http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:55:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many copies has WoW sold so far?  (Read 2189 times)
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2004, 11:59:18 PM »

I'm just curious and I have no idea where to look.

Who reads these anyway?
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 04:24:29 AM »

according to this press release, 240,000 copies were sold on the day of release.  i'm sure a few more copies have been purchased since then but haven't seen any figures beyond those presented on 1 december.
Zoyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 09:13:58 PM »

Last I heard it was the top selling PC game (http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=27972), but I don't know how many units they've sold. They may not have produced enough copies to meet demand in the first run, I've heard in many areas there are no copies of the game to be had.
Biyobi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 10:48:23 PM »

Quote from: "Zoyd"
They may not have produced enough copies to meet demand in the first run, I've heard in many areas there are no copies of the game to be had.

I can attest to that.  A friend and I went shopping Saturday to get it for a third friend.  We had to hit three different stores before we found a copy (of which they had two).  Some of the small stores in the area haven't gotten in any copies at all.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 10:48:47 PM »

The reason there aren't any more copies being shipped to stores is artificial. Blizzard had no idea that so many copies would sell so quickly, so they aren't letting more copies into the market until they get their server infra-structure up to support them.

It's unbelievable how well this game has sold. Every store from Palo Alto to San Francisco is sold out.

A coworker actually had a brilliant idea:

He went to about 10 different stores, none of them had WoW. He kept trying over the next four days, still no store had it.

Then, it dawned on him... Mac Users... Mac Users don't play games... and World of Warcraft ships with both versions on the same disc...

So, he went to the Apple store in downtown Palo Alto, and lo-and-behold they had 2 copies. The only two copies they got in.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:51:37 AM »

EBgames.com currently claims that they will ship it to you within 24 hours, and I have no reason to doubt them.  It is probably true... for now...

Gamestop.com says it's on back order, but you can also enter your zip code and check for in-store availability on their site.  Some stores do have copies (more than last week, in fact, there are a few more copies out there now)

The Apple store thing IS brilliant though, hats off to your coworker smile
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 01:11:38 AM »

The funny thing is-

The main thing that made him think of the apple store was that movie from last year that was a fake "Think Different" ad featuring a "Mac Gamer".

The one that went "There are lots of great games on the mac... Like Warcraft III.... ummm... that puzzle game... I finished it a few times already but it's still fun... ummmm.... photoshop".

My coworker was like "Warcraft III... that's right!" and ran down to the Apple store.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 06:54:19 PM »

Weird thing is I was in BestBuy last Friday and they must have had 100 copies on the shelf - in the normal shelving area AND in a standalone 4-sided display thingy in the middle of an open area.... I was thinking "so I guess the shortage is over now".

Guess it's regional.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 09:14:36 PM »

Yeah...they are everywhere here in NC in the Charlotte area.  I had no trouble picking it up at CompUSA when it was on sale for $39.  That was last week though and since there are more low and medium population servers than high now I would think Blizzard would be pumping them out everywhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: