http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How many of you play cross-gender characters?  (Voting closed: December 16, 2004, 12:09:21 PM)
I am male and play female characters. - 23 (35.4%)
I am female and lay male characters. - 1 (1.5%)
I only play my own gender. - 28 (43.1%)
I have a cross-gender character, but just for a fun alternate. - 13 (20%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of you play opposite gender characters in MMORGS?  (Read 5077 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:09:21 PM »

I'm thinking about making a female Night Elf in WoW, but am feeling really weird about it.  My reason for this is the female Night Elves are really quite stunningly beautiful - and I think the male Night Elves have little means to differentiate themselves from the other male Night Elves.

So what do you think?  And do any of you cross-gender your playing chaarcters?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »

Hehe OOPS!!!!  BIG typo in the second option...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 12:41:25 PM »

I knew I'd be staring at my character's rear for the online equivalent of days and days and days.  I went for the rear that was most interesting to me to look at = Night Elf female.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:50:45 PM »

I have two characters.  One female (a NE Priest, what else), and a male hunter (what else again).   :wink:

I like them both about equal from a playing standpoint, but the Priest is much more challenging, so for now is getting more play time.

And for me, I pick the gender based on the spell animations.  I think the female elf and female human have the best hand and arm animations, so if I am going spellcaster, that's what I would lean toward.  Weird but true.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 12:55:17 PM »

What about for a Hunter?  I'm making a Night Elf (or maybe even Human) Hunter.  What gender would you suggest then?

And I totally agree about the animations.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 01:02:25 PM »

Alliance options for Hunter are Elf and Dwarf only.

And again... if you go Elf, the bow shooting animations are different.  The female shoots the bow traditional style.  Verticle bow, pull and loose arrow.  The male Elf shoots more horizontal.  It is different, and I liked it better, therefore went with the male.

Also, looking at some higher level Hunters in game, the males get pretty awesome looking with all that armor on.  I liked that.  I haven't seen nearly as many high level female hunters.

The Dwarf male uses a gun, so his animation is standard.  I don't think I have EVER seen a femal Dwarf Hunter in game.  Just now thought of that.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »

Well thanks!  You helped me a ton!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 01:48:23 PM »

Out of my 6 characters 2 are female..a human mage and a elf hunter..and she uses a gun.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 04:12:30 PM »

If I'm going to have to watch someone's butt for a couple hundred hours, I want it to be a cute chick!!  :wink:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 04:16:10 PM »

I am female and lay male characters.

Typo or Freudian slip?  You be the judge. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 04:23:37 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

I am female and lay male characters.

Typo or Freudian slip?  You be the judge. smile

s

Hehe.  Notice there's no votes for that yet.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »

My only female character is an undead mage, and she is not exactly attractive.  Although her bones are showing, I did notice that her breasts are perfect (ha!) -- she has a bit of a hunch, though.

I used to have a female Tauren druid, but the voice for the female Tauren is incredibly annoying.  Certainly the worst in-game voice by far, so even though I was enjoying playing as a druid, she had to go.

{edited to add -- You know, in single-player games I almost always play using a female character, but in the Massively Multiplayer world it just felt, I don't know, wrong sort of.  I know it makes no sense, but it feels like I'm misrepresenting myself in multiplayer, and in singleplayer I pick a female for the same reason as everyone else -- more fun to look at.  Typically I'll name my female characters after my wife as well, and I can't tell whether she is annoyed with that or pleased.}
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 05:02:17 PM »

I always play as my gender.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »

I'll play whichever avater I prefer the look of. If there are no female faces that I like, I'll go male; if I don't like the running animation for the male, I'll go female, etc.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 06:40:48 PM »

Female characters also tend to get free gifts of items and money from others even without asking.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zoyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 06:56:18 PM »

For whatever reason, female characters do get treated differently. I think people know that many of them are played by dudes, but it doesn't seem to matter. I think the way men react to female characters is dependent on how attractive the character models are.  I've known a few women that played male characters because they were tired of the "special attention" they would get.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »

I made a female Infiltrator in Dark Age of Camelot to try and get my wife to play with me.  She quit very fast so I turned the character into a crafter.  So for that reason I guess I have one cross-gender character but I haven't ever made a female character that I actually planned on playing when I created her.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

I have characters of both. I have a character concept in mind when I make a character and that includes whether they're male or female. I have a male dwarf, a male undead, a male tauren, 2 female humans and a female night elf. Yes, I go for the cute ass too slywink

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 09:06:41 PM »

I pretty much always create female characters.   I go for the view.   And my wife thought it was hysterical that for the past month, the character screen had everyone shown in their underwear.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 11:21:16 PM »

I normally play same gender characters.  However, I played a runemaster female to high level in Dark Ages of Camelot, to see if I could understand why so many males play female characters.  I ended up ditching her close to 50 and re-rolling a same gender character as it was just too akward for me to play as a female.  Not to mention I got sick of being flirted with by male characters.  It became extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable in the end.    Now I play male characters only.  I must admit, I don't like it when male characters play females. Until I have proof otherwise, I assume every female character I see is really a male, which is messed up.  It seems somewhat deceptive to me. To each their own, and what counts is having fun, so if that floats your boat, go for it.  It just so happens to sink mine  slywink

Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 01:46:53 AM »

I usualy play male characters.  If I playa  female, I make sure everyoen withing 2 billion miles know its me in a female character.  Mainly because I;ve determined gamers and lonely people for the most part (No offence, you know damn well what I mean)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 03:31:52 AM »

I stick to my own gender.

EDIT:  Which is male.

EDIT2:  At least, it was last time I checked.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 02:29:33 PM »

I usually play female simply because it's so much nicer to stare at for hours and hours and hours.  I may be in the minority but I've never been hit on...I think most people realize that more men play women than women play women.  I know my wife normally plays male characters so it seems to go both ways.

I did create a male orc though...when the male and female models are so damn ugly it really doesn't matter Tongue
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2004, 05:14:32 PM »

I can't roleplay a female character so I don't play one.  Maybe if I were on a griefing PvP server I might.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »

Wow.  I've never had anyone give my female character any items, etc because my character is female.  That's weird.  No one's flirted with me either.  Maybe I need to "work it" more?  biggrin
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »

Personally, and I can't speak for other guys here, I'd rather look at a female then a male, even if it is a low polygon version.  But for those of you that love watching male butt run around, stay with your gender  biggrin .

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Personally, and I can't speak for other guys here, I'd rather look at a female then a male, even if it is a low polygon version.  But for those of you that love watching male butt run around, stay with your gender  biggrin .

I might get a boob job so looking in the mirror is more fun too!

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 05:33:50 PM »

I might get a boob job so looking in the mirror is more fun too!

biggrin   I don't look in the mirror nearly as much as WoW though!  (Besides, I hear boob jobs are really, really painful!)

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 09:25:41 PM »

I don't think it matters at all on the regular servers.  Most people don't roleplay their gender/character anyway.  But then if you're looking for romance by flirting up female avatars on a RP server (heck any server), you've opened that can of worms yourself.  I've known several women that tried to play female characters in other mmorpgs, but were so tired of trying to convince other players they were really women that they happily only play male characters now.  So that badass orc warrior who you've been fighting with the last couple of weeks may actually be a mother of 2!:P
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 09:37:12 PM »

Amazing.  41 votes and still no women who lay men.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 10:40:40 PM »

Lots of celibacy going on it seems.
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2004, 06:36:26 PM »

So, what's the etiquette when you're playing a cross-gender character and the flirting becomes a bit too much to take?  Within 5 minutes of creating my first City of Heroes character, I had my very first cyberstalker, some pathetic level 6 character who wordlessly followed me all over the city and jumped in to "protect" me in the middle of every battle.  He persisted even after I grumbled, "Very impressive, but you know, I'm really a guy."

Then there was a member of a team I was on who kept the suggestive comments coming, and I was starting to find it hard to keep in a good-natured character without jumping up and down screaming, "I'm a guy! I'm a guy!"  How do you let them down easy when they haven't figured out that the character you're playing is wearing practically nothing because you LIKE girls?
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2004, 09:10:33 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"

Meaning this vot emight be accurate :lol:

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2004, 09:00:34 PM »

I've not run into any cyber stalkers when playing a female character online. I did run into one guy in AO's beta playing a chick that asked me if I thought his butt was too big. I had a female orc rogue that I played for a bit in the WoW beta but maybe they're just butt ugly so I never got any admirers.  :lol:

Currently I have a NE male hunter and a female human rogue. I don't see the big deal. Its a game, a role playing game even. Expand your imagination a bit and play something different. That and staring at Amazon hiney for hours can be a plus.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2004, 12:47:58 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
Quote from: "jpinard"

Meaning this vot emight be accurate :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »

Quote from: "Randomayhem"
So, what's the etiquette when you're playing a cross-gender character and the flirting becomes a bit too much to take?  Within 5 minutes of creating my first City of Heroes character, I had my very first cyberstalker, some pathetic level 6 character who wordlessly followed me all over the city and jumped in to "protect" me in the middle of every battle.  He persisted even after I grumbled, "Very impressive, but you know, I'm really a guy."

In City of Heroes, I always claimed that I was a non-human magical construct and therefore uninterested in their advances.  That worked surprisingly well in shutting people up.
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2004, 06:40:09 PM »

I play female characters sometimes, mainly because I like naming them after each of my daughters.  (Ages 8,6, and 6)  I did this for all of the three female characters you could play in Diablo 2 and enjoyed it.  I really never cared if people thought if I was a female or not, since I wasn't playing the game for that reason.  When my girls found out about this they of course asked me which character was "the best", which was the Amazon I named after my youngest twin.  Naturally she had to gloat about it in front of other two.  It was cute.  smile

I tried this on WoW just once and got hit on my first day of playing.   Some guy about got himself killed so I helped him out.  Next thing I know he's sending me private tells asking if I would be his in-game wife and maybe get to know each other better.  I told him I was a guy and he promptly disappeared from the zone...after attempting to laugh it off of course.  The whole thing was pretty damn funny.  smile

Glycerine
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 12:02:49 AM »

1) Generally female characters are saddled with the "finesse" fighting style, which I often prefer over brute strength. (Mithra, for instance)

2) If I'm going to sink 5-20 hours per week looking at a digital butt, it ain't gonna be a Tauren male (or Galka) in a thong.

3) I dig chicks. I put posters up of well-done artwork and enjoy the female form. having a female character in a game isn't a representation of me to the rest of the world, it's a preference for my side of the screen. I don't give a flying rats ass what other people think. biggrin

4) Mithra NIN/THF named Stabbetty are cool. ninja In WoW, I shall too be named that and play a rogue... I'm hoping to find some old FFXI buddies that way.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: