http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:45:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me become 1337 at COD4 multi  (Read 16743 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »

Well, just help me not get run out of online matches.  I've never really played online FPS, but I figure for my $60 investment I should try to get my money's worth.  My limited forays online have been pretty fun and I'd like to play some of the different game types that are currently locked to me. I've managed to get to level 4 so I can have custom kits, but beyond that I really am a noob.  The last match I played the other guys on my team (I didn't know them) no so kindly "requested" I go hide in a corner because I kept getting killed.

I can play the game - I finished it on hardened - but multi is a totally different animal.  For one, I don't know the maps - what's the best way to learn them? Two, I have this fear of team killing.  When I go running around and spot a guy off in the distance, I can't always tell if he's on my team, and that hesitation is usually enough for me to get me killed.  How do I avoid that? Also, what technically counts as "camping"?  It seems in real life you'd want to find good cover and shoot when people approach and be careful about moving up.  But in a game this is bad?

So give me your tips!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »

First off, just keep playing.  I got into COD4 in late December, so I was regularly getting my gluteus maximus handed to me on a regular basis until level 20 or so.  Learning the maps is probably one of the most important aspects to getting good - while you could always set up a system link game and run around them by yourself, it's probably better to play with more experienced people, and pay attention to what they do (the killcam is very useful for this) - where the good sniping points are, where the chokepoints are, blind corners, etc.

I tend to stick to Free For All, which eliminates the worry of teamkilling smile  But I think as long as you're not playing one of the hardcore modes, you can't kill your teammates (someone else please correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as camping goes, it's a valid technique - if someone doesn't want to be killed by a "camper", they shouldn't be running around corners like a chicken with it's head cut off.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »

Friendly fire is off in non-Hardcore modes.  Fire at will, and if they die, they were a bad guy.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »

Teggy-

We've got a semi-regular crew who plays COD4.  Best ways to learn the maps are to play and play and play and to play with people who have already played and played and played.

If you fancy rollin with me/us (I'll be back in front of my 360 Saturday night) send me an invite SensuousLettuce.

What days/times do you usually play?

As for camping: It is a legit tactic no doubt, but what really frosts people is when guys camp the same spot the whole match.  I pretty much know all the best camping spots on all the maps (save the new ones) but I won't spend the whole match there cause usually everyone knows them.

Don't let trash talkers get you down.  They deride any tactic you use whether it's camping or using close quarters weaponry...or if you pwn them all the time with M16. smile
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:21:09 PM by ATB » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »

Yeah... mostly what's been said already, and to second the fact that it doesn't matter what tactic or weapon you use, someone (or a lot of people) are going to yell at you for it.

Hang out and play it safe?  Camper.  Run around everywhere and get shot?  Stupid, go hide in a corner (see also: camp).  Use a shotgun?  Noob weapon.  Use an M-16?  Noob weapon.  Use the RPD?  Noob weapon.  Use the M-14?  Noob camper.  Snipe?  Camper.  Use a submachine gun?  Spray and pray'er.  (okay, reaching for that one)  Throw grenades?  Noob.  Get locked into the spawn because everyone on your team gets killed the instant you spawn?  Camper.  And on and on.

Play with people from GT/OO/QT3/Friends/etc.  Don't hesitate to mute idiots.  Learn the maps... by playing.  Expect that sometimes (a lot in the beginning) you are going to get slaughtered.  Just pay attention to when/where/how, especially by watching the kill cams.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 10, 2008, 11:15:16 PM

Yeah... mostly what's been said already, and to second the fact that it doesn't matter what tactic or weapon you use, someone (or a lot of people) are going to yell at you for it.

Hang out and play it safe?  Camper.  Run around everywhere and get shot?  Stupid, go hide in a corner (see also: camp).  Use a shotgun?  Noob weapon.  Use an M-16?  Noob weapon.  Use the RPD?  Noob weapon.  Use the M-14?  Noob camper.  Snipe?  Camper.  Use a submachine gun?  Spray and pray'er.  (okay, reaching for that one)  Throw grenades?  Noob.  Get locked into the spawn because everyone on your team gets killed the instant you spawn?  Camper.  And on and on.

Play with people from GT/OO/QT3/Friends/etc.  Don't hesitate to mute idiots.  Learn the maps... by playing.  Expect that sometimes (a lot in the beginning) you are going to get slaughtered.  Just pay attention to when/where/how, especially by watching the kill cams.

Yep teggy, just add us regular COD4 folk to your friends list and get started.  Also for extra 1337ness you must have a clever clan tag name.......uh I guess when you level up enough to earn one  icon_lol

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 10, 2008, 11:31:22 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 10, 2008, 11:15:16 PM

Yep teggy, just add us regular COD4 folk to your friends list and get started.  Also for extra 1337ness you must have a clever clan tag name.......uh I guess when you level up enough to earn one  icon_lol

One of the ways I keep myself entertained while dying far too often is coming up with new, creative, or applicable clan tags for the situation at hand.  If we're playing against a fairly obnoxious, immature clan then I will almost always adopt their clan tag for a few games, and that almost always results in absolute hilarity.  Sometimes my clan tag will reflect my beverage of choice for the evening ("beer" "wine" "booz" etc).  At other times it has reflected my unwillingness to pick up the in-laws at the airport (InLw), while in other instances it has reflected my poor play (AWFL).  My clan tag almost always depends on my mood, but rarely will you see the same tag twice. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:36 PM »

Heck....  I've been playing since November, and I'm off and on again with skill.   In other words I'll go 4 and 29 last night when some idiots were using map exploints agianst us, 10-12 most games, and then every now and then rail off a 20 - 6 masterpiece.

But mostly I'm pretty mediocre, but the guys here are great and don't judge me for it at all.     I highly encourage getting us on your friends list and you'll have a great time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »

Map knowledge is key, tactics second, skill is a distant third.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 12:05:09 AM »

Yeah, getting into some matches with you guys would be great.  I don't have set playtimes really at the moment (evenings eastern if I have the time, some weekends) but I can look for you guys.  Is there a good list of COD4 gamertags on GT? I still haven't been added to Purge's big list.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 12:30:31 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 11, 2008, 12:05:09 AM

Yeah, getting into some matches with you guys would be great.  I don't have set playtimes really at the moment (evenings eastern if I have the time, some weekends) but I can look for you guys.  Is there a good list of COD4 gamertags on GT? I still haven't been added to Purge's big list.

Check the MP forum FOOL!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »

Wait. We're in the MP forum now.  This house Sho gone crazy!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:23:44 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 11, 2008, 12:32:28 AM

Wait. We're in the MP forum now.  This house Sho gone crazy!

That means you won't be needing a jacket.

Thanks Arthur
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 11, 2008, 12:01:27 AM

Map knowledge is key, tactics second, skill is a distant third.

at this point, with all the XP/perks/unlocks/whatever that people have, is it even worth it for a first time player to jump in?  the way the one FAQ I read reads makes it sound like a level 1 guy would be horribly outgunned.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »

Every time someone hits 55+ and flips they are level 1 and lose all their gear so there will often be low level people playing, they just have experience with the maps and game.

In addition, from the time I'm level 6, I'm already maxed on all the perks and weapons I use throughout all 55 levels with the exception of the bandolier that comes at 32.

I very much disagree that a level 55 is any better than a level 10 or so.  Some of the best performing weapons, m16, rpd, mp5 are starter weapons and by level 10 you can have red dots and grips on all of them.

Someone that knows all the maps inside and out could win with just a pistol and no perks against someone who is level 55 and has never played on a particular map. 

Most of the truly game changing perks are early, the later ones are more of a style choice for people who don't just shoot.  Claymores, martyrdom, last stand, change the way you play the game, but not really how effective you are imo.  Martyrdom helps you get a kill for every couple deaths, but it's not hard to work around opponents using it.

If the starting weapons had sucked, I'd agree with you that a late comer would be at a severe disadvantage, but as it is if you can get your map time in and your controls down you'll be fine.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »

btw, this means you don't have any excuses now CK. Tongue
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »

Yep. Hark summed it up pretty perfectly.

Also, as COD4 continues to be the #1 seller there are lots of brand new low ranked players in the game even 6 months after release so you'll be in good company. And believe it or not, a lot of the vets still playing are willing to give pointers and help new folks out. There are many people I've played with with high prestiges who kind of frown upon talking crap to new players and chastise those who do (like I do). But, to be fair, there are lots of vets who S talk newbs mercilessly.  This usually results in me smoking them out of retribution!

Lastly, many of the COD4 vets have tuckered out their play with the game and have moved onto vegas or other games.

You'll be fine CK.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »

Most of what I'd have to say has already been said.

For me.. getting some good "kits" is the key.  I have different ones for different maps... but I always go back the old Standby, M4, red dot, extra stuns, martyrdom, and stopping power I think.

Play conservatively.. running and gunning is a death wish in this game.

Don't worry about ranks.  I'm at 41, and I am 98 percent of the time in the top 3 on my team.  I routinely pwn guys higher than me.  This all with a "kit" I've been using since the mid 20's.  If you play smart, and learn the maps.. you'll do better than fine.  I'm certainly no FPS master, and I can hold my own.  I laugh at guys with their pea shooter P90's and such.  Lately, I've been having a blast lugging around the LMG's, and bringing havoc.

If you can play with the peeps here, you will get better really fast.. as well as have a lot more fun.

"Goonies never say die"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

Well, I got some playtime in last night thanks to USMC Kato, JarrodHK and MSDuncan (and no thanks to Harkonis, who killed me slywink )

Definitely less pressure playing that way although I don't know if I improved much just yet.  I never managed to string 2 kills together, although I didn't come in last place every time. Next thing to concentrate on will be to keep moving after a kill - too often after a kill I think I start looking around instead of moving to cover.  One would assume that since I have just given my position away someone on the other team is heading over to get me.

I also need to work on switching to my secondary.  A few times I got the bead on an enemy and ran out of ammo while I was trying to gun them down.  While I was reloading I got smoked.

Learning the maps will take some time.  Part of my problem is that, as someone who hasn't played much online FPS, I don't really know what makes one spot good and other spot bad (other than knowing not to stay out in the open).  It looks like there are a lot of good videos on youtube, so I might look at those at my leisure.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

One of the more advanced skill sets needed is to conserve ammo and make sure you put someone down in as few bullets as possible.  I wouldn't focus on it when just starting, but it is something to keep in your mind.

Part of the reason I do as well as I do is because I don't have to reload often, and I can stretch my ammo out for awhile as well.  When I face down 3v1 situations, I rarely have to reload or switch weapons before I'm either dead or they are slywink  Being able to control the recoil is huge imo.  I see a lot of people who will use an entire clip 1v1 and then get tagged reloading by the second player who approaches.  Short controlled bursts can help prevent this from happening.  Pull the trigger 3-4 times during your fight instead of holding it down for 2-3 seconds like you probably do.  Unless you're using a spraying weapon like the p90, you'll have a greater chance of getting a kill with the bursts.

Another tip I've found is that when using the M16 on a moving target, you can sweep the gun slightly while firing the burst and you get a much greater chance of hitting.  You just have to be very easy on all stick movements.

I play on 6 sensitivity currently and am working my way back up to 8 which is where I used to play at.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 05:01:03 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 11, 2008, 12:19:27 PM

OK.. I got an excuse....

I've started playing CoD4 MP on the PC.  Massive battles, mouse/keyboard controls...  5 hours in and I'm loving it!

let me tell you, when a server had 50+ slots open and has them regularly filled they should not be having 'Shipment' in the map rotation.  I think at one point everyone playing had 100+ deaths in one game of Team DM on that map- it was so crowded people were spawning on top of their enemies!

Because I can,
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:41 AM »

Okay, after my performance lately with COD4 I must ask help to become 1337!!

Semper Fidelis

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 05:31:10 AM »

We were on SUCH a roll until the last few maps. I'd say Mikagami and I played about 5 matches too many tonight.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2008, 05:01:03 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 11, 2008, 12:19:27 PM

OK.. I got an excuse....

I've started playing CoD4 MP on the PC.  Massive battles, mouse/keyboard controls...  5 hours in and I'm loving it!

let me tell you, when a server had 50+ slots open and has them regularly filled they should not be having 'Shipment' in the map rotation.  I think at one point everyone playing had 100+ deaths in one game of Team DM on that map- it was so crowded people were spawning on top of their enemies!

Even with 1337 mouse/keyboard you have more deaths than kills slywink  Yes, I went there, but only because I'm jealous about the controls.

As an aside, I find the 360 controls very comfortable and this is the first game that makes me feel fine about fps on a console.  Combined with the overly crowded mp games and lack of rankings and live and I definitely prefer 360 gaming to PC now.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

As an update, I have stuck with it and I have made it to level 11. I'm definitely improving - I am now ending up in 2nd or 3rd from last place instead of last smile.  I have also had some positive k/d ratios, although I have not broken 100 pts in a round yet, which is my next goal.  I have also pulled off 2 4 kill streaks.  I really wanted to get an air strike but both times I got a little anxious and got myself killed. The other thing I want to do short-term is get the red dot sight for the m4.

I'm also starting to learn some of the maps. I'm much more partial to the ones where there is plenty of cover and room to room fighting - Creek, District, Downpour, etc. I don't like the maps where there's very little cover and it's easy to just get shot at across the map without having a chance. I hate Countdown. Showdown should also not be played with 12 people. I don't mind Bog - it has a big open area, but there is a lot of cover and some routes you can take around the edge where the buildings are.

I wish they would put stats up online, it seems like that wouldn't be that hard to do.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »

Teggy-

Would have invited you but it looked like you were all up into Burnout...should we invite you anyway when you're not playing COD4?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 14, 2008, 12:03:36 PM

Even with 1337 mouse/keyboard you have more deaths than kills slywink  Yes, I went there, but only because I'm jealous about the controls.

that's the only complaint I have about the server I've been playing on:  the shipment map is murder on everyones Kill to death ratios.  That map must have been made for 10 players max- even with 20 players we were practically spawning on top of each other.  With 50 players alot of time you're lucky to make it a few steps before dying, and the Martyr perk makes it even more hellacious.

I laughed out loud at the one challenge that gave you XP for falling 30 feet to your death.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 14, 2008, 03:01:51 PM

Teggy-

Would have invited you but it looked like you were all up into Burnout...should we invite you anyway when you're not playing COD4?

Well, you can, but I might say wait about a week.  Reason being that my wireless adapter basically doesn't work for multiplayer so I have to string an ethernet cable across the room when I want to play.  To get around this I have ordered a different kind of wireless adapter that I hope is going to solve this problem, and I should have it in about a week.  Then I need to see if MS will accept my current adapter as defective, which I really think it is.

I'll post about it when I am all set up.

I actually was only planning on playing Burnout for about a half hour last night, but then I had a change of plans and wound up getting sucked into it. Games with no logical stopping points are dangerous!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 02:40:27 AM »

Got my red dot sights for the M4 and the M16 tonight and moved up to level 14 (and got the all-important clan tag ability). Also got through a few rounds over 100 points, but still haven't beaten a kill streak of 4. Arggh!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

you know, it's always fun to watch some asshat decide to unload their gun into your corpse or try and teabag you with the Martyr perk equipped icon_twisted

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2008, 03:50:17 PM

you know, it's always fun to watch some asshat decide to unload their gun into your corpse or try and teabag you with the Martyr perk equipped icon_twisted

LOL.

I don't get a lot of teabagging but there are a lot of fools who do the clip unload. I don't use martyrdom much sadly...
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »

If you want to get good at COD4 multi, you have to spend 10 minutes in the closet with me. And you can't tell your parents.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »

Quote from: UncleSmoothie on April 16, 2008, 01:15:11 PM

If you want to get good at COD4 multi, you have to spend 10 minutes in the closet with me. And you can't tell your parents.

That....that's just disturbing.

I was coming in here to say how great it is to play with Smoothie cause, without fail, we find something to laugh continously and deeply about.

2 nights ago it was:

1. Contacting MS
2. Mouse and Peanut butter.

Last night, and man I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, it was router diagnostics. L.O.L.

But that's all gone now cause he's a disgusting old man as evidenced by his post above.
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

Come on, I'm not that old.

(Also: I'm not sure why router diagnostics was as funny as it was, but god knows that I haven't laughed that hard in weeks.)
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »

Quote from: UncleSmoothie on April 16, 2008, 01:15:11 PM

Help me UncleSmoothie, you're my only hope

Semper Fidelis

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »

I too am needing help at being l33t at this game. I am having more negative matches than I ever have before and I'm stuck between 1.67 and 1.68.  First time in forever I haven't advanced...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »

man that closet is going to become crowded  icon_wink

Because I can,
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »

DEAR MR GATES!
I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE YOU AWARE OF A CERTAIN ACTIVITY KNOWN AS SHOOTING YOUR GUN AT THE BEGINING OF THE MATCH!

Priceless..

Gonna eat your face
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »

People on my friend's list should play this game tonight.  After 8pm central.

Especially people named Kato and Harkonis.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »

I think i am going it wind up playing again tonight.  Even though neither of those are my name.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: