http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Need A Break From COD 4  (Read 5253 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »

Those who have played with me (grand brotherhood that we are!) know that I'm pretty even keeled and that my guidelines for trashtalking are pretty staid as compared to some of the stuff encountered over Live. However, last night I think I crossed a line.

Typically, when someone gets me irked, I'll engage in a subtle campaign of trash talking intertwined with humor and sardonic wit- and I'm good enough that I can back it up with play. However, I never get so amped (except when someone goes after a friend) that I feel I cross the line.

Well last night it happened.  BobM witnessed the whole thing.

We had partied up with Hellswan (typo, but what a cool name!) I mean Hellspawn and M4ck3r and were going about our business when we landed in a room with some cats from the HooD clan.  As I remember it- it's all a bit hazy, really-, they immediately started swearing at us (don't know if it was after a match or as soon as we happened into the room) one guy (HooD) nycBaller in particular.  So I go on the offensive, but there was something different.  I had venom. 

NycBaller: F*** you. (or some variation)
ATB:you swearing at your mom?  your mom's in here? don't talk to your mom like that!
NycBaller's friend: F*** you. (or some variation)
ATB: your mom's in here too? Don't talk to your mom that way!

Match begins. Match Ends with our team winning and me having a good match

NycBaller: You shouldn't use the M16. Use a real gun (with profanity of course)
ATB: you're just saying that cause you got schooled by a guy with an M16
NycBaller: F*** you. You (torrent of swears including my apparent desire to perform fellatio...)
ATB: Ok Nickballer
NycBaller: It's NYC
NycBaller's friend: It's NYC as in New York City
ATB: Okay Nick!
Nick: I'ma kick your ass this match.
ATB: Okay Nick! Nick! Nick! Nick! Nick! Nick! Nick! Nick! (match begins, he does kick our ass).

ATB: Good match Nick
Nick: F*** you. I owned you
ATB: Yeah you did. Good match, Nick.
Nick: That's right.
Nibbon: (some other crazy nut in the room): NICK SUCKS NICK SUCK NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS
Nick: F*** you. (torrent of swears)
ATB: Oh Nick.

I change my clan tag to (HooD) in mockery. This was a first for me. Hellspawn in uncharacteristically quiet support, changes his to (Nick).

Next match. We lose a close one but I was like 26-15 or something. Nick was 19-22.

Nick: You're not winning another match as long as I'm in here.
ATB: You're talking trash at 19-22, Nick? Don't be a sore winner and a sore loser, Nick,  that's a terrible conversation er combination (I said this two or three times. The heat of battle got my tongue tied)
Nick: F*** you. (torrent of swears)
Nibbon: NICK SUCKS NICK SUCK NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS NICK SUCK NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS

Next match. We win. And a repeat of the above.

I don't remember what I said exactly, but I was far more angry and bitter than I usually am. Lots of more nicks. Probably some you didn't do so well that match Nick Nick Nick.
During the next match I'm talking to Bob and tell him I'm being more of a jerk than usual. That I'm actually being mean etc.  He basically said yeah or nothing. I can't remember- he's quiet. It may have been him or hellspawn.

After the next match I apologize to Nick and say I'm sorry for being mean. I change my tag back to nothing.

Nick: F*** you.
Nibbon: NICK SUCKS NICK SUCK NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS NICK SUCK NICK SUCKS NICK SUCKS

I think Mikagami came in for his first match (...so he didn't play well) in the next one onto the other team with Nick. Bob, Hellspawn and I were joking about both fearing him and killing him cause he's so psycho good at this game. We win in blow out fashion.

Nick probably said lots of F-you's and then left the game with his crew. I trash talked him some more after he left and was being a real jerk.  For the next one or two matches (I was pretty tired) I kept talking about the guy which is so over the top for me I dunno.

Anyhew- I think it's time for a break. I've found myself swearing a lot at this game lately which again is uncharacteristic. Soooo I think I'm done until Mid april until when I get back from a trip to FLA. 

But even as I get ready to press 'post' it beckons to me...beckons...beckons...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »

You'll be back soon Nick
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »

Dammit, I wish I had played last night.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:48:56 PM »

sure.. we all know this is really about WBS getting CoD4 and threatening to pimp slap you  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:05:58 PM »

I lost brain cells just reading that.  I might as well unlock voice coms on my 360 and get lobotomized.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

This is a good illustration of why I never cared for voice chat.  Hearing little kids refer to me with non-applicable racial slurs is not, IMO, any sort of progress in the gaming experience.

It's nice that you can tell your team mates where a sniper is without having to type it, but having to hear people talk smack is kind of useless.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »

That's why when put into that sort of situation, I don't say anything.  As witty as you think you're being, in the end, you regret even engaging in that sort of thing.  People are absolutely lame.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 27, 2008, 04:29:54 PM

This is a good illustration of why I never cared for voice chat.  Hearing little kids refer to me with non-applicable racial slurs is not, IMO, any sort of progress in the gaming experience.

It's nice that you can tell your team mates where a sniper is without having to type it, but having to hear people talk smack is kind of useless.

Thankfully the game makes it easy enough to mute people.  I typically spend the first 30 seconds of a match muting people who were irritating in the lobby slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 05:34:44 PM »

I don't want to blow the above out of proportion as by and large the majority of people on LIVE in my experience are great and my friends list is full of them.

Just a small minority and I was one of them last night...
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 27, 2008, 05:34:44 PM

I don't want to blow the above out of proportion as by and large the majority of people on LIVE in my experience are great and my friends list is full of them.

Couldn't you have muted them and then submitted a negative player review? That's what I do with those people. My younger brother, who used to play Counter-Strike and I can tell is one of those bastards who likes to talk smack in games, was on my account yesterday playing R6V2 and I heard him call someone a "faggot", I slapped the shit out of the back of his head for that one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:45:42 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 27, 2008, 05:43:30 PM

Couldn't you have muted them and then submitted a negative player review?

As I usually do. I just lost control. Hence the possible need for a break.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »

Damnnit I want go and play again.  I love love it when people start bitching and complaining when I or my team win. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:00:45 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 27, 2008, 01:35:30 PM

Dammit, I wish I had played last night.

Dude wtf? How did I miss this? This was EPIC. I would have LOVED to be in on this.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:11:44 AM »

It only takes one of these, and I experienced one, and I'm done with open internet multi forever.  ONLY play coop with people I know personally.  Period.  Life is too short to put up with that even remotely happening.  But that's me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:23:02 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 28, 2008, 12:11:44 AM

It only takes one of these, and I experienced one, and I'm done with open internet multi forever.  ONLY play coop with people I know personally.  Period.  Life is too short to put up with that even remotely happening.  But that's me.

This doesn't happen if you set your voice coms to friends only. 
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »

I don't think you need to be so hard on yourself for owning and slandering a guy who's vocabulary is 2/3 "f*ck".

Or as Nick would say "f*ck you, you f*ck, I'm gonna f*cking f*ck you" or something.

My favorite was the guy on our team for two matches who screamed "f*ck" every time he died. And he died a lot. It was the only thing he said into the mic for two matches. Why does he bother to wear it?

We'll miss you, SexyRhubarb.

Or we'll just play Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2008, 02:48:56 PM

sure.. we all know this is really about WBS getting CoD4 and threatening to pimp slap you  icon_wink

Damn right.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 28, 2008, 04:21:03 PM

Damn right.

I'll be on tonight. Step into my world.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »

I used to have my headset on whenever I was on Live.  At some point, I turned voice volume down to half, and had my headset volume up.

Then, I realized that voice chat was never used for vital in-game communication, and was just used to verbally berate those who sucked (usually me), so I stopped playing online.  Then I figured out that I could just play without the headset when not playing with friends.  Suddenly, I could hear mumblings through the speaker, but not loud enough to really make out speech, and my MP gaming was so much better. 

So I guess my lesson was to play online, but pretend that you're playing against really crudely-named bots.  Plug in the headset for playing with friends.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 28, 2008, 04:45:24 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 28, 2008, 04:21:03 PM

Damn right.

I'll be on tonight. Step into my world.

ATB has thrown down the pink frilly glove.  Will WBS pick it up?

stay tuned.....

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:39 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 28, 2008, 11:23:00 PM

I used to have my headset on whenever I was on Live.  At some point, I turned voice volume down to half, and had my headset volume up.

Then, I realized that voice chat was never used for vital in-game communication, and was just used to verbally berate those who sucked (usually me), so I stopped playing online.  Then I figured out that I could just play without the headset when not playing with friends.  Suddenly, I could hear mumblings through the speaker, but not loud enough to really make out speech, and my MP gaming was so much better. 

So I guess my lesson was to play online, but pretend that you're playing against really crudely-named bots.  Plug in the headset for playing with friends.

As was sort of mentioned earlier, you can set your privacy settings to only allow voice communication with people on your friends list.  Edit your profile, go to privacy settings, then "voice and text", and choose "Friends only" and you'll filter our everyone else.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »

Honestly trash talking (other than with friend's that I KNOW are just joking) whether from people on my team or the other team takes most of the fun out of a game.  One of the reasons I stopped playing COD4 is that I got tired of listening to people act... less than smart... on both sides.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

WBS didn't show.  Whatta chump.  disgust  nod Tongue
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »

Oh, depends the mood I'm in is what determines if I play with a headset or not smile

If it's with you guys or friends on my list from other places, I'm always up for voice (I find it more rude to diss and not speak with friends or people you constantly play with than cussing and insulting, maybe'coz I don't mind trash talking at all) while playing. Now, if it's some random match that I jumped into for a quick game and don't feel like talking, I simply don't use voice chat and have a blast, even if someone cusses at me slywink. Now, if I do feel in the mood I'm either saying silly shit, the ocasional trash talk (I can dish it, and can take it, but not really interested in living off it biggrin) or trying to be helpful.

All in all, I have fun and don't ever take it personal (I actually laugh at those who try too hard to insult other and such), not to mention focus my shooting on to them if aim permits it slywink.

Then again, been a while since I've dug into CoD 4 mp frownfrownfrown...

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »

Ahahaaaa yeah that was not the best of time to come out of Vegas 2.

My mind was all screwey control AND gameplay wise, so I kind of stunk up the place.

I tend to keep my mouth shut lately when it comes to the trash talk.
Take a look at my Live feedback, it's a hurtin' and I really don't want to deal with any weekend bans that MS is so happy to hand out based on one's feedback scores.

Like stated above, the mute button is a miracle.
I don't hesitate to mute anymore (hard mute through GT, not the soft match mute in-game), and it just avoids alot of headaches completely.

She's a b!tch of of a game, but we love her all the same.

Gonna eat your face
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 03:13:58 PM »

Alright, ATB. I finally have it again since the USPS took its sweet time delivering the game via trade. Played a bit last night to warm up, and remembered why I hate FPS's so much on consoles - precision aiming with your thumbs sucks. But I have it and once I train up a bit I'll find you.

Then you'll be sorry as you find your ass kicked all over the map(s). ninja2

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 18, 2008, 03:13:58 PM

Alright, ATB. I finally have it again since the USPS took its sweet time delivering the game via trade. Played a bit last night to warm up, and remembered why I hate FPS's so much on consoles - precision aiming with your thumbs sucks. But I have it and once I train up a bit I'll find you.

You've caught me in a weird stage. I'm very inconsistent (consistently inconsistent!) and will most likely be online tonight. Let's party up and rock the world? Or do you have some lame RL commitment?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 18, 2008, 04:04:53 PM

You've caught me in a weird stage. I'm very inconsistent (consistently inconsistent!) and will most likely be online tonight. Let's party up and rock the world? Or do you have some lame RL commitment?

he'll probably be busy looking for white hairs  nod

I'm still having a blast with the PC MP.  the nice thing about the PC and public servers is that practically no one uses the built in voice chat, so there's less verbal asshattery.

Because I can,
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

Then take a break.

"Goonies never say die"
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2008, 04:09:38 PM

Quote from: ATB on April 18, 2008, 04:04:53 PM

he'll probably be busy looking for white hairs  nod

I'm still having a blast with the PC MP.  the nice thing about the PC and public servers is that practically no one uses the built in voice chat, so there's less verbal asshattery.

It's so easy to mute people that I find I'd rather just pop a button to mute each offender than miss out on the teamwork that often happens on Live.  Most people aren't idiots that play, it's just that there are enough of them that you usually have 1-2 per room of 12.
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »

I *might* be on tonight; I've got lame RL plans but I'm so beat after this crazy work week that playing CoD with you jerks and drinking a bottle of wine sounds pretty good right about now.

EDIT: I can attest to ATB/Lettuce's streakiness lately; you just gotta run it out, man. Rub some dirt in it. It won't get better by itself, pansy.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »

The possibility of me being on tonight is fairly high. We'll see, but right now things are looking good.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »

I was planning on playing COD today, but the wife has taken over the TV.

I am sad.
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

Upon further review, I'm most likely going out tonight. Sorry for the tease, gents.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

I had the week off from gaming since I was in the field, but what is everyone playing tonight? COD4 or Vegas?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 12:51:23 AM »

I'm up for CoD or Vegas either way.  Probably give the nod to CoD though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »

Alright I'm back. I was on earlier and and still on but then the wife got home and we went to dinner. I'm back now.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 05:06:08 AM »

Okay, that was a heck of a lot of fun. See you guys maybe later this weekend. thumbsup

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »

You got out at the right time. As is our way, we dropped the last two matches we played.  We always seem to go 2 or 3 matches too long...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »

I got my first airstrike. I'm so proud  crybaby.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: