http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:09:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is Warhammer Online dead?  (Read 3320 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »

When company reps start saying that its game has no release date it's time to get worried.

According to two EA reps, Warhammer Online, the Mythic-developed MMO based on the Games Workshop table-top franchise, has disappeared from the company’s release schedule.

“Back in August the game was pencilled in for the first quarter of 2008,” said an agency PR, speaking to videogaming247. “However the game does not feature in EA’s current release schedule and nothing new has been announced.”

“I’m afraid that currently for Warhammer Online, we don’t have a release date,” added an internal spokesperson.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/02/21/no-release-date-for-warhammer-online/

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »

After playing DAoC - a game developed by Mythic as well- for more than 2 years I'm not surprised that there's so much unknown about the status. Based on my experience with DAoC I don't think this necessarily means the game is dead. The Mythic dev and support teams have to be the most arrogant group behind any MMORPG I've ever played. They really have their heads up their asses for the most part, so much so that I'm really not planning on even investing a minute in Warhammer online.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »

This game will not make 08 release.

I have my source (FoF) who is still beta testing the game, so what he says could mean nothing at all, but balancing the many classes is apparently a major issue.
So not dead ... .. . . ..  yet.

Don't really know much about the Warhammer universe, but I am loving this game's design.

Gonna eat your face
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

This and Conan: Hyborian Adventures have been leap frogging each other in constant announced delays, but I don't think either game had an honest-to-goodness specific release date -- generally Gamestop and the like will list arbitrary dates, and the publishers (EA in this case) might toss an estimated date so their investors can get excited. I'm sure the devs themselves are still "it'll release when it's done."

My gut feeling is the more polished they are, the better. And if they can wait a little longer to see if the WoW steamroller finally slows down, all the better. But if they wait too long and end up releasing at the same time as a WoW expansion, than woe be to them. paranoid

I don't share any malice towards Mythic (actually I live in the same region that they're located in, in Virginia), but I do think some recent videos I saw on Gametrailers meant to hype Warhammer Online were overly flippant, had little footage from the actual game and spent too much time trying to make their devs seem funny (they weren't imho) instead of trying to make us viewers excited about the game. That might well reflect the arrogance kronovan cited earlier.

I don't think the game's in any cancellation danger, but EA isn't known for its patience. I couldn't see them pulling the plug on it, but I could see them sticking a "line in the sand" release date and forcing Mythic to release at some point.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »

The same news site posted this later:

“Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is still planned for a Q2 2008 release,” he said. “The beta is doing well, and the feedback we have from the testers is really good.”

Here's the link:
http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/02/21/warhammer-online-on-course-for-q2-says-mythic/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:03:48 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 21, 2008, 10:11:26 PM

This and Conan: Hyborian Adventures have been leap frogging each other in constant announced delays, but I don't think either game had an honest-to-goodness specific release date -- generally Gamestop and the like will list arbitrary dates, and the publishers (EA in this case) might toss an estimated date so their investors can get excited. I'm sure the devs themselves are still "it'll release when it's done."

The devs for Conan have tossed out some months for release a couple of times.  The latest set was October 30th 2007, then March 25th 2008, and now May 20th 2008.  Before that I think there was a March or May 2007 date set, and even before that a 2006 date.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

I have great faith that Conan will eventually pop, at this point. Funcom seems to simply be using the extra time to put the polish on it. The latest videos look amazing. Not from the main site... follow through to the community site and check the videos their, instead.

http://community.ageofconan.com

Atomic

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

Saw a hands on video on Xplay from the GDC. It showed 4 people with mounts(mammoth, rhino, horses) mount up and ride out of town then fight while still on their rides. One guy backed his horse up to some bad guys and mule kicked them smile Looked insanely fun. I got an old original EQ vibe from it.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »

Gamespy came out to my neck of the woods (Northern Va.) to visit EA Mythic and do a week's worth of in-depth updates on this. Check them out here:

Warhammer Online -- A Visit to Ulthuan
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/860594p1.html

They promise some hands-on impressions (starting tomorrow I think), and some exclusive video here and there.

I'm running late, don't have time to highlight much. But if you like grinding, you'll like some of the "goals" for unlocking at least one "Tactic.":
Killing 2000 Beastmen, for example, may unlock a Tactic that shrinks a player's aggro radius or allows the player to do extra damage against that particular monster.
icon_eek I'm hoping maybe he added a zero by mistake.  paranoid
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:15:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »

You have seen the achievement goals in something like LOTRO, right?  Often the first one is to only kill 100, but the second step for a more useful trait will be to kill 10 times as many or something.  For the most part I never went grinding those monsters to see the little bar inch up unless I was very close to the end. 

It's obviously not meant as a low-level goal, it's something to add long-term rewards for players, too.  If all rewards were earned after killing 100 somethings, then (sadly) you would have earned all of them fairly quickly.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

That and if it's like every other mmorpg you will be fighting Beastman Cubs, Beastman Youths, Beastman in Puberty, Angst ridden Beastman, Beastman 'the college years', Beastman Yuppie, Beastman w/ Kids, Mid Life Beastman, Elder Beastman, Ancient Beastman, and finally Dead Beastman.  So you see it really won't be that hard.

morlac00 on PSN
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 21, 2008, 02:59:40 PM

You have seen the achievement goals in something like LOTRO, right?  Often the first one is to only kill 100, but the second step for a more useful trait will be to kill 10 times as many or something.  For the most part I never went grinding those monsters to see the little bar inch up unless I was very close to the end. 

It's obviously not meant as a low-level goal, it's something to add long-term rewards for players, too.  If all rewards were earned after killing 100 somethings, then (sadly) you would have earned all of them fairly quickly.

Deed grinding is what killed LotRO for me. Killing 1500 dire wolves for a 1 or 2 point stat boost just didn't do it for me. If any future MMO comes out that makes you do something on the level of LotRO deed and reputation grinding I'll be saving some money as I won't play.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on March 21, 2008, 04:52:11 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 21, 2008, 02:59:40 PM

Deed grinding is what killed LotRO for me. Killing 1500 dire wolves for a 1 or 2 point stat boost just didn't do it for me. If any future MMO comes out that makes you do something on the level of LotRO deed and reputation grinding I'll be saving some money as I won't play.

Yeah, same. I wanted so badly to get through LoTRo and see all the content...but it just got so bogged down by its own design. I felt like a plodding, ponderous character in a game world. Not a vibrant, dynamic one.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »

Aye, I enjoyed LOTORO several months (apparently I pre-ordered it in April 2007 -- it hardly seems that long ago). I know the deeds there were more, "here's a neat bonus just as you go along doing other things," but yeah sometimes I'd get caught up in trying to kill 50-100 of something to complete a deed. I just don't remember one that requires 2,000.  icon_surprised

I guess it's sort of a Catch-22. If you make the reward good it's a nice carrot, but if you feel like you *have* to have the deed-reward type thing to be a successful character, then it can burn you out (and I know that feeling).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »

I just really hope they don't have any grind reward that affects pvp.  I despise accolades in CoX because in pvp it comes down to the badge grinders vs everyone else.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »

Delayed until Fall.  Also neat looking CE announced.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »

Probably he be referring to this...
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=86369
Quote from: Blue
The SE will include an art book, a hardcover graphic novel, some miniatures, as well as in-game goodies, including bonus quests, rewards, and titles. They also say those who preorder will gat open beta access, a head start on the live game, and additional bonus items. This will be a limited edition, they say 55,000 units will be released in Europe for an 80 Euro MSRP, leading to the age-old dilemma of deciding if you love a game enough for this sort of commitment before you've gotten to play it.
I think Blue's forgetting that most retail pre-order boxes don't obligate you to buy the full game (though you may well not want to pay 10 bucks just to - possibly - find out the game you were excited about is an Emperor with no clothes icon_neutral). I mentioned elsewhere, but I bought the pre-order boxes for COV and Auto Asssault just to get in the late beta and in each case declined to get the full game when it launched (I did get each later). I can maybe see myself doing that with this and Age of Conan rather than plopping $50-$60 down sight unseen.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 26, 2008, 04:19:52 PM

Delayed until Fall.  Also neat looking CE announced.

Heres a shot. You have to paint your minis though smile

Thnx to esloan and killbot737 @ OO for pic and info

* An exclusive Games Workshop miniature of the Greenskin leaders GRUMLOK and GAZBAG (Assembly and painting required)
* WARHAMMER ONLINE: PRELUDE TO WAR, a 128-page hardbound, original graphic novel
* THE ART OF WARHAMMER ONLINE, a 224-page hardbound collection of original game art
* Bonus In-Game Item – THE LIBRAMS OF INSIGHT, a special use XP-gain modifier
* Bonus Quests – Twelve (12) exciting in-game quests for further adventures on the frontlines
* Bonus Quest Rewards – Twelve (12) in-game items to aid you on your journeys
* Bonus Character Titles – Twelve (12) titles to show off your exploits to the world
* Bonus Character Customization Options – Twelve (12) unique character heads
* ONLY 60,000 COLLECTOR’S EDITIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA!

EDIT; Now THATS a CE Im down for. The Sins of a Solar Empire CE was crap. You got what..a tech tree poster and hotkey card? UGh. Love the game and Stardock but thats not the way to do a CE....this is. Well cept for in game items..they're lame too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:47:30 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »

What, no disgustingly cute panda bear that'll follow you around and make noises when you click it with the CE? Epic fail! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:53 AM »

(Assembly and painting required)

what the hell is that BS?  I want them assembled and painted, not a do it yourself project goddammit!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 03:45:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2008, 12:45:53 AM

(Assembly and painting required)

what the hell is that BS?  I want them assembled and painted, not a do it yourself project goddammit!

You have heard of this thing called Warhammer, right?  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 03:51:17 AM »

I plan to paint one with his right half white and his left half black and then paint the other one his right half black and his left half white. they will chase each other forever destroying countless worlds and universes.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 04:47:45 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 27, 2008, 03:51:17 AM

I plan to paint one with his right half white and his left half black and then paint the other one his right half black and his left half white. they will chase each other forever destroying countless worlds and universes.

WOW do I feel old all of a sudden, as I know exactly what you're talking about. Nicely done. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 27, 2008, 04:47:45 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on March 27, 2008, 03:51:17 AM

WOW do I feel old all of a sudden, as I know exactly what you're talking about. Nicely done. biggrin

Would Bill Shatner be available to play referee for that game?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 05:11:08 AM »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/862691p1.html

Good read for the Chaos side there. I liked how the higher lvl players can have their own statues in town and you can destroy them smile Also the town seige quests for lowers lvl players sound fun too. You dont have to attack the guards and others...you can break into civilian homes and slaughter them and burn their homes. smile

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

See it has been delayed until Autumn(fall) due to class balancing issues.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on March 28, 2008, 07:50:45 AM

See it has been delayed until Autumn(fall) due to class balancing issues.

bah, release it now and then rebalance the classes after everyone has invested in the most powerful one  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »

The only thing that worries me about RvR is population balance.  I remember playing Midgard on Palomides and Albion having more players than Mid and Hib combined.  Made the frontier pointless unless you had a dedicated RvR team. 

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to Warhammer.  As I got my CE pre-ordered already

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 28, 2008, 04:12:20 PM

The only thing that worries me about RvR is population balance.  I remember playing Midgard on Palomides and Albion having more players than Mid and Hib combined.  Made the frontier pointless unless you had a dedicated RvR team. 

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to Warhammer.  As I got my CE pre-ordered already

I'm hoping that only two factions should help that a bit.  Also now Mythic has experience with merging servers for rvr purposes so we might get cross server rvr areas.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

visionblind posted this in another thread: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/29516

It's a city walkthrough.  Frankly, I was less than impressed.  The graphics/art direction looked like crap. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 29, 2008, 10:38:19 AM

visionblind posted this in another thread: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/29516

It's a city walkthrough.  Frankly, I was less than impressed.  The graphics/art direction looked like crap. 

I'm hoping this game's strenght is in the game-play.....Nice visuals would help, but if they nail PvP in a MMO..then all's forgiven.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that all the bells and whistles of the graphics are turned off right now in beta. They want to balance it and get it right before adding in the complications of graphics effects and lighting.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 29, 2008, 04:26:40 PM

I thought I read somewhere that all the bells and whistles of the graphics are turned off right now in beta. They want to balance it and get it right before adding in the complications of graphics effects and lighting.

plus now that have have more months to work on things they can take their time with the hi res graphics.

Because I can,
esloan
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »

Hey guys, esloan from OO here.

Yes, the graphics in the beta and in most of the videos released lately are with all of the graphics turned all the way down.  This is WAR at the lowest graphic settings.  Mythics rationale for this is that they want to make everything in the game work correctly before adding complications like the full graphics settings and the lighting engine. 

The only thing you can do in the beta currently to improve graphics is adjust the resolution and force Anti-aliasing in your graphic card options.

Believe me the graphics with everything turned up are pretty damn good, not AOC level but good nonetheless.  I think Mythic is taking the WoW approach, make the graphics good but make them so more people can run the game.  It is a smart way to do it, imho. 

Plus, there is the fact that there will be a whole lot more people on screen at one time, due to the nature of RvR, than there will be in AOC.  There was a battle in beta that had 300-350 players fighting in one area, no way that could be done with AOC graphics, it would bring most PCs to their knees.

So, the graphics you see in those videos are the absolute worst graphics the game engine can provide, they will get a whole hell of a lot better!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »

Good info, thanks esloan.

No more Chicken Little stuff..............The sky isn't falling.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »

Quote from: esloan on March 30, 2008, 10:41:46 AM

Hey guys, esloan from OO here.

Yes, the graphics in the beta and in most of the videos released lately are with all of the graphics turned all the way down.  This is WAR at the lowest graphic settings.  Mythics rationale for this is that they want to make everything in the game work correctly before adding complications like the full graphics settings and the lighting engine. 

The only thing you can do in the beta currently to improve graphics is adjust the resolution and force Anti-aliasing in your graphic card options.

Believe me the graphics with everything turned up are pretty damn good, not AOC level but good nonetheless.  I think Mythic is taking the WoW approach, make the graphics good but make them so more people can run the game.  It is a smart way to do it, imho. 

Plus, there is the fact that there will be a whole lot more people on screen at one time, due to the nature of RvR, than there will be in AOC.  There was a battle in beta that had 300-350 players fighting in one area, no way that could be done with AOC graphics, it would bring most PCs to their knees.

So, the graphics you see in those videos are the absolute worst graphics the game engine can provide, they will get a whole hell of a lot better!

Thanks for the info...though I don't understand why someone would release a video of the game with the graphics in "suck" mode.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: