http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:28:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me become 1337 at COD4 multi  (Read 17129 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 25, 2008, 12:02:46 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 25, 2008, 06:49:46 AM

Yeah Moriarty was bummed that she didn't do better.  Hopefully next time things will go a bit better and she can at least hit 4 so she can do the custom classes.
It was a very, very bad night for pretty much everyone except Gamadict.

In one particularly bad round on Wet Works, we lost with a score of about 750-200 and everyone had around 10 deaths except yours truly with 22.  I don't even think I hit double digits on kills that game.

Indeed it was a bad killing night, but great socializing night with everyone!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »

The last time I logged on I realized I was the only player in the single digits in terms of rank (level 7). Everyone else was in the 30s-50s so it's little wonder I got pwned every 30 seconds or so.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2008, 11:04:17 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 25, 2008, 08:31:16 PM

The last time I logged on I realized I was the only player in the single digits in terms of rank (level 7). Everyone else was in the 30s-50s so it's little wonder I got pwned every 30 seconds or so.

I'm back in the low's with ya!

I had a particularly nasty match this morning on sabotage.
These fools set up around our camp, and kept on killing.
Didn't even bother to go grab the bomb.
At about 10 - 35, I shut down my box...

KD ratio in the gutter again.

Gonna eat your face
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on April 25, 2008, 11:04:17 PM

KD ratio in the gutter again.

Thanks a lot. You're at 1.69 and I'm at 1.67...  crybaby

Though your .02 drop is significant.

I'm sort of goofing off on this prestige run which is why I've been stuck at 1.67 so long... using lots of different weapons. I think for the next one I'll go back to near exclusivity with the M16...
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2008, 12:56:39 AM »

I'm thinking of doing something like that myself.

Just stick with the guns I like using this final time around.

I kind of gave up on the headshots for a day and went all balls out with the G36c.
Think that gun is to me what the M16 is to you.

Gonna eat your face
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »

This weekend's lessons:

1. I am very glad to be done with the Skorpion.
2. I wish I had known the G36c shot really well from the hip when I started using it, not after quite a few rounds struggling with it and just a few kills short of the red dot.
3. The P90 is AWESOME.
4. I used Juggernaut when I first started playing but have replaced it with other perks along the way (most often Stopping Power or Sleight of Hand). I heard other people complaining about people using it, but I didn't have a problem with it.  Now I can kind of see their point.  Seeing someone you've unloaded on get away (or kill you) is pretty frustrating.  However, it is very satisfying to take a SAW to them, especially if their tag is HaloGamer(something), like the guy I took quite a bit of revenge on this afternoon.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 27, 2008, 11:30:54 PM

4. I used Juggernaut when I first started playing but have replaced it with other perks along the way (most often Stopping Power or Sleight of Hand). I heard other people complaining about people using it, but I didn't have a problem with it.  Now I can kind of see their point.  Seeing someone you've unloaded on get away (or kill you) is pretty frustrating.  However, it is very satisfying to take a SAW to them, especially if their tag is HaloGamer(something), like the guy I took quite a bit of revenge on this afternoon.

One should not be able to combine juggenaut with last stand. It's nonsense.

I played for about an hour last night and Mikagami and I seem to be falling into the same category: we're just losing our skills.

I'm hoping I can attribute my decline to futzing around with a lot of different weapons this prestige run, but man I'm having so many negative matches that it makes my head hurt.

I belive I finally found my kit on Chinatown though: silenced MP5, 3 grenades, UAV jammer and...deep impact (?).  I had just my second really good match on that map.

Broadcast continues to astound me- though I'm starting to learn it.  I've tried the shotgun, but if you spawn outside you're toast.  I'm thinking the G36 or again the Mp5...dunno.

In either case, I switched back to my M16 kit for a few rounds and my numbers improved.

When I finish this prestige class (I'm at 52), I think I'm back on M16 for the whole next one to see if I can get my stats back up as I've dropped about 1% of accuracy (go M60!) and have been unable to get out of the 1.67 K/D.
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »

I continue to struggle.  But using some of your tips, I finally managed to have a match where I got more kills than deaths.  Barely (7 kills, 2 assists, 6 deaths).  I was using the AK47 with the red-dot scope.

Any tips for the Creek map?  I can only scrape out a kill or two on that map (with double-digit deaths every time  retard). 

Anyway, I'm having fun.  And I appreciate the insights.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:29:18 PM by Frogstar » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on April 28, 2008, 01:09:24 PM

I continue to struggle.  But using some or your tips, I finally managed to have a match where I got more kills than deaths.  Barely (7 kills, 2 assists, 6 deaths).  I was using the AK47 with the red-dot scope.

Any tips for the Creek map?  I can only scrape out a kill or two on that map (with double-digit deaths every time  retard). 

If you are proficient at the M16 then you should be able to hold your own with the snipers on Creek.

What I typically do is work my way around to the right (if I'm starting near the outhouse side) and come up on the flank. For whatever reason, I can almost always make it over there and cause some trouble before they light me up.

If I spawn on the broken down house side, I usually walk over the fallen limbs (near the entrance to the cave) and work my way around to the left.

But the overall strategy on creek is not largely different than any other map: move quickly from cover to cover.

BTW- when are you online? We should hook up. Your XBL tag, Frogstar?
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »

ATB -- I play on the PS3.  That's why I've never bumped into most of you guys. 

My PSN name is grueslayer.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

I continue to struggle.  But using some or your tips, I finally managed to have a match where I got more kills than deaths.  Barely (7 kills, 2 assists, 6 deaths).  I was using the AK47 with the red-dot scope.

At the start of the map, run to the cave and kill them.  Then stay in the cave killing them.  If they are in the cave, don't go there.   If they are not in the cave, go there and kill them when they try to go in the cave.  Once you've mastered the cave, think about killing people outside of the cave. smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on April 28, 2008, 01:24:22 PM

ATB -- I play on the PS3.  That's why I've never bumped into most of you guys. 

My PSN name is grueslayer.

crybaby
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 28, 2008, 01:29:41 PM

At the start of the map, run to the cave and kill them.  Then stay in the cave killing them.  If they are in the cave, don't go there.   If they are not in the cave, go there and kill them when they try to go in the cave.  Once you've mastered the cave, think about killing people outside of the cave. smile

Yup, this is pretty much my MO on Creek.  I've had a few 20+ kills, single digit deaths on Creek mostly working the cave and the houses. A lot of people are just not very careful going into the cave for some reason.  However, you can run into trouble if you run into a team with some sense.  I had a bad round last night where I would often get a grenade kill at the cave entrance, flash it, and still get killed because there was an enemy who was staying a safe distance back.  It also helps to have a buddy hold one end of the cave while you hold the other.  The problem then comes when it gets too quiet and your teammate doesn't mention he's leaving.

I'd say Pipeline, District, Chinatown, Ambush and Bloc are the maps I still feel uncomfortable on. Broadcast I am getting better with.  That's a pretty big chunk of maps, but there are at least a significant group where I have good places to get kills.

By the way, overhead maps like these can be pretty helpful.  I don't think there are any for the new maps, though, because they haven't come out on pc.  You'll see different names for the buildings in different places.  I saw a map that called the buildings on Bog McDonald's, Burger King and KFC, but I've never heard anyone refer to them that way online.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 28, 2008, 02:29:29 PM

By the way, overhead maps like these can be pretty helpful. 

Those are neat.

As for creek, I usually never go near the cave...which is probably why I'm almost always able to get on the flanks...
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »

Neat maps.
Wish they had that when I started out heh.

Handy thing about them is the names of the sections.

I'm sure you get tired of hearing "he's by the building next to that stand under the stairs by the fence!" from me...

Gonna eat your face
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2008, 03:15:42 AM »

Good hour and a half tonight with Teggy.

W00t.

Closed out the 2nd shotgun and the M14/21 whatever it is.  Switched back to the M16 and my K/D is in great shape again.  I'm just 2000 pts or so from flipping again.

Hopefully I'll make 1.7 on the next prestige run.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2008, 03:29:29 AM »

I was definitely seduced by the flashiness of the P90.  By the time I leveled it up, I was glad to be done with it. Just a few more kills on my SAW (I comically brought it on Wetworks in an attempt to get the last 6 kills for my last round of the night and only managed 3), and I move on to the RPD and the M60.  I really hope those guns are better suited for deep impact, because it seemed to do nothing for the SAW.  Maybe I will fool around with sniping, because I haven't done any. Shotguns or mini Uzi - don't think I'm going there.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 29, 2008, 03:29:29 AM

I was definitely seduced by the flashiness of the P90.  By the time I leveled it up, I was glad to be done with it. Just a few more kills on my SAW (I comically brought it on Wetworks in an attempt to get the last 6 kills for my last round of the night and only managed 3), and I move on to the RPD and the M60.  I really hope those guns are better suited for deep impact, because it seemed to do nothing for the SAW.  Maybe I will fool around with sniping, because I haven't done any. Shotguns or mini Uzi - don't think I'm going there.

As stated by legendary COD4 player, ATB, the M60 is a beast to start with as its sights are the worst in the game.  Get the red dot and you'll be set

Spoiler for Hiden:
and using a murder machine.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »

Oh and by the way:

The key for success, for me, on Chinatown is:

Silenced MP5
3 frags (or claymores, still TBD)
UAV Jammer
Deep impact

I've been tearing fools up.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

Got the grip for the RPD Hark, and you're right it owns.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 29, 2008, 02:26:57 PM

Is it really a noticible difference enough to offset the accuracy with the red dot?

I've never really seen much of a difference with a gun that has the grip vs the same gone that doesn't...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2008, 05:49:39 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 29, 2008, 05:56:08 PM

Is it really a noticible difference enough to offset the accuracy with the red dot?

I've never really seen much of a difference with a gun that has the grip vs the same gone that doesn't...

Yeah because even with the red dot after the first few rounds the aim goes off.  With the grip, all 300 rounds are right where you are pointing, it's freakin' amazing.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »

With the red dot on the M60, it's hard to put 2-3 rounds on the exact same small target at max range.  Your first round will probably hit since you have the red dot for aim, but then it drifts up.

With the grip on the RPD, the first 3 rounds pretty much hit within the same tiny target even at max range on the largest maps.  Since the RPD does 40 damage per round, even without a head shot it's a kill at max range with 3 out of your available 100 rounds in the mag.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2008, 02:48:50 PM

With the red dot on the M60, it's hard to put 2-3 rounds on the exact same small target at max range.  Your first round will probably hit since you have the red dot for aim, but then it drifts up.

With the grip on the RPD, the first 3 rounds pretty much hit within the same tiny target even at max range on the largest maps.  Since the RPD does 40 damage per round, even without a head shot it's a kill at max range with 3 out of your available 100 rounds in the mag.

Is that from the hip?

Oh BTW, even with GTA4 out I did manage to log on yesterday long enough to red dot my M60 and hit level 44.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:54:20 PM by Teggy » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2008, 02:51:51 PM

Oh BTW, even with GTA4 out I did manage to log on yesterday long enough to red dot my M60 and hit level 44.

Yes indeed. It was a wasteland for the non GTAIV group last night. All but two people were playing it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 03:46:07 PM

Yes indeed. It was a wasteland for the non GTAIV group last night. All but two people were playing it.

I felt bad when I only saw ATB playing COD4 and everyone else on my friends list was GTA.  Did it take forever to find a game in COD?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 30, 2008, 04:28:27 PM

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 03:46:07 PM

I felt bad when I only saw ATB playing COD4 and everyone else on my friends list was GTA.  Did it take forever to find a game in COD?

These are the numbers from 360voice (is there that shows all player stats?)  The number in parentheses is difference from previous day:

1. Call of Duty 4
9,341 gamers ( -1,432)

2. GTA IV
8,282 gamers ( 7,841)

3. Halo 3
6,451 gamers ( -1,959)

4. Rainbow Six® Vegas 2
2,792 gamers ( -807)

We'll have to see what tomorrow's numbers look like, but COD4's hit was much smaller than GTA's gain.  I had no problem getting a game yesterday afternoon.  I think people who really want to play an FPS aren't going to bother with GTA.

EDIT:  Looks like those were 2 days old.  The site was updated with yesterday's actual numbers:

1. GTA IV
32,430 gamers ( 24,148)

2. Call of Duty 4
5,629 gamers ( -3,712)

3. Halo 3
4,086 gamers ( -2,365)

4. Rock Band
2,014 gamers ( -483)

A big hit to COD4's numbers, but still, it looks like there's a difference between the people who play the 2 games.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:14:23 PM by Teggy » Logged

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »

The thing is, the RPD has one of the best iron sights in the game, so yeah, the tradeoff makes it a freggin' sniping cannon.
You can notice a difference in this scenario.
Somebody up on the ridge on Creek, while you are on the hill, houseside.
Try to take a few pot shots with the red dot on from that distance, vs with the grip on.
4-7 without vs 1-2 with = grip ftw.

Gonna eat your face
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on April 30, 2008, 10:08:56 PM

The thing is, the RPD has one of the best iron sights in the game, so yeah, the tradeoff makes it a freggin' sniping cannon.
You can notice a difference in this scenario.
Somebody up on the ridge on Creek, while you are on the hill, houseside.
Try to take a few pot shots with the red dot on from that distance, vs with the grip on.
4-7 without vs 1-2 with = grip ftw.

Well diyamn.

I'll have to try it.  Someday.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2008, 03:54:29 AM »

OMG. Tried domination tonight. It's the most frustrating thing especially when you continually have idiots on your team who keep rushing the same AND ONLY heavily guarded flag. 

ATB: STOP GOING TO B!
rattatatatatatatat whole team goes down (ATB captures C)
rattatatatatta whole team goes down (ATB captures A)
ATB: YOU RETARDS! STOP GOING TO B!
ratttatatatatata whole team goes down (ATB re-captures C)
ATB: <mutes mic>
rattatatatatatata whole team goes down (ATB disconnects after 5 straight losses and vows never to try that mode again without a team of people he knows)

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 01, 2008, 03:54:29 AM

OMG. Tried domination tonight. It's the most frustrating thing especially when you continually have idiots on your team who keep rushing the same AND ONLY heavily guarded flag. 

rattatatatatatatat whole team goes down (ATB captures C)
rattatatatatta whole team goes down (ATB captures A)
ATB: YOU RETARDS! STOP GOING TO B!
ratttatatatatata whole team goes down (ATB re-captures C)
ATB: <mutes mic>
rattatatatatatata whole team goes down (ATB disconnects after 5 straight losses and vows never to try that mode again without a team of people he knows)

This is one of the main reasons I don't play it either.

In addition, on some maps NOT taking a point is just as important as taking one.  Overgrown for example, you want to avoid taking B because you'll start spawning really far from A AND C.  This one has been trouble even in a team of all GT'ers though because people can't shake the thought of 'if the point is unguarded I should take it' which isn't always true.  One person takes point B and the whole team starts spawning a 20-30 second walk from the action and we lose.
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »

Good points above.

The people who feel the need to take the third territory really bother me. Domination is easy. You take two territories, and control the other team's spawns and pick them off. You know how far you can go up without causing the other team to spawn behind you, and stay behind that line.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: