http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:36:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me become 1337 at COD4 multi  (Read 17189 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »

That's okay, other people are allowed to play too.   ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 19, 2008, 11:52:00 PM

People on my friend's list should play this game tonight.  After 8pm central.

Especially people named Kato and Harkonis.

Sorry for the short playtime on  my part.  After the wife and I got back from blockbuster, we got caught up watching the new series of Doctor Who.  Anyways, as usual it was great kicking ass with the usual gang.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »

The lil chuckle you gave when Jarrod said 'see you tomorrow' in response to you saying 'be back in 30 minutes' was priceless   ninja
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »

Did the quality of play increase after my departure? We were stinking up the joint last night.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 03:39:01 AM »

I hopped on for a couple of hours tonight. I really wasn't playing too great - had some decent success with Broadcast, pretty average on the other maps, and downright awful on Wetwork (I still have no idea how to play that map). Then, right before 11pm, my hard stop for the night, Creek comes up.  We start on the high side of the map, and I move out to the left side to wait for someone trying to make their way up.  Pop a guy there,  then moved around the left of the patio house.  Wait for someone to try to come up and pop them.  Go down in the gorge and drop a guy trying to make his way up. UAV shows me that no one is in the cave.  Move in and park before the entrance.  Drop 2 or 3 guys trying to get in. I think I also got a guy off the airstrike, and helicopter comes up.

Oh, helicopter, how I love you.

I had never gotten one before, and here we go.  I fell back to the buildings while the helicopter started searching.  Once it found some enemies, the dominoes started falling.  I think I got another helicopter just on helicopter kills.  When the round was over I was something like 24 and 5. That felt gooood. I also maxed out my M4 that round, so I wound up with a ton of XP.

Still struggling a bit with my accuracy.  If I come into a room looking straight at a guy, too often the guy pops me before I can even get off a shot, or I'll shoot wildly and he'll have time to get me.

Also, Hark, got your message about joining when called, and will do in the future.  Was trying to level up tonight so I was being stingy with points, but I guess there's lots of time to get points and its not as fun playing when everyone is being quiet. And it must have taken a lot of patience to write that long a note with the stupid MS onscreen abc keyboard.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:41:09 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 04:39:07 AM »

Those kinds of rounds are the ones that make it all worthwhile.

As far as text messages, he probably just used his computer.  I like sending messages via xbox.com vs trying to send something quick while in, or between rounds.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »

I have the lil 360 keyboard that attaches to the controller now so I sometimes use it and sometimes my computer so no problems on the msgs smile

I'll suggest to anyone that doesn't feel confident about staying alive for the whole round that once you get a helicopter, hold on to it and start being more aggressive.  Then once you die, call it up and be very conservative.  On most maps this will allow you to use your helicopter to get you at least an air strike and sometimes another helicopter.  Some of my best games have been like this.  UAV, Air-strike, run out kill three more people and die, respawn and call helicopter, camp and peg a couple people while helicopter kills a few, air strike for the rest, run out and kill a couple, die, respawn and call helicopter, repeat.  This is how I ended up going 40+ kills with 4 deaths in a very, very short amount of time on Pipeline.  Overgrown was almost as good.  Basically on any map that a helicopter is a good deal you are better off taking the death and using it when you respawn.

This advice works for airstrikes too in some regards.  If you get an airstrike but are in a bad spot and likely to be overrun or killed, try to get somewhere safe.  Worst case is you die and the airstrike will help you get an airstrike slywink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »

Wetwork-

This map more than any other requires outright- but well timed- aggression with the overall objective of getting behind the other team.  There are obvious choke points on the map, so you have to pick the right places to wait until the coast is clear.

If you're not running forward at almost all times, you'll get smoked.

The problem is, though, that everyone uses 3x grenades, sonic boom and martyrdom so expect to get killed quite a bit before you get into a rythym with this map.  To this end you have to figure out, from experience, where the obvious grenade toss lanes are and how to weave in and out of them.

Additionally, you'll also need to figure out where best to toss grenades. I will get at least one 1 kill 95% of the time if i release a grenade as I'm charging the right or left sides and I let it go at an angle that barely clears the cargo containers that serve as barriers on each side.  The angle carries it all the way to the middle of the map and cleans up anyone hiding behind the walls where the steps up are or who are hiding by the cargo containers on their side.

Typically, that will leave a side open to allow me to get behind the team and clean them out as they respawn or charge in the other direction.

That's probably hard to visualize, but it makes sense in my head.

Wetwork is where I have all of my top kills matches 47, 44, 42, 40 and it's one of my favorites cause if you get helicopter it rains down angry death like on no other map.
I recommend a silenced SMG for quick movement.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »

http://www.xanga.com/DenKirson/632800688/item.html
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

That is one heck of a chart.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »

At what point do you get martydom?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 21, 2008, 05:26:24 PM

At what point do you get martydom?

Martyrdom comes at 17.  Here's a quick reference for that stuff.

Funny, I have that chart bookmarked from another site but I hadn't posted it because I figured you guys would have already seen it.

I also saw this on digg - the art of throwing C4.

I don't know if I have the patience to learn how to run around flinging c4, but I am going to have to try that booby trapped car bit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:00:38 PM by Teggy » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »

I have never used C4.

I know a lot of guys who do car bombs. It's always hilarious.
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »

I just got the game for the PS3 having never played a console FPS.  I got thought the first two acts of the single player game and then jumped into multiplayer...

...I quickly learned that I am, hands-down, one of the worst online multi players ever.  I registered one kill in an hour of team deathmatch.  And I must have died at least 50 times.  I'm surprised I didn't get booted off the team I was on (the fact that I didn't get voted off leads me to believe that the poor bastards I was teamed up with didn't have that option).

Someone please tell me that aiming with the analog stick will eventually become second nature.  Assuming it does, how many hours of playing did it take you to get comfortable with the controls?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »

Took me about 2 hours going from PC (mouse+keyboard) to the 360 for fps
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

With the exception of a select few titles (Half Life, Rainbow Six, Jedi Knight), almost all of my FPS experience is on console, so I'm not bothered by it.  Playing the single player campaign was certainly enough for me to get familiar with the controls.

It sounds like maybe you are being too aggressive?  I'm far from great at the game, but I'm able to at least contribute positively to most matches by using my chicke... er... "conservative" strategy:

1. always stay in cover, and if you need to move across an open space, run.
2. don't move ahead of your teammates' front line, and see if you can support them if they draw fire
3. work the edges of the map to minimize the directions you can get hit from and find flanking opportunities
4. only fire when necessary - as soon as you fire an unsilenced round, you're on radar.  After you fire, get moving or expect that you'll have someone on your position very shortly. Often, you can just fall back and you'll catch a guy who's coming to look for you.

By doing this, a lot of my kills are on unsuspecting victims. I'm still improving my aim, so if I get in a close firefight, I'm ofter a goner, so I play to avoid them. This tactic might work well for you too starting out.

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »

Good stuff, Teggy.  Thank you.

I think my problems are a combination of me being (1) over-aggressive and (2) slower to react/aim, etc.  A dangerous combination.  icon_eek

In any event, I'm floored at how quickly and accurately players can fire off round after round.  Even while running.  It's really amazing. 

I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

It took me quite a bit to get used to console controls.  It's still not as precise as Mouse and Keyboard, but I can hold my own now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 21, 2008, 06:37:04 PM

With the exception of a select few titles (Half Life, Rainbow Six, Jedi Knight), almost all of my FPS experience is on console, so I'm not bothered by it.  Playing the single player campaign was certainly enough for me to get familiar with the controls.

It sounds like maybe you are being too aggressive?  I'm far from great at the game, but I'm able to at least contribute positively to most matches by using my chicke... er... "conservative" strategy:

1. always stay in cover, and if you need to move across an open space, run.
2. don't move ahead of your teammates' front line, and see if you can support them if they draw fire
3. work the edges of the map to minimize the directions you can get hit from and find flanking opportunities
4. only fire when necessary - as soon as you fire an unsilenced round, you're on radar.  After you fire, get moving or expect that you'll have someone on your position very shortly. Often, you can just fall back and you'll catch a guy who's coming to look for you.

By doing this, a lot of my kills are on unsuspecting victims. I'm still improving my aim, so if I get in a close firefight, I'm ofter a goner, so I play to avoid them. This tactic might work well for you too starting out.

Our little Teggy is all grown up  crybaby
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 21, 2008, 07:22:19 PM

Growing smile  When I can get my k/d up to 1, then the apprentice must kill his master. That's what Star Wars taught me. Something like that.  Either way, there's time, because I'm only at .6.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 21, 2008, 07:46:21 PM

Growing smile  When I can get my k/d up to 1, then the apprentice must kill his master. That's what Star Wars taught me. Something like that.  Either way, there's time, because I'm only at .6.

Unfortunately, you need a higher k/d than your mentor, preferably higher by a 2:1 ratio to improve your chances of winning vs him/her slywink
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 07:47:57 PM

Unfortunately, you need a higher k/d than your mentor, preferably higher by a 2:1 ratio to improve your chances of winning vs him/her slywink

Or you can kill him with "friendly fire" in a hardcore match....  ninja
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:45:54 PM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 21, 2008, 08:46:52 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 07:47:57 PM

Or you can kill him with "friendly fire" in a hardcore match....  ninja

1. Yes. When you hit 1.0 you'll still be .67 behind me and .71 behind Mikagami.  Keep tryin', kiddo!
2. Don't follow Kato's lead and learn to actually quote something outside of the original quote  retard
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »

Whenever I think of team play like this, I recall a story from PC Gamer's glory days where a couple of staffers got drunk out of their skulls then got online in some RB6 matches. One of the guys kept TK'ing by dropping grenades in the group as soon as they started, so the other team members would spawn on the next map then immediately spin, find him, then kill him. Eventually, he was booted but up to then he went out of his way to terrorize his friends. Personally, that sounds hilarious.smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »

Yep.  Hilarious.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 21, 2008, 10:27:53 PM

Yep.  Hilarious.

Translation:

"Whiteboyskim if you ever try this in one our matches it will be the last time you play in one of our matches. Sincerely, Jarrod."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »

To be less succinct:  Goofing around with friend's is fine.  Heaven knows I've knifed Hark and Kato a time or two in hardcore matches.

Randomly griefing some people because it is 'fun' is less fine.

P.s.  Don't mind me its that time of the semester.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »

Rock. And. Roll.  My new wireless gaming adapter came today and I tested it out with a few rounds. Worked flawlessly, full green bars the whole time.  And shipped it cost half the price of the MS adapter. Now I need to figure some way to salvage the MS adapter.  Maybe I will have a friend try it on his machine to see if he also has problems with it or if it is just something odd about the interaction with my network.

And why didn't anyone tell me that an AK-47 with stopping power is AWESOME? Am I a noob for liking it?

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 21, 2008, 11:16:02 PM

To be less succinct:  Goofing around with friend's is fine.  Heaven knows I've knifed Hark and Kato a time or two in hardcore matches.

Randomly griefing some people because it is 'fun' is less fine.

P.s.  Don't mind me its that time of the semester.

Disregard everything Jarrodhk said, we would never intentionally kill each other when on the same team. unibrow

*sets c4 behind Jarrod*  ninja

Nope you're not a noob Teggy for liking the AK.  In fact, I think ATB had/has a love affair with the damn thing and does quite well with it

Semper Fidelis

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 22, 2008, 12:09:42 AM

Rock. And. Roll.  My new wireless gaming adapter came today and I tested it out with a few rounds. Worked flawlessly, full green bars the whole time.  And shipped it cost half the price of the MS adapter. Now I need to figure some way to salvage the MS adapter.  Maybe I will have a friend try it on his machine to see if he also has problems with it or if it is just something odd about the interaction with my network.

And why didn't anyone tell me that an AK-47 with stopping power is AWESOME? Am I a noob for liking it?

Nope, I've played for 6+ days and I still count the AK as my favorite gun.

BTW, not to derail, but I saw you mention wireless adaptors. I just moved and I need to switch the 360 to wireless so I'm curious what people are using. The official MS is ridiculously expensive brand new, but it looks like I can find it fairly cheap on e-bay. Just wondering if that's my best option though.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »

I was using a wireless access point and wired the 360 to it.

Noobs like AK-47's.... and other guns slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2008, 12:40:39 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on April 22, 2008, 12:18:45 AM

BTW, not to derail, but I saw you mention wireless adaptors. I just moved and I need to switch the 360 to wireless so I'm curious what people are using. The official MS is ridiculously expensive brand new, but it looks like I can find it fairly cheap on e-bay. Just wondering if that's my best option though.

This is the one I got:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10351886&listingid=21201106&dcaid=17902
It got it for $45 shipped on eBay and it was shrinkwrapped new, but that was a bit of a deal.  If you are willing to go used you can certainly do better than that, and there are deals to be had to get it close to that price new.

The MS one is certainly sexier in the way it clips on to the machine, but I had nothing but trouble with it.  In addition to having constant signal problems, I had to pull it out of the USB port and reseat it every other time I turned on the 360 on, and that's a problem others on the board have had.  It also takes up the rear USB port that you might want to use for the camera.

You may do fine with the MS model, but there are practical and financial reasons for doing otherwise.

Now, to stay on topic, the reason I asked if the AK was a noob weapon was that I heard a couple of guys complaining that the other team was all using AKs.  But I believe someone wrote previously that every weapon is called a noob weapon if people are getting killed by it.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2008, 12:52:11 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 22, 2008, 12:40:39 AM

Now, to stay on topic, the reason I asked if the AK was a noob weapon was that I heard a couple of guys complaining that the other team was all using AKs.  But I believe someone wrote previously that every weapon is called a noob weapon if people are getting killed by it.

Heh, that happens with every weapon in the game. Probably one of my favorite MP moments ever was with Hark, Kato, and a couple other folks. I was using an RPD and our team barely won a match, with the last kill coming from my RPD. Well, the guy I killed proceeded to bitch in the lobby about how we were all noobs and that we suck and that we have to use RPD's. The next match our entire team equipped RPD's and we won by a ridiculously large margin. The yelling that followed was sheer greatness.

Hark, what brand are you using? That sounds like it could be a good solution as I'd prefer to keep the USB port free.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 01:07:06 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on April 22, 2008, 12:52:11 AM

Now, to stay on topic, the reason I asked if the AK was a noob weapon was that I heard a couple of guys complaining that the other team was all using AKs.  But I believe someone wrote previously that every weapon is called a noob weapon if people are getting killed by it.

Heh, that happens with every weapon in the game. Probably one of my favorite MP moments ever was with Hark, Kato, and a couple other folks. I was using an RPD and our team barely won a match, with the last kill coming from my RPD. Well, the guy I killed proceeded to bitch in the lobby about how we were all noobs and that we suck and that we have to use RPD's. The next match our entire team equipped RPD's and we won by a ridiculously large margin. The yelling that followed was sheer greatness.

I've heard the noob weapon comment so many times, but I've never heard anyone say what isn't a noob weapon. Are you a noob unless you run around with a pistol?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2008, 01:56:27 AM »

Knives only man.  Real men use knives only.

And cost their teams many games... but hey, they are real men.

Also the all RPD match was great!

Edit: So Mikagami (I can type it, I just can't say it for some reason) and I played one last match on chinatown tonight.  I called out that the other team had someone on the .50 in the window.  Which apparently translated into: 'Hey everyone run over to where the .50 in the window is and get shot.'

Made  for an interesting game that we lost.  Of course Mikagami still pulled a 28-12 or so in the match.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:28:07 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2008, 06:30:31 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 22, 2008, 01:07:06 AM

Quote from: godhugh on April 22, 2008, 12:52:11 AM

Now, to stay on topic, the reason I asked if the AK was a noob weapon was that I heard a couple of guys complaining that the other team was all using AKs.  But I believe someone wrote previously that every weapon is called a noob weapon if people are getting killed by it.

I've heard the noob weapon comment so many times, but I've never heard anyone say what isn't a noob weapon. Are you a noob unless you run around with a pistol?

The only weapon that really aggravates, and that I kinda consider a nood weapon, is the grenade launcher. That thing is such a f'ing crutch.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »

When I first started COD4 I used the AK exclusively. It's a great weapon for short to medium combat.  Long range is a bit of a stretch.

My love affairs of guns have gone like this:

AK-47- I think I used it almost exclusively for my first two prestige runs.
M-60 with red dot. Dear heavens, that gun is just a murder machine. I've taken back to it on my current prestige run.
M-16. The best gun in the game bar none in my opinion. Dead on balls accurate (thanks Cousin Vinny!) and good at everything but CQC, but even then you can get a kill if you fire and pray.

As for the noob comments. Like we've said, the losing teams decry any weapon at any time.  The only fair critique, as also was mentioned, is the grenade launcher and that's not even really fair either.  But it is annoying as crap to get killed by it over and over.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »

Thanks Arthur!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »

I wonder if the weapons are different between versions-  on the PC I'm finding the M4 to be alot more effective than the M-16, but the M60 with the grip is a beast too.

perhaps it's by the time I got the M4 I was so much better at the game that's making the difference.  I'll have to go back to the M16 and find out.

I'm also loving Hardcore mode alot more than regular mode.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »

Let me qualify ATB's excellent comments above by pointing out that a post-patch AK/ACOG combo is a very versatile setup. Close quarters with Steady Aim is a piece of cake, and you can hit targets at long range if you squeeze your shots off one at a time. After the patch, the AK is the best gun in the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: