http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:53:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How I made 300 gold in WoW at level 36  (Read 5291 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:51:53 PM »

How you might ask?  I found one of these: http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=8498 in the Swamp of Sorrows.

Yep I found the fabled Tiny Emerald Whelpling.  At first I had no idea what it was and I almost used it thinking my hunter would now have two attack pets.  Fortunately I read up on it and quickly realized two things: I didn't want it and it could sell for a lot.  But how much?

I ran a scan through Auctioneer and it came up empty.  Apparently none have been sold in awhile.  I checked the link above and found the median price was 160 gold so I put that as my minimum bid and just for giggles put a buyout of 300 gold.  The first night I offered it there was no bids.  So I did offered it again last night and, sometime while I slept, someone actually purchased it at my buyout price of 300 gold.  Now I'm wondering just how much this tool would have paid for this.  I think I might have sold it for too little!

Holy crap.  Some level 60 I presume with too much money and not enough silly status symbols in the game.  Anyway I guess I can buy my mount in 4 levels now.

It will sure make it hard to go back to selling stacks of light leather for 20 silver.

Edit: I changed the title.  I made 300g not 300,000g. I'm an idiot.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »

300,000 gold you say?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:35:03 PM »

Crap and I just edited the title too!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »

I've gone from 10 gold to nearly 50 by the time I'm level 12 by heavy use of Auctioneer. biggrin
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 02:41:27 PM »

Just make sure your wife doesn't find out, otherwise she might want a cut. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:59:14 PM »

I found the idiot's way to make 90 gold.  I was selling stacks of herbs and accidently put up a stack for 90g instead of 90s.  I was unaware of the mistake until the next day when I hit the mailbox.   I have no idea if someone with a load of gold thought it would me funny to buy it or if they made the same mistake I did in reverse.  Either way it was a nice surprise.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »

when the recipe for deviate fish, the one that turns you into a pirate or ninja was still going for 40g+.  I accidentally put one in the auction house for 40s...frown
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 03:34:56 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Just make sure your wife doesn't find out, otherwise she might want a cut. slywink

Yeah she's already starting on me.  "You can't buy a mount yet so why don't you send a little love my way..."

Thing is, other than buying all the bank slots and paying for all my training for me and my cat I'm not sure what I'll spend it on right now.  I'm pretty good with armor and my gun.  Maybe I'll have to put my plans for world domination into motion...   :twisted:
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »

I found one of those too, however it only sold for 95g on my relatively young server.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »

i can't believe someone actually paid 300g for the whelpling.  i've actually managed to get an emerald one and a crimson one (from the wetlands) to drop.  and, my gf and her roommate also each got  an emerald and a dark (from duskwallow marsh) to drop.  we've either been extremely lucky or the drop rates must be slightly higher on our server, thunderlord.  

anyways, glad to hear that you got such a nice price for your whelpling!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »

Here's how I make money:

Lionheart Helms.

1.)

-Buy Arcane Crystals to make Arcanite Bars (or buy Arcanite Bars if the price is right).  You need 12 bars.  At the 'normal' price of 25g/bar, that's ~300g.

-Farm 40 Wicked Claws.  Easy Cheesy from harpies in Feralas, or Yetis, or anywhere else you want to farm.

-Get 80 Thorium Bars.  You can farm them or buy from the AH.  Before the AQ gouging, these were 5g/stack, so 20g for all you need.  Nowadays they're probably more expensive, unfortunately.

-Buy 10 Blue Sapphires (~10-15g) and 4 Azerothian Diamonds (~10g).

Grand total for mats if you bought it all save for the claws:

345g

2.)  Next, find a person on your server who can craft a Lionheart Helm.  Ask for a combine.  If they're in a good mood, it's cheap or free.  Otherwise, it's around 100g for a combine.

Grand total to get a Lionheart Helm in your grubby hands:

~445g

3.)  Put the LH Hlem on the AH for 850g buyout.  Very Long auction time.  Chances are it'll sell.  If not, try again when it's returned.

After the AH cut, you get ~810g.

Total profit:  ~365g.
Effort required:  Next to none.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

I never used Auctioneer (what is that?) or anything else like it.  When I played WoW I just used my own observational skills and made sure to browse the AH for blues and higher as well as key crafting mats and recipes twice each session: once on login and once on logout.  I made tons of money buying low and selling high (and I wasn't even the highest seller; I just sold at or slightly lower than the average market value).

I also kept everything of any use to anyone when I was out hunting, and when I went to logout, I'd plunk everything that wasn't pure vendor trash onto the AH.  The little things were basically to cover the loss from AH deposits on auctions that didn't sell.  I ran across some real steals from time to time, even some that were useful to me so I kept them for myself.

My favorite steal was a pair of Deadmist Wraps that were on the block for 5g.  Yes, that's 5G.  I sold them for 90 (right at the market value on my server at the time).  Not bad to get an 1800% return on your investment, eh?  slywink

After a while, I was playing the auction house more than I was adventuring because of time restrictions, and eventually I just couldn't justify the subscription due to time constraints.  If I had the time and wasn't so busy with everything else, I'd still be playing the game.  I still love it.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 01:15:29 AM »

Reminds me of when I accidently put something up for 30g instead of 30s. Someone, probably one of those rich lvl 60 jokesters, still bought it. Loved that!  Put me a good deal closer to my mount.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »

sounds more like a mistake than a joke.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »

Either way, I'm not complaining.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 07:12:58 PM »

It's easy to make money... I think the only time I was having difficulties was when I was leveling enchanter and tailor as I leveled my priest.  Even then, I got a decent purple drop (Kang) as I was grinding and gold was no longer a problem...

you can say I got lucky or whatever, but you run enough instances and you get decent gear from them, you dont need to spend a crapload at the auctioneer.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »

Once you're properly geared and level 60, you can make lots of money by running Stratholme's Living side and farming Righteous Orbs in a 5-man group.  Ideally, the other four players are guildies or friends, and you all split the gold from the orb sales evenly, but just PUGing it works too.

Righteous Orbs sell for ~85g average across all servers, but it's very likely that you'll get an orb during a 'dry' time for their sale and can gouge to your heart's content (150g+).  These are the crucial material for Crusader enchants, after all -- characters after a Crusader enchant are probably pretty freakin' rich already.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

The righteous org is actually a component used in a LOT of good stuff.  Very nice source of income.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 11:55:22 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
The righteous org is actually a component used in a LOT of good stuff.  Very nice source of income.
Yes, but no one in their right mind would ever forge any of the Argent Dawn crap.  Talk about a waste of Arcanite.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »

easiest way to make cash I found is selling herbs.  Just go to North Azshara just keep picking east ot west to east etc etc.  
 Mobs are far enough where there isnt aggro problems, its all high grade herbs and it has a fast respawn rate.  

I made 30 to 50 gold an HOUR there for months and months. People always wondered why I always had cash, that was the answer.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 12:14:47 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Yes, but no one in their right mind would ever forge any of the Argent Dawn crap.  Talk about a waste of Arcanite.

Well, Arcanite Champions are pretty popular, and I always hear people looking for the new +Healing enchant.

Almost makes me want to get back on my enchanter.  Almost, but not quite.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 03:09:09 AM »

I just made 250g over the weekend selling a Transmute Essence of Undeath to Essense of Water recipie!! I'd just hit 50 an went into the WPL and it dropped on about the 5th mob I killed... Now I'm more than half way to my epic mount WHEEEE....
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 06:13:09 AM »

wow, that is f'n impressive my friend that plays this game religiously always brags when he comes over, yea I made 60 gold on selling something or another, i never really listen.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »

Probaby my best steal was a Greater Fire Protection potion recipe. Someone had it up for 2 gold start bid, 4 gold buyout. A few days before that I was in a bidding war with someone over another one and we had it up to 95 gold before I had to go to bed (so I lost the auction).

A week or so ago I saw a Hand of Edward the Odd  (rare epic mace) on the goblin auction house for 1300 gold buyout. I pooled all my money together from my characters and barley had enough to get it. Sold it for 2000 the next day.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
A week or so ago I saw a Hand of Edward the Odd  (rare epic mace) on the goblin auction house for 1300 gold buyout. I pooled all my money together from my characters and barley had enough to get it. Sold it for 2000 the next day.

Nice! And here I was so happy a nabbed a couple of copies of plans to make mithril spurs for a couple gold, LOL.

I do so enjoy buying up other people's auctions and reselling for more money.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 04:09:45 PM »

That tiny emerald whelpling was always like the holy grail of lowish level item farming-everybody wanted one because the demand has been so high for so long. Also, stop talking about shit that makes me want to play again. I said no more!!
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 08:32:43 PM »

I'm at around 500 gold now, and my main on Detheroc is only 33.

I found a few blues which sold for 75 each.  My policy with blues is to set some really high price; if it doesnt sell for a while, you can always lower your price.  Amazingly, the blues never had to be relisted.  I'm actually wondering if I should set a buyout price, or just let people bid it up.  Sometimes I think the buyout is actually why it sells, but that could just be me projecting my own preferences.

Other than that, I've just had a pretty constant, steady flow of profitable auctions.  50sp profit here, 1-2g there, another 5g here and there.  It all adds up after a while.

The funny thing is, I'm playing a Paladin, so I don't even have to worry about mount/epic mount.  I also don't worry about gear, since I always try getting bind on equip blues (I created a BoP spreadsheet, I just work from that.  It only has weapons for now, however- armor is going to be a huge undertaking).
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

Well your on your way to being a top player, no problem.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »

I owe it all to not doing trade skills.  Gathering skills 4 life, yo.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 02:28:14 AM »

I owe it all to not doing trade skills.  Gathering skills 4 life, yo.

Probably not possible now, but when my server started I was able to make a killing on potions like Major Healing potions.

My warrior can make a decent return making arcanite reapers. They still sell reasonably well.

But, in general, yeah, regular trade skills to not rake in the cash like the gathering skills.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 06:08:05 PM »

i've just recently discovered the joys of Shadow Fang Keep.  apparently, the mobs are at just the right level such that they drop items in the 16-19 level range.  in other words, perfect for folks who want to twink their characters for the 10-19 level battlegrounds.  in three days, i've made over three hundred gold selling various greens and blues.  the real money makers for me were from these drops (sold for 100g each): Assassin's Blade and Shadowfang.

this experience has gotten me to thinking that maybe i should be running the Stormwind Stockades or Razorfen Kraul instances to see what they yield.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 06:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "none"
i've just recently discovered the joys of Shadow Fang Keep.  apparently, the mobs are at just the right level such that they drop items in the 16-19 level range.  in other words, perfect for folks who want to twink their characters for the 10-19 level battlegrounds.  in three days, i've made over three hundred gold selling various greens and blues.  the real money makers for me were from these drops (sold for 100g each): Assassin's Blade and Shadowfang.

this experience has gotten me to thinking that maybe i should be running the Stormwind Stockades or Razorfen Kraul instances to see what they yield.

Man I don't remember EVER getting anything good in the Stockades. I mean, not once.
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »

Stockades have a REALLY low drop rate, IMO.  Even the BoP stuff you would expect to get, from what I saw with my recent character, was extremely scarce.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »

I've got about 100g at level 35, with several blue items sitting in the bank to auction, and a few others that I am hoarding foor my own use in the next 5-10 levels.

Sold a set of Frostguard plans for 50g last night, which made me pretty happy. I can't believe the two items listed above sold for 100g, but then I'm playing on a new server.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2006, 06:06:31 PM »

What server?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »

Some of those level 19 weapons have been going for over 500g on some servers. The lure of twinkage is strong, it seems.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 01:38:50 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
What server?

I'm on Kul Tiras.
Snagged a great buy a while ago. A set of Thorium shield spike plans for 2g.

unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 08:26:31 AM »

I think I'm around 750 or 850.  It's actually become so easy to make money, I dont even look at my total anymore.  My main has about 150g on him, and my mule... well, I list my auctions and don't do much else.  I don't even look at his total anymore, I just smile at the steady flow of profitable sales.  I have so much fun now having renounced doing trade skills and can skip struggling for gold.

That's one thing I dislike about the AH.  At around lvl 30, selling some of the gear kind of becomes prohibitively expensive in terms of the deposit.  There were a few items I just vendored, because it cost so much to list them that I'd be losing money if it didnt sell.  

Selling low level gear is really the path to uber wealth, the profit margin is just so huge.  Which works for  me, since I keep starting new characters.  I have one 60, and a string of characters who are at most in the high 30s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: