http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:42:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars Solo Play?  (Read 3786 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »

Can you easily finish the game using the NPC henchmen or do you really need to team up with real people?  One of the reviews said that NPC henchmen are ok, but don't really help at the higher levels.  Just wondering before I take the plunge.

Thanks
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:22:02 PM »

Reviews are right.  It's doable but some bonus quests (which are VERY nice) are going to be impossible.  And there's going to be a lot of times where you'll be screaming at your AI henchmen to heal you but they won't.  Let me put it this way, I've never done a story mission sucessfully with all AI henchmen, though I know of some who have.  I've quested TONS with all AI henchmen and it's doable for rinky-dink sidequests.  But there's a few quests where it's IMPOSSIBLE to do with all henchies because the enemies are just that nasty.  And again, I've had LOTS of frustrating moments with the henchmen.  LOTS.  Henchmen are meant to fill gaps in your group (can't find a healer, just grab the henchies), they are not meant to be a replacement for human players.  

If you plan to solo exclusively, then GW is not for you.  The game is built and meant to be played with other people.  

I'm level 18 right now, and I can still pull off an all-henchie trip.  But doing so in the story missions is not a good idea (but it can be done), and any sort of PvP (which is very big part of the game) is out of the question.

So my answer:  Technically yes but it's very hard and with lots of unecessary frustration.

Just Hiro will do.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:42:17 PM »

It depends what build you play.  Some are very good solo in PvE.  I know some builds that can solo a mission called "Thirty River" which is generally considered one of the toughest missions.

It can be difficult in the last stages of the game when your henchmen will not have special defence against a certain type of attack.  Most people would consider it frustrating to attempt the whole game solo, but then I know some people who enjoy the challenge.

BTW, it's trivially easy to get a pickup group.  You don't even have to bother with "Level 10 Ranger LFG" if you don't care too much about the pickup group makeup.  Just hit invite on a couple of group leaders and someone will surely let you in.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »

I like to do most or all side quests in a game, so maybe my character is higher level by the time I do the missions, but I don't have all that much trouble doing them with just henchmen.

I haven't finished the game though, so maybe that changes. But I also haven't had much trouble teaming up with groups, most of the time the people I've grouped with have played well, although there are occasional people who try to go too fast or even worse just drop out of the game.

But overall the game is so good, that minor problems like that don't bother me.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »

Do the henchmen stay with you if they survive the mission? Also if you are in a group and hire a henchmen, does he follow you directly or become part of your team?

What about when you disconnect for the day? What happens to any henchmen you may have hired?

Thinking about getting this game as well and the idea of AI-controlled teammates sounds like a lot of fun.. god knows how long I spent solo in everquest for the playstation 2 because nobody wanted to team up with a newbie.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:10:55 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Do the henchmen stay with you if they survive the mission? Also if you are in a group and hire a henchmen, does he follow you directly or become part of your team?

What about when you disconnect for the day? What happens to any henchmen you may have hired?

Thinking about getting this game as well and the idea of AI-controlled teammates sounds like a lot of fun.. god knows how long I spent solo in everquest for the playstation 2 because nobody wanted to team up with a newbie.

i think the important thing to know is that you don't really "hire" henchmen in the sense that you pay for their help or watch them improve over time.  the henchmen are all standing in a group near the exit of a common area (towns, outpost, forts, etc)...click the ones you want and hit the '+' sign for them to join your party.  they then show up in your party listing just like human players.  when you enter an instanced area, they tag along and attack the same enemies you are targeting...when you return to town on foot, they go with you so that you don't have to re-select them every time...quick travel with the map and you have to reform your party (humans too).  common areas farther in the game have higher-level henchmen available, and you'll also be allowed to form larger parties as the game gets harder (up to 8 in the later areas).  while you may be taking "Orion the Mage" with you on every mission, he won't gain levels over time...every time you select a henchman, they're at whatever the base level is for that town.  while you have access to the same characters throughout the game, you're just getting a generic AI-controlled player each time...they don't remember or benefit from any past experiences in the game.

if you've ever played Neverwinter Nights, it's similar to the henchman system there...you can always select the ones you want, and their level/experience is not related to anything you use them to do over time.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:19:34 AM »

Thanks for that information disarm! I got it last night and have been playing all night (now it's morning) I'm a level 5 necro/warrior wish I would have went ranger/monk though. Must have spent hours and hours in a group with myself, another new guy, and 2 henchmen.
Very addicting. We adventured out for what seemed like miles upon miles, finding new monsters and items and slowly gathering experience.

KC - definitely take the plunge. I got the game having the solo play in mind, and it doesn't disapoint.
You have to be online to play though, even if you are going solo with henchmen.
The henchmen are suprisingly good, our healer was always there healing us, helping with the attacks, and even resurecting me when I fell. (several times)
The warrior was there on the front lines with me (another warrior) taking the enemy head on, while the mage in the background cast fire down on the enemy.
I went from one town - to another miles away (it seemed anyway) with myself and 3 henchmen, no other human players. A very good journey.
At the next town I met up with another new guy and we went out together with 2 henchmen, and played for hours. As you adventure deep into unknown territory (seems like the land goes on forever) some of the enemies get real tough. REAL TOUGH.
In fact we called it a night when our entire party was killed - I went down first, followed by the henchman fighter, then the henchman healer, and finally the last human player (ranger/monk). We were overly confident on how far we'd gone, far away from any civilzation way out in the wilderness, we kept going down the path not knowing where it leads, but hoping to get wherever it ends, and ran blindly into battle against overwhelming odds and were slowly taken one by one through the hands of the enemy.

My opinion - 9/10 for this game. Can't believe I over looked it at Walmart the other night for $39.99 and I went last night and got it for $49.99 at EB Games since I didn't have any money left and had to trade in games!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »

So far, this is best online RPG game I have played.

This is only game I can play solo without problem. I played FFXI and Everquest(PS2) and it was so hard to play solo.

I am lvl. 11 W/M having a blast! Only downside is that items and money is so hard to get.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

Quote from: "biggercup"
I am lvl. 11 W/M having a blast! Only downside is that items and money is so hard to get.

that becomes much less of a problem later in the game...you'll have plenty of gold for all but the most expensive items (you just have to save for those), and items aren't really a focus of the game.  the developers have made it easier to acquire some unique items in the last few patches...unique items like runes/upgrades are easier to salvage, and you can now buy runes from traders.  rest assured that you will have a much easier time with both of those issues once you get a little farther in the game Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 09:07:53 PM »

I've got a level 8 Ranger/Necro and can't believe how damn cool this is. If this keeps up to level 20 this is EASILY my GOTY.
Truly amazing and fresh feeling game.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 09:43:07 PM »

Just a heads up for everyone.  Once you get to the Crystal Desert, you're going to run into a doozy of a wall.  The Trials are a very frustrating set of missions.  Henchies won't really cut it in these missions.  But if you grit your teeth and get through them (through grouping with randoms or whatever), it goes back to fun again.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: