http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:52:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: haha @ WOW  (Read 8561 times)
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 12:48:33 AM »

Quote from: "obb"
As far as easy leveling, Blizzard plans a lot of raid content.  The earliest raid content (Onyxia) is for level 60's.  With this in mind, leveling fastish is to be expected so people can end up participating in it all.  Leveling slows down a bit at some of the higher levels, but it's fun always.

Back to the topic at hand, with a free trial extension for the people who had accounts in the downtime I think Blizzard has all their bases covered.  I'm perfectly happy with their solution and can't think of other companies that have done such a thing, can anyone else?

Bah them focusing a lot on raid content scares me. On one hand, I really enjoyed messing with my rogue (only got him 6 though since i only decided to mess with a rogue on the very last day of beta), BUT on the other hand, reports say that rogues are pretty bad at fighting against Onyxia since so many things in that instance have really nasty aoe attacks  :?
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 01:31:14 AM »

I think that not every raid instance will be AOE based.  They'll all be varied as some of the instance boss/experience have been.  So Mages, Rogues, and Hunters (The DPS classes) will be all useful in massive battles. They each have some different abilities to bring to the table.  Just make sure your tank knows how to tank :-)
unbreakable
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2004, 04:27:06 AM »

I personally dislike the concept of somehow "earning" your levels, as if grinding away killing rats for three hours is some kind of virtue.

The devs have already stated that WoW will not have a steep leveling curve, which for me is great; I have yet to get a character in any MMO past level 35, much less all the way to max level.

I prefer games to be a form of entertainment, not another source of work.  If I want to grind away at something, I would rather be getting paid for it than spending (or rather wasting) my free time doing it.

EDIT-  BTW, WoW has just put up another 34 servers, for a total of 75.  This is all over the course of a few days, not a few months.  So anybody throwing out the 'they should have known', blah blah blah really needs to step back and applaud all the work and foreplanning Blizzard has done.  IMO they did know, and did plan ahead for the demand, but ran into the fact that there are only so many hours in the day, and so many people to do the high level job of setting up the servers.  IMO they just moved a few mountains, all for us  biggrin  Feel the love, guys.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2004, 04:45:51 AM »

It's actually 88 servers total, counting the 4 that are temporarily down.

We did in two days what we'd planned for 2 weeks in our most optimistic plans, and then some.  It's been insane.  We had the hardware on hand to support every box on the shelves, but holy crap.

Today's been pretty calm though.  Whew.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2004, 04:48:35 AM »

Well congrats t.o.  Glad to see that all your hard work is paying off.
unbreakable
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2004, 04:49:34 AM »

I didnt know you worked at Bliz.  Let them know at least one person stands in awe and appreciation of their (and your) hard work.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2004, 06:00:51 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I personally dislike the concept of somehow "earning" your levels, as if grinding away killing rats for three hours is some kind of virtue.

Agree 100%. This reminds me of an ad for Guild Wars in a magazine. I loved one of the lines in it ha that sums up my feelings on these games completely. It went something like "This is an online RPG built to be enjoyed not endured".

Not saying Guild Wars will live up to that line or WoW, I just like the sentiment behind that statement.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2004, 06:38:32 AM »

TO--whoever came up with the "reimburse the trial period" idea due to the downtime deserves a hearty pat on the back.  I'm really impressed--you guys have alot of class to do that, especially considering how apathetic most MMO developer/publishers are.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2004, 06:43:43 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Reading the posts in this thread makes me think of a question for all of you:

I THINK Toe posted that in one day his character is already 11, pushing the 12th level.  Doesn't this scare anyone?  Maybe it's because I'm so used to FFXI that I like it when you have to *earn* levels.  Is leveling really easy in WoW?  What's the level cap?  Sorry to derail the topic a bit, but those are some questions I have when I read through this thread.

I have not "powerleveled" at all. I have only done quests, period. And i have spent time bring up Herbalism and Alchemy, a rather tough combination due to the mechanics of them.

Now I was in beta and know who gives quests and where they are (a few in the starting areas are "hidden"). And I also run across people that know the ropes like I do and know what early quests are good to group up to complete and which ones you might as well do solo. Heck, just duoing with a person that knows the ropes moves you along at a very brisk pace. I highly recommend to anyone starting out to slow down and smell the roses. Because those times are fun times and I will always remember them fondly. But, I have done those quests quite a few times already, so I already smelled the roses and am ready to go through them quickly.

Frankly, I love WoW's leveling system and without a doubt think it is the best out there today. I have always hated the concept of "earning" your levels or power though constant grinding of exps. Ugh. Please shoot me already. Everquest really shoved that dynamic down our throats years ago and its still being pushed on us today. I hated it then and hate it now. I think of what MMOLs are based off of, PnP D&D basically, and laugh at the concept of "earning" levels through "grinding" of exps. It would be laughable in PnP games and I always thought it really did not have a place in MMOL game either.

Its kind of funny and sad to see, even at levels 5-6th, players "camping" areas and "grinding" on mobs. I just smile and continue on to the next quest, thinking how ignorant (or maybe its more "conditioned") they are. In a few hours time I will be higher level, have more money, and better equipment than they will.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2004, 02:14:52 PM »

I saw a level 21 guy this morning, and the Wanderers have at least 2 to 4 people in the 20-22 range. Questing makes gaining levels pretty fast, so it's not surprising to see people getting to 20 relatively fast. As said above, there are plenty of people who know exactly where to go to do their quests, which helps.

That said, they did slow leveling down in the 30 and above range, and I recall leveling at 40 being somewhat slow too, so I expect as we get closer to 60 the pace will slow down. Plus the amount of real estate you gotta cover when you get that high expands quite a bit - you're always running all over the world to do quests, flying here and there, taking the boat - that kind of time adds up. That doesn't mean there won't be people who are level 60 in 2 weeks, just means that the majority of people will be in the 30 range by then.

From what I recall, level 20 is more like 10% of the way to 60 if you measure by time played.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2004, 05:25:03 PM »

Tiny Ogre: Please pass on my congrats and thanks to the team - the game is incredible and I know lots of people gave up their holidays to work on the issues. I had some troubles with lag at first, but the last couple of days have been smooth sailing and just a HELL of a lot of fun! The game is FUN! I don't feel like I'm on a leveling treadmill killing rats and bats just to get the next shiny thing. The quests are fun, and I got a sense of satisfaction out of finally completing one that gave me heck for a couple of levels. This is a great game already.  I didn't expect anything less from Blizzard smile I can't wait to see what the future may bring for WoW.

Kodos - er, Kudos to you all!

Signed, an Unabashed Blizzard Fanbuoy
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2004, 05:39:28 PM »

Well, i just bought it. I thought it was good to see a mmorpg company make up for their mistakes instead of just blaming the customer or ignoring the problem.  :?
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »

I think, from a fundamental logic standpoint, all analogies are terrible, and yes, mine was too Tongue

In any case, the point is now utterly moot. As of wednesday night, all of the servers I have characters on have been up and lag free even with high population loads. The game works and it works well smile

As of thanksgiving evening there were two people in my guild that were 25 already. For many players a MMORPG launch is a "race" to max level, and that's where they get their enjoyment out of it. I'm a "take my time" sort of player and have hit 11 with my main. That included spending about an hour fishing, during which time I caught an equippable fish (offhand). I'm guessing this is for some sort of "big fish" screenshot purposes. I, however, have chosen to have it equipped as my standard loadout. I'm a hunter so I carry no shield. Now I go into melee with an axe in one hand and a fish in the other. Mysteriously, I have yet to receive a single comment on this though my guild was amused.

Kinda wish I could wear it on my head though smile Would also be good to be able to equip it and use it as a weapon.  At the moment I can only dream of charging into PvP, pWn1ng people with some maniacal fish-slapping fu.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2004, 06:45:45 PM »

Is there a trick to fishing?  I often find myself clicking on the bobber only to have it say that the fish got away.  It's frustrating to say the least.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2004, 07:08:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure all there is to fishing is a simple right click after the bobbing starts.  

It's really tough starting off but just buy a bauble and use it, it'll temporarily raise your skill long enough for you to get your fishing skill up pretty well.  

After you raise your skill you'll be good at catching things.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2004, 07:11:40 PM »

Are you clicking on it when you see the splash? Watch your bobber-it will wiggle and splash when there's a bite and that's when you right click on it.

Part of it may just be your fishing skill. Until it hits about 20 then yeah, a lot of the fish get away. Try buying one of the lures that gives you a temporary fishing bonus. You can get your base skill raised quite a ways before the lure wears off and then you'll no longer have escapees.

Fishing is also an ideal way to raise cooking. Usually the same NPC that sells poles will have a recipe for whatever the common fish is in whatever body of water is nearby. Once you've caught 20 or 30 of them, cook them all at once and you'll have, in the process, raised both fishing and cooking quite a ways. My hour of fishing yesterday was enough to raise both fishing and cooking to journeyman levels.

You also will occassionally get some actual loot when fishing. For awhile my hunter was using a blunderbuss that he caught while fishing in Ice Flow Lake. Some lakes also have treasure chests that spawn in them, so if you're a dwarf keep your gold detector up and an eye on your radar.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2004, 09:09:53 PM »

i was surprised by how much fun fishing is.  of course, the fun level was raised exponentially once i started "catching" compact shotguns and nice pieces of armor.  definitely a nice skill to have.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2004, 09:19:20 PM »

I guess my problem is that it seems there is a very small window of time for me to actually catch the fish.  Unless I click the bobber the instant it splashes the fish gets away.  And let me tell you it gets really fucking old waiting those 30 seconds or whatever just to click once and not get anything for it.

obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2004, 09:39:20 PM »

I actually thought there was a very small window too but when I used a bauble it improved my skill to the point where I realized there either was no window or the window is based on skill.

It's much much easier once you're higher and I've been able to click very slowly without losing fish.  Get a 10 cp bauble or do a quest that nets ya one like Gubber Blump (I think he mails you one a few days after the quest is complete)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2004, 10:11:12 PM »

You dont have to time it that way..Ive waited till the bobber bobbed then quit moving completely before clicking it and catch the fish. Also if you're new to fishing you need to fish low lvl water which is in noobie starting areas. If you have low skill and in higher water then you only get a bite every now and then and also miss the fish a lot more.

BTW in beta i also caught wierd stuff like weapons and stuff but the best item i caught was around 125 skill and was a blueprint for a deadly Steel Poinard dagger which had good damage and dps plus added stats like agility and stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2004, 02:07:03 AM »

I tried fishing again today and it wasn't nearly as frustrating.  I think perhaps my previous problems were due to lag or something.  I still missed a few, but it wasn't the majority of them like before.  I also wish you could left-click on the bobber; something about the constant right clicking (and tense anticipation) tends to cramp my hand.   :cry: Yeah, I'm a whiny baby.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: