http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:13:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: invite etiquette.....  (Read 1722 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:59:23 PM »

So last night, I'm playing GoW.....in Act 3 of the campaign in a particularly tense moment that I won't describe to avoid spoilers.   I see an invite from Jarrodhk and think...ok...I'll finish this off and go respond to that.  Well, it took me a while to finish it (just 1 more attempt syndrome...had to figure out the trick) and then at the end I went to look at the invite and it was gone. 

So....first to Jarrodhk....I apologize for not responding.  I had a blast the other night when we did actually play.

2ndly, what is the socially accepted behavior for invites?   Do you respond (positively or negatively) to every invite you get?   Or do you just ignore invites when you're in the middle of something?   I've never been in a position where I didn't actually know the people in my friends list in real life and I know how to respond to those people.  My friends list has gotten a lot bigger (note...not bragging here because it is still relatively small.......and I thank each and every one of you that have added me).   It seems like I could be getting a couple of invites a night as that has been the norm since GoW was released. 

- shaggy

Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »

I think it's a personal thing.  However, from gaming with different communities, you sort of have a different level of what's "accepted", depending on the community.

Here at GT - my impression has always been that the person being invited has no obligation whatsoever to respond if they do not plan on joining in.  No response translates to "Thanks for the invite, but I am not interested at this time."

That being said, quite often people will shoot me a voice message later saying something like, "Hey, got your invite, but I was busy doing such-and-such.  I hope we can hook up soon."

Or the short version.... Don't sweat it.   icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »

The only time I won't pause for an invite is when I'm watching a movie.  If I'm watching a movie and forget to sign out, I don't want to be bothered. smile 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:27:59 PM »

I hate when I do that.  You're all into this great scene, suspending the real world, totally engrossed...

BAM!

Little envelope on the bottom of your screen with that little noise it makes.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »

I'll usually respond (or just accept and join the game) unless I'm in a game where I can not realistically break off to respond without losing something or, like KD, I'm watching a movie.  Usually in that case, I'm not holding the controller and I'm too lazy to get it.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:06:45 PM »

Didn't the latest update add the option of turning off the bubble notifications while watching a movie?

- shaggy

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:26:30 PM »

I had heard that, but I didn't see any place to toggle that.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 06:40:01 AM »

I wouldn't sweat any invites from me.  If you want, jump in!  If you're busy, no problem catch ya next time.  icon_smile

It can be frustrating sometimes when you are looking for people to play with, you get 8 and then someone messages you saying they can't get in.  I always feel bad when that happens.  (which is a lot with GOW so far)

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 06:27:37 PM »

If I send out invites and don't get a response, I too read it as, "thanks but no thanks, maybe next time."  No problem.  Sometimes I get invites that I am unable to accept, either because I'm playing with someone else or because I'm involved in a single-player game.  I hope that others view my lack of response in the same manner, "thanks but no thanks, maybe next time," and I even sometimes send a note later that apologizes for my lack of respone and perhaps we can hook up in the future. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 17, 2006, 06:27:37 PM

If I send out invites and don't get a response, I too read it as, "thanks but no thanks, maybe next time."  No problem.  Sometimes I get invites that I am unable to accept, either because I'm playing with someone else or because I'm involved in a single-player game.  I hope that others view my lack of response in the same manner, "thanks but no thanks, maybe next time," and I even sometimes send a note later that apologizes for my lack of respone and perhaps we can hook up in the future. 

Same here.  Most of the time I don't respond to an invite is because I have the dog at my feet and don't want to drop the game and screw everyone else up if he decides to do something bad. Sometimes an adolescent puppy, no matter how well trained he may be, decides that he REALLY wants to chew or hump something he shouldn't.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 08:52:48 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 06:33:54 PM

Same here.  Most of the time I don't respond to an invite is because I have the dog at my feet and don't want to drop the game and screw everyone else up if he decides to do something bad. Sometimes an adolescent puppy, no matter how well trained he may be, decides that he REALLY wants to chew or hump something he shouldn't.

gellar
Not to mention you ignore messages the same way smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 08:56:32 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 17, 2006, 08:52:48 PM

gellar

Well that's because I don't have a keyboard attached to my 360 and don't like typing with the stupid controller smile

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 08:56:32 PM

gellar

Well that's because I don't have a keyboard attached to my 360 and don't like typing with the stupid controller smile
gellar
Well yeah noob, thats what voice messages are for! biggrin
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 17, 2006, 09:40:26 PM

gellar

gellar

My headset is in the drawer under the TV, yo.  I don't keep it out unless I use it.

A place for everything and everything in it's place, and all that.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 09:52:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 09:43:47 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 17, 2006, 09:40:26 PM

gellar

gellar

My headset is in the drawer under the TV, yo.  I don't keep it out unless I use it.

A place for everything and everything in it's place, and all that.

gellar
You shame me, sir frown
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »

I used to be a slob.  Then the dog.  Now if it is not put away, it runs a risk of being chewed.  I am a much neater person now.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 01:46:24 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 09:54:00 PM

I used to be a slob.  Then the dog.  Now if it is not put away, it runs a risk of being chewed.  I am a much neater person now.

gellar

See I don't like dogs though...
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 06:36:24 PM »

I agree with what has been said.  If you don't respond to the invite it is cool......  But before I send people invites I see what they are doing.  I normally don't invite people who are in movies but if you are in the same game and we are playing MP and have room, then ya you will probably get the invite.  I just wish that GoW had more room for people.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 03:12:40 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 09:54:00 PM

My little kitten is the same way. I've already lost two PC headset/mic combo devices thanks to her.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: