http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally picked up WOW, and this is my first mmorpg!  (Read 1970 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2005, 07:30:31 AM »

Absolutely great game so far. I`m just a level 4 warrior, but I can see where this is going! I had a few questions about this though. First, I have a p4 3.0ghz, 1gb ddr, 6800gt oc 256mb, sblive etc. Should I be able to run this at all high settings? It defaulted it kinda low on some stuff, and med and high on a few others(even though, to my surprise it looks rather nice at these setting even). I`m beat and I`ll be even more sleepy after I play for a few more hours... :wink:  Great game. If anyone has anything they think I should know, please feel free. Later.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »

Crank it up and you'll be fine.  My system's a bit shy of where yours is at and I run it with everything maxed out.

It's really an addictive game.  I took a break for four months and I'm re-hooked all over.

Let me know of you have any specific questions.  I'm on Moonrunner playing a horde troll rogue named Burne.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »

Yep...mine is basically the same setup as yours except for a slower processor and I have everything maxed.  The only problems you might have will probably be in Ironforge (if you're alliance) but everyone has those problems (too many people, large area and lag smile)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 05:04:43 PM »

I think you will love it for the first month or two, so there isn't much to lose. I still am open to getting back into it, but I need to get through my single player backlog before I can.

Does anyone else find it difficult to think about starting or restarting MMOs because you struggle with the "why play when there really is no goal to the game" type conundrum? Thats what bothers me, and actually part of what made me quit.

Harpua, I had several high level warriors, and I think Toe does too, so let us know if we can help you.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 06:36:27 PM »

Thanks guys. I appreciate it all. In fact, funny as it sounds...WOW is supposed to "save" me money. The plan is maybe this will keep me busy and I won`t buy other crap every week or two :wink: . Plus I need a new addiction, I just "requit" smoking again, or well, will be in 19 cigarettes. I quit for a year, then had a few rough things to deal with. This time it`s final though :shock: . I`ll make it though! Thanks again guys. I`m sure I`ll have more questions down the road.

You`re right guys. I set everything to max and it looks great and runs great (as it should, I would think). I just got down screwing with settings etc. so I`m gonna grab a beer and play for a bit. Thanks again guys.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Thanks guys. I appreciate it all. In fact, funny as it sounds...WOW is supposed to "save" me money. The plan is maybe this will keep me busy and I won`t buy other crap every week or two :wink: . Plus I need a new addiction, I just "requit" smoking again, or well, will be in 19 cigarettes. I quit for a year, then had a few rough things to deal with. This time it`s final though :shock: . I`ll make it though! Thanks again guys. I`m sure I`ll have more questions down the road.

You`re right guys. I set everything to max and it looks great and runs great (as it should, I would think). I just got down screwing with settings etc. so I`m gonna grab a beer and play for a bit. Thanks again guys.

Personally, I think the bloom setting, or whatever is called in WoW, is pretty annoying and detracts more than it adds to the game. Try turning it off in your video settings. Full screen bloom effect I think its called.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 08:44:58 AM »

Here`s a really quit question for you guys. Does this game put some log folder by the icons? Shortly after I installed WoW, I noticed it. Any ideas?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 08:45:16 AM »

Here`s a really quick question for you guys. Does this game put some log folder by the icons? Shortly after I installed WoW, I noticed it. Any ideas?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 08:46:01 AM »

Lol, you gotta love that. Sorry guys, it`s obviously late, and I just quoted myself...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:52:17 PM »

Here`s a really quit question for you guys. Does this game put some log folder by the icons? Shortly after I installed WoW, I noticed it. Any ideas?

This was a side effect of the last patch (some bad last minute QC smile).  You can ignore it for now...if you delete it the folder will just come back anyway at this point.  Doesn't hurt anything to delete it though.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »

The easy fix for the Log folder issue is to set the "start in" directory in the shortcut for WoW.  If you right-click the icon and select properties, you'll see something like this for the target:

"C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe"

Underneath that is a line for the "start in" directory.  It's basically the same as the above line, without the WoW.exe part.  Here's mine:

"C:\Games\World of Warcraft"

I haven't seen a reappearance of the Log folder since.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 05:08:46 AM »

Thanks guys. BTW, when do they do work on the servers? I`m off to play, if they aren`t working on the servers. Otherwise BF2 for me :wink: . WoW is great so far though. An absolute blast. Thanks again.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »

Maintenance is on Tuesday, starting early in the morning and usually lasting until early afternoon.  Sometimes they extend maintenance, but it's a rarer occurence these days.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

Thaks again guys. This game just gets better and better. I have 3 characters and they are all damn fun. Great game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: