http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:48:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much time do you solo vs. group in WoW?  (Read 3015 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 09:21:56 PM »

I'd say for me it's about 90% solo.  I enjoy grouping and have found some very helpful people to group with (usually guildmates but some others also).  But for me the game is mostly a solo affair.

I view it similarly to Morrowind which I liked a lot.  I enjoy travelling around and seeing the sights.  I enjoy doing quests.  It's fun to do crafting.  I could see playing this game solo for quite awhile and not easily getting bored.

What about you?  How much do you solo vs. group?  And why?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 09:46:08 PM »

Actually, I'd have to say about the same (say, 80%-90%).  Very little grouping, and even when I do group with others, it is typically for a very short period (one instance, a quest or two).  I have a guild, but I rarely group with them, as they average 8 levels above me.

The nice thing, though, is I'm interacting with other people all the time -- chatting about the fishing, quests, locations -- sometimes I show off something cool that just dropped, etc.  Teasing the people who stand on the front of the airships that they have their whole life to live, not to jump ... that's the sort of thing that I'm doing more than grouping.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 10:16:34 PM »

Well I have three characters.  I initially got the game to play with 2 friends.  We started up our characters in Northshire and they made it to Goldshire and there they sit.  It has just been impossible to get 3 of us together at once.

Since one of the guys is more available than the other we have a couple of Taurens we play together.

We each also have a solo character that is really just for that.  

For my solo character I group maybe 5% of the time and mainly for tough instances or the ones where you need to kill x of something and it makes more sense than competing with the mob.  

Overall I prefer playing with my friends.  We use voice conferencing so it is a certain amount of shooting the breeze while we play.  I don't mind grouping with other good people but I usually don't seek it out.  I come to this game from a CRPG background rather than MMORPG so that is how I play it.  I don't care about which char/race combo has the best stats but rather the way the quests trigger my OCD to try to seek out and finish every single one.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 10:42:23 PM »

I solo about 98% of the time, and when I group it's usually to help a lower level character in a tight spot.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 11:38:01 PM »

I solo maybe 70% of the time. I'm at a level where I can start to get some decent drops if I group. Right now Im level 23 in redridge. I've been soloing the gnolls to the north east and a lone Ogre elite. But if I group rolls by into stonekeep, and I try to tag along with them.
Sharpshooter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 11:38:51 PM »

Usually when I play, I'm grouped with a buddy that I first met in Ultima Online way back in 98.   The way I look at it, if I wanted to play solo, there are plenty of good CRPGs out there.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 12:42:08 AM »

Quote from: "Sharpshooter"
Usually when I play, I'm grouped with a buddy that I first met in Ultima Online way back in 98.   The way I look at it, if I wanted to play solo, there are plenty of good CRPGs out there.

But none of those CRPG's have a dynamic economy, or a world populated with living people.

I solo about 95%, but enjoy interacting with people, and grouping when the situation calls for it.

Ale
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »

I solo most of the time and group only when facing an ugly instance or the Elite quests.  My main character is a 36th level paladin and as long as I pay attention to what's around me I solo very well.  I have two RL friends that play the game and they are usually on at the same times I am.  Now that we're all around the same level we'll play together and do some of the harder quests.  Often times we'll come across someone trying to solo the same quest and invite them in.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 01:19:38 AM »

I also solo most of the time, about %80.  The only time I group is to complete a mission or help someone out.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 02:30:11 AM »

I can't seem to buy a group at level 13, even as a priest.
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 03:45:18 AM »

I've probably been about 98% solo as I near level 50....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 05:00:29 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
This will change as you get to the point where you can do instances...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 12:33:31 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

For me, it never really did.

I was in beta though and outleveled a lot of the server. Maybe that was the reason. But, even as a holy-specced priest with a lot of experiece being a healer (in other games), the groups just were not there.

Thats why I respecced to the shadow talents and just started soloing. I am glad I did. Someday I might respec back when the instance adventuring picks back up.

Compared to beta, its currently a ghost town. In beta, when in Ironforge, you would see groups constantly forming for all the major instances from Scarlet Monestary on up. I am just not seeing any action right now.
Semaj

View Profile
hrm
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 02:37:04 PM »

You must be on a quiet server....

I think Blizzard dropped the pooch ongrouping.. they made it so you have to for elite quetss, and they made it ebenficial on kill quetss, but they also made it so you dont really need to...and it might even be a hinderance for leveling time.

If your on a pvp server you almost have to group to avoid gankings... but on a pve, its so much easier to not spend an hour trying to get together a group for (insert quest here)

I do wholeheartedly believe a group of 2 can whip through levels like nobody;s buisiness if they knew where to go... IN about a week when I get this guy to 60, I want to test it out with someone....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 02:41:23 PM »

For me it's been about 70/30 solo vs group.

I've had my choice of groups basically at every instance.There's always alot of people hanging around each of them or using the general chat to put them together.Maybe it has to do with the servers I'm on,Hyjal(Alliance),Doomhammer(Horde),these server's have a high population most of the time.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 03:40:09 PM »

I solo about 90% of the time also.  I normally don't have the time to devote to instance runs, as those can take several hours at one sitting, and that's normally when I group.  However, I am finding that at 40+ I'm having to group more and more.  Nearly my entire quest log is filled with "Elite" quests.

Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 04:44:30 PM »

I solo most of the time with my priest, though the past couple of nights have myself and a few guildies at roughly the same level doing the same quests, so we just group up.  

For instance quests, we usually schedule a night for like leveled characters to group, which is always preferable to being in a pickup group.  We trust each other, and only roll on things we need.   I've been in groups where everyone just flat out rolls on every green/blue drop, and it's a pain seeing a potential cloth armor upgrade go to the warrior just so he can sell it on the Auction House.

Uh, but I digress...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 04:45:19 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

For me, it never really did.

I was in beta though and outleveled a lot of the server. Maybe that was the reason. But, even as a holy-specced priest with a lot of experiece being a healer (in other games), the groups just were not there.

Thats why I respecced to the shadow talents and just started soloing. I am glad I did. Someday I might respec back when the instance adventuring picks back up.

Compared to beta, its currently a ghost town. In beta, when in Ironforge, you would see groups constantly forming for all the major instances from Scarlet Monestary on up. I am just not seeing any action right now.

Strange.  On my server (Shattered Hand) I see at least one spam for group members for both Scarlet Monestary and Gnomegeran every time I'm in there.  And they always specify they need a healer.   :wink:

Are you guilded, Toe?  My guild on Shattered Hand runs all the major instances from Scarlet Monestary up at least once a night.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 05:55:29 PM »

Strange.  On my server (Shattered Hand) I see at least one spam for group members for both Scarlet Monestary and Gnomegeran every time I'm in there.  And they always specify they need a healer.   :wink:

Are you guilded, Toe?  My guild on Shattered Hand runs all the major instances from Scarlet Monestary up at least once a night.

Yeah, but everyone in my guild is like 20-25th level, hehe. We are also in an alliance with 2 other roleplaying guilds and only a few are close to my level. I guess i could slow down some (bring up some alts) but its hard to do, heh.

I am on a roleplaying server (Cenarion Cirlce) that was one of the last ones to be put up, so maybe the crowd that migrated there is the reason everyone seems to be going pretty slow (compared to folks like me).

I am sure it will get better over time (cause it can't get much worse smile)

I have really grown to hate Gnomeregan. Its probably my least favorite instance (well, except how the gnomes in the mechanical spider-things get ejected out when you kill them, hehe). I won't be going back there unless guildmates absolutely must have a healer.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 06:05:19 PM »

I play almost exclusively with a good friend of mine so I solo very little.  In truth I don’t find soloing nearly as much fun as being in a group but then again I’ve never had to try and group with people that I don’t know.

Besides, grouping with strangers you would miss out on great moments like this!

She’s the cat; I’m lunch.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 06:59:02 PM »

I'm probably 70/30 too. I group whenever I can hook up with my guild members since I just think its more fun even thought you can be pretty efficient on your own. Also have done a number of quick groupings too do a specific quest or two when there are others in the area doing the same.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 02:31:49 AM »

Probably 90 solo / 10 group.  That may change if I can get my wife playing and she actually likes it.  Then it will probably be 50/50.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2004, 08:41:55 AM »

It can be tough to find a group outside your guild.  Sometimes when you do find a group you wish you hadn't.  I suspect the average age of WoW players to be significantly lower than other mmorpgs to date.

p.s.  IIRC at 14 your priest gets a PBAOE fear spell that helps with soloing.  At 19 I was amazed at how well my priest was soloing when I could not find a group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: