http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 03:57:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is WoW worth it as it is right now?  (Read 3705 times)
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004, 01:44:28 AM »

It seems like I am going to get a gift certificate for my birthday, and I am thinking of jumping into WoW. Is it worth it to pick this up right now?
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:53:18 AM »

I'm having a blast so far.  I'm pretty new to MMORPG's so others might be able to render a better opinion.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:29:41 AM »

This is pretty subjective and will depend a great deal on which server you choose to play on. Im currently "attempting" to play on Blackhand in the Central Timezone. As I am typing this I am  in a login queue where I am #369 and my estimated wait time is 229 minutes. Normally it takes me about 20 minutes to login to the game. I have personally experienced about 4 CTD's in the past 3 or 4 days which would not be too bad except if you crash out you go back into the queue when you try and log back in.

There are issues with the boats in the game which transport characters between the continents, your character gets stuck in a repeating loop as the boat changes zones and from that point on you cannot access the character. I havent had this one happen personally but there are quite a few posts about this issue on the boards.

A new issue which seems to have cropped up today is the DB servers which run the various Instanced dungeons in the game have been crashing, once this happens again your character becomes inaccessible until the server is reset.

If you can actually manage to login to the game it runs pretty smooth(sans the occasional crash) and the problems with lag and looting seem to be gone. There are still some minor synch issues i.e. you kill a mob and it just stands there walking in place for 3 or 4 minutes or on your screen the mob is in front of you but the server says its behind you so you keep getting "you must be facing your target" messages. These are fairly minor issues though the big one is the queues for me.

If you dont already own the game I would say hold off for at least one more week to see if Blizzard can sort this stuff out.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:32:10 AM »

hells yeah!  I had even heard beta testers from earlier this year state they would have paid for the beta.

To me, and opinions may vary, people complain about things being far worse than they really are.  The servers DO go down once in a while, but I have never had lost anything from my character due to it (unlike other games, like DAOC or EQ).  Also, when the servers go down, you get a broadcast that says "Server going down in X minutes."  The shortest I have seen was two minutes, but it was actually a planned outage: I just neglected to look it up beforehand, so it caught me by surprise.

Other than that, I cant see too much to complain about.  Just make sure you dont go on a server that half the WoW population goes on (like Archimond  :shock: )

Also, if you DO get it, be sure to get a UI add-in like Cosmos.  It adds a lot of really nice features to the game: I cant see playing without it.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:35:35 AM »

Hrm. Well, it's fun. I'm having more fun with it than I have with any other MMORPG, and I've been playing since the end of September.

That said, there are currently some server issues-- though they're not affecting everyone. Personally, I've had no problems since launch day. (Other than the odd hour or two of downtime for maintenance.)

But is the game ready? Is it finished? Well, no MMORPG ever is, as they say. But could it have been more so, based upon the data collected in beta? Yes, definitely. Several key and important features aren't even implemented yet. But the game's very fun as is, and Blizzard appears to be doing their best to keep their promises. I'm sure that they'd never admit it, but my guess is that the release was rushed a bit by a presiding party. And if it is the case, it's not as if people weren't trying to pay to play this very stable beta before, so....

If you want to get into a MMORPG, this is the one to pick, I think. And there's nothing wrong with picking it up now. (As long as you don't try to play on a packed server, as mentioned above....) Of course, de gustibus non est disputandum.
Semaj

View Profile
He
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 10:35:35 AM »

It seems to me the main problems people had is, everyone had to be on a server in the first 20 mins.  So Eveery guild made, every org is on a set set of servers, and of course, almost all of them are int he central time zone I believe.

I myself would have picked a nice out of the way server and just had fun with it )

but I have been in a queue once.... for about 10 mins, tops, and have crashed out of the game maybe 3 times in MANY hours of playing.  I do get some issues when I try to run too much on my woeful computer.  Like slowdown when I fly all over the place, not like crashing.

The game itself is quite fun,.. and the guild I am hanging out with (For you alliance wanna be's, it's the Almost Hero's guild... We do seem to have a bit of fun, when Rincewind isnt crashing 24/7 and I'm not in corpse mode..

So right ow it's the mostfun I have had in a mmorpg in a long time.  In CoH I loved the people (wanderers are generally a good group, and my alt will be in thier group) as well, but the game sort of killed me with the grinding involved.

You will grind here (Grinding is what you call ti when you "grind" out a level by killing thing after thing afte thing.  But usually if you get tired of doing it, there are plety of quests to help kill time and give exp and stop the gridning feeling.even when you still are doing it.

Crafting is actually fun, and god willing I will be the best crafter ever,.. well right after Zaveon who is 2 steps ahead of me in everything I do.  Although I did get ihim in a deul and am only 2 levels behind him, compared to the 4 or 5 it was earlier this week.

So from what I have seen and done, its terribly fun.  Its done in such a way, its not quite boring, sometimes tedius, but never boring.  If you are looking to have a good time, you should definately check it out.

*edited because I forgot to recap, lol*

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 05:19:14 PM »

Is WoW worth it as it stands right now?  Oh hell yeah!  

As long as you don't have a masochistic side that requires you to choose one of the initial super-high population servers there is no reason not to play right now.  It's great fun!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 06:38:38 PM »

Yep.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 06:48:02 PM »

yes? yes? yes!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 06:50:36 PM »

There are no queues on most of the servers. I've never had to wait in one on the server I'm on. Lag was a problem for a day but is now gone. The game is extremely fun and extremely playable. And I 2nd going to cosmosui.com and downloading the interface mod. Indispensable.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 06:50:51 PM »

WoW is worth every penny and every minute of your time, IMHO. Just don't pick one of the busiest servers (as they're having issues with occasional lag and queues to get into the game itself), and you'll have the best time you've ever had with a MMO.

Heck - this game was nearly complete 3 months ago when it was still in closed beta. And it rocked then.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 07:49:47 PM »

There are 12 servers that regularly hit the cap, and 76 that don't.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 07:53:30 PM »

Hey TO,

Do you guys have a predetermined schedule on the population increases, or are you just playing it by ear? Yes, I picked a highly populated server.

*shrugs*

One more thing.....Thanks for a new addiction. :x biggrin
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 07:56:30 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
There are 12 servers that regularly hit the cap, and 76 that don't.
Offer a free character move from those 12 to one of the 76.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 08:54:36 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Heck - this game was nearly complete 3 months ago when it was still in closed beta. And it rocked then.

Hmmm . . . I've heard a whole heck of a lot of "Well it's an MMORPG, so it's never REALLY complete" kind of, well, I'll say "excuses" on whether it's "complete" or not.  But I'm really on the fence with this one whether to pick it up or not.  I've been playing FFXI for a year and I love it.  I tried EQII but it just wasn't as fun as the previous game stated.  From a personal point of view, would you recommend it to me to try?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »

I'm having fun with WoW once I got away from a Warlock.  Don't play one of those, they're gimped and it's frustruating.

The game's great, though.  I hated FFXI with the passion of a thousand dying suns, though, so I don't know how much our tastes jibe.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 09:51:17 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Hmmm . . . I've heard a whole heck of a lot of "Well it's an MMORPG, so it's never REALLY complete" kind of, well, I'll say "excuses" on whether it's "complete" or not.  But I'm really on the fence with this one whether to pick it up or not.  I've been playing FFXI for a year and I love it.  I tried EQII but it just wasn't as fun as the previous game stated.  From a personal point of view, would you recommend it to me to try?

Simply put, yes. WoW, if anything, is fun. It's simple, easy, and fun.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »

Hmm, maybe I will give it a try.  Well then, what would you recommend for a class?  I'm thinking (I think it's) Priest because I like mages, and probably a healing class one would be useful.  What's a good offensive caster class?  Sorry for the questions, but I've read through the main sites' "biographies" and I can't really fully grasp the classes.

Thanks for the input

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 01:38:17 AM »

I've really been digging my hunter.  You get decent melee, good distance damage (guns or bows with special attacks) and your own personal tank in pet form!  I also enjoyed playing a paladin back in beta, so that might be a worthwhile choice as a healer character.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 03:22:47 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I've really been digging my hunter.  You get decent melee, good distance damage (guns or bows with special attacks) and your own personal tank in pet form!  I also enjoyed playing a paladin back in beta, so that might be a worthwhile choice as a healer character.

The hunter is awesome.  With my pet it's like two, two, two characters in one.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 01:45:35 PM »

Yeah, since the Paladin was "redone" - it is a really cool class, especially once you hit around 14.  From there onward, it's a total blast.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "EngineNo9"

The hunter is awesome.  With my pet it's like two, two, two characters in one.

I third the hunter comment. Me and Artax (white cheetah wolf from the Dwarven lands, and I'm a Night Elf) rock the lands as the perfect duo. I hit level 20 recently, and I see no signs of stopping my solo campaign on my off time with my set gruop.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 05:54:19 PM »

depward, priests aren't really offensive casters, they are more of defensive casters.  If you want someone who can do offensive casting, then the mage is your man.  However, keep in mind that for the mage, no mana points = dead meat.  They are fun, though, because it's all about killing the other thing first.

If you are looking to try out a little something of each, just to get an idea of what different characters are like, try a shaman.  They can melee, cast offensive stuff, and heal.  So, they get a little of everything.  The other hybrid classes are the Druid and the Paladin, but frankly a Druid doesn't really become a hybrid until they hit level 10, and the Paladin ends up healing a lot less than you would think, since they are heavily involved in bashing things quite often.

Hunters are a fun class, they are quite a bit different than the other classes to play.  They don't really get going until level 10 either, when you can get pets.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 06:02:30 PM »

Priests are certainly capable solo, especially if they put any points into the Shadow talent tree. It just takes a while to kill the critters. smile

And Priests are probably the least played class (and one of the most wanted in the endgame). They are desparately wanted for the endgame dungeons (rightly or wrongly they are thought to be the "best" healing class).

But Priests, too, don't really get rolling until level 10. smile

Shaman are great - I'm playing one now. Fun class, and lots of tools in the toolbox.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 06:07:27 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
depward, priests aren't really offensive casters, they are more of defensive casters.  If you want someone who can do offensive casting, then the mage is your man.  However, keep in mind that for the mage, no mana points = dead meat.  They are fun, though, because it's all about killing the other thing first.

Actually, when specced for it (i.e. the Shadow talent tree) priest DPS and DPM (damage per mana point) is comparable to a mage. Plus they can heal relatively well along with other goodies (like power word shield, which is a nuker's best friend).

Although if you spec shadow you will not be as effective (healing for less, generating more agro with your heals) in a group situation as a holy or disicpline specced priest.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »

But Priests, too, don't really get rolling until level 10.

Seems like level 10 is the magic level for every class, now that I think about it.  Luckily it doesn't take too long to get there.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2004, 07:27:34 PM »

Having a ball on whisperwind with all the Wanderers.  Come join the fun
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 07:30:36 PM »

Anyone mind telling me what End Game means in terms of a MMORPG?

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 02:49:05 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Anyone mind telling me what End Game means in terms of a MMORPG?

He was just refering to being around the level cap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: