05:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"

A lot more things? Where? I see nothing!

Ah, ok, guess that is a good way to agrue stuff.

Go REread the opening post on this thread again Toe.  He bitches about lack of communication, then goes into whacked out population numbers, then talks about shitty forums etc, then at the very end of the post he ask "What has blizzard done with all this time."  Those were the main points he was upset with...lack of communication and severly outbalanced server poplulations.  But I guess jumping on his one overexaggerated ancedote makes for good arguing eh?

morlac00 on PSN
rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2005, 04:19:26 AM »

Well, that's my post.  I'd like to thank Toe for his counter-points and his condescending fanboi tone.

Ho.  Lee.  Shit.  Keep calling that kettle black, dude.

Rememeber when ToEE came out?  Way back in the GG days of 2003.  I made the same post you made up top here you jumped all over me about how much of an idiot I was.

Good to see things haven't changed.

Rob
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »

That is the simple solution to the level 60 wall, though. I have one character at level 42 and another at level 38, and it's taken me hundreds of hours to reach that point with the two of them. I still have a long ways to go before I top out, and by then there will be at least the new instance and probably the full PvP implementation.

Reading the official forums too much is a good way to get depressed about the game, anyway. Not only is it mostly petty bitches about everything imaginable, the combined IQ of the posters wouldn't power my desk lamp.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2005, 02:35:57 PM »

Believe it or not, I've gone back to WoW.  Since I sold my account (something I do NOT regret), I'm starting over.  And my hiatus from WoW and my experience with CoH were just the trick.  I've also devoted myself to RPing more and leveling less.  We will see if that holds.

What I liked most about WoW - and missed in CoH - was the story and feeling of "culture".  For example, I started off with a troll priest.  Within my first few levels, I know that my tribe was overrun by murlocs and there are few survivors.  That we are indebted to the orcs for taking us in.  That we're an aggressive but honorable race but that we've been exiled and hated by other trolls because we struck an alliance with the orcs.  As a priest, I don't quite fit in with my other trolls, so I'm a bit unusual.  This character is on a medium-pop server.

So I started another character - a tauren druid.  The backstory is even better.  That we're a peaceful and proud race, a plains people who are mystic by nature and love the land.  That we're not much different from the Night Elves, but not as haughty.  That the orcs helped us to drive off the centaurs and that's why we're allied with them.  And as a druid, I'm very much in character with my noble race.  This character is on a low-pop RP server.

Both starting areas are visually very striking.  I really love the Tauren plains.  Since I got my new monitor, the colors of the game stand out even more.  It's quite beautiful.

I'm sure I'll run into some of the same problems that I encountered before towards the endgame.  Hopefully, many of them will be resolved before I get to level 60.  The Battlegrounds seem very interesting - PvP with a purpose, many of the 12 year olds have moved off to Guild Wars and I've selected character types (priest, druid) that are always in demand in groups.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2005, 01:54:47 AM »

So, what say ye now Blackadder..?

Still playing WoW?

I'm thinking of dumping CoH and trying WoW again.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2005, 02:06:00 AM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »

Quote from: "Arclight"
So, what say ye now Blackadder..?

Still playing WoW?

I'm thinking of dumping CoH and trying WoW again.

Yep.  Found a good guild, a good server and a class I really enjoy (priest).  I've made it to level 60, have run Scholo, Strath, BRD, LBRS, UBRS and MC.  I'm working on my Onyxia key and haven't yet seen BWL.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2005, 05:37:03 PM »

I used to play a mud called Chaos 2....  

I couldnt walk due to thirst/hunger, and my lowely minotaur warrior had to hang at the fountain in town, drinking from it and trying to bum food from passerbys..  I didnt know how to open bags, or go to the new item spot.  Eventually I conquested the game, and loved muds ever since.  I quit and went to a new mud, based on dungeons and dragons.

It was called soujourn/Toril, I conquered everything, was in a uber evil side guild.  Then I quit

Then duris:land of bloodlust (pvp)  (same as sojourn but pvp) (I didnt conquesr everything here, but had alot of fun. I hard of other games, that had graphics, but I like sojourn/duris  But....

eq1 came out.  (Aradune huh? that goodie two shoes ranger from my toril game back in the day?)  I leveled, conquered everything in game (end game was 2 dragons, 2 planes).  I quit.

Went back to eq1.  Planes of power!  Releveled, conquered everything.  Then I quit.

COH....  (60 days, a scrapper and a blaster, didnt quite do it all, but got bored and quit.   (Kohan 2 helped with this, HAH!

EQ2..... yep...  same ol, same old..

Now I am playing wow....

D and D online coming, vanguard city of heroes?  Sure I may be hooked on wow..  but when I get sick of wow, I will quit... and play one of the others....

Nothing to get all upset about, its the way MMORPG work...   I STILL got friends I email everyday that I met at level 10 eq1 launch...

In fact, I just got a email, saying they heard I came to wow, and trying to talk me into coming to their server...  Say they got the #1 power guild on the hoerde side....
ermmm...

Think Ill stay on moonrunner, got burned out on raiding in eq2 recently...   But, I will kill everything in the game, and do everything in the game, but will take my time doing it...

Just posting this...  If ya get tired of a MMORPG, EXPECIALLY with the number of these games out now, and in the future, dont sweat it. Its natural, and be glad yer playing in the era your in..  Come back when expansion comes out, go play EQ2, I promise its also a good game...

From a old text based mudder, back when we dreamed of a game like eq1...

Its all good peeps Cool   Nothing to stress over.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2005, 05:38:13 PM »

I also cancelled my account and uninstalled the game. I might come back to it at some point, but there isjust too much going on right now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: