http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 01:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars summer '08 resurgence  (Read 6373 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:06:49 PM »

Still looking to play some GW? The game still has a very healthy population and some of us are back playing. Tareeq and me have started a two-man guild called 'No Longer Seriously Playing' (NASA) and we're playing on weekends. Specifically, Sunday nights. If you still have goals to complete in GW we welcome you to join us, just let me know in this thread and we'll send you an invite. My main is Peear Geemar and Tareeq's is Fivefold Happiness.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »

This thread is sure getting a lot of views... but, where are the responses?!  nod

We sure had some fun in Guild Wars last night. Zaxxon and Toxo joined our budding guild, then we embarked on a vanquish of The Sage Lands. This turned out to be an epic two hour undertaking, and we lost Toxo halfway as he got disconnected. But we all made a good bundle of cash (at least 6 platinum each),and got a bunch of XP and gold loot. If anyone's still itching for some GW, get in-game and send me, or Tareeq, or Zaxxon or Toxo a message. Or respond to the thread!

My toons:

Peear Geemar
Persephone Giamra
Primavera Giamra
Xterminating Angel

Tareeq's toons:

Fivefold Happiness
Polly Morphous
and a bunch of others

Zaxxon:
Zaxxon Zingledorf
and a bunch of others

Toxo:
Toxo Exsulum
and a bunch of others

See you in game!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »

I tried getting into Guild Wars back when it came out, but the PvP focus just wasn't my thing.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:39 PM »

Oooh..I need to finish up the Prophecies and Nightfall campaigns..I may try to join you.  Add Nathan Starcutter (and many others) to the list.  I'll look you up on the weekends.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 04, 2008, 09:06:39 PM

Oooh..I need to finish up the Prophecies and Nightfall campaigns..I may try to join you.  Add Nathan Starcutter (and many others) to the list.  I'll look you up on the weekends.

Will you send you an invite tonight!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »

How do I leave the old guild?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 05, 2008, 01:27:36 PM

How do I leave the old guild?

You should be able to go into your Guild tab and click on the Leave Guild button, I believe.

Dreamshadow/Nathan, I tried sending you an invite last night but you hadn't left the old guild yet so I'll resend it again later tonight.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »

Click the little gold box to the left of your name.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

I responded to the OO post, but for those that don't cross over, I'm in as Swarth Knoble.  I have Prophecies and Nightfall completed. 

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 05, 2008, 02:54:52 PM

http://www.kepow.net/webpost/gw100.jpg

Is that the Guild tab you're talking about?  Don't see any way to leave guild.

I believe DonD is correct. you click on the box to the left on your name and it gives you the option to leave the guild.

DonD, will be happy to send you an invite later tonight. Make sure you've left whatever previous guild you were a part of so that the invite goes thru.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »

Since I haven't played this since the original launch... is there more PvE content now?  Perhaps with the expansions there is enough PvE content that I won't have to worry about the PvP.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 05, 2008, 04:36:18 PM

Since I haven't played this since the original launch... is there more PvE content now?  Perhaps with the expansions there is enough PvE content that I won't have to worry about the PvP.

Between the original game and the Factions/NightFall/Eye Of The North expansions there's a crap-ton of PvE content to get thru in GW, Arkon. Many people have this erroneous notion that the game is mainly PvP and that's not the case. You can play this game for months without touching the PvP. Also, you can start the game with either the original or Nightfall or Factions for a decent price and buy the other expansions as you go along. Check it out at guildwars.com and see if you want to join us in-game,man.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 05, 2008, 03:53:36 PM

Quote from: KePoW on August 05, 2008, 02:54:52 PM

http://www.kepow.net/webpost/gw100.jpg

Is that the Guild tab you're talking about?  Don't see any way to leave guild.

I believe DonD is correct. you click on the box to the left on your name and it gives you the option to leave the guild.

DonD, will be happy to send you an invite later tonight. Make sure you've left whatever previous guild you were a part of so that the invite goes thru.

Ok, ready for invite...character name:  Kepow X
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

There's plenty of PvE, I don't think anyone can actually even finish all of it.

You were never forced to do PvP even when the original came out, from what I remember...what are you referring to?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 05, 2008, 06:09:22 PM

There's plenty of PvE, I don't think anyone can actually even finish all of it.

You were never forced to do PvP even when the original came out, from what I remember...what are you referring to?

In the original there wasn't a ton of PvE content, and once you were done with it there was nothing left to do but PvP.  Equipment was basically non-existant, I believe they later added a way to capture skills etc, but I played in the first month of launch and in a 5-6 nights you could pretty much get through the whole PvE storyline from what I recall.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »

One of the strangest or most questionable things about GW was that it was built from the ground up as a player skill-based, team based competitive PvP game.  Yet aside from a couple of new PvP modes, all of the expansion content was largely PvE, and the longer the game went on, the clearer the emphasis became.  Somewhere along the line they shifted their development focus to PvE where clearly the game had been balanced from the base design for PvP.  So what this means is yes, there is tons of PvE content, and yes, much of it is pretty fun/interesting/engaging.  However, it never captured the essence of say, Diablo 2, wherein the loot was so interesting and cool you could make a character build around it.  Because of the frozen levelling system, the balancing to make PvP even, and the relative ease of re-speccing your character on the fly, even the most uber of loot really didn't make much difference.   

About a year or so in, I kept advocating some kind of system that would allow PvE and PvP to diverge.  Let PvE characters keep levelling and exploring and gaining uber loot, what would it hurt?  Of course, as you now know, they've moved on to GW2, where I think/hope/believe they are going to get this critical game balance design right.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »

I do believe I'll fire up my copy this weekend.  Pound for pound, only the Elder Scroll series has seen as much game time out of me in the last 10 years.   icon_biggrin

i'm ONE mission away from finishing the first game.  plus, i'd like to get some more time in with my assassin/dervish in the expansions.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 06:55:36 PM

I do believe I'll fire up my copy this weekend.  Pound for pound, only the Elder Scroll series has seen as much game time out of me in the last 10 years.   icon_biggrin

i'm ONE mission away from finishing the first game.  plus, i'd like to get some more time in with my assassin/dervish in the expansions.

hepcat, when you reload the game this weekend, post your main here so we can send you an invite into the new guild.

rittchard, I do believe ArenaNet is indeed addressing the issues you posted on GW2. The world PVP aspect, specially, sounds enticing.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:46 PM »

I got my character in the guild tonight.  He's a war/ranger only 13 at the moment.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »

I am going to try finding my original CD so I can reinstall this and give it a try.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 06, 2008, 11:55:28 PM

I am going to try finding my original CD so I can reinstall this and give it a try.

If you can't find them you can download the client here: http://guildwars.com/support/downloadclient/

warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 02:59:19 AM »

I'm on occasionally.  I have two characters:

Otto Menudo - level 20 and finished Prophecies campaign

Balanga Malanga - level 5 maybe and am just at the start of Nightfall.

I also have Eye of the North and haven't touched it yet.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 06, 2008, 07:15:42 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 06:55:36 PM

hepcat, when you reload the game this weekend, post your main here so we can send you an invite into the new guild.

rittchard, I do believe ArenaNet is indeed addressing the issues you posted on GW2. The world PVP aspect, specially, sounds enticing.

thanks, i just loaded it up to get the updates (man, i have been away a long time...that took forever) and my main is Thulsa Darkchylde.  If i recall correctly, getting that one into the guild will also put my others into it as well. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »

hepcat, I sent you an invite late last night! Warning, I tried to send you an invite but it tells me that none of your toons exist (?). Are the toons active and did you spelled their names correctly?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 07, 2008, 04:48:26 PM

hepcat, I sent you an invite late last night! Warning, I tried to send you an invite but it tells me that none of your toons exist (?). Are the toons active and did you spelled their names correctly?

hmmm...I thought that was the correct spelling.  I'll double check tonight after work and post it again.

thanks for the heads up!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 08, 2008, 04:13:42 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 07, 2008, 04:48:26 PM

hmmm...I thought that was the correct spelling.  I'll double check tonight after work and post it again.

thanks for the heads up!

I think he's talking to me.  And I'm 99% sure I'm spelling them right.  I'll double-check just to be certain.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »

icon_lol

i thought "warning" was an odd way to tell me he was having trouble with my character's name!

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »

This weekend is double-Alliance XP weekend. Alliance Battles (AB) is arguably GW's most fun multiplayer mode. It's PvP that you can jump in without being uber and still have a hell of a fun time. Jump in game this weekend and join us for some AB'ing!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »

Ok, I have a lvl 4 dervish named Arkon Sulastani.  I bought nightfall obviously, may get the other expansions as well.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 10, 2008, 11:21:01 AM

Ok, I have a lvl 4 dervish named Arkon Sulastani.  I bought nightfall obviously, may get the other expansions as well.

Arkon, I just sent you an invite. I'm working on NightFall myself with my Assasin, so I can help you get thru the campaign.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »

Any recommendations on what to pair with Dervish for my secondary profession?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

Sunday Night Guild Wars is now going on! 8/10 from 7pm 'til midnight. Log on to join in the fun--Ab'ng, Vanquishing, Title-earning, and more!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »

argh!  i got so tied up in other crap that i forgot to play this weekend.

please forgive this poor lout!  i'll be at gencon next weekend, but i'll try to log in this week for a bit.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »

I forgive you, poor lout hepcat. Your invite still stands there, unanswered, making us feel unrequited, but I trust you to do something about it soon.  icon_razz

At least we saw Arkon in game last night. He was there doing his thing while we played AB battles. Don't be shy, Arkon. You can join us in chat even if you're doing your own thang.

Thanks to Polly Morphous (Tareeq), Bacchus Tactilist (Miltonite) and Hemogobling Thief (Arcanis) for all the help doing AB battles and helping me get the first Luxon Supporter title. It wasn't easy; it was actually all pain--the Luxon faction just couldn't get their act together all night long and we lost every single game close to twenty-times in a row. But I got that title! Thanks again, guys.

I'll be on again tonight, doing whatever. Vanquishing? NightFall campaign? Helping people? Any of those.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 10, 2008, 05:06:34 PM

Any recommendations on what to pair with Dervish for my secondary profession?

I went with Elementalist, mainly for the defensive skills (earth spells).  Like most aspects of this game, you can't go wrong no matter what you pick.  And in the course of the campaign, you'll unlock the ability to switch secondaries at will.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 11, 2008, 02:12:53 PM

I forgive you, poor lout hepcat. Your invite still stands there, unanswered, making us feel unrequited, but I trust you to do something about it soon.  icon_razz

At least we saw Arkon in game last night. He was there doing his thing while we played AB battles. Don't be shy, Arkon. You can join us in chat even if you're doing your own thang.

Thanks to Polly Morphous (Tareeq), Bacchus Tactilist (Miltonite) and Hemogobling Thief (Arcanis) for all the help doing AB battles and helping me get the first Luxon Supporter title. It wasn't easy; it was actually all pain--the Luxon faction just couldn't get their act together all night long and we lost every single game close to twenty-times in a row. But I got that title! Thanks again, guys.

I'll be on again tonight, doing whatever. Vanquishing? NightFall campaign? Helping people? Any of those.

I am still trying to figure out the interface to where I am comfortable.  I am out of town for the week so won't be able to play, but hope to play some this weekend.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

Well, this GW resurgence is quickly becoming a fever (again!) for me. I logged on last night. Helped Zaxx, Tareeq, Craterus, and Milton do Gates Of Kryta on Hard Mode. Then, Tareeq, Milton, Craterus and me tried some Team Arena action, but we got creamed (we are really rusty when it comes to the PvP that's not Alliance Battles). After that, Milton, Fellstrike and me did AB'n for at least two hours. We won most of those matches.

I gotta contain myself.. so don't think I'll be on tonight.... well, maybe I'll be on late night. I really want to work on my Asassin and NightFall... and elite armor for my main monk.. and more AB'ng. Ugh! I gots the fever!
Homard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »

I'm interested in giving guild wars another go.  I've got a ranger/warrior up to level 10 and I'm still learning the basics.  Is there a way for me to use heroes in the Prophecies campaign instead of the henchmen?  I also have Factions and Nightfall, but haven't even entered them yet. 
  Anyway, Homard OO would love an invite to the new guild.  Perhaps I'll learn how to actually play a little this time around.

Pete
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »

You have to progress enough in the campaign to be able to sail across to Nightfall.  You will then be able to use heroes anywhere with that character.

On the other hand, if you start in Nightfall, you get heroes right from the get go (and can still take them anywhere you wish).

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »

Yes, Homard, you must have NightFall to get heroes. As Don posted, in NF, you get heroes right away and can take them with you to any of the other expansions. It's a great incentive for you to get NF, it's a great campaign pack. And yes, we'll send you an invite into the guild.

In the meantime, here's a taste of GW greatness. This little Alliance Battle moment was just recounted by our guild leader Tareeq (Fivefold Happiness, in game):

Postby Tareeq on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 am
I just had my best moment ever in over three years with this game, good enough that I felt like asking for a new password here to talk about it.

In alliance battle, I'm playing my ritualist with an AOE bombing build, being chased by two assassins, by myself, in Etnaran Keys. I stopped with my back to them, let them catch up at the same time. Dropped the ashes of grasping Kuurong before either could attack, knocking both down and preventing further attacks, activated a spirit of destruction (in other words, a short range bomb) and destroyed it with rupture soul (which blinds in addition to damaging), let them try to hit me, which they couldn't do while they were blind, and set off two AOE spells, killing both. I made it out with 50 hit points or so.

Pretty good for a support/healing character.

Back to lurking.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: