http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't decide- it's driving me nuts!  (Read 2143 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004, 11:00:04 AM »

Well if any WoW people can help me out that woudl be great.  Here's my story.

Did not play any of the beta stuff, and have had the game a week so I'm still pretty new.  My first character was  Night Elf Druid, but after hitting level 6, I abanonded it because I heard you only have 3 animals to morph into and they aren't super great.

Then I decided I wanted to be a Dwarf Warrior that specialized in mining and manufacturing stuff, but now I hear they stink in PvP really bad.

I wanted to be a Human Paladin, but apparently there's a trillion of them, and they walk really slow?

Then I wanted to be a Hunter, but thats also super popular so I've waited, though havign a pet sounds fun.  BUt reall y I'd want to be a melee Hunter which may not work.

So then I actually made an Undead Warlock, but then at Level 8 I find you only get 3 pets to summon?

Arrghh, I want to find my perfect class and put lots of time into it, but am having so much trouble.  Her'es what UI want, and maybe you can tell me what would be best.

* A class where I have a good chance of winning a 1 on 1 PvP encounter if I'm smart about it.

* A class that as I level up I get to have cooler looking outfits so I don't look like everyone else.

* A class where I can easily solo most of the time.

* A class that is actually fun to play, has variety, and attacking is not comprised of the same 5 clicks in a row.

*  A class that continues to be rewarding for the time I invest in it.

Thanks a lot everyone, and I hope someone can give me some great guidance.  smile
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:49:18 AM »

Warriors are apparently nurfed/broken, although from what I have seen they do thier fare share of dual wielding damage.  If paladins could dual wield, no one would ever be a warrior based on the fairly brokenly good abilities paladins get.

You have to decide how you want to play...

Do you want to sit back and attack/heal while someone else tanks (Priest/Hunter/Warlock) - Priest = healing and a lil fighting, can soslo ok around 14 when they get some nice spells, but as a priest you always have a group willing to take you in.  Hunters are great solo classes and ok in groups... your 2 for the price of one.  Warlock have cloth clothign only so they get ripped apart if someone attacks them, but they do a lot of damage and I like thier pets.

Do you want to be in the middle of the fray attacking away?  (Warrior/Paladin/Rogue/Shaman)
Warriros are good hand to hand, they deal some serious damage out, and they can wear the best armor in the game.  They just have had a few of thier best skills nerfed too much and arnt top end sickly good anymore.  Still you can wield a gun, shoot people, switch to your melee weapons and wreck them, they make great pullers and tanks.
Rogues do _the_ most hand ot hand damage.  But they wear leather armor and get wrecked trying to tank.  Still very nice class imho.  Paladins are the "it" class right now.  They fight great, make good tanks due to being able to wear the best armor.  And they can heal/bless/aura a party into being amazingly good.  Thats why there are so many.
Shamans are a lot like paladins imho.  They do very nice up close damage, but dont wear as good a armor as the paaldin. But they can brawl form a distance, they can heal and they drop totems on the ground that give the entire group bonuses.  They are as good as the paladin in diversity and usefulness.

Do you want to kill from a distance?
Mages are arguably one of the best pkill classes, and one of the better classes overall.  The problem is, a lot of thier spells are based on elements (Ok they all are) and you end up fighting things later on that are immune... so if you specialize in fire and have to go to the magma pits, life is going to suck the big donkey doo.  Still they deal _the_ most damage from a distance.

The Jack of all trades class is the Druid IMHO... they can heal, they can fight... but they dont really do anything great.  Thier forms are interesting and each one does something for the druid (DPS - cat, Health - bear, etc)  and druids can make or break a good team.  Still usually when you talk about group basics and what you need its: Tank/ranged/healer... Usually when all is said and done, druids just dont have the oomph of other classes...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 12:46:13 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"

* A class where I have a good chance of winning a 1 on 1 PvP encounter if I'm smart about it.

* A class that as I level up I get to have cooler looking outfits so I don't look like everyone else.

* A class that is actually fun to play, has variety, and attacking is not comprised of the same 5 clicks in a row.

As for your second point. Really, at this time anyway, there is not going to be a huge diversity of "outfits" you can wear no matter what class you pick. So you might as well assume you are going to look like other folks a lot of the time.

It "sounds" like a shadow-specced priest might be something for you to consider. They meet all your other criteria. Since you appear to consider looks a part if your decision, do you like the robes or armor look better?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 02:07:41 PM »

Wonderful responses!  Well, I was really taken by the Human guards armor that is worn in the Human intor area.  Beyond that nothing else has really caught my eye.  I wanted to be a Paladin for a long while, but then again I didn't want to get relegated to a healing role.  

* I'd actually like to stay away from range.  My CH character is a blaster and that's all he does, so I'm kind of brunt out on range attacks (plus WoW's spells and missle attacks look horrible compred to CoH - I know, I got terribly spoiled!)

* So I'll make a Hunter (probably Night Elf).
* I'll make either a Fighter or Paladin - but have to decide on Dwarf vs. Human (I'd pick human if they started out in the snowy area whch I think looks cool).
* I'll probably make a Tauren or Troll Shaman for fun.
* I'll probably recreate my Undead Warlock.  His spiky hair is driving me nuts, and I think I missed some good quests...
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 04:25:59 PM »

Wonderful responses!  Well, I was really taken by the Human guards armor that is worn in the Human intor area.  Beyond that nothing else has really caught my eye.  I wanted to be a Paladin for a long while, but then again I didn't want to get relegated to a healing role.  

* I'd actually like to stay away from range.  My CH character is a blaster and that's all he does, so I'm kind of brunt out on range attacks (plus WoW's spells and missle attacks look horrible compred to CoH - I know, I got terribly spoiled!)

* So I'll make a Hunter (probably Night Elf).
* I'll make either a Fighter or Paladin - but have to decide on Dwarf vs. Human (I'd pick human if they started out in the snowy area whch I think looks cool).
* I'll probably make a Tauren or Troll Shaman for fun.
* I'll probably recreate my Undead Warlock.  His spiky hair is driving me nuts, and I think I missed some good quests...

Just some more thoughts.

A hunter, while a PvE powerhouse, its not one of the best performers in 1vs1 PvP. You mentioned that you wanted to stay away from ranged. Well thats what a hunter is all about hehe.

Its super easy for humans to get to the dwarf areas. There is an underground tram that goes between the main cities of Ironforge and Stormwind. It is free to use also (unlike griffon rides). You probably want to get to 5th or 6th in the human lands, then head to Ironforge, then go south to Kharnos to start questing.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 05:23:34 PM »

I would steer clear of the Warrior class for awhile as they were modified heavily just prior to release and were left in an unbalanced state. This class will hopefully see alot of changes in the near future but that will make actually playing one somewhat fustrating.

You might also want to hold off on the Paladin for a bit, this was another class that was heavily modified days before release and IMHO some tweaking is going to be done and Blizzard tends to tweak with a sledgehammer even when you only needed a small screwdriver.

That being said, I think the rest of the classes should be ok. Excluding the Warrior at this time any class is "viable" in PvP if you know what you are doing, know how to play your own class and know the strengths and weakness of your opponent. Does this mean there is a class that can win every 1on1 PvP encounter? No, you will win some and loose some. If a Mage spots that Rogue first good chance the Rogue is dead, if the Rogue sees the mage first vice versa.

From reading through your post it seems you have not even broken the level 10 mark with any of your characters yet. Most MMORPG's you dont start to get a feel for your character until level 10 or so and by level 20 you should really know how the character works. One of the great things about WoW is getting a character to level 10 is a breeze and 20 is not much harder. I have taken characters from 1 to 20 in a weekend of casual play, I've actually done 2 characters to 20 in a single weekend but I put in some serious hours that time. My point is try and get a character to 20 or at least past 10 before abandoning it to get a better feel for playability.

The look of characters in WoW is pretty varied, not as varied as COH but then nothing before or since has been. Cloth looks different then Leather which looks different then Mail etc. During the first 10 or 20 levels most players are finding very similiar gear and so tend to look pretty similiar. Post 20 is when you start hitting the better dungeons and the drops start to get rarer which will start to bring some diversity to character looks. Give it a little time.

Classes:

Warlock: This is sort of your classic pet class. Warlocks get their first pet around level 4 or 5, the Imp. This is fine till you get to about level 8 then you may start to feel like "this guy sucks!" as the mobs start to hit harder and the Imp isnt dishing enough damage and can only take about 2 hits before it dies. Also you havent gained any of your cool utility spells yet. At level 10 the Warlock receives his quest for the next pet the Voidwalker.
Finishing this quest and gaining your Voidwalker completely changes the Warlock. At this point you have a true tanking pet, you have 3 nice DOT's, a little C.C. ability(fear) and Heal Stones. At level 11(gained a level doing the Voidwalker quest) my Warlock can easily solo 2 even conned mobs and finish the fight at 90% health or better with about 40% mana. At level 18 Warlocks get Soulstone in addition to Heal Stones. Soul Stones like heal stones can be traded to other players in your group and if the player dies they can use the stone to Resurrect themselves. Post 20 Warlocks(with the help of 2 other group mates) can summon group members to their location as well. Additional pets were also added to the warlock, now its Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, Felhunter, Infernal plus they get the ability later on to "Enslave Demons" they run into.

Hunter: This is another pet class but with a bit of a spin to it as you dont summon your pets but instead you tame them from beasts that inhabit the world. This is a pretty versatile class and a good solo class. I ran a hunter to about 15th level in beta and enjoyed it. Im not running one currently but only because Im already running two other characters but I definitely plan to do a Dwarven hunter at some point. My friend is running an Orc hunter as his alt and enjoys it immensely. You have a class with a pet that can tank, they have ranged attacks(with a decent weapon most mobs will be at half health by the time they reach you), can deal decent melee damage(hunters have dual wield AND 2handed weapons to choose from), and at level 40 gain the use of chain mail improving their ability to take damage. They also get an array of usefull and cool abilities such as run speed increase(30%) the only group run speed spell, traps, detection skills etc. A couple of downsides to the hunter is 1) they are not very group centric IMHO. Other then the group run speed they dont bring any specific to a group. Not to say they arent helpfull in the group since they can still deal damage they're just not heavily sought after like some classes but the fact that the hunter is so soloable sort of balances this out 2)there are a TON of hunters in game at the moment. Still from my own limited experience, my friends impressions and those of folks on the forums seems to be a well received fun class to play.

Will add more.....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 05:40:22 PM »

Arrghh, I want to find my perfect class and put lots of time into it, but am having so much trouble.  Her'es what UI want, and maybe you can tell me what would be best.

Well, as I post elsewhere, I love my Night Elf Hunter. The class is extremely solo friendly (you always have a Warrior/Rogue teammate, depending on what you have by your side), and like most classes, has a good chance of winning a PvP battle if you keep watch of your surroundings.

Attacking isn't just the same button presses, at least all the time. You have to carefully manage aggro, as if your pet gets in over its head, you want to do what you can to save it (as it's cheaper on your resources to both get hurt than to rez your pet).

As I said above, you're an extremely solo friendly class (hit 26 just yesterday doing nothing but that), but because of your strengths, you're wanted in groups if you choose to join one. It's entirely up to you.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »

Also remember that to look like the cool Stormwind guards and stuff, you have to wait until higher levels when you start to get shoulder armor, head gear and stuff.  I think you start getting shoulder armor around level 20 (all according to what level mobs you are fighting and the randomness of drops and such).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 07:14:25 PM »

Just do what I did, make a character of every stinking type found in the game.  That way, you can play all types and you'll get a good feel for what you really want to play as.

At that point, I'd recommend focusing on the character that you have the most fun playing, since the later levels seem to be a heck of a lot more fun than the first 10 or so.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 01:05:06 AM »

Later levels are more fun than the first 10 levels?  Wow, I really enjoy the first 10 levels hehe.  My issue is as I'm playing one character I'm thinking - hmmm this would be fun too!

And thanks everyone for taking the time to post here.  It's really nice of you smile

Ironically the main thing I wanted to try immidiately was a Figther or Paladin, but like you said, I know the Fighter is nerfed right now, and the Paladin and Shaman will probably get tweaked...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 05:45:33 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Also remember that to look like the cool Stormwind guards and stuff, you have to wait until higher levels when you start to get shoulder armor, head gear and stuff.  I think you start getting shoulder armor around level 20 (all according to what level mobs you are fighting and the randomness of drops and such).

My night elf hunter received his first shoulder armor last night from a drop in human territory.  

...now he looks like a linebacker for some fantasy football team.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 06:52:49 PM »

well, I have played most of the classes, and I to tell you the truth found most of them fun. I have been able to solo effectively with every class. It is not like the other MMORPG's where you need a warrior and priest to have success. Most combinations work well(as long as you have some healer-Druid,Shaman,Priest,Paladin)

But I'd say just pick something that fits your play style, don't read the blizzard.com forums(all of the people that don't like the game are there usually) Don't worry about what people say about gimp this or nerfed that or that you have to play a character a certain way.

But I agree the first 10 levels are not the most fun(although they are fun don't get me wrong), when you start doing instances and fighting difficult boss mobs with people from consolegold or other mature guilds, that is more fun I think.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: