http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:59:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars - Still Worth Playing?  (Read 1172 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

I may want to get into a different MMO, but I'm not forking out $60 for TOR nevermind paying the monthly fees. I've never played Guild Wars, but something about having an account that I don't have to pay monthly fees for is appealing.  So 6 years later, how does it hold up? Graphics, quests, community, etc.? Or am I likely to find entire areas abandoned (as I did EQ2 a year ago), meaning I end up playing a single-player RPG with lousy quests?  How's crafting and all that?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

I haven't played GW in awhile, but I loved it just for playing the stories through. The graphics were great and I'm guessing still hold up well. Gameplay is fairly deep and more than simple button mashing. I have nothing bad to say about GW and the only reason I stopped was because I had pretty much done everything in the game.

The plusses are specs that you can load on the fly (and even paste in pre-made specs) and a full set of companions that enable you to do instances solo if you want. The expansions get progressively better and I loved Eye of the North and Nightfall.

Try the free trial and pick up the trilogy pack if you like it.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:37 AM »

If your looking for an MMO but want to avoid monthly fees excluding WoW, Rift and the just released Star Wars The old republic EVERY MMO out there has a free version; City of Heroes/Villians, Champions Online, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings online, Dungeon and Dragons Online, DC universe online, Anarchy Online. There are also the 2nd tier market MMO's like Rune of Magic and Forgotten worlds, also free.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »

It appears not to be. I started to download the free trial last night. It's a weird process, because you download a small file and create a character. Then it wants to download a bunch o' files. Considering it had a ton of stuff to download, I decided to let it run overnight. So I got up this morning, did my workout and checked on the progress.

Well, it seems that it connects you to the game after you download. Furthermore, the "two week trial" seems to have a time limit. So I checked it this morning to find out that I had a whopping 14 minutes of gameplay left in the trial. So much for that idea...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: