http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:26:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think COH blows (maybe)  (Read 2293 times)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2005, 09:32:07 AM »

Stand back everyone. This is going to be a major AOE whine.

After a pretty stressful day, I finally get a chance to load up COH. My first impression was not a good one. The interface and mouse control suck big ones. Now I have been up 24 hours, and I am probably doing something wrong, but when I hit escape, and was not immediately rewarded with an options menu, I just new it was going to be a frustrating session. I can't remember the last computer game I've played that did not default to the options screen once you hit escape.

Then it got worse. Again, I recognize the possibility that I'm just too tired to learn a new game, but why the #### is the right mouse button the default mouse button instead of the left. Again, I've never played a computer game where the menu wasn't controlled by the left mouse button.

Not even left-right arrows were default. That's just stupid.

So anyway, I finally access the menu, and try and reverse the mouse, so that pushing forward = up, and backwards = down. I never could figure that out. I didn't even try to attempt programming left+right mouse (press both at same time) to move forward.

And is there anyway to increase the size of the damn menu or text?

Well anyway. I'm very discouraged over all of this. Hopefully, I'm just too tired to figure it out, and it will all come easy tomorrow.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »

CoH uses WASD, doesnt it?  I dont remember.

Ive gotten pretty used to remapping the keyboard in games; at this point its almost routine, and I never remember when I do or dont have to do it.  One thing I remember was the game didnt become the incredibly fun game people rant about until you get your travel power (Super Jump for life, yo!).
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »

I don't use wasd. That's FPS. I come from rpgs, where the left-right arrow keys are usually used.

Not being able to use left-right would pretty much kill it for me, especially if I can't figure out how to move with my mouse.

Just the entire concept of using the left hand to move my character causes my brain to freeze up.

Edit: Ok, I was able to reprogram my keyboard to use the arrows keys for movement, but I can't figue out how to bind looking up dowm to my mouse. How positively backwards. In every single mmorpg I've ever played, you're able to use the mouse to move forward, and look up or down, all at the same time. This makes navigating tunnels or slopes a breeze, since you can constantly change your field of view, while moving forward, simply by using the mouse. It seems odd that you can't do that in COH.

Wait, I take that back. SB also had a gimped movement system, but I hated SB for that exact reason.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »

This has nothing to do with what I think of CoH, but I'm wondering out of curiousity - what games have you played recently that did not principally use "wasd" as controls for movement.  I can't even think of one.  Certainly every recent online game I've played whether WoW, EQ II, Guild Wars and some non-online games like KOTOR 1 and 2, Vampire: Bloodlines all use it for movement.  I know some of non-3d games might be able to rely on the mouse exclusively (like the older Bioware games), but I can't think of too many recent ones.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »

I remember SWG had some sort of system like what you're talking about.  It was my first MMO, so I didn't have any problems adjusting to it but after going back during a free week after playing WoW and CoH it was just horrendous.  Most third-person games that I've played used WASD for movement and then some form of camera control with the mouse.

As for CoH, I don't recall having any serious UI issues with it, and since you can remap just about everything, you should be able to tweak it to your liking.  If not, you may need to dip into some macro setups.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:01:33 PM »

All noobs use wasd, but in most mmorpgs you can use the mouse to move forward and change camera views, with just one hand, which means you can use the other hand to use hotbuttons. This comes in extremely handy for pvp.

Press the right mouse button, and then the left, and your character will move forward. While you are doing that, move the mouse forward or backwards to look up or down. This allows you to run through zig zagging tunnels, just as smoothly as running on flat ground, all the while keeping your view perfectly level. If you were using wasd, the twisting corridor would require you to constantly alter your camera view. This is especially beneficial to anyone in first person.

Trick number two. While auto running, press on your ctrl key, and then use your mouse to look around, while your character continues to move forward. This allows your character to move one direction, while your camera view is pointing another direction.

EQ allows this, and so does WOW, and I'm pretty sure you can do it in SWG.

If memory serves, AC and AO both allow mouse movement, as well.
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »

Invert mouse is on the first tab under options.  Now, no more complaints please.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 08:58:10 PM »

Quote from: "Randomayhem"
Now, no more complaints please.

Right away, Sir 15 Posts.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:41:46 PM »

Quote from: "Randomayhem"
Invert mouse is on the first tab under options.  Now, no more complaints please.

I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I did, but I had been up 24 hours, so maybe I had a brain fart. I'll investigate this, when I play later on - thanks.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »

Now that you mention it, the camera never did feel right there.  I was always looking up instead of down, even after toying with the invert mouse.  I think there was an early bug in which the invert mouse didnt work.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 01:01:15 AM »

I could only find a "reverse mouse controls", which I'm pretty sure switches functions from the right mouse button to the left.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 03:02:12 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"
All noobs use wasd, but in most mmorpgs you can use the mouse to move forward and change camera views, with just one hand, which means you can use the other hand to use hotbuttons. This comes in extremely handy for pvp.

Press the right mouse button, and then the left, and your character will move forward. While you are doing that, move the mouse forward or backwards to look up or down. This allows you to run through zig zagging tunnels, just as smoothly as running on flat ground, all the while keeping your view perfectly level. If you were using wasd, the twisting corridor would require you to constantly alter your camera view. This is especially beneficial to anyone in first person.

Trick number two. While auto running, press on your ctrl key, and then use your mouse to look around, while your character continues to move forward. This allows your character to move one direction, while your camera view is pointing another direction.

EQ allows this, and so does WOW, and I'm pretty sure you can do it in SWG.

If memory serves, AC and AO both allow mouse movement, as well.

Well, I'm happy to be a noob then, because I hate holding both mouse buttons down at the same time to run.  I'd turn on autorun first.  But, I think you're right, I don't remember being able to set that up in CoH.  But, you shouldn't be a noob yourself and learn to adapt!   :wink:
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »

I could only find a "reverse mouse controls", which I'm pretty sure switches functions from the right mouse button to the left.

Options -> General -> Miscellaneous -> Mouse Movement = Inverted
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 07:24:14 PM »

I've started to use the left+right mouse movement in COH, and it was really easy to set up.  Go into your movement options, and for Forward just click both the right and left buttons at the same time.  (Note I am recalling this from memory, because I'm at work.  But I do use it now, and it's smooth as silk.  Plus used the thumb buttons to activate other travel powers (superjump, flight, TP).  It's doable, and not difficult.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:40:16 PM »

I used the WASD keys in WoW while PvP'ing with my Shadow Priest and it seemed to work quite nicely.  I only lost one duel and never lost an even matched PvP fight, even against players 6 or 7 levels higher than I was.  I could run circles around most people, easily.  The one duel I did lose was against another Shadow Priest and it was so close it came down to the two of us bashing each other with our staves.  We dueled again right after the first fight and that time I won, but barely.  Maybe you are just a "noob" who doesn't know how to PvP using that style of control setup?

glyc

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »

You can use the mouse only to move, but most don't because it was just implemented. The option is in options>controls>Forward(mouse control). You have to set a key to the option then turn it on I think.

I take that back...I just tried it and it worked fine.
I'd never want that, personally.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: